Changing jobs and PTO

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
AND_YOU_ARE

Changing jobs and PTO

Post by AND_YOU_ARE » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:55 am

Lately I have been exploring the possibility of changing employers for a number of reasons. At the moment I have 26 days of PTO (paid time off) built up, I am on a multi month field assignment with no plans to use any PTO until April or May. I have an upcoming interview for a new position, if I am faced with a new job offer and start date, what are my options for not throwing away my unused PTO? I'm sure state laws have an effect on this, I live in NY.
Can I put my resignation notice in and then go on PTO for nearly six weeks? Can I be on PTO at my current job and be working at the potential new one? Id like to not burn any bridges at my current employer, but also not leave money on the table.

Edit:
After a quick look at our company policies, you can only be paid out for PTO if you have been terminated.

davebarnes

You lose

Post by davebarnes » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:33 pm

You get VACATION pay as it is yours.
You don't get PTO nor sick pay.
Which is why companies are shifting from vacation + sick to PTO. Clever.
A nerd living in Denver

gunn_show

Re: You lose

Post by gunn_show » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:51 pm

davebarnes wrote:You get VACATION pay as it is yours.
You don't get PTO nor sick pay.
Which is why companies are shifting from vacation + sick to PTO. Clever.
I agree with Dave that the PTO versus Vacation designation, along with your state laws, is the sticking point. In CA they have to pay that all out, but I am unsure of PTO as that could be a clever way to avoid payouts. Any job I have left with vacation time I have been paid in full. But I don't recall if any used the term PTO and if it made a difference. I would presume if you have a company intranet, it would outline the terms there for you. Or perhaps, do you know anyone that has left recently so you can ask them?
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

wxz76

Re: Changing jobs and PTO

Post by wxz76 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:53 pm

It's different with each company, my company pays unused PTOs when you leave the company.

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:03 pm

Double check your personnel policies.

If it says "at termination", that simply means at end of employment.

dsmil

Post by dsmil » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:04 pm

I was paid unused PTO a couple of years ago when I left my job in Maryland

Mintee

Post by Mintee » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:26 pm

Do you have an online employee handbook or company policies online? If so, you will want to check that out, as there is some variation among companies about how termination is handled. To my knowledge, most states (and certainly, I would think, NY) require that you be paid all benefits you have accrued, and PTO is one of those benefits. So, it's likely that you will be paid for your time off. However, some companies do not let you use PTO during your notice period (i.e., the time between the date you announce your termination and your termination) because they need you to work, they need you to teach someone else your job, etc. So, you may not be able to use PTO at the end of your employment.

Good luck.

AND_YOU_ARE

Post by AND_YOU_ARE » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:14 am

The following is the language from our employee e-handbook:
"Employees may not cash out accrued, unused PTO time except upon termination of employment or if an employee moves to a non PTO eligible status (under 20 hours a week)."

I'll have to ask an employee who has left in the last six months.

TPS_Reports

Post by TPS_Reports » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:31 am

Thanks for posting about this. I went back and checked the HR policy, my company will only reimburse PTO up to the annual amount for your current year of service. They allow you to roll over hours each year, but if you left you would lose the difference.
Pretty sneaky.

AND_YOU_ARE

Post by AND_YOU_ARE » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:25 pm

According to my coworker who left, he said the company paid out for his unused PTO. Thats a big plus. The wording in our e-handbook wasnt clear to me.