Joining the free dinner circuit? Promises, promises.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Leeraar

Joining the free dinner circuit? Promises, promises.

Post by Leeraar » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:58 pm

I am thinking of some "free" dinners:

"Protect Your Retirement in 2015: What are the hidden costs of mutual funds?"

"How our clients have kept their money safe during market downturns."

Seriously, I am out of touch with the latest angles, so I am thinking of eating their chicken.

What are the breathtaking promises from your latest free dinner offers?

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")

HIinvestor

Re: Joining the free dinner circuit? Promises, promises.

Post by HIinvestor » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:06 pm

Make oodles of money from real estate in your spare time--no money down! Extreme couponing--get tons of merchandise at a fraction of retail price! Timeshare presentation--free and you get a free vacation to hear our great pitch!

Have not chosen to spend my time and energy attending any of these wonders--would prefer devoting time and energy to more deserving causes.

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:14 pm

"Rich Dad, Poor Dad" had no food.

L.

Gill

Post by Gill » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:14 pm

Skip the free dinners and spend more time on this forum. :happy
Gill

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:40 pm

I do not think it is a good idea to try to steal bait from mousetraps.

They think they are the irresistible force. You think you are the immovable object. You can't both be right.

I know at least one person--and she is a smart lady--who bragged about going to timeshare presentations just to get free dinners. She said "When they come over to talk to me I say 'Oh, I'm just here for the free dinner' and they leave me alone." Somehow she ended up buying a timeshare that she never uses and is having trouble selling.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:41 pm

I must get a half a dozen of these invitations every month. I used to pick the ones offering the best top shelf dining, maybe once a quarter or so for entertainment purposes. My favorite had their dinners at the best steak house in the area, with an amazing blackened prime rib. Unfortunately, it seems I am not welcome anymore. Something about being unable to sit still for their obfuscation, distortion and outright lies. So now they just go in the shredder.

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:47 pm

Leeraar wrote: "How our clients have kept their money safe during market downturns."
L.
My husband and I have attended some of these dinners. The above quote is a tip off that they'll be selling annuities.

I tend to tell the people I'm sitting next to about the Boglehead's website and encourage them to check it out. Probably not what the presenter had in mind when he invited us. :)
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

john94549

Post by john94549 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:58 pm

Absolutely, go for the free food. In the trade, known as a "plate licker". For continued invitations to such events, one must fill out the cards available at the rear of the hall, and mark "please contact me with further information". That will get you marketed to at least one free dinner per week, as they sell these marketing lists. Who knows, if it goes exponentially, one might end up with a free dinner each night, forever.
Last edited by john94549 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:01 pm

Actually, I take it back. Did attend one dinner by Ameriprise or something with our neighbors. It was an excellent buffet and they won the $50 gift card door prize. None of us could figure out what they were trying to sell us other than the idea that we all needed financial planners and didn't have enough assets.

Went to 2 Fidelity seminars. Food wasn't as good but presentations were better. One was about tax considerations in investing and the other was donor advised funds.

WHL

Post by WHL » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:23 pm

How do I get Put on these lists? Sounds like a fun way to kill some time :rofl:

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:34 pm

nisiprius wrote:I do not think it is a good idea to try to steal bait from mousetraps.

They think they are the irresistible force. You think you are the immovable object. You can't both be right.

I know at least one person--and she is a smart lady--who bragged about going to timeshare presentations just to get free dinners. She said "When they come over to talk to me I say 'Oh, I'm just here for the free dinner' and they leave me alone." Somehow she ended up buying a timeshare that she never uses and is having trouble selling.
I am with Nisiprius on this.

And what is the fun to have to sit through a sales dinner with other "prospects"/ victims anyway.

There is no free lunch ( or dinner) and IMHO it would be great if Bogleheads would go and be vocal and espouse indexfunds and DIY investing Boglehead wisdom. I would not be able to pull that off and the other attendants most likely will think I am a "know it all" and ungrateful jerk to be critical of these "nice" people buying them a " free dinner". And they might have a point.

I do not have the stomach for that and I rather fast and contribute to John C Bogle Foundation of financial literacy, then be tortured through a sales meeting /dinner.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

fh2000

Post by fh2000 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:49 pm

nisiprius wrote: They think they are the irresistible force. You think you are the immovable object. You can't both be right.
This has nothing to do with OP, but this reminds me of the term, 'contradiction' in Chinese which is a combination of 2 words: 'spear' and 'shield'.

The story goes that a merchant yells to spear buyers, "my spear can puncture all shields". Later, he yells at shield buyers, "my shield can stop all spears." So, someone ask, 'what if I use your spear against your shield?"

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:59 pm

Leeraar wrote:I am thinking of some "free" dinners:

"Protect Your Retirement in 2015: What are the hidden costs of mutual funds?"

"How our clients have kept their money safe during market downturns."

Seriously, I am out of touch with the latest angles, so I am thinking of eating their chicken.

What are the breathtaking promises from your latest free dinner offers?

L.
Obviously this is a sales pitch for an indexed annuity, probably one of the worst things you'd want to consider.

Here's a link to a Forbes column I did on these things back in 2010.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/08/10/truth- ... dauer.html
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:45 am

The psychology of the interaction might not be so straightforward. For most people, getting the free dinner probably makes them feel a phantom obligation that has more consequences than they realized. Rationally, one might think ... "it's just a dinner, they can afford it, I'm here for the food, I'll just smile at them and eat." Emotionally, psychologically, and socially, what is happening in that supposedly simple dinner is not innocent at all.

There's a reciprocity effect. We tend to feel obliged to do something for those who have done something for us. People don't like to feel indebted, maybe especially to strangers (or even enemies).

There's a crowd effect. One might start to think that, well, if hot-shot lawyers, doctors, professors and other professionals are at this event and are signing up for this and that, then what am I missing?

There's the human effect. I know for a fact that I've been tempted to donate more money when the men are really hot. For a period of time, Human Rights Campaign sent these crazily hot, intellectual, polite types soliciting pledges and donations on campus, and I just wanted to donate more, even though I already had. It's like Petrocelli and the hot women at the perfume counter.

And then there are other sales tactics. Maybe they tell you the next meeting is by invitation only, but they will make an exception for you even though your net worth isn't that high. Or they ask if they can make a phonecall this weekend to follow up (What? You are going to say NO after that wonderful steak you were slurping your way through?)

And then there's the professional or authority element. Maybe some of these guys have credentials that sound impressive. Greenhorne Hunter, B.S.H.T. or Bes Honeydick, F.M.L. So even though you have no idea what those credentials mean, they sound nice, especially with that Armani suit and, boy, that car.

Before you know it, you're the next sucker.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:21 am

fh2000 wrote:
nisiprius wrote: They think they are the irresistible force. You think you are the immovable object. You can't both be right.
This has nothing to do with OP, but this reminds me of the term, 'contradiction' in Chinese which is a combination of 2 words: 'spear' and 'shield'.

The story goes that a merchant yells to spear buyers, "my spear can puncture all shields". Later, he yells at shield buyers, "my shield can stop all spears." So, someone ask, 'what if I use your spear against your shield?"
And then there is the NON-contradiction:

"There ain't a hoss that cain't be rode, and there ain't a rider that cain't be throwed."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:24 am

Free food to sit thru an annuity sales pitch?
Yawn,Pass.
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:37 am

We also never went to any of those free dinners. Our minds would get polluted from them talking. They are well trained in selling, and after so many free dinners we might buy something bad. Perhaps some of those phone calls we never answer were also from annuity salesmen?
But I must say that I had a benefit from one invitation. I bought a $20 book about trusts via Amazon which was mentioned in one of those invitations. Reading that trust book I figured out that we do not need a trust yet because we have long term care insurance, but should rethink trusts after the first of us enters a nursing home.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:08 am

You want to make high returns, right?

You want your money protected during a downturn, right?

You want to avoid risk, right?

You want the protection of an established investment company, right?

You understand that the only way you can get ahead is by having a professional manager watching out for you, right?

You will give me exorbanant fees and commissions because you don't know any better, right?

There's your preview of the presentation. Enjoy your chicken.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Cottons

Post by Cottons » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:34 am

I (sadly) work for one of the places that gives these presentations. The majority of these events are to sell annuities, although you'll never hear that word mentioned. Some buzzwords, and clues include, but are not limited to:

Risk free
Lose no money
Tax efficiency
Avoid probate
Protect retirement assets
Wealth preservation

If you want the free dinner, I say go ahead and enjoy it. If you want to continue to receive invitations (up to a certain point, people are cut off after a certain number of events if they don't make appointments) fill out an information sheet.

If you only want 1 free dinner, attend, sit through the b.s. presentation, don't fill out an info sheet, and when the staff walks around to make an appointment, tell them you're not interested.

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:44 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:You want to make high returns, right?

You want your money protected during a downturn, right?

You want to avoid risk, right?

You want the protection of an established investment company, right?

You understand that the only way you can get ahead is by having a professional manager watching out for you, right?

You will give me exorbitant fees and commissions because you don't know any better, right?

There's your preview of the presentation. Enjoy your chicken.
:sharebeer You nailed it.

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:31 am

fh2000 wrote:

Mao-Dun! I love that story. I hope sscritic noticed this post.
There is probably a Chinese idiom that would apply to each and every kind of financial event.
bogleheads, don't knock state lotteries. They helped defund the mafia.

baw703916

Post by baw703916 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:40 am

Personally, one of my goals in life is to minimize the amount of time I spend interacting with anyone trying to sell me anything. I like online shopping for that reason, as whenever I'm interacting with a salesperson I tend to go into a state of paranoia that they're trying to psychologically manipulate me (which they probably are). So no amount of free food would entice me--not even if I actually intended to buy whatever was being sold.
Most of my posts assume no behavioral errors.

MN Finance

Post by MN Finance » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:45 am

2 or 3 hours for a 25 chicken dinner? Even the most frugal should consider that time poorly spent.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:51 am

Last edited by HueyLD on Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:11 pm

My wife gets so annoyed with me sometimes. You can have the best product in the world, and I've actually sat in on some presentations that have some potential. But it seems every sales pitch includes the phrase "risk-free." At that point, I either assume you don't understand what risk is and I don't want to work with you, or you are lying to me, so I don't want to work with you.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:30 pm

Are you guys really that hard up for food that you would subject yourself to this sort of torture?

Kind of reminds me of how my employer sometimes has us work extra hours off the clock and thinks that having dinner delivered makes it OK.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:44 pm

texasdiver +1

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:02 pm

texasdiver wrote:Are you guys really that hard up for food that you would subject yourself to this sort of torture?

Kind of reminds me of how my employer sometimes has us work extra hours off the clock and thinks that having dinner delivered makes it OK.
My time is worth more than that. I think it's a good idea for everyone to sit down every now and then and think about what your time really is worth.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

cyfan

Post by cyfan » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:41 pm

The rage lately seems to be equity indexed annuities. I think in one presentation they even inserted the word "fixed" in the middle of it which really puzzled me; how can something be both equity indexed and fixed at the same time? I guess they consider it "fixed" on the way down and "equity indexed" on the way up. Anyway, I agree that the free dinner by itself does not make it worth the time on its own but I am intrigued by analyzing the selling approach, lack of transparency and evidence, what's hot and what's not in the financial planner world, primarily to warn people I care about. There is a 50/50 chance that my wife will need to know how to avoid this and chatting with others in the room can be quite entertaining. That said, 2 in the past 2 years is good enough for quite a while.

nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:51 pm

cyfan wrote:The rage lately seems to be equity indexed annuities. I think in one presentation they even inserted the word "fixed" in the middle of it which really puzzled me; how can something be both equity indexed and fixed at the same time? I guess they consider it "fixed" on the way down and "equity indexed" on the way up. Anyway, I agree that the free dinner by itself does not make it worth the time on its own but I am intrigued by analyzing the selling approach, lack of transparency and evidence, what's hot and what's not in the financial planner world, primarily to warn people I care about. There is a 50/50 chance that my wife will need to know how to avoid this and chatting with others in the room can be quite entertaining. That said, 2 in the past 2 years is good enough for quite a while.
They changed the term from "equity indexed annuities" to "fixed indexed annuities" because the abusive selling of "equity indexed annuities" had gotten to be so bad that the marks were starting to wise up.

Annuity Industry Gets Name Makeover

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:56 pm

The downside? You have to spend an hour listening to a sales pitch.

The upside? My husband, who is in sales, enjoys analyzing the sales pitch. I enjoy trying out a new restaurant (if neither one of us finds the restaurant interesting, we pass on attending). Both my husband and I enjoy time spent together. Both of us enjoy chatting with the folks who share our table. And we certainly enjoy sharing the Bogleheads website with our fellow tablemates. :) We will always remember our conversation with a 40-something woman who was attending a dinner with her folks. She didn't make a lot of money. She had no clue that she would be able to file for social security benefits based on her ex-husband's earnings until we told her about that.

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:23 pm

MN-Investor wrote:The downside? You have to spend an hour listening to a sales pitch.

The upside? My husband, who is in sales, enjoys analyzing the sales pitch. I enjoy trying out a new restaurant ....
I would be there to learn about the sales pitch, and to be at a different restaurant.

The only thing I really know about variable annuities is they are evil. Because, the Bogleheads say so. So, I will go
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell
And, the chicken may be acceptable.

L.

john94549

Post by john94549 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:14 pm

texasdiver wrote:
Too funny. Reminds me of my early years in BigLaw. Working until 7 PM was expected. However, if you worked straight through until 10 PM, they would give you a dinner voucher, valid that evening only, mind you. Most folks passed on the offer and just went home to bed. Oh, and did I mention Saturdays? Or Sundays? Working a minimum five billables either day entitled you to a "burger voucher" (I kid you not; it basically covered lunch at McDonalds).

Funniest thing about the "dinner vouchers" was how they were issued. One (unlucky) junior partner always had to hang around until 10 PM to sign off on the timesheets and the vouchers. Never knew whether he (and it was invariably a "he") got a voucher as well.
Last edited by john94549 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:24 pm

Shouldn't meal time be enjoyable? I also tried to justify going to pharmaceutical dinners years ago and then came to my senses; I stopped that over a decade ago and now equate food with pleasure.

Leif

Post by Leif » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:32 pm

I'm holding out for a Ruth Chris invitation. I got one a while back, but I could not make the scheduled time.

AstroJohn

Post by AstroJohn » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:42 pm

I have found one exception to the free dinner/sales pitch game. Once we had enough money at Fidelity, we began receiving an occasional--every few years--invite to a dinner that they had catered at the local office. The one my wife and I attended was a delightful Australian wine tasting with excellent wine commentary by an expert they brought in. We met some very interesting people at our table who were just a little ahead of us in enjoying retirement. No sales pitch of any kind. Our advisor said it was just their way of thanking us for the business, which in our case is just a classic three-fund portfolio.

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:47 pm

john94549 wrote:Absolutely, go for the free food. In the trade, known as a "plate licker". For continued invitations to such events, one must fill out the cards available at the rear of the hall, and mark "please contact me with further information". That will get you marketed to at least one free dinner per week, as they sell these marketing lists. Who knows, if it goes exponentially, one might end up with a free dinner each night, forever.
Yeah, but, in my area these "dinners" are at 3.30-4.00 and "lunch" is at 10.30. Not worth running my digestive system off the rails.
I prefer sticking to the wine club offers; cost a few bucks but I never leave the house and get to drink all that healthy red wine...
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

Sagenick48

Post by Sagenick48 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:53 pm

Let's see, at a 39% marginal rate, plus 3.8% ACA extra plus Pease phase outs, plus 9.85% state income tax, not deductible due to AMT, and 3 hours of time for two persons, and plus gas for say 1 gallon at $2 and two persons at the equilivalent of miminum wage, nope still doesn't add up. I would rather stay home and post comments to this site.
The market goes up, the market goes down.

Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:54 pm

^ Lol! Yes, and that explains why Fidelity offers quite a few funds with reasonably high expense ratios!

Several years ago, a charity I was thinking about supporting took us out to a VERY nice restaurant with a multi-course meal complete with wine-pairing. As you might imagine, the bill was significant. On a follow-up phone call asking my decision regarding becoming a contributor, I said no because I couldn't justify supporting a charitable organization that had spent $1,000 on a dinner for four!

There are really very, very few free lunches (or dinners).

nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:55 pm

MN-Investor wrote:...I enjoy trying out a new restaurant...
Do you actually get to order a dinner, or is it just a catered deal where you get no choice, or choose ("Would you like the warm chicken with stuff on it, or the warm pasta with stuff on it?")

jmoroney

Post by jmoroney » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:04 pm

We are new retirees and have received these free dinner offers for years.It has always been on financial issues. We did attend a couple of seminars but never took the bait. As snowbirds we smiled when we recently read an ad in the local Florida paper offering a free dinner and seminar. The seminar was on Cremation and by attending you had a chance of winning a cremation package! Only in Florida:)

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:15 pm

Leif wrote:I'm holding out for a Ruth Chris invitation. I got one a while back, but I could not make the scheduled time.
I have Ruth's Chris in Troy, MI on Feb 10 or 12. pm me.

L.

TravelerMSY

Post by TravelerMSY » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:27 pm

Play nice and save them the trouble if you've made up your mind before you go. This is the financial equivalent of sitting through a timeshare pitch.

bs010101

Post by bs010101 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:45 pm

I think this is literally the meaning of "there is no such thing as a free lunch."

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:27 pm

TravelerMSY wrote:Play nice and save them the trouble if you've made up your mind before you go. This is the financial equivalent of sitting through a timeshare pitch.
:?: My invitation says "Nothing will be sold at this 100% educational event."

I was wondering if my mileage is deductible as an education expense?

L. :P

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:35 pm

nisiprius wrote:I do not think it is a good idea to try to steal bait from mousetraps.

Agree completely here. I know two people that were polar opposites at work. They unknowingly bought timeshares right next to each other. Now they get to vacation together. :-)

There's no free lunch!

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:15 pm

I went looking for a "plan" in 2008, before the collapse. The brand name brokers didn't want to see me because I didn't make their asset threshold. The independent FA's wanted AUM. One big name firm didn't have a local rep. Finally found a couple of FA/Sales to show me their stuff. And once I understood their ideas/product, I could do some what ifs, comparisons and shopping. I guess I shocked some people because I was a "walk-in".

What I want to know is, How do you get on the free dinner circuit? Who knows, I might learn something. :annoyed

[I don't take advice from anyone, until I vet and test]
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

bsteiner

Post by bsteiner » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:20 pm

jmoroney wrote:We are new retirees and have received these free dinner offers for years.It has always been on financial issues. We did attend a couple of seminars but never took the bait. As snowbirds we smiled when we recently read an ad in the local Florida paper offering a free dinner and seminar. ...
If you go to the free dinner seminar, and you're the one who buys the annuity, the living trust, the annuity, or the timeshare, not only did you pay for your free dinner, but you paid for the free dinners for everyone else in the room.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:27 pm

RE: Timeshare. The other day, really, I was thinking about alternatives in getting a second home, Seattle, to be close to son. I wonder if a timeshare would be a good alternative?
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

investor

Post by investor » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:36 pm

there are horror stories about people trying to get out of timeshares......

investor