garbage disposal installation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
sksbog
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:14 pm

garbage disposal installation

Post by sksbog » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:21 am

Guys is asking $713 to install including the unit
http://www.amazon.com/InSinkErator-PRO8 ... merReviews

is it worth it?

Purelife304
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:17 pm

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by Purelife304 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:27 am

No way! That is an incredible expensive for that fairly easy home improvement.

I installed a very similar model (Is that the one that can do bones too?) in my previous house with no prior experience in about half of an afternoon. Getting the plumbing just right is a bit of a pain, but it is doable.

The only thing that you may need, if you don't already have a disposal in place, is an electrician to run the power to the disposal. Typically you should come straight off the breaker box as they draw a lot of energy, so depending on where the breakers are in location to your kitchen, that could be a bit of an expense.

User avatar
Aptenodytes
Posts: 3751
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:39 pm

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by Aptenodytes » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:29 am

So $500 to install.

Depends on how much effort is involved. If there's a unit already there so the plumbing and electrical lines are already in place, $500 is too high. But if all that has to be done from scratch, it may be on target. I replaced a disposal once and would never pay $500 to have someone do it. But I might pay $200. As I get older my tolerance for payment goes up. To run new electrical lines and reconfigure the plumbing, I might pay $500; but my expectation would be more like $350, though.

If it is a very tight fit physically then you have to add to the price.

The only way to know for sure is to get a couple more estimates.

If it is a new installation, I would not handle the electrical work myself unless I had experience doing such things and felt highly confident I knew what I was doing.

livesoft
Posts: 62917
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by livesoft » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:32 am

My college-age daughter installed our disposal with my help. She went to Lowe's, bought it, brought it home, took the old one out, and put the new one in. $713? That's a rip-off. It is almost as easy as screwing in a light bulb, but maybe they would charge you $500 for that?

I suppose if one had to install a sink first and electrical, then it might be worth $300 or so for that.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

johnubc
Posts: 717
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:54 am

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by johnubc » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:37 am

about $440 for the install portion. It depends -

is this a new install?
Need electrical run?
drain pipe reconfigurations involved?
sink drain replacement?

This could be very reasonable. If it is a replacement then no, it sounds expensive.

Rodc
Posts: 13601
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:46 am

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by Rodc » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:51 am

Agree with others that if this is a replacement that is way too high.

The trickiest part for me is holding it up in place nice and straight while you get the unit in place to twist into the lock ring.

I just use the scissor-jack from my car and lift it into place. Super easy.

I've done 4 or 5 of these over the years and it has never been hard. With a little practice this is a 30 minute job. First time might be a couple of hours tops. Though I suppose something could get tricky for one reason or another, mostly this is not hard.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

sksbog
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:14 pm

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by sksbog » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:56 am

this is just replacement. Old one burned out.

sksbog
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:14 pm

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by sksbog » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:00 am

Thanks guys. I sent the guy back and paid his assessment fee $29.
I have another another quote from this company flat rate $120/hr the $30 ever 15 mins.

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 8083
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by cheese_breath » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:05 am

Rodc wrote:Agree with others that if this is a replacement that is way too high.

The trickiest part for me is holding it up in place nice and straight while you get the unit in place to twist into the lock ring.

I just use the scissor-jack from my car and lift it into place. Super easy.

I've done 4 or 5 of these over the years and it has never been hard. With a little practice this is a 30 minute job. First time might be a couple of hours tops. Though I suppose something could get tricky for one reason or another, mostly this is not hard.
I've also done a few and agree the hardest part is holding it up while installing the twist ring. I find an upside down plastic bucket and a couple wood shims holds it just where I need it.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

User avatar
LiveSimple
Posts: 1089
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:55 am

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by LiveSimple » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:06 am

sksbog wrote:Thanks guys. I sent the guy back and paid his assessment fee $29.
I have another another quote from this company flat rate $120/hr the $30 ever 15 mins.
Yeap, my plumber charges me $30 ever 15 mins. Replaced the garbage disposal, for $45 or so, many years ago.

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 8083
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by cheese_breath » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:12 am

Ruby wrote:
sksbog wrote:Thanks guys. I sent the guy back and paid his assessment fee $29.
I have another another quote from this company flat rate $120/hr the $30 ever 15 mins.
Yeap, my plumber charges me $30 ever 15 mins. Replaced the garbage disposal, for $45 or so, many years ago.
It's probably more than that now, but $713 is ridiculous for simply replacing what's already there.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

stingray5688
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by stingray5688 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:16 am

Did he have it lined out to show how he got to $713?? How much does that guy charge for his time??

DIY is very easy for this. However, if your dishwasher drains into the disposal, don't forget to remove the knockout plug. My dad has been there, done that. :oops: :D
"Don't be emotional about investing. So even a first investment should not be exciting." - livesoft

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 8083
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by cheese_breath » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:18 am

stingray5688 wrote:Did he have it lined out to show how he got to $713?? How much does that guy charge for his time??

DIY is very easy for this. However, if your dishwasher drains into the disposal, don't forget to remove the knockout plug. My dad has been there, done that. :oops: :D
You only do that once. :P
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

davebarnes
Posts: 542
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: Berkeley, Denver, Colorado USA

Easy

Post by davebarnes » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:26 am

My 28-year old daughter installed her new disposal without my help. She went to Home Depot, bought it, brought it home, took the old one out, and put the new one in.
I plan to have her do mine when it needs replacing. LOL.
A nerd living in Denver

Boglegrappler
Posts: 1104
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:24 am

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by Boglegrappler » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:31 am

I think $300 for the installation part isn't unreasonable. More than that if new electrical wiring needs to be installed. If its a replacement, I think a minimum of $200-250 makes sense. All of this is apart from the cost of the unit.

surfstar
Posts: 1494
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 pm
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by surfstar » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:38 am

No.
And I also believe that unit is too high end (for my tastes), also. Lots of great reviews on units starting at $60. But your budget wouldn't mimic mine.

I'd call around and ask for a flat-rate quote from various plumbers. $150 would be acceptable.

ddurrett896
Posts: 879
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by ddurrett896 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:06 pm

Shop around - try to find someone reputable who does side work after their 9-5 plumbing job or watch a few YouTube videos.

My last plumbing job was for a bathroom remodel that was quoted as high as $3,500 and I ended up paying $500 in labor which included: Relocating shower head, add second shower head, 2 new shower valves, relocate shower drain, toilet and vanity, and move a vent stack to a different wall.

The job took a weekend (16 hours) which equates to $31/hour untaxed or about $40/hour if he paid taxes. $40/hour equates to about an $80,000/year – not too bad for side work!

I think you could build a house if you watched enough YouTube videos…try doing it yourself!

barnaclebob
Posts: 3072
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:54 am

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:09 pm

If you can't replace a garbage disposal yourself*, you shouldn't own a house. *assuming you are able bodied
Last edited by barnaclebob on Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SamB
Posts: 822
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:17 pm

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by SamB » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:17 pm

You need to supply more information. If it just amounts to a replacement, then it is way too high. However, if you do not have an existing garbage disposal there are a number of things that could drive the cost - electrical wiring, and plumbing. Additionally, will it involve a pneumatic switch? I got one of these when the kitchen was remodeled and I strongly advise it. I don't know what the current building code says, but it is much safer. Note that the plumber, electrician must adhere to the code and that will drive the price.

If you need wiring, a pneumatic switch, and a small amount of drain pipe, then his price might be about right. I am assuming that the sink is not so old that it would not easily accommodate a garbage disposal. If you need a new sink then $700 plus all of the other items is probably too low.

If you are at all concerned about your home owner's insurance, and you don't want to educate yourself about what is required then pay the money and make sure it is done according to the code.

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 8083
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by cheese_breath » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:20 pm

SamB wrote:You need to supply more information. If it just amounts to a replacement, then it is way too high. However, if you do not have an existing garbage disposal there are a number of things that could drive the cost - electrical wiring, and plumbing. Additionally, will it involve a pneumatic switch? I got one of these when the kitchen was remodeled and I strongly advise it. I don't know what the current building code says, but it is much safer. Note that the plumber, electrician must adhere to the code and that will drive the price.

If you need wiring, a pneumatic switch, and a small amount of drain pipe, then his price might be about right. I am assuming that the sink is not so old that it would not easily accommodate a garbage disposal. If you need a new sink then $700 plus all of the other items is probably too low.

If you are at all concerned about your home owner's insurance, and you don't want to educate yourself about what is required then pay the money and make sure it is done according to the code.
He said it's just a replacement. The old one burned out.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by Kenkat » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:36 pm

I replaced mine and it is not very difficult. The "Badger" is a popular one (this is what I had and replaced it in kind):

http://www.amazon.com/InSinkErator-Badg ... s=badger+5

Amazon #1 Best Seller. $80 and seems to grind everything up just fine. Two hours install time tops.

basspond
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:01 am

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by basspond » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:38 pm

I have done three. What helped was right before the first one, a home improvement show devoted a segment on it. That really helped.

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 8083
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by cheese_breath » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:49 pm

basspond wrote:I have done three. What helped was right before the first one, a home improvement show devoted a segment on it. That really helped.
You can also find detailed installation instructions on the Internet.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

User avatar
Toons
Posts: 13049
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by Toons » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:54 pm

Do it yourself :happy
InSinkErator Installation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6NUkp0 ... onsJDMEUVq
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

User avatar
LiveSimple
Posts: 1089
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:55 am

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by LiveSimple » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:59 pm

barnaclebob wrote:If you can't replace a garbage disposal yourself*, you shouldn't own a house. *assuming you are able bodied
Not necessarily, if you can hire someone, why not ?
Basic economics is that, even if the surgeon can type faster than his / her secretary, surgeon should not do the secretary job. He / she should continue to be a surgeon.
Surgeon's opportunity cost is much higher than the secretary.

barnaclebob
Posts: 3072
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:54 am

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:39 pm

Ruby wrote:
barnaclebob wrote:If you can't replace a garbage disposal yourself*, you shouldn't own a house. *assuming you are able bodied
Not necessarily, if you can hire someone, why not ?
Basic economics is that, even if the surgeon can type faster than his / her secretary, surgeon should not do the secretary job. He / she should continue to be a surgeon.
Surgeon's opportunity cost is much higher than the secretary.
True on a theoretical level but many people wouldn't be making more money during their off time spent doing the simple repair. I guess if you are super busy at the time or value your free time a lot more than the average person then hiring someone would make sense.

Rodc
Posts: 13601
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:46 am

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by Rodc » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:57 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Ruby wrote:
barnaclebob wrote:If you can't replace a garbage disposal yourself*, you shouldn't own a house. *assuming you are able bodied
Not necessarily, if you can hire someone, why not ?
Basic economics is that, even if the surgeon can type faster than his / her secretary, surgeon should not do the secretary job. He / she should continue to be a surgeon.
Surgeon's opportunity cost is much higher than the secretary.
True on a theoretical level but many people wouldn't be making more money during their off time spent doing the simple repair. I guess if you are super busy at the time or value your free time a lot more than the average person then hiring someone would make sense.
I am a slow learner, and in some ways just as well, but very slowly my wife has been teaching me that if there are jobs I really don't feel like doing (because I don't like them or I'd rather go hiking or play with the kids) there are professionals you can hire to do the work.

Unfortunately if I hired out all the work I'd be broke, and on occasion when a pro does a lesser job than I would actually paying good money hurts.

I have almost completely stopped repairing my car and last time we replaced the kitchen flooring I just paid someone to do it.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 14587
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by Watty » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:11 pm

A great thing about home repairs today is that you can see videos of how to do them on the internet. Often with the same brand of disposal or whatever project you are doing. Even if you don't want to do the work yourself it will give you an idea of how involved it is so you can have a feel for what a fair price is.

Of course something that take 15 minute in the video often takes me an hour or more with things like stuck bolts.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 49176
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:35 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (garbage disposal).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
kenyan
Posts: 2932
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:16 am

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by kenyan » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:12 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
stingray5688 wrote:Did he have it lined out to show how he got to $713?? How much does that guy charge for his time??

DIY is very easy for this. However, if your dishwasher drains into the disposal, don't forget to remove the knockout plug. My dad has been there, done that. :oops: :D
You only do that once. :P
Yep...made that mistake last month with our replacement. Got very lucky that my wife decided to run the dishwasher during the evening rather than her usual time after we go to bed.

As for the OP, certainly since you're replacing an existing installation, that quote is at least a factor of 3-4 too high.
Retirement investing is a marathon.

madbrain
Posts: 5147
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by madbrain » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:05 pm

It's way too much, for both the unit and the labor .

I have 2 of the following units in my kitchen :

http://www.costco.com/WasteKing%C2%AE-1 ... 01&refine=

I bought them 4.5 years ago, no issue. It is much quieter than any unit I had before.
They have lifetime in-home replacement warranty.

In my previous townhome, I replaced the one garbage disposal probably 3 times in 13 years. I was using cheaper models with lower HP.

For labor on replacement, I think I paid less about $200 to replace both units.

sksbog
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:14 pm

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by sksbog » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:08 pm

Thanks for the youtube suggestion. I ended up replacing myself.
When I took the old one out, as shown in youtube, that gave me courage to attempt to install.

I agree that this is very simple if the ne disposal is somewhat similar to the previous one.

:D

Rodc
Posts: 13601
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:46 am

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by Rodc » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:36 am

Excellent.

Glad it went well.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 8083
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: garbage disposal installation

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:14 am

Why not take the wife out for a nice dinner to celebrate with part of the savings and invest the rest before it gets mixed in with the day to day funds.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Post Reply