Where to buy nice men's dress shirts?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Cycle37

Re: Where to buy nice men's dress shirts?

Post by Cycle37 »

Land's End shirts wear like steel , come in Traditional, slim and fit and are very fashionable. Can be returned for free at any Sears store as they own Land's End.
bluemarlin08

Post by bluemarlin08 »

I love wearing custom made shirts, been using these folks for years, they have a 50% off with free shipping now:

http://www.bestcustomshirt.com/Fabrics.php?Pr=2
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

Userdc wrote:I've tried everything but I keep coming back to the BB non-iron slim fits.

I wish they were a little cheaper and the elbows didn't tear so easily, but I haven't found any off-the-rack shirts that match up in terms of fit, look, and comfort.

I just stock up a couple of times a year during the sales.
It's funny, I've never had a BB shirt tear at the elbow, but almost every Jos A Banks shirt I have ever had tore in that spot or at the point where the arm seam joins the cuff.
auggiedoggies

Post by auggiedoggies »

Big fan of Charles Tyrwhitt. Got in on the Black Friday sale this year, they were about $30 a pop. Material is noticeably higher quality compared to my Men's Wearhouse shirts
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

I've found the JAB shirts (Traveler style) to be far superior to the Department store shirts I used to get - Van Heusen, Geoffrey Beene, Kenneth Cole, etc. Haven't had any tears or wearing issues in the ~4 years I've owned them.

My biggest problem is that nothing actually fits me. I'm relatively short, with short arms, with an eleven-inch drop, and pretty much everything has a 6-inch drop, even if it's slim fit. Really starting to strongly consider getting a regular tailor. I recently received a flyer from CT and was looking at them seriously, and then getting alterations. In the meantime, I tried an online order with Modern Tailor. We'll see how that goes.
Retirement investing is a marathon.
anil686

Post by anil686 »

I like the Kirkland Signature from Costco - but admitedly it is not "nice" as in formal nice. As a physician, though, I think it is on par (by visual acuity) with what my colleagues wear but then again, I see many of my colleagues at Costco so maybe it is not suprising :happy
sesq

Post by sesq »

Userdc wrote:I've tried everything but I keep coming back to the BB non-iron slim fits.

I wish they were a little cheaper and the elbows didn't tear so easily, but I haven't found any off-the-rack shirts that match up in terms of fit, look, and comfort.
I stopped buying them because of the elbow tear issue, so you aren't alone. I do think they "delivered" on the non-iron promise better than other brands, including Charles Tyrwhitt, JAB, etc.
swaption

Post by swaption »

Been getting all my shirts at Charles Tyrwhitt the last few years and very happy. Noticed a curious thing, I think the neck sizes run marginally on the small side, and then shrink over time, so I just got some new shirts a half neck size larger (and if you think it is just me getting fat, I do have a Brooks Brothers shirt as a control). But interetingly, at the half size larger I was able to go to the extra slim fit as the overall dimensions of the shirt changed.

As well, you might poke around and "like" Charles Tyrwhitt on Facebook. I have been getting an offer on FB for $39.95 shirts with free shipping, which is pretty good and compares quite favorably to their standard offer of $199 for four shirts.
Mandrale

Post by Mandrale »

Has anyone heard of / tried a brand called Hammer Made? I notice them around my location quite a bit, but the price seems high for a shirt at ~$150 per.
kingsnake

Post by kingsnake »

I like Brooks Brothers (slim fit non iron) and also Banana Republic (slim fit non iron).
CT sounds promising...but I'd like to try one on to know for sure what size to get before ordering.
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

No iron shirts require a tumble dryer. In the past I found this would cause the collar points to wear through prematurely, particularly noticeable in dark solid colors. For the past 5 years I've attached small binder clips to the collar points before putting shirts in the dryer and have increased their longevity dramatically. Enjoy!
"Pretired", working 20 h/wk. AA 75/25: 30% TSM, 19% value (VFVA/AVUV), 18% Int'l LC, 8% emerging, 25% GFund/VBTLX. Military pension ≈60% of expenses. Pension+SS@age 70 ≈100% of expenses.
AndyJames

Post by AndyJames »

Over the years, I have worn Turnbull & Asher, Paul Stuart, Brooks Bros., Thomas Pink, Eton, J. Crew, Land's End and Kirkland (Costco) brands, and found that the nicer shirts do iron easier and have a sheen that the less expensive ones do not. Most of the more expensive shirts do not come in the non-iron variety. If you like to prolong the life of your shirts, do not send them to the dry cleaners. Iron them yourself. You'll save some $$$ as well as enjoy your shirts longer.

Having said that, I believe that the Kirkland shirts offers the best value for the money. They can easily be mistaken for the higher end Saks Fifth/Neiman Marcus store brand shirts. The Kirkland shirt materials do have a nice sheen to them. The only draw back is they only come in with the non-iron coating, which is not the most comfortable. Nevertheless, the Kirkland shirts come in nice patterns that can be worn with suits, dress pants to Khakis and even jeans.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

I suspect that the nicer looking or expensive shirts with a sheen might actually last for a much shorter length of time. Expensive shirts are made out of finer yarns, which results in a higher thread count. The feel and sheen of the material - what makes it expensive - is also what makes it less durable. Smaller fabric fibers produce shirts that are softer to the touch. But they will also fray more easily.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

Ruby wrote:
joe8d wrote:JC Penny. Stratford Dress Shirts.
+ 1
I, too, like JC Penney's Stratford Dress Shirts. They hold up well, look and fit pretty good, and the price is great.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

MGBGTV8 wrote:So what about the construction of the shirt makes it worth paying more for? I could never figure that out. Anyone have any hints on how to evaluate them?
I want a shirt that is long enough that the shirt tail extends past my butt. I also want a shirt that has at least seven buttons and a couple of replacements should I lose one. I also like to see few if any loose threads.

Personally, I am NOT as much of a stickler on the cost of a shirt as many are. However, it is critical that you buy shirts that FIT well. That will involve getting out a tape measure and measuring your neck, your chest, and your arm length. If I really cared anymore (I am retired and my new uniform are shorts and a t-shirt 10.5 months a year.), I would probably go to good tailor and have three shirts made to my specifications. Then I would buy several shirts from some of the places mentioned and see if they measure up.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

I just bought Costco Slim Fit shirts at $12.99 each today - discounted from $17.99.

Higher quality than more expensive shirts from Macys.

Mike
srt7

Post by srt7 »

I am surprised no one mentioned Ralph Lauren's Polo brand. I've got one from a decade ago that still looks good. Bought a few lately and they're still the same quality it seems. The polo logo is starting to grow old though and the large logos are just stupid looking.
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

kjvmike wrote:I just bought Costco Slim Fit shirts at $12.99 each today - discounted from $17.99.

Higher quality than more expensive shirts from Macys.

Mike
Agreed. I've bought a few and they just won't wear out :happy
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
travellight

Post by travellight »

We recently found a place that measures you and then has it made in Shanghai and it is sent to you 2-3 weeks later. Indochino:http://www.thefineyounggentleman.com/su ... it-review/

We didn't end up ordering from them but it is interesting to know about the options.
swaption

Post by swaption »

swaption wrote:Been getting all my shirts at Charles Tyrwhitt the last few years and very happy. Noticed a curious thing, I think the neck sizes run marginally on the small side, and then shrink over time, so I just got some new shirts a half neck size larger (and if you think it is just me getting fat, I do have a Brooks Brothers shirt as a control). But interetingly, at the half size larger I was able to go to the extra slim fit as the overall dimensions of the shirt changed.

As well, you might poke around and "like" Charles Tyrwhitt on Facebook. I have been getting an offer on FB for $39.95 shirts with free shipping, which is pretty good and compares quite favorably to their standard offer of $199 for four shirts.
Just got a CT Facebook promo ad for $29 a shirt, as compared to $199 for four shirts. This is about as good as it gets. Maybe you can get this by "liking" their site or perhaps one can call and mention the FB thing. It may be just for today.
robert88

Post by robert88 »

srt7 wrote:I am surprised no one mentioned Ralph Lauren's Polo brand. I've got one from a decade ago that still looks good. Bought a few lately and they're still the same quality it seems. The polo logo is starting to grow old though and the large logos are just stupid looking.
I would never wear a dress shirt with a logo to work.
chaz

Post by chaz »

joe8d wrote:JC Penny. Stratford Dress Shirts.
A true BH shopper. :)
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Toons

Post by Toons »

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
chaz

Post by chaz »

Another true BH shopper.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
JerseyKC

Post by JerseyKC »

Stafford was my "everyday" shirt for many years but quality dropped quite a bit last couple of years. I did try ordering a few online but 3 of the 5 had flaws (bubble on collar and sleeve, tear at the cuff). I keep a couple of their 100% cotton twill shirts for special occasions and am amazed by the drop off in quality of the current product.

I've been purchasing Lands End when I've had to, our company has gone "causal" all the time if not customer facing so I probably won't need too many more dress shirts.

As for Department Store, I have found that Nautica and Michael Kors to be good when on sale. If you live near a Lord and Taylor, check out Black/Brown 1826, it is a store brand but designed by Joe Abboud, nice stuff.
pomomojo

Post by pomomojo »

As a disclaimer, I choose to spend money on nice clothes. I have no experience with JCP or Walmart shirts, but if they are worse than Macy's stock, I would not recommend choosing them as daily wearers.

I echo the posters who recommended Charles Tyrwhitt and Brooks Brothers. The former has some type of internet promotion throughout the year, and the latter offers one of the most comprehensive sizing stocks among large, specialty men's retailers. I wear a shirt and tie to work everyday. My "default" shirt is a slim fit, Brooks Brothers "Luxury" line. The fabrics are Italian and the manufacturing is based out of North Carolina (Garland Shirt Co). They usually retail for$168-185, though can be had at significant discount throughout the year.

If you want to splurge, Italian and British brands dominate the luxury market. I like Turnbull & Asser. They are machine made with nice fabrics. Among the Italians, Finamore and Barba are my favorite. Barba tends to offers more casual shirts with adventuresome patterns. Borrelli has not been the same after a turnover around five years ago. I've never owned Kiton--too expensive, $600+ for ready to wear shirting.
Last edited by pomomojo on Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toons

Post by Toons »

chaz wrote:
Another true BH shopper.
:thumbsup
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

pomomojo wrote: I echo the posters who recommended Charles Tyrwhitt and Brooks Brothers. The former has some type of internet promotion throughout the year, and the latter offers one of the most comprehensive sizing stocks among large, specialty men's retailers. I wear a shirt and tie to work everyday. My "default" shirt is a slim fit, Brooks Brothers "Luxury" line. The fabrics are Italian and the manufacturing is based out of North Carolina (Garland Shirt Co). They usually retail for$168-185, though can be had at significant discount throughout the year.
FYI, there is currently a $50 off $100 deal for Charles Tyrwhitt at LivingSocial. This weekend, you can get an additional $10 off the $50 you pay with a Presidents' Day code, so it's $40 for $100 of CT gear. Can't be combined with other deals you might find out there, but it's good enough for me to take the leap and try them out.
poker27

Post by poker27 »

kenyan wrote:
pomomojo wrote: I echo the posters who recommended Charles Tyrwhitt and Brooks Brothers. The former has some type of internet promotion throughout the year, and the latter offers one of the most comprehensive sizing stocks among large, specialty men's retailers. I wear a shirt and tie to work everyday. My "default" shirt is a slim fit, Brooks Brothers "Luxury" line. The fabrics are Italian and the manufacturing is based out of North Carolina (Garland Shirt Co). They usually retail for$168-185, though can be had at significant discount throughout the year.
FYI, there is currently a $50 off $100 deal for Charles Tyrwhitt at LivingSocial. This weekend, you can get an additional $10 off the $50 you pay with a Presidents' Day code, so it's $40 for $100 of CT gear. Can't be combined with other deals you might find out there, but it's good enough for me to take the leap and try them out.
Interesting!

Any idea if this can be used towards their 'sale' prices? I typically see shirts in the 40-60 range with their 'MSRP' being double or triple.
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

poker27 wrote:
kenyan wrote:
Interesting!

Any idea if this can be used towards their 'sale' prices? I typically see shirts in the 40-60 range with their 'MSRP' being double or triple.
It can be used on their combo offers (like their standard 4 for $199). Reports are that it can be used on their Clearance items as well, which seem to run between $29-45/shirt, but with limited availability. It sounds like it might not be eligible for their periodic sales. The typical non-Clearance prices I'm seeing are $59 (iron) and $69 (non-iron).
Pizzasteve510

Post by Pizzasteve510 »

Dutch wrote:Brooks Brothers non-iron.

Slim-fit (I believe they call it Regent now) if you have the body type for it.

Cheap in the long run.
Make sure you check if they are the cheaper outlet version or the true retail quality shirts. There is a noticed quality difference after many washes. The outlet version has a number on the label "356" if I remember correctly. They more rarely have the superior 'retail store shirts' on sale at outlets or online anymore, according to an outlet store manager.
Last edited by Pizzasteve510 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poker27

Post by poker27 »

kenyan wrote:
poker27 wrote:
kenyan wrote:
Interesting!

It can be used on their combo offers (like their standard 4 for $199). Reports are that it can be used on their Clearance items as well, which seem to run between $29-45/shirt, but with limited availability. It sounds like it might not be eligible for their periodic sales. The typical non-Clearance prices I'm seeing are $59 (iron) and $69 (non-iron).
Gotcha, thanks. So assuming you get their 4 for 200 deal, it would end up being 4 for 150 after the $50 savings from living social, + freight. So probably just over $40 per shirt w/ freight. Certainly a pretty good deal.

Problem with CT is that they always have some sort of sale, and you need to think about it 5 different ways on what will be best. Depending on free freight, selection, ties, how many shirts you want, yada, yada.
robert88

Post by robert88 »

Pizzasteve510 wrote:

Cheap in the long run.
Make sure you check if they are the cheaper outlet version or the true retail quality shirts. There is a noticed quality difference after many washes.
I wish people would quantify this more. Then, it might be useful. I've never had a shirt last more than about 80 machine washes.
Singlewhip

Post by Singlewhip »

1) brooks brothers. I am a big guy and can't find regular sizes at the outlets but if you are a regular size the outlets are a great value.
2) Landsend. Very good shirts, especially their Hyde park thicker shirts
swaption

Post by swaption »

poker27 wrote:
kenyan wrote:
poker27 wrote:
kenyan wrote:
Interesting!

Gotcha, thanks. So assuming you get their 4 for 200 deal, it would end up being 4 for 150 after the $50 savings from living social, + freight. So probably just over $40 per shirt w/ freight. Certainly a pretty good deal.

Problem with CT is that they always have some sort of sale, and you need to think about it 5 different ways on what will be best. Depending on free freight, selection, ties, how many shirts you want, yada, yada.
If you can get the $29 Facebook offer, it works out well. Seems to apply to pretty much all of their shorts. Limit was 5 shirts, with shipping of $15, so all in it is $32 per shirt. Would be curious to see if the Living Social thing could be used on top of that, but somehow I doubt that.
fallschurch

Post by fallschurch »

JohnFiscal wrote:I have been wearing JAB button down pinpoints daily for ~14 years. Several in each color. They have held up well and I find them a lot better than the "designer" shirts at Dillards, Macys, etc. I have a couple from Paul Fredericks but was never as pleased with them as with the JAB...didn't seem to be as well made or material as nice. Now that JAB is owned by Mens' Wearhouse the market may change.

Have been tempted to try the Brooks Brothers but never got around to it. I remember being rung up at the BB counter a very, very long time ago and the clerk said "ah, yes, the sign of the golden fleece!" (their corporate emblem, the lamb in the sling). I wondered if I was the one being "fleeced".

I don't like the "no iron" all-cotton shirts. I'm going to iron the p*ss out of them anyway, I like CRISP. and the no-iron finish changes the texture of the cotton. (ETA: yes, I iron my own shirts)
The JAB shirts then, are they no-iron or must-iron? Because every single dress shirt in the entire store according to my know ledge had been chemically treated. For low budget folks like myself, dont have a choice really.
JohnFiscal
Location: US citizen now retired in Canada. Subject to income tax in both.

Post by JohnFiscal »

Checking the website, it seems they are all now "permanent press". Too bad.
dubsem

Post by dubsem »

Macy's during sales for Alfani, Calvin Klein, Perry Ellis $10 each (sometimes cheaper!)

Premium outlets at your favorite brand stores or the off-department stores (ie. Saks off 5th, Last Call Neiman, Bloomingdale's outlet, Barney's warehouse).
G.O.O.D.
Onion

Post by Onion »

I do buy Land's End shirts when I can get them on a steep discount, otherwise, I purchase Costco shirts.
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

Robert Graham. Excellent quality and excellent fit.
Kingk13

Post by Kingk13 »

I buy Stafford dress shirts from JCP. I usually get them for $12-15. They are not the best quality but for the price I wear them as long as I can then throw them out. I prefer the fitted dress shirt.
Kathleen Ryan

Post by Kathleen Ryan »

Question: Where to buy nice men's dress shirts?"

Answer: The same place where to buy, "Bad Boys" dress shirts. 8-)

I shop at Macy's when the shirts are on sale, for both the nice men and the bad boys.
Best wishes, | Kathleen
Qtman

Post by Qtman »

Cheap in the long run.
:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
Brooks Bros non iron dress shirts are the best at a reasonable price. Time & money saved not ironing or dry cleaning makes them bogle worthy and wear forever. :D
Don’t wear yourself out trying to get rich; be wise enough to control yourself. | Wealth can vanish in the wink of an eye. It can seem to grow wings and fly away | like an eagle. - King Solomon
StarsandStripes

Post by StarsandStripes »

I have 2 Lands End shirts that I purchased about 1980, still look good and still wear them.

Thanks for the Costco tip.
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Brooks Brothers and Nordstrom for the dressy stuff. I like the Joseph A Bank-styles, but I find that many of their shirts begin to fray at the cuffs pretty quickly.

My job permits business casual, so my daily wear consists of either Polo, Banana Republic or Tommy Hilfiger. Always with Merrell slip on shoes. :beer