Assurant Health Insurance

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Allan

Assurant Health Insurance

Post by Allan »

I am considering this company for a small company group policy for my employees. I've never heard of them, does anyone have any experience or opinion?

Allan
john94549

Re: Assurant Health Insurance

Post by john94549 »

Is this the same "Assurant" that writes extended warranties for appliances and such?
gks

Post by gks »

Assurrant is a division of Aetna insurance with different networks including Aetna, Cofinity, First Health, and others.

http://www.assuranthealth.com/corp/ah/A ... urance.htm

http://www.assuranthealth.com/corp/ah/C ... isting.htm

Greg
john94549

Post by john94549 »

Caveat emptor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assurant

Feel free to PM. Note "Assurant Solutions." Yup, same company.
john94549

Post by john94549 »

gks wrote:Assurrant is a division of Aetna insurance with different networks including Aetna, Cofinity, First Health, and others.

http://www.assuranthealth.com/corp/ah/A ... urance.htm

Greg
Maybe I'm missing something. Assurant a division of Aetna? All I see is Assurant is Assurant, correct me if I'm wrong.

"Assurant Health’s products are underwritten and issued by John Alden Life Insurance Company, Union Security Insurance Company and Time Insurance Company, which has been in business since 1892 and is headquartered in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

About Assurant
Assurant Health is part of Assurant, a premier provider of specialized insurance products and related services in North America and select worldwide markets. Its four key businesses -- Assurant Solutions, Assurant Specialty Property, Assurant Health, and Assurant Employee Benefits -- partner with clients who are leaders in their industries and have built leadership positions in a number of specialty insurance market segments in the U.S."

Direct quote from each website.

Caveat emptor.
Reubin

Post by Reubin »

In the light of the recent Anthem breach, it might be prudent to inquire if they keep their data encrypted.
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

Allan wrote:I am considering this company for a small company group policy for my employees. I've never heard of them, does anyone have any experience or opinion? Allan
Did some marketing for one of their divisions several years back, small company policies was one of their stronger points. You can Google their financial strength ratings at Best(?)
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
john94549

Post by john94549 »

1530jesup wrote: You can Google their financial strength ratings at Best(?)
With all respect, the financial strength of Assurant is not an issue. Indeed, it's financial strength might well be inverse to the level of its customer service/paying of claims. Assurant is a publicly-traded company, with ample assets, which is good to know. When you purchase an insurance policy, I suspect you might be more concerned about the company's customer service and/or claims paying policy. As we all learned from the AIG debacle back a few years ago, insurance is only good until it isn't. I have my personal concerns regarding Assurant, but your experience might be different.

Caveat emptor.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Allan wrote:I am considering this company for a small company group policy for my employees. I've never heard of them, does anyone have any experience or opinion?

Allan
I have heard of them . Not my personal experience. But I would not willingly do business with them .
http://www.allgov.com/news/controversie ... ews=840529
bluemarlin08

Post by bluemarlin08 »

They are heavily marketing a partial self funded health plan for small groups. Talked with their rep yesterday and scheduled an appointment to discuss the plans.
Texas Radio

Post by Texas Radio »

They write low cost, high deductible plans that will allow one to invest in an HSA. I have a plan that pays 100% once the deductible is reached. We've had it for 6 years now and have been generally pleased.

Even if one has a high deductible she should present her insurance card to get insurance rates.
A portfolio is like a bar of soap. The more you handle it the smaller it gets.
magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter »

I signed up for an individual policy with them this year through Healthcare.gov. The network of doctors and hospitals, which is through Aetna, is much wider than my plan last year. Also it is a PPO.

The Rx coverage, which is the only part I've used so far, is through Caremark and is much better than my 2014 plan. I have a couple brand-name Rx that were not covered at all last year (they required a STEP program) and are covered through Assurant as preferred brands with a $35 co-pay.

I believe this is the first year they've offered plans through Healthcare.gov and are in 16 states.

I did read the complaints about them dropping HIV patients in the past but decided to still pick Assurant because the plan looked so good, at least on paper. So far I'm pleased.
gks

Post by gks »

John,

Maybe not exactly a division of, but perhaps a participant in?

Select your state for the various plans.

Greg
john94549

Post by john94549 »

Greg, our experience was with a different division of Assurant; it may well be that the "health" folks are superb. OP asked for any experience(s), and perhaps I was too quick on the trigger-finger to lump all Assurant products together.

When I read the initial post, my first reaction was merely "brought to you by the extended warranty folks." FWIW, they finally caved and replaced our refrigerator, after much to-and-fro. But it was a tussle.