Valentine’s day dinner I could cook?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
acejacksingh

Valentine’s day dinner I could cook?

Post by acejacksingh » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:14 pm

Hi BH,

I come seeking some advice on what to make my girlfriend for Valentine's Day dinner. She know's I'm a horrible cook so it'll be a big surprise when I actually cook something great for her. Now I'm not a great cook, but I can follow directions really well :D . Looking for a simple recipe that I could prepare on Friday and serve Saturday. I would like to keep it under $50 if possible, excluding the extras (flowers, candles, chocolate, etc). She likes all kinds of food so this is really open!!

Thanks in advance,
AceJ

Mrs.Feeley

Re: Valentine’s day dinner I could cook?

Post by Mrs.Feeley » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:31 pm

A simple-to-make dish that DH prepared when we were dating and which astonished me was chicken cordon bleu. Take thin chicken breasts and roll them up with Swiss cheese and deli ham. Fasten closed with toothpicks. Dip in Shake 'n Bake. Bake at 375F for about 45 minutes. Throw in a couple of pierced baking potatoes to make baked potatoes to go along. A Boglehead recently posted a delicious-sounding version of this wrapping the chicken in prosciutto instead of breading it. If I recall correctly he recommended using a couple different types of cheeses for the interior including Parmesan.

Hug401k

Post by Hug401k » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:41 pm

Hmm, I'm not sure it's cooking, but I've had the grocery store steam me some lobsters for Vday a couple of times.

An easier one is Chicken Piccata. I love that stuff. 1 million recipes on line..

PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:45 pm

Anything with garlic (assuming she likes garlic…). Chop up some fresh garlic, and sauté it in a little olive oil for a few minutes. If you like onions, sauté onions as well. Or even a recipe with garlic and ginger. It doesn't matter. The point is that the kitchen will smell like you are a CHEF, and that's all that really matters…! Beware of cooking something fast that doesn't give off lots of aroma…! If you bake something in the oven, that usually works as it will likely be a slow-cooking dish and the smell will have time to permeate all the way to the front door! :D

My easy can't go wrong dinner if you both like Indian food:
ingredients:
Seeds of Change Tikka Masala sauce as the base - find it in Whole Foods type stores - it's very mild
Onion - chopped up
can of peas, drained (or better yet, cook some frozen peas for a few minutes)
any other veggies you like with indian
some Instant Rice that you microwave (so you can't go too far wrong) (or get the Tomato Rice packet that the Indian stores have).
Cooked roast chicken from anywhere that does a nice one (Costco's is the best). Cube the chicken.

Chop up the onion and sauté in some olive oil (10 mins) on low-med heat in a large pot with a lid (make sure smell reaches front door…),
add chopped fresh garlic if you like when onion is almost done to add more chef-smell...
pour in the sauce
add the peas
add the chicken
simmer to heat through
cook rice in microwave (1-2 mins)
don't forget to heat the plates if you can (very posh!)

good luck! (and yes, you could prepare the indian dish ahead of time and put it in the fridge, then just make the rice on Sat. But if you chop the onion and cube the chicken ahead of time, I think you'll find it's very easy to throw together in about 10 mins)

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:57 pm

NY strip steak, baked potato, sauteed snow peas, bought cheesecake for dessert.

MoneyIsntEverything

Post by MoneyIsntEverything » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:00 pm

Deleted
Last edited by MoneyIsntEverything on Wed May 17, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki

OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:06 pm

First step...don't cook on Friday to serve on Saturday, like you mentioned doing. Serving food freshly cooked will make it taste 10x better.

tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:10 pm

wilsobk wrote:First step...don't cook on Friday to serve on Saturday, like you mentioned doing. Serving food freshly cooked will make it taste 10x better.
+1. And in my experience many people find the experience of watching someone else cook for them to be romantic in itself.
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:13 pm

Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches
Gordon

Watty

Post by Watty » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:13 pm

Baked brie for appetizer
http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/cresce ... 2397a8d42b

New York strip steak, don't be tempted by the less expensive cuts for this meal

Baked potato (baked, not microwaved), sour cream, real butter.

Steamed Asparagus, get a microwave vegetable steamer if you don't have one.

Gelato or sorbet for dessert.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:31 pm

Google how to pan fry a new york strip with red wine. It is great. And easy you end up reducing the beef stock, red wine, and other ingredients and end up with a nicely seared steak with a great sauce. add a salad, asparagus, the rest of the red wine, and a little dessert from a high end grocery bakery and you are gold. for women, most of the brownie points come with showing a little effort.

If you want to break up with her try chicken livers and bbq potato chips.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

toto238

Post by toto238 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:40 pm

The hamdog:

Start with a hot dog.

Wrap it in a slice of cheese, I like cheddar.

Wrap that in 1/4 lb of ground beef, flattened out with a rolling pin.

Wrap that bad boy with bacon.

Stick a toothpick or two in it to keep it together.

Throw him through a mix of breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese.

Stick that son of a mother in the oven (I use a toaster oven) at like 400 degrees-ish for like 25 minutes-ish. Depends on how you like it.

It's the Valentine's Day meal that sends a very clear message to your loved one. That you literally want to murder them. With love.

WARNING: Do not eat an entire hamdog. Cut it into small pieces and eat maybe two pieces at most. Any more and you MAY die.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:42 pm

A frozen pizza.
All the Best, | Joe

toto238

Post by toto238 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:47 pm

joe8d wrote:A frozen pizza.
My wife gets nervous when I'm in the kitchen. Frozen pizza is about as far as she would trust me to cook something on my own without her supervision. She believes I would starve without her.

I wouldn't starve. I would just eat a lot of microwaveable food.

FlamingoTime

Post by FlamingoTime » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:02 pm

I think simple is better. Boil some linguine pasta and serve with a nice marinara/tomato sauce found in the fridge section in the grocery store. It's by Buitonni or something in a clear round plastic container. Buy some FRESH grated parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top. Buy a bag of mixed ready made salad, add some tomatoes and cucumber and serve with favorite salad dressing. Serve with Italian bread. For desert, buy a small pound cake from the bakery section, slice it, put ice cream over it and either chocolate sauce or fresh strawberries and whipped cream.

Alternative is steak with baked potato and salad. Nice wine or Martinellis sparkling cider if you want non-alcoholic.

I'm sure she will be so appreciative! Good luck!

dolphintraveler

Post by dolphintraveler » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:23 pm

I would second the pasta with strawberries, chocolate, whipped cream, and pound cake. As an additional treat, get some bruschetta or artichoke antipasto (Trader Joes sells it) in a jar to eat with the bread (the bread is often toasted but works either way). Pasta seems like a comfort food.

CABob

Post by CABob » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:33 pm

The first meal I cooked for my girlfriend (now wife) was beef stroganoff some 40 years ago. I'm not sure how great it was but she still mentions it often. There are several recipes online. This one is about what I use. Serve over noodles or rice. I don't recommend preparing the day before however.
For a make ahead meal how about lasagna? Do everything except the oven cooking the day before.
Bob

davebarnes

cooked

Post by davebarnes » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:12 am

gkaplan wrote:Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches
Grilled pb&j sandwiches
A nerd living in Denver

RyeWhiskey

Post by RyeWhiskey » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:36 am

I'm 28 and an excellent cook (if I do say so myself, and I do). I recommend:
1) Nothing too smelly (no fish, hyper-garlic items, etc.).
2) Nothing too fatty (no stroganoff, Swedish meatballs, scalloped potatoes, etc.).
3) Nothing too complex.
4) Nothing too time consuming (keep prep time under 30 mins, cooking time under 2 hrs).
5) Nothing too fancy.

In short, something like:
- Pan seared steak (nice cut of meat, rubbed only with black pepper). Cost: $15-20. Prep time: 2 minutes (rub the meat at room temp, pre heat the skillet). Cook time: depends on the size of meat, but under 10 minutes. ASK YOUR BUTCHER for the best cut and the appropriate cook time/method for a novice.
- Boiled new potatoes with butter, parsley, a bit of garlic, and s&p. Cost: $4. Prep time: 5 minutes (wash the potatoes, chop the parsley and garlic). Cook time: depends on the size of the potatoes, but probably about 10 minutes. After the potatoes are done (they pierce easily with a fork), strain them and toss them immediately in butter, the garlic (one clove, finely minced), and the parsley and s&p.
- Steamed baby broccoli and baby carrots with lemon and olive oil. Cost: $6. Prep time: 5 minutes (wash and roughly peel the veggies). Cook time: depends on the size of the veggies, but probably under 10 minutes. When the veggies are done (firm to the pierce of a fork), strain and toss with lemon juice and a bit of olive oil.
Total cost: ~$30.

Why this setup: Excellent combination of flavors but mostly, it's super simple. Steam the veggies above the water in which the potatoes are boiling = 1 pot. 1 pan for the steak = only 2 cooking surfaces. You can do them one at a time for easy cooking. DO NOT PRE-COOK the meal the day before. This meal will take you approximately 30 minutes to make in its entirety which is less than it would take to re-heat a meal you already cooked.
Steps:
1) Open bottle of good red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon is probably the simplest for this setup; spend more than $15 but not more than $30) and let it sit while you cook.
2) Set table.
3) Prep everything.
4) Boil potatoes and steam veggies at same time. Finish these dishes and set on table.
5) Pan fry steaks.
6) Serve. Be sure to serve her first and not to overload her plate. One steak, 2-3 brocollini, 2-3 baby carrots, 3-4 new potatoes is plenty. Pour her a glass of wine and toast to each other.
7) Win.

:sharebeer

PS: I think it's awesome that you asked this on the Bogleheads forum.
This post was brought to you by Vanguard Total World Stock Index (VTWSX/VT).

shelanman

Post by shelanman » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:28 am

When it comes to cooking, I'm a dessert guy, so, here's a nice easy dessert idea.

Chocolate dipped pretzels (or chocolate dipped fruit, if you'd rather). It great, because the pretzels are pretty easy and can be made up to 2 days in advance. And they're yummy.

For pretzels:

Buy a bag of mini pretzels. Get some fancy chocolate -- I recommend a good dark chocolate with a hint of flavor. On the west coast, I can get Theo chocolate, and their Chili, Orange, and Mint dark chocolates all make awesome pretzels.

Break the bars into pieces, and melt in a small saucepan over the minimum amount of heat to melt. Full melting will take several minutes. Stir frequently, I use wood chopsticks

Be sure your pan and all implements are bone dry. One drop of water will ruin the batch.

Dip pretzels, lay on parchment paper until dry (few hours). Again, I use wood chopsticks. For best results, serve within 2 days, do not refrigerate or freeze. Pretzels will taste good for about a week, but chocolate will look funny after about 2 days (white flecks called bloom)

9 oz chocolate makes about 100 mini pretzels

If you want bigger pretzels, I recommend the big pretzel sticks, and then dunk either one or both ends.

If you feel fancy, take a different chocolate (white/milk) put it in a ziploc and cut the corner of the bag, and squeeze to make drizzle.

This works with fruit too. Pineapple is good with sweet dark chocolate, but the acid makes it hard to get the chocolate to adhere. Blackberries are awesome in a spicy chocolate (cayenne or pink peppercorn are both good choices). Strawberries are classics for good reason.

For fruit, serve same day, refrigerate only if necessary.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:42 am

There are some great crock pot recipes that are really really easy to cook - basically put almost all the ingredients in the crock pot, cook on low for 8hrs. I made a ropa vieja a few days ago and it was awesome.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food ... ecipe.html

You can cook it all day on Friday and serve it on Saturday. Mine tasted better the next day.
You can get a medium sized crock pot for under $20.
Wiki

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:50 am

I would so something like a surf and turf. Get a pre-made crab cake from wholefoods or lobster tail from your local super market. Super easy to make. Lobster tail will need to be prepared but there are plenty of youtube videos that show you how. Get a thick rib eye steak and sear both sides at high heat for 1 min each then pop it in the oven for another 5 for medium rare. Use the firmness test to see how well done you like it.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:08 am

It's a little late for this, but I would have done a dry run first.

It's hard to ruin spaghetti. Bring a pot of water to the boil. Add spaghetti (don't let it splash and burn yourself), check it every few minutes until it is just tender, NOT too soft. Drain well.

Add a spaghetti sauce from a jar, warmed up first.

Garlic bread - often this is sold in the grocery in an almost sliced through form and you just have to warm it in the oven.

Simple salad - lettuce, sliced tomatoes, sliced onions, salad dressing on the side.

Wine.

Ice cream and maybe cake (store bought) with it (slice of cake with ice cream scoop) for desert.

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:57 am

Girlfriend? Do you know what she likes?

One of the great pleasures in life is in enjoying the sensuality of food. As with a lover, sometimes the actual eating is a very small part of the experience. So I would tell her now that you are cooking, to tickle her mind.
Then, once menu is planned, I absolutely would cook that day/night, whenever she is there. Wafting odors tantalize- a plain meal wont do this so much, onion and garlic will.

I love the pasta idea, especially because the sauce is flexible, can be made ahead, gets better when cooked again, can satisfy the above.
My sauce: Cook chopped onions with meat-burger/ Italian sausage. Add garlic, then cans of different tomato products-sauce/crushed. Simmer until thick adding italianish seasonings along the way, same for some salt to taste, more garlic, red wine, brown sugar to cut acid. At the end, use more garlic/ seasoning for aromatics or do this next day.

Choose a pasta shape. I'd also consider a simple hard bread-ours happens to be cuban. Fresh bread adds so much and makes great french toast in the am. Use good cheese.

This recipe can make a lot of sauce and allows for reliving a pleasant meal together at a future time.

If she is the one, the food won't matter.
4nursebee

acejacksingh

Post by acejacksingh » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:59 am

RyeWhiskey wrote:
PS: I think it's awesome that you asked this on the Bogleheads forum.
Haha I usually turn to like minded individuals for these tough questions.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and jokes!! It was actually really helpful to hear a BH's advice!

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:11 am

Lasagna.

Get the no-boil kind of lasagna noodles. Recipe will probably be on the back of the box. You can even leave out the ground beef if you don't feel up to the task of browning it.

The nice thing about it is that it's all about the prep work. Then it just bakes in the oven, leaving you plenty of time to throw together a salad, light the candles, crack open the wine, etc...
Stay on target...

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:53 am

Get a jar of this and the other ingredients called for on the label. Do the crock pot version you can start earlier in the day.
Totally brainless way to make one of the best home cooked meals you will ever have.
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

sls239

Post by sls239 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:07 am

Well I think some of this will come down to what equipment you have.

If you have a roasting pan and a roasting rack, and a meat thermometer, a whole chicken is about the easiest thing in the world to make. Cook's Illustrated Cookbook has several ways to roast a chicken with very detailed directions.

I suggest the crisp roast chicken, as that can be prepared the night before and cooked the day of. That will allow you to focus on the vegetables / dessert / GF the day of.

And Bell & Evans are the best chickens.

If you have a cookie sheet - roasted carrots with a little brown sugar and oil or roasted green beans with garlic and oil are super simple. Or you can buy pre-cut butternut squash or whole acorn squash and slice it into quarters - add butter and brown sugar and roast. Roasting is going to really bring out the flavor of the winter vegetables.

Another option is to get fish and wrap the fillets in foil with some seasoning and pop them in the oven. The only trick there is not overcooking them.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:33 pm

While not everyone is a fan, a recipe over at daveramsey.com caught my eye: Crispy Chicken Breasts With Mushroom Pan Sauce, Roasted Red Potatoes and Carrots topped off with Dark Chocolate Torte for dessert.
http://www.daveramsey.com/blog/emeals-s ... ictid=ae47
Mike

HornedToad

Post by HornedToad » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:50 pm

If you are willing to spend a couple hours for it, I really like this Osso Buco recipe. I've used that for my wife before and the pictures of each step helps. It takes longer to cut everything and cook than you'd think so give yourself plenty of time for it.

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/200/Osso-Buco

TFinator

Post by TFinator » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:03 pm

This isn't a direct answer, but it may help.
The past few years I have just gone shopping with my SO to whole foods (a treat for a BH!) or some other fancy specialty market. We walk around and take our time and decide what we want or what sounds good as we shop. We buy all those expensive delicious items we never do otherwise (that little wedge of cheese that's like $20/pound). Then we go home with some wine and cook together.
Entertainment value is high: Market/cooking/eating is a good 5 hours. You spend it all together. It feels like a gift because you buy so many things that are out of the ordinary. It's also fun.

BanditKing

Post by BanditKing » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:04 pm

I've made the following pasta dish many times. It's always gone over very well, and if you are vegetarian you can skip the chicken and shrimp.

http://www.food.com/recipe/romanos-maca ... ica-114360

We don't have a Macaroni Grill around these parts (Madison WI), but it's always been the only dish I ever order when i go there it's so delicious.

It reheats well too, but reheat it over low heat on the stove, not in the microwave, or the cream and butter will separate.

For what it's worth, the first time I made it for an old GF, which was the first time she came over while I cooked, she commented "Oh my god! This is so good. I'd sleep with anyone that would make this for me." Happy Valentine's!

Gropes & Ray

Post by Gropes & Ray » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:04 pm

The butcher's counter at your supermarket is going to have some easy-to-cook options available that day. They'll likely have breaded veal cutlets and chicken cordon bleu ready-made. Take it home and pop it in the oven. Serve with your favorite pasta tossed with olive oil and herbs. Don't eat too much though... you wouldn't want to get a cramp. :wink:

john94549

Post by john94549 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:29 pm

Just a hint. Prepare on a Friday and serve on a Saturday is a non-starter. Unless she likes cold food. Or micro-waved.

Go down to your local specialty market, explain to them what main course you would like, pick it up an hour or so beforehand and keep in the warmer (or oven, at low). Unless you're a really experienced cook, trying to do the main course will be a disaster.

After arriving home with the main course, and while awaiting your sweetie, prepare a nice, fresh salad. Liberal use of romaine and croutons, of course, as each shows sophistication. Arugela doesn't hurt. Cherry tomatoes are a plus. Home-made oil-and-vinegar dressing, with a dash of lemon juice. Toast some home-made garlic bread to go along with the salad. As a final touch, put some fresh asparagus under the grill just before she arrives, or even after. Doesn't take long to grill asparagus. A little grated parmesan on top.

That should do it. Not sure if it's $50, though. But is she worth it? Well, We've been married for almost 47 years. My wife and I did the "cooking" back and forth while in college, and it was quite the mating ritual. And we're still together. Don't scrimp on the ingredients, as it were.

stoutglass

Post by stoutglass » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:18 pm

Here's one that is oven only. This recipe is my go to for max effect and minimum effort (while still qualifying as cooking).

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina- ... ecipe.html

We use tilapia for the fish typically, but anything like that would work. You can pre-prep the shallot a day in advance - the rest is just measure and go. Capers work well, but can be omitted if you don't like them or can't find. We line the sheet pan with aluminum foil so cleanup is easy. It reheats as well as any fish dish I've ever had.

You could then just roast some vegetables. Use whatever you like, but most mega marts carry pre-prepped broccoli or cauliflower. To roast, just drizzle with olive oil, salt (kosher or sea salt would be nice) and pepper (grind it man!)...then mix with your hands and roast in the same oven as the fish. If you have enough oven space, you could add roasted baby red potatoes and give them the same treatment as the vegetables. If they share a pan with the veggies, cut the potatoes small enough so they finish cooking about the same time as the vegetables. Check for done-ness periodically with a fork. Veg and Potato is probably 20-30 minutes at a pre-heated 425 degrees.

Good luck,

stout

amoeba

Post by amoeba » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:16 pm

I agree with the pasta idea mentioned earlier but absolutely not on the sauce from a jar.

use this recipe

http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2009/10/ ... -nyce.html

For an appetizer, an easy dish is a caprese salad. Buy some fresh bufala mozzarella (if you can find Burrata even better), cut and mix with tomatoes and fresh basil leaves.

Make simple vinagrette of 1/3 balsamic vinegar and 2/3 olive oil. drizzle over salad.

The key to both recipes is the quality of your tomatoes, basil, and olive oil. You want tomatoes that are vine ripened.

Another easy appetizer is to put together a charcuterie and antipasto plate. buy a mix of salamis and prosciutto/jamon serrano and some good bread and some olives. Put it out on a plate. While cured hams and salamis can be pricy at $15 to $25 a pound, you only need about 1/4 pound to 1/3 pound of each.

Dessert : Buy a quality gelato. If its a chocolate flavor, you can experiment with topping with sea salt or a tiny drizzle of olive oil. Alternatively, if its cold where you are, I like to make a classic thick European style hot chocolate. Melt a high quality dark chocolate bar in to a cup of whole milk. Whisk until completely melted and there are slight bubbles. pour in to demitasse cups if you have them. Optionally add a teaspoon of Cognac, Grand marnier, Cointreau in to the cups before pouring chocolate. Optionally add cinnamon/chili to chocolate.

Altephor

Post by Altephor » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:08 pm

Mrs.Feeley wrote:A simple-to-make dish that DH prepared when we were dating and which astonished me was chicken cordon bleu. Take thin chicken breasts and roll them up with Swiss cheese and deli ham. Fasten closed with toothpicks. Dip in Shake 'n Bake. Bake at 375F for about 45 minutes. Throw in a couple of pierced baking potatoes to make baked potatoes to go along. A Boglehead recently posted a delicious-sounding version of this wrapping the chicken in prosciutto instead of breading it. If I recall correctly he recommended using a couple different types of cheeses for the interior including Parmesan.

That may have been me. It's a favorite dish of mine, really simple. Oven to 400. Butterfly a chicken breast and stuff it with chopped spinach, goat cheese, and parmesan. Wrap it in proscuttio and bake it for 20 minutes. Easy.

mnnice

Post by mnnice » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:30 pm

TFinator wrote:This isn't a direct answer, but it may help.
The past few years I have just gone shopping with my SO to whole foods (a treat for a BH!) or some other fancy specialty market. We walk around and take our time and decide what we want or what sounds good as we shop. We buy all those expensive delicious items we never do otherwise (that little wedge of cheese that's like $20/pound). Then we go home with some wine and cook together.
Entertainment value is high: Market/cooking/eating is a good 5 hours. You spend it all together. It feels like a gift because you buy so many things that are out of the ordinary. It's also fun.
As a whole foods employee and stockholder I would endorse this idea :greedy :happy

Also as someone that likes to cook a fine meal with her sweetie too. :D

acejacksingh

Post by acejacksingh » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:03 pm

mnnice wrote:
TFinator wrote:This isn't a direct answer, but it may help.
As a whole foods employee and stockholder I would endorse this idea :greedy :happy

Also as someone that likes to cook a fine meal with her sweetie too. :D
Haha this is an awesome! Also as a WFM investor (very happy with today's pop!) this would be benefit me with next earnings!

Thanks again everyone for all the great ideas! We should resurrect this thread a year from now for new ideas.

V/r
AceJ

Boglemama

Post by Boglemama » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:59 pm

I would go on one of my favorite recipe sites allrecipes.com. They have the recipes rated, with comments, so you know which ones are really good. They have a few beef recipes and one of my favorites, broiled parmesan tilapia, that you can even leave some ingredients out of (except butter, parmesan, and garlic), or substitute, and it turns out delicious. I normally serve that with rice and it's always a hit with my husband. SO EASY too.

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:40 pm

acejacksingh wrote:She know's I'm a horrible cook so it'll be a big surprise when I actually cook something great for her. Now I'm not a great cook, but I can follow directions really well :D . Looking for a simple recipe that I could prepare on Friday and serve Saturday. I would like to keep it under $50 if possible, excluding the extras (flowers, candles, chocolate, etc).
Don't pre-cook it Friday. It's not about you slaving away in the kitchen. Make it an experience you share together.

Instead choose a dish that is so simple you can make it in 15 mins by yourself, or make it together. For you situation I recommend a classic Italian dish: pasta carbonara. If you can boil water, you can make pasta carbonara. You can make the pasta while she separates the eggs. You render the bacon while she grates the cheese. Get it? If you want to elevate it to something spectacular, splurge for the best ingredients: fresh eggs, pancetta or guanciale or speck, pecorino romano or parmigiano reggiano, extra virgin olive oil. But the technique is exactly the same. The recipe is anything but exact, add as much or as little as you like. Also pick up some cheeses, cured meats, olives, tomatoes and bread to nibble on and make a salad. Buy dessert and nice bottle of red.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AAdKl1UYZs
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.