Where to buy nice men's dress shirts?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

Where to buy nice men's dress shirts?

Post by Triple digit golfer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:21 pm

I like wearing decent dress shirts to work. I notice a definite difference in quality and longevity in shirts purchased from department stores compared to shirts purchased from Joseph A. Bank and Men's Wearhouse.

That said, I don't like spending $100 for two shirts. I'm willing to spend $25-35 per shirt.

Where can I find some good, quality dress shirts for $25-35 each that will last?

poker27

Re: Where to buy nice men's dress shirts?

Post by poker27 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:26 pm

You have to pay to play. I'm a big fan of Charles Tyrwhitt. IMO they are on par if not better then brooks brothers. I try to always get them on sale, usually 40ish + freight. They are made in Europe, so they usually take 1-2 weeks to receive.

sksbog

Post by sksbog » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:28 pm

Jos A bank , when they r on sale šŸ˜Š

JohnFiscal

Post by JohnFiscal » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:29 pm

Triple digit golfer wrote:I notice a definite difference in quality and longevity in shirts purchased from department stores compared to shirts purchased from Joseph A. Bank and Men's Wearhouse.
I'm curious, where is the better quality and longevity? JAB/MW, or the department stores? And if department store, which one and what brand of shirt?

Much obliged.

Gropes & Ray

Post by Gropes & Ray » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:31 pm

I prefer Jos. A Banks to MW, but both are nice. You do have to wait for a good sale, which means buying opportunistically, and not only after you spill ketchup on your last white shirt.

AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:32 pm

Buy Brooks Brothers shirts on sale. They are about $65 or $70 during the sale, but they are far superior to any shirt you can find in the $25 to $35 range. I've had some BB dress shirts since 2010, and they look fantastic despite being machine washed two to three times a month.

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:38 pm

Brooks Brothers non-iron.

Slim-fit (I believe they call it Regent now) if you have the body type for it.

Cheap in the long run.
Last edited by Dutch on Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:41 pm

+1 Brooks Brothers

Also, Indochino has made some custom shirts we like so far. They are dress shirts that don't get much action, so I can't vouch for longevity yet.

http://indochino.com
Last edited by LeeMKE on Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.

AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:41 pm

Dutch wrote:Brooks Brothers non-iron.

Slim-fit (I believe they call it Regent now) if you have the body type for it.
That's exactly what I wear. The quality is outstanding.

billern

Post by billern » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:42 pm

poker27 wrote:You have to pay to play. I'm a big fan of Charles Tyrwhitt. IMO they are on par if not better then brooks brothers. I try to always get them on sale, usually 40ish + freight. They are made in Europe, so they usually take 1-2 weeks to receive.
Me too. My only complaint is that CT has limited color/style selections during their sales. I've only been able to get blue and white shirts at the sale prices.

I've also bought Brooks Brothers non-iron shirts. They have increased their sale prices in the last year or to. I've decided that the CT shirts are equivalent or possibly better for what I'm looking for.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:05 pm

I've long been a fan of the Brooks Bros. no iron shirts...they are expensive though.

I'd give a nod to Paul Fredrick as a good middle ground compromise. If you're looking for a plain white shirt, they have an amazing introductory offer that lets you buy up to four shirts (I think it's four, maybe three) for $19 ea. They are good quality...better than Jos A Banks, which I've had rip, tear and wear incredibly quickly for the price.

JohnFiscal

Post by JohnFiscal » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:30 pm

I have been wearing JAB button down pinpoints daily for ~14 years. Several in each color. They have held up well and I find them a lot better than the "designer" shirts at Dillards, Macys, etc. I have a couple from Paul Fredericks but was never as pleased with them as with the JAB...didn't seem to be as well made or material as nice. Now that JAB is owned by Mens' Wearhouse the market may change.

Have been tempted to try the Brooks Brothers but never got around to it. I remember being rung up at the BB counter a very, very long time ago and the clerk said "ah, yes, the sign of the golden fleece!" (their corporate emblem, the lamb in the sling). I wondered if I was the one being "fleeced".

I don't like the "no iron" all-cotton shirts. I'm going to iron the p*ss out of them anyway, I like CRISP. and the no-iron finish changes the texture of the cotton. (ETA: yes, I iron my own shirts)

JimmyD

Post by JimmyD » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:41 pm

Always get mine at Banana Republic, but only on Wednesdays when they're typically 40% off. They also usually have a ton of them on sale on their website for $40 or so. Great quality and their non-iron slim fit fits me amazingly well.

havehad

Post by havehad » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:44 pm

There is a online outfit called Paul Frederick that often has a great intro rate. They used to be only iron shirts but would imagine they have
non-iron by now. They allow you to choose collar style.

Worth looking around for an offer.

singern

Post by singern » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:48 pm

poker27 wrote:You have to pay to play. I'm a big fan of Charles Tyrwhitt. IMO they are on par if not better then brooks brothers. I try to always get them on sale, usually 40ish + freight. They are made in Europe, so they usually take 1-2 weeks to receive.
Charles Tyrwhitt is spot on, excellent quality and a modern look. They have semi annual sales (Christmas, summer etc) that bring prices down to about 35-40$. Looking good and staying on budget. Win Win.
I haven't "needed the money" since I took Archie's milk money in the third grade.... but I like it - The Departed, 2006.

denovo

Post by denovo » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:56 pm

By the way, what ever shirt you buy, you'll increase longevity by not putting it in the dryer. Let it hang outside and dry.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:57 pm

AZAttorney11 wrote:Buy Brooks Brothers shirts on sale. They are about $65 or $70 during the sale, but they are far superior to any shirt you can find in the $25 to $35 range. I've had some BB dress shirts since 2010, and they look fantastic despite being machine washed two to three times a month.
My impression (definitely haven't bought all the brands) but the quality jump between a 25 dollar shirt and 60 dollar one (well really 90 dollar ones on sale) is noticeable. The jump to 150 dollar shirts to me wasn't noticeable. I haven't tried on the 450 dollar shirts so I can't really comment on them.:) Of course it is also possible to buy a 60 dollar shirt that has the quality of a 25 dollar one.

I would suggest getting one Brooks Brothers (or who ever your favorite 90 dollar shirt) and one of the 25 dollar ones and wear them both for 6 months. Then decide if the extra cost is worth it to you.

ajr22

Post by ajr22 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:01 pm

I've been listening to Jim Cramer for many years regarding this and always buy mine at Costco. From my limited experience with high-end brands, the differences seems to be nill. Evevn if I do not get as long of a wear compared to BB, the fact I don't worry about spilling anything on them and consider them almost disposable outweighs anything for me.

http://www.costcoconnection.com/connect ... io=69#pg88

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:06 pm

I wear a lot of Lands End. Need to get them when they are on sale for good prices though. I hate how they do 30-40% off.
Brooks Brothers is good, but I'm cheap and hate paying $60-$90 for a shirt.
Charles Tyrwhitt I hear is awsome and I'm going to try them when my current selection wears out.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:58 pm

I recommend heartily:

LL Bean shirts.

They were better than the Brooks Brothers shirts I bought on sale and promptly returned over the Thanksgiving holiday sales.

I also would avoid buying on-sale dress shirts unless you know EXACTLY what you're getting - I was burned this past Thanksgiving by assuming Brooks Brothers quality was always top notch (has been in the past), and I ordered standard seeming dress shirts, but when they arrived they were so thin that I could see my undershirt through them, which only had a minimal gray small Champion logo over the chest. Unacceptable.

The LL Bean shirts are wrinkle free, and look as good as my old $100 Brooks Brothers shirts as well. (I think they cost about $60)

Cottons

Post by Cottons » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:13 pm

Buying clothing is a hands-on experience. Meaning, you need to get your hands on the material to determine if it's worth purchasing. If it were me, I would stay away from online purchases for this very reason.

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:13 pm

JohnFiscal wrote:I don't like the "no iron" all-cotton shirts. I'm going to iron the p*ss out of them anyway, I like CRISP. and the no-iron finish changes the texture of the cotton. (ETA: yes, I iron my own shirts)
Brings me back to the bad old days of shirt ironing every Sunday night. Just think of all the time you'd save if you didn't have to do that.

Also, your crisply ironed shirt might look slightly better first thing in the morning. The non-iron looks good all day long.

tigermilk

Post by tigermilk » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:17 pm

Last Call (www.lastcall.com). They are the equivalent of Nordstrom's Rack or Off 5th but for Neiman Marcus. I've got several of the Neiman Marcus brand dress shirts from them. I find both the patterns and fabrics to be better than other merchants. They often have 30-50% off sales off already reduced prices. With those sales you typically can get a great shirt for $25-35.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:57 pm

Dutch wrote:
JohnFiscal wrote:I don't like the "no iron" all-cotton shirts. I'm going to iron the p*ss out of them anyway, I like CRISP. and the no-iron finish changes the texture of the cotton. (ETA: yes, I iron my own shirts)
Brings me back to the bad old days of shirt ironing every Sunday night. Just think of all the time you'd save if you didn't have to do that.

Also, your crisply ironed shirt might look slightly better first thing in the morning. The non-iron looks good all day long.

I worked in the corporate environment for years. Many of the all cotton shirts that some men wore looked like they had been slept in by lunch time. I agree with you about the non-iron.

Later in my career, I started sending out my shirts to a laundry. $6 per week was better than spending all Sunday night ironing shirts ...

ebv

Post by ebv » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:26 pm

If you can time it right, Jos. A. Banks traveler shirts. Every year or so, they'll go on sale for 4 for 100. Great, long lasting, high quality shirts. And they look great right out of the dryer. Mrs. ebv loves them and I've had some for seven or eight years that look nearly as good as the day I bought them.

Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:33 pm

Post deleted....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69

Snapper

Post by Snapper » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:38 pm

Brooks Brothers here too. No iron, slim fit for me too - but they do offer three fits. Just the best. You can get them on sale or check if you qualify for a corporate card and get a 40% discount all the time. You just cant beat them for fit, finish and longevity.

spth

Post by spth » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:28 pm

Everlane.com

Landsend.com

grog

Post by grog » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:07 pm

Which department stores are you referring to? I've been buying shirts at Macy's and Lord and Taylor recently and I feel like I've found some really good values. I look for sale/clearance items which works well if you have a common size. Over Christmas, I found some shirts that were 75% off (retail $70-$90, so only $17-$22). I've never tried the Joseph A. Bank dress shirts, but with their suits I've found that their stuff is often higher quality than the department stores in terms of fabrics, but I don't find the cuts quite as stylish. The department store stuff tends to be slimmer fitting with a little more flair which I like. Might not be what the older guys are looking for, though.

I should add, I dress business casual, so I mostly buy colored and patterned shirts. My few white shirts are Brooks Brothers which I got at an outlet. I'm more selective with those for some reason.

SDBoggled

Post by SDBoggled » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:12 pm

Another vote for Brooks Brother non-iron. I am amazed at the way they look, even in the "care" or college boys.

The have different material... I like the oxfords: a bit heavier.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:19 pm

Well-fitting shirts are as important, if not more important, than the quality of the fabric (especially at the price you are willing to pay).

I am not a huge fan of non-tailored shirts from brands like Brook Bros at those prices, when you can make a shirt with comparable fabric for $30 more. Between a $35 shirt from a traveling tailor, a non-tailored shirt at $75 from Brooks Bros, and a $110 tailored shirt with decent fabric from a local or traveling tailor, I would choose either the first or third options.

Most off the rack shirts (regardless of the brand) are made to be too loose under the arms, in the sleeves, and in the back. This is to accommodate more consumers. It's not cost-effective to tailor these shirts unless they are very expensive to begin with, so you might as well just order a tailored shirt. It will make you look sharp for little cost.
Last edited by Caduceus on Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:26 pm

Brooks Brothers non-iron shirts purchased during the after-after Christmas sale in January. The selection gets limited so you have to possibly visit a few stores plus look online. The styles are pretty boring, but they are very durable and retain their non-iron qualities for much longer than cheaper shirts. Get the right fit for your body type.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:29 pm

JC Penny. Stratford Dress Shirts.
All the Best, | Joe

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:30 pm

Dutch wrote:

+1 :)
All the Best, | Joe

hoopy

Post by hoopy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:33 pm

Depending on which city you live in, you may be able to get them bespoke / custom-tailored within that price range.

There are Hong Kong-based tailor shops that send their master tailors on tours of the US and Canada. They usually arrive in a city, and set up in a suite of a nice hotel in that city's business district. They take appointments for custom fitting appointments, and tend to be quite busy.

The process: You show up to your appointment, they measure you, you select what cloth you want from their catalog of samples, place an order, and then a few weeks later you get your clothes.

Maxwell's and Daswani's are a couple of tailor shops I've heard of, though there are likely more around. I have not used any of these services, but I know a lot of lawyers in my city who have used Maxwell's, and are happy with them.

I believe there is a minimum order size. They have details, as well as a schedule of cities they will be visiting on their websites.

robert88

Post by robert88 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:50 pm

I'm not convinced that spending more gets you a more durable shirt, and in his price range, he's not getting Egyptian or Sea Island cotton. Maybe, I'm hard on my shirts, but with some of the brands recommended above, I've never had a shirt last more than 2 years before the cuffs start to fray. No iron is certainly nice to have though.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:05 pm

robert88 wrote:I'm not convinced that spending more gets you a more durable shirt, and in his price range, he's not getting Egyptian or Sea Island cotton.
Ditto, I received a Brooks Brothers shirt as a gift several years ago and it was no more durable or better fitting than what I grab for $12 at Ross. My wife also purchased me an APC shirt about a year ago for a special event, about $220 from Nordstroms, and I could tell little difference other than it didn't fit well. For me, it is all about fit. I'm muscular, with a large (17") neck, shoulders and chest, and small (32") waist, most brand's 17" "slim fit" shirts" look like moo-moos on me. Generally try to find ultra slim fit, and the only one's I've been able to find that fit decently are from Express or Nicole Miller ($12 at Ross or TJ Maxx).

canderson

Post by canderson » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:13 pm

Charles Tyrwhitt is amazing.

Compound

Post by Compound » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:27 pm

Another vote for Charles Tyrwhitt.

Well made shirts. I only buy them when on sale (usually in the $40/shirt range). I used to buy Brooks Brothers, but my CT shirts seem to last longer and are more comfortable.

poker27

Post by poker27 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:45 pm

Compound wrote:Another vote for Charles Tyrwhitt.

Well made shirts. I only buy them when on sale (usually in the $40/shirt range). I used to buy Brooks Brothers, but my CT shirts seem to last longer and are more comfortable.
After I got done recommending CT I came home today and found a stain on a 4 week old shirt. :x .

Anyone know best way to get stains out of 'nice' dress shirts? Stuff at home? Dry cleaner?

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:35 am

poker27 wrote:Anyone know best way to get stains out of 'nice' dress shirts? Stuff at home? Dry cleaner?
Use Oxyclean (squirt bottle) on the stain. Repeated application if need be. Then wash the shirt like you normally would.

tic

Post by tic » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:36 am

About a month ago I got 5 Jos A Bank Traveler shirts for $10 each (and free shipping) on clearance online. I don't know how often that sale happens, and the selection is, of course, limited. But, they will last for many years and the price is right.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:15 am

Another vote for Brooks Brothers non iron. They look great and last a long time. I have always bought mine on sale. A cheaper alternative that is pretty good is Eagle no iron shirts. I can get on sale for $25 to $30. I buy those from Steinmart although local dept stores also carry at a higher price.

ramsfan

Post by ramsfan » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:27 am

After owning all sorts of brands, I vouch for Costco. I bought a white one a few years back, just to try, and have never looked back. I get complimented on the blue with white pinstripe one all the time....

Userdc

Post by Userdc » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:03 am

I've tried everything but I keep coming back to the BB non-iron slim fits.

I wish they were a little cheaper and the elbows didn't tear so easily, but I haven't found any off-the-rack shirts that match up in terms of fit, look, and comfort.

I just stock up a couple of times a year during the sales.

surveyor

Post by surveyor » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:09 am

The Costco shirts are great depending on your shape. When I was heavier that is all I bought. I'm down 50 lbs and find that they are too "billowy" in the mid section for my neck size. I've since tried both BB and CT slim fit shirts. The CT shirts fit better, cost less and seem to be the same quality. The CT shirts can be purchased for $30 on clearance occasionally and 4 for $180 for current styles fairly often. I plan to purchase 4 next time that price is offered.

Topic Author
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:26 am

Wow, thanks to all for the recommendations!

The department stores I was referring to are Kohl's and J.C. Penney. I've had the Croft & Barrow and Van Heusen brands and both make me feel like a used car salesman. They're just cheap looking - and this is coming from a very non-snobby person. I am all about buying inexpensive clothes, but it seems dress shirts are the exception.

I am going to check out some of the recommendations in this thread. Thanks, everybody.

MGBGTV8

Post by MGBGTV8 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:41 am

So what about the construction of the shirt makes it worth paying more for? I could never figure that out. Anyone have any hints on how to evaluate them?

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:08 am

joe8d wrote:JC Penny. Stratford Dress Shirts.
+ 1

stan1

Post by stan1 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:15 am

The price of cotton spiked between 2010-2013 due to stockpiling in China among other factors. A lot of manufacturers cut back on quality of their cotton garments (shirts, underwear, and even sheets). The Brooks Brothers the shirts I bought in 2014 are much thinner than like the shirts I bought a few years earlier. The price of cotton came down in 2014 but I'll be surprised if the thickness of the cloth in my older shirts ever returns.

I have a number of non-iron JAB, MW, BB, and a few other shirts. I have about 20 shirts in many different colors/patterns so they only get worn on average about once per month and I wash dress shirts after every wear (as I expect most people do -- but I'm sure there are some people who don't). I usually wear the shirt open collar without a tie or jacket so I like to buy different colors and patterns. Off white and light colors last the longest (I easily get 75+ washes). Dark blue shirts start to fray/lose color at the cuffs and collar points after about 50 washes. White shirts probably are good for about 30-40 washes before they are no longer crisp white. Expecting a dark or white shirt that has 100+ machine wash/dry cycles to still look good may unreasonable in my experience. I find that "non-iron" shirts need touch up, but its a lot quicker than trying to iron a no-iron shirt. I'm not sure where people find cleaners that charge $1 or $1.50 per shirt. It's more like $4 per shirt in my neighborhood (more if you want delivery). Not quite ready to spend $1000 per year to get my shirts washed/ironed.

Most important is to get shirts that fit well no matter what your body size. If its coming untucked or poofs out around the middle by mid day you have the wrong shirt. The reason I started shopping at JAB and MW years ago was because department stores such as Nordstrom did not have a shirt that fit me with a good variety of colors/patterns. I've found JAB and MW (stores and online) to be pretty good about keeping sizes, colors, and patterns in stock.

I can't remember the last time I purchased a dress shirt that wasn't on sale. My goal at work is to dress a little better than my peers; above strategy gets me there.