Cheap web hosting

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ThankYouJack

Cheap web hosting

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:11 pm

I'm looking to host a couple of web sites that will be small and low traffic. Any recommendations for a cheap web hosting company that is somewhat reliable?

xenial

Re: Cheap web hosting

Post by xenial » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:17 pm

NearlyFreeSpeech.NET is a great choice --- very Vanguardish in pricing.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:18 pm

Godaddy was one of the earliest discounters for hosting and web domain registration http://www.godaddy.com
I stuck with it; though I am not crazy about them.
I have a couple of friends using oneandone
http://www.1and1.com/

saltycaper

Post by saltycaper » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:24 pm

I have personal experience only with Pair Networks (not particularly cheap, but excellent experience): http://www.pair.com/services/web_hosting/

A Small Orange was highly recommended when I was comparison shopping years ago: http://asmallorange.com/hosting/shared/

If you haven't already, check out http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ for a fire hose of opinions and information on hosts.
Quod vitae sectabor iter?

avidsaver

Post by avidsaver » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:29 pm

I recommend that you check out Digital Ocean. Their VPS packages start at $5/month. I have been using that plan for my blog for over a year now and they have been very reliable.

Looking at my Pingdom report... the site has been down 6 hours and 40 minutes for the past year (2/2014 to 2/2015) and 99.92% uptime. And the actual VPS has been up a bit more than that as there was an unfortunate broken update incident that killed the site for a few of those hours, ie it was my fault and not the VPS that was down :P.

Uhmm from past experience CrownCloud.net for a VPS and Crucial Paradigm for shared hosting have also been good to me.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:14 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:I'm looking to host a couple of web sites that will be small and low traffic. Any recommendations for a cheap web hosting company that is somewhat reliable?
You might want to first decide if you want a dedicated vm, or a shared server.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:14 pm

tibbitts wrote:
ThankYouJack wrote:I'm looking to host a couple of web sites that will be small and low traffic. Any recommendations for a cheap web hosting company that is somewhat reliable?
You might want to first decide if you want a dedicated vm, or a shared server.
Shared hosting will be fine assuming the uptime is decent.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:57 am

Do you have a domain name (or two) for your sites already? In case you don't know this already, domain name service is separate from / in addition to web hosting service, although most web-hosting providers can handle both for you.

I recently had to move my personal site (about 200 hand-coded pages, 300 MB of images, and a few GB bandwidth per month) from an academic server that died and was not replaced. I got a domain name for $12 per year and shared hosting for $10 the first year, $40 per year afterwards, from namecheap.com. No problems so far.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

davebarnes

It's 2015

Post by davebarnes » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:59 am

[OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek]
A nerd living in Denver

mikep

Post by mikep » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:24 am

hostgator for $3-4/mo is great for 3 year pricing.

pondering

Post by pondering » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:45 am

Has anyone had to switch hosts? Is that as seamless as a new setup?
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

avidsaver

Post by avidsaver » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:52 am

Yes, I've switched hosts a few times. Seemless? No, but it's not too difficult so long as you make backups and plan a bit beforehand. You would basically backup the old site and transfer it to the new site, then once you are sure it is working (you'll be able to connect via IP with a browser to test), you would go to your domain registrar and switch the records to point your domain name at the new server instead of the old one. If you have shared hosting with C-Panel this can be as simple as uploading the old site to the new one, adding any MySQL databases back to PHPMyAdmin (actually I /think/ C-Panel even has a restore backup/site server transfer wizard? I dunno it's been more than a few years since I've used it :P). If you have a VPS, you may be able to get away with restoring an image or you might have to yum or apt-get install your CMS and other programs of choice, then SCP or FTP your files to the new server. Etc, etc, it can get complicated but at a basic level it is do-able for anyone to do with enough planning and a bit of reading up on guides.

EDIT: Oh, which reminds me of a piece of advice I should have included in my initial post. I always recommend keeping your web hosting and domain names separate, don't get a package. Getting them separate can save you money and will make transferring hosts easier. Namecheap and Netfirms (which I believe is owned by Tucows now) are good and cheap places to get your domain name from.

magellan

Post by magellan » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:38 am

For situations where price is more important than performance, reliability, and customer service, these guys might be worth a look:
http://FreeHostingNoAds.net/webhosting.php

I've been using their free hosting service for a low bandwidth personal website for about 6 months and it's been working great. They do try to up-sell you to their $1 a month or $5 a month paid hosting plans, but not to excess. If you don't have a domain name, your site url will be <name you pick>.t15.org.

I wouldn't use them for anything business oriented and I'd suggest registering domain names somewhere more established and redirecting them.
Last edited by magellan on Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

jchef

Post by jchef » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:41 am

If your website is extremely basic with light traffic, you could just use Dropbox for free.

A regular Dropbox account is allowed 20 GB of traffic and 100,000 downloads a day. It's quite easy to set up a website using Dropbox, a quick Google search will show a number of guides. Then you just arrange for your domain to forward to the Dropbox public link you created when setting up the website.

pyld76

Post by pyld76 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:09 pm

saltycaper wrote:I have personal experience only with Pair Networks (not particularly cheap, but excellent experience): http://www.pair.com/services/web_hosting/
Let me offer a second data point on Pair--an excellent service at a competitive price. They've been in business since the mid-1990s and their staff know their stuff. I have been a pair/pairlite and now again a pair customer since 2000 or so. I think it works out to like $5.50/month, which for the level of technical acumen and their infrastructure money well spent.

feh

Post by feh » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:41 pm

I'm currently using siteground.com. Been happy with them.