Does anyone like the new Toyota/Lexus grilles?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Browser

Does anyone like the new Toyota/Lexus grilles?

Post by Browser » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:49 pm

I've been shopping vehicles for awhile and Toyota/Lexus has always been at the top of my list. But lately, Toyota seems to have gone "all in" with the same front-end styling on it's vehicles, including the new Camry, the Highlander, and Lexus models. The bottom half almost completely takes over the lower front bumper. The front grille gapes open to reveal tons of metal slats. It looks like a face with the lower jaw removed. Someone called it the "angry fish mouth." Here's the Camry:

Does anyone find this styling attractive, or do you wonder what went wrong in the Toyota design department? It looks bad enough to me in TV ads or internet graphics, but I saw my first live Camry yesterday and it looked even more comical than the pictures. This design seems so bad to me, I'm not even considering this brand anymore. Is it just me, or do others feel the same?
Last edited by Browser on Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

knpstr

Re: Does anyone like the new Toyota/Lexus grilles?

Post by knpstr » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:54 pm

my wife likes them (but she drives a newer fusion) I don't care for them.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:01 pm

Personally think they look better on Camry and Corolla that the ES but I saw an ES the other day that looked okay so maybe they are going on me. Personally I think the inside redo is just as bad as the grille but I have a Lexus and I love it and my dealer so they will be at the top of my list when I need a new vehicle. The new grille makes it easier to keep my current Lexus.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

Leif

Post by Leif » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:30 pm

I've had many Camry's and I was thinking perhaps the next would be a Lexus.

But those grilles are really awful. I don't know that I can buy a car with that.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:51 pm

I love the "spindle" grills. I think it adds a lot of style to a boring appliance automobile. I think its a daring style change that will clash with the more traditional Toyota client. The average age of Toyota buyers are getting older and older. I can see why they would want to attract younger demographics.

saw a Lexus IS the other day and thought to myself. Finally, a Lexus I like because it looks good instead of because its reliable luxury.

jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:57 pm

We own a 2012 Camry hybrid and much prefer our grille to the new ones. That said I spend more time behind the wheel than I do gawking at the front of our car so if there are improvements to the rest of the car I could probably live with the ugly grille.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:18 pm

:shock:

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:42 pm

Ouch :shock:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Pinotage

Post by Pinotage » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:52 pm

OP: To keep this personal and actionable (because otherwise it seems a lot like a general comment/rant thread), what car(s) are you more likely to purchase based on superior styling?

My $0.02 - Yes, I like the styling. I find it significantly more contemporary than recent offerings from Toyota or Lexus, and it would not deter me from purchasing a vehicle I otherwise desired. I recently purchased a vehicle and looked at several Toyotas in the process. Overall, fairly impressed.

DonDraper

Post by DonDraper » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:58 pm

My parents have owned three Camry's in a row but my mother refuses to buy a fourth because of the grill.

sambb

Post by sambb » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:09 pm

i like it. I wouldn't be surprised if older or elderly people, or those who are more conservative, prefer a buick look instead however.
Last edited by sambb on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:18 pm

mmmodem wrote:I love the "spindle" grills. I think it adds a lot of style to a boring appliance automobile. I think its a daring style change that will clash with the more traditional Toyota client. The average age of Toyota buyers are getting older and older. I can see why they would want to attract younger demographics.

saw a Lexus IS the other day and thought to myself. Finally, a Lexus I like because it looks good instead of because its reliable luxury.
I am younger and am theoretically who Toyota is trying to attract with the new Corolla and Camry. They failed miserably and I do not like the new grilles at all. They had me, too, because my family has had a ton of Toyotas, a Rav4, 4Runner, Solara, Highlander, etc, and I was fully prepared to purchase a Corolla or Camry for myself. Not anymore, I will pass. I'm not even considering any Toyotas at this point.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:00 am

I own both an older Lexus and Toyota and definitely would not consider either, specifically because of the grille. On the other hand my wife says there is no way in he.. that she is going to give up her 2001 ES300 with only 63K miles on it!
Tom D.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:41 am

2011 Camry owner here.

Hmm... yeah, I'm not a big fan of the new design. The bumper grille is too much.

At least the interior is nice. I like the leather covered shifter.

canderson

Post by canderson » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:54 am

We have a 14 RAV4 and like it. I LOVE the new Lexus NX grilles, so much it is pushing me to but one soon.

tjwolf

Post by tjwolf » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:38 am

Was going to buy a lexus this year. Thought that early photos were ugly, but that they could not be that ugly in person. They are even uglier than pictured. Even thought of blanking some of the profile out with paint. Body work on a new car? Not by me!

Going to get my first Honda product, an Acura instead!
Tom

Lafder

Post by Lafder » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:39 am

I miss bumpers that absorbed mild bumps instead of the whole front end cracking and needing replacement if you tap something.
lafder

Browser

Post by Browser » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:48 am

Pinotage wrote:OP: To keep this personal and actionable (because otherwise it seems a lot like a general comment/rant thread), what car(s) are you more likely to purchase based on superior styling?

My $0.02 - Yes, I like the styling. I find it significantly more contemporary than recent offerings from Toyota or Lexus, and it would not deter me from purchasing a vehicle I otherwise desired. I recently purchased a vehicle and looked at several Toyotas in the process. Overall, fairly impressed.
Agree. I have the conflict between really liking the brand and being put off by the front end styling. Since I've been shopping awhile I guess I'm trying to get a gist of what other people think of these. Maybe it's not so bad and something I can grow fond of. Unfortunately, in general I've found I'm not so crazy about the styling of most Japanese and Asian vehicles these days. Sort of full of swoops, angles and creases and just don't have the kind of classic look that you think will still look good 5 or 10 years from now. European and American car styling looks better to me and just wondering whether I've changed or other people have noticed this also.

fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:48 am

Agree, that look is butt ugly. For some inexplicable reason Lexus decided to mimic Audi who was first to redefine ugly. Surely this silliness will pass just as those tailfins that Detroit foisted on us in the mid fifties finally disappeared. Hopefully this look will go away sooner rather than later.

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:03 am

canderson wrote:We have a 14 RAV4 and like it. .
I have a 2008 RAV4 which I like for short distances and when I need 4WD but it has the most uncomfortable seats I've ever sat in, it is loud (road noise) and it has been recalled six times. Are the new ones any better?
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

BTDT

Post by BTDT » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:09 am

I don't care for the new Lexus grill and chose to not to replace my LS460 with new, but than again I'm old so what do I know? :oops:
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:12 am

I think the new Toyota grilles are ugly, I'd never buy one. I did have a Corolla as a rental last month and actually liked the interior, through.

The last Camry I liked the looks of was the 1992-1996 era.

The Lexus grilles look better than Toyota to me, but still not great. IS looks pretty good to me overall.

All-time worst car front-end to me is the 2009 and newer Acura TL. Looks like something you would plane wood with.

I think the Ford Fusion is one of the better looking non-luxury new cars out there.

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:23 am

I don't like them. We are shopping now, but won't be buying a Lexus. Lexus doesn't seem to be keeping up as much as other brands. We like the BMW, Infiniti, and the Hyundai better than the Lexus.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:25 am

Last night I saw a Lexus NX 200t for the first time parked in the building where I live. I will have to say it got my attention. However, I found the look of the car to be too bold for my taste. I wouldn't buy one.
Best Wishes, | Joe

Browser

Post by Browser » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:50 am

Maybe it's a demographic thing. They must have done some kind of market research. Perhaps the new grille design appeals more to a younger demographic and Toyota/Lexus is trying to increase share in that demographic. That leaves me out.

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:53 am

I like it because I think it looks sporty.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:57 am

Don't like them but bought a new Highlander anyway. Mainly because the new Pilot is not due out until next summer and my wife couldn't wait that long for a new vehicle.

But then the new Highlander doesn't look as bad as those photos you linked to.

A-Commoner

Post by A-Commoner » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:01 pm

I like the new Lexus grill. The new design motif seems to be also helping sales.

http://roa.h-cdn.co/assets/15/02/980x49 ... 9-edit.jpg

A-Commoner

Post by A-Commoner » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:12 pm

For those who think the Lexus spindle grill is too aggressive, there are actually 2 versions you can choose from. The F sport version of their cars is the in-your-face aggressive look that produces love-it-or-hate-it reactions. Then there is the more sedate and conservative looking non F sport version. The F sport version has stiffer suspension, larger wheels and brakes, and other sporty tweaks. The non F sport version has more luxurious amenities that Lexus is traditionally known for.

eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:31 pm

No doubt Toyota anticipates selling Camrys to racers. The huge grille surely was designed to carefully guide air to the engine and brakes. I trust there's a wing - no one wants to go 180 mph without efficient aero.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:33 pm

Browser wrote:Maybe it's a demographic thing. They must have done some kind of market research. Perhaps the new grille design appeals more to a younger demographic and Toyota/Lexus is trying to increase share in that demographic. That leaves me out.
I am sure they want to bring in younger buyers. I remember reading recently (Marketwatch I think) a list of 10 cars with the oldest buyers and Lexus was definitely on the list. I'm 48 and love my 2010 Lexus Rx350, but I don't like the picture of the Toyota shown above.

My other car, however, is a Red Hot (as in the candy) red 1967 VW Bug that I never drive and can't part with, so I think I'm stuck in another time zone anyway.

Browser

Post by Browser » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:38 pm

I keep visualizing that Camry grille full of dead bugs. :happy

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:43 pm

Browser wrote:I keep visualizing that Camry grille full of dead bugs. :happy
This is precisely why I keep my VW bug (which feels as safe as driving in a tin can) parked in the garage. But it is SO cute.

Peace.

Leif

Post by Leif » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:18 pm

topper1296 wrote:I like it because I think it looks sporty.
I have a Porsche. That is sporty. This grille is simply ugly.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:51 pm

texasdiver wrote:Don't like them but bought a new Highlander anyway. Mainly because the new Pilot is not due out until next summer and my wife couldn't wait that long for a new vehicle.

But then the new Highlander doesn't look as bad as those photos you linked to.
1) I found many recent Toyota models too boring in design, but like the new direction and increases my interest.

2) My first impression of the Lexus spindle wasn't initially good, but I've grown to like it the more I see it and now the older Lexus before the spindle looks dated to me.

3) I've been a fan of Acura and like the premium Honda benefits, but the beak font end has kept me away for many years. Just can't get over it, and hope they finally move away to something better IMO.

4) Been waiting for the new 2016 Pilot (don't like the current box), and here it is:

http://www.chicagoautoshow.com/vehicles ... nda/pilot/
http://automobiles.honda.com/2016-pilot/

Initial/first impression is that it's not as much like the MDX as a blown up CRV. I do like it more than past Pilot and will definite consider it.

Browser

Post by Browser » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:17 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the new Pilot. I've been waiting to get a look and it might be in the running. Not crazy about the gap shown between second and third row seats when the rear seats are folded flat for cargo. I can imagine that being a PITA when you are loading boxes in there and you have to keep some from falling through the gap. What the heck are these design engineers thinking, anyway?Much better styling than the grille-ugly Highlander, though I liked the way that one drove. Now I'm waiting for the Buick Envision which has been introduced in China and probably coming here soon. Have always preferred Japanese brands for reliability but Consumer Reports gives Buick SUVs high marks so I might defect back to American brands. I owned a Ford so many years ago that was such pile of c*** that I swore I'd never buy an American brand as long as I lived. So far I haven't. Anyway, soon as that one is out and I see the RDX refresh due this Spring, I believe, I'll finally decide what to buy. It won't be a Toyota or Lexus, I'm thinking. Those grilles scare me.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:26 pm

It's an aggressive styling, which I understand, but I think they've gone too far so as to make it borderline unattractive.

JT

canderson

Post by canderson » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:32 pm

jebmke wrote:
canderson wrote:We have a 14 RAV4 and like it. .
I have a 2008 RAV4 which I like for short distances and when I need 4WD but it has the most uncomfortable seats I've ever sat in, it is loud (road noise) and it has been recalled six times. Are the new ones any better?
We have the Limited and I find them comfortable, have had several 3 hour trips and a few 6 hour ones. I didn't like that 06-12 model era RAV4 much.

rotorhead

Post by rotorhead » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:39 pm

As Lexus owner since 1994, I have very disappointed by their style changes, both interior and exterior, since 2007. Don't really care for them at all. My wife's car is 2002 RX-300. It's "right sized" and still looks good after 12 1/2 years. The new models have grown too large and heavy; and we just don't like the looks. Will face a dilemma later this year as we contemplate its replacement.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:41 pm

I've been a Lexus owner since the very first 1990 LS400. I didn't like the new look when it first came out a few years ago, but it's grown on me, We also have a Corolla and that, too, has grown on us.

Gort

Post by Gort » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:17 pm

Toyota designers have lost it. Take a look at the new Toyota 4 Runner:
http://www.fark.com/comments/7724530/To ... Ugly-Stick

Browser

Post by Browser » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:33 pm

Gort wrote:Toyota designers have lost it. Take a look at the new Toyota 4 Runner:
http://www.fark.com/comments/7724530/To ... Ugly-Stick
Geez. That one gets the uggo award. They sure are committed to the "angry fish mouth" front end design aren't they? What model is next?

Browser

Post by Browser » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:48 pm

Spotted: could this be the new Toyota concept car?

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:27 pm

Grilles have gone downhill since Superfly

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:31 pm

NO!!!!!

JustDucky

Post by JustDucky » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:54 pm

Awful in my opinion. In fact, I'm glad they went to that design. It gave me the chance to look at other cars I hadn't considered before when it was time to sell my 2006 LE model. I test drove all the mid-size models, and went with a new 2015 Subaru Legacy. Boy! Am I glad I did. No comparison.

I"m 6'3", 250 lbs and the Legacy was a perfect fit. Here's why:

better seats, more power (4 cl), all wheel drive, better safety rating, quieter and not as affected by cross winds. Oh - and I don't have to be seen with that awful front end grill. (it also felt of plastic, wouldn't take too many rocks to knock holes in it)

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:05 pm

I'll say it again. I am young and I have friends who are young. None of us are clamoring for a Camry or Corolla. If anything, this might be Toyota's way of making older people feel young and cool. Younger people want cars like the Mazda3, Ford Focus, the Dodge Dart, and some subcompacts.

msi

Post by msi » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:21 pm

It looks better in person. Same with Acura's smiley grill, which they've toned down a little from the first year they switched to it. I imagine Toyota/Lexus will do the same thing eventually.

A-Commoner

Post by A-Commoner » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:01 pm

msi wrote:It looks better in person. Same with Acura's smiley grill, which they've toned down a little from the first year they switched to it. I imagine Toyota/Lexus will do the same thing eventually.
Acura's sales dropped after it adopted the "beak" grill. Lexus sales, however, actually increased when it put the spindle grill on its cars. The Lexus IS, for instance, had lackluster sales prior to the 2014 redesign. But in 2014, the spindle grill was adopted. The engine remained the same 2.5/3.5 V6, though. Sales surged 46% in 2014 relative to 2013. By comparison, the overall small luxury car segment sales increased 13%. Apparently the market must like the grill. Correlation isn't causation, but still the grill didn't hurt sales.

Acura is a great company. Hopefully it will recover from its doldrums. Judging from refreshed offerings of the MDX, RDX, ILX, and TLX, Acura looks poised to regain its footing. Its cars offer better value than Lexus....for the money, Acura vehicles are packed with technology and also offer above average reliability, just like Lexus.

There is no perfect car. The enemy of the good car is the search for the perfect car.

Mingus

Post by Mingus » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:03 am

I don't like it. Sort of ugly. Glad I'm not in the market for a Toyota for several more years.

I have a 2013 Camry. Styling is alright.

When I had the "free" oil change last month, I saw the new Camry and from some angles it looked good, but not from the front. I even sat in one, and the interior was ever so slightly different, but had an air of cheapness to it.