Approaching 50...What to expect?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Ged

Re: Approaching 50...What to expect?

Post by Ged » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:58 pm

The first things I noticed was loss of stamina and attention span.

My eyes also lost any ability to focus on the small print.

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:26 pm

I never had a decent memory so did not notice that, but I do notice a reduced ability to stay tightly focused.

I am hoping that is because my life is much more hectic now, especially at work where I manage a group of folks which means continuous interruptions and many things to juggle, rather than sit in my office alone thinking deep thoughts about one thing for weeks at a time.

Dream on, right? :)
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:18 am

The 50s are a good time to make sure you take good care of yourself for the long term. Establish a good exercise regimen and develop a reasonable diet. Many health problems develop slowly over decades and catch up with us in our 50s and 60s. Many of these can be prevented or minimized by taking good care of our bodies and mind. This is easier said than done because many at that age are caught up in demanding time consuming careers and family life. It takes good planning and discipline to make sure you alot the time and effort to take care of yourself.

Also, during this timeframe, one should practice preventive medicine. Take annual physcials/wellness exams, do periodic tests like prostate and colonoscopy, and make sure you have a very good primary care physician.

Your financial health is also important. You need to do the financial planning necessary to assure your retirement plans are on track. If necessary, adjusting savings and/or spending at this time can still have a major impact on your retirement plans.

Come back in 10 years and we will tell you what the 60s are like <grin>

Ron

Post by Ron » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:33 am

Hayden wrote:My memory is shot. As a teenager and in my 20s, I could remember anything I read. Not anymore.

I'm surprised others haven't mentioned this. Is it just me?

My wife reminds me of things I've done "wrong" over the years (51 thus far).

No need for memory as long as she's around :twisted: ...

- Ron

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:49 am

Ron wrote:
Hayden wrote:My memory is shot. As a teenager and in my 20s, I could remember anything I read. Not anymore.

My wife reminds me of things I've done "wrong" over the years (51 thus far).

No need for memory as long as she's around :twisted: ...

- Ron

But if she's nearing 50 can you trust her memory on that? I have a habit of remembering things that never happened.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:08 pm

I still remember what happened in my first grade year when I was 7 years old. But I frequently forget if I flushed the toilet and had to go back to check and found that I did.

investordoc

Post by investordoc » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:15 pm

I don't know if it has been said yet but it is time for your colonoscopy. Very important test. The prep is the worst part of the exam. Also if you haven't had it before it is time for a PSA (prostate specific antigen )blood test. Don't let your MD talk you out of getting it. Also you need at the same visit a DRE ( digital rectal exam) of the prostate. I won't go into the specifics of the exam itself, but very important. J
It is what it is until it isn't anymore

SamB

Post by SamB » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:30 pm

I would not have eaten the food pyramid for the last thirty years. Basically, your body is going to start to fall apart. Exercise won't fix it. In fact, you can't fix chronic disease with drugs in most cases. So, I recommend tuning into the possibility that all of the abuse you have submitted yourself to in the first fifty years will now begin to manifest itself in the next fifty years, and I am being optimistic. Finance will be the least of your worries.

Basically you will have two approaches to health in old age, or middle age, as the case may be. You can figure out what you are genetically meant to eat, or you can take unlimited amounts of drugs and spend the rest of your life drugged, and semi conscious. The choice is yours, and if you think there are not huge financial interests affected by your approach you are naive. You have to begin to decide if you are going to become a chronically diseased, dependable cash flow for any number of competing interests, or are you going to at least put as much effort into your health as you do your finances? Do you want to die healthy or in a drugged out stupor? And it is not at all obvious how to do this.

kksmom

Post by kksmom » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:47 pm

investordoc wrote:I don't know if it has been said yet but it is time for your colonoscopy. Very important test. The prep is the worst part of the exam. Also if you haven't had it before it is time for a PSA (prostate specific antigen )blood test. Don't let your MD talk you out of getting it. Also you need at the same visit a DRE ( digital rectal exam) of the prostate. I won't go into the specifics of the exam itself, but very important. J

controversial based on which organization guideline you look into... iirc only the urological association recommends it, and then only based on pt physician shared decision.

rgnort

Post by rgnort » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:18 pm

Update your resume, and keep it updated. You are now more vulnerable to get the heave-ho from your job, maybe moreso in the years to come. Being proactive now will pay dividends later. And yes, get and stay In as good physical condition as possible. It's OK to look your age when job hunting, but it's important to look like you care about taking care of yourself.

59 soon, still driving the ball as far as ever. Now, about putting...

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:50 pm

rgnort wrote:59 soon, still driving the ball as far as ever. Now, about putting...

Are you referring to golf or senior diapers? :D

rgnort

Post by rgnort » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:43 pm

Are you referring to golf or senior diapers?

Gas production is fine, room clearing. Limiting 3-putts, not so much.

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:49 pm

Rodc wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:Boy Scouts and little old ladies offer to help you cross the street. :P

That has not happened, but even young middle age people use "Sir" more and more often when talking to me.

When I stopped dyeing my hair and let it go white, suddenly people were rushing to help me put groceries in the car and so forth.

I highly recommend not dyeing hair, because it saves a considerable amount of time and money and you don't need to condition the hair any longer once it grows out.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:03 pm

SamB wrote:I would not have eaten the food pyramid for the last thirty years. Basically, your body is going to start to fall apart. Exercise won't fix it. In fact, you can't fix chronic disease with drugs in most cases. So, I recommend tuning into the possibility that all of the abuse you have submitted yourself to in the first fifty years will now begin to manifest itself in the next fifty years, and I am being optimistic. Finance will be the least of your worries.

Basically you will have two approaches to health in old age, or middle age, as the case may be. You can figure out what you are genetically meant to eat, or you can take unlimited amounts of drugs and spend the rest of your life drugged, and semi conscious. The choice is yours, and if you think there are not huge financial interests affected by your approach you are naive. You have to begin to decide if you are going to become a chronically diseased, dependable cash flow for any number of competing interests, or are you going to at least put as much effort into your health as you do your finances? Do you want to die healthy or in a drugged out stupor? And it is not at all obvious how to do this.

Do you mind telling us what worked for you? I find the problem with eating healthy is it is very similar to the investing world. I watched three documentaries this month alone on eating healthy and they all contradicted each other and many of them had their own PHDs that backed their data. Knives over Forks recomended a plant based diet, The Perfect Human Diet recommended a meat based diet and a doc I saw on You Tube suggested a very severe calorie restricted diet to promote longevity.

To make matters worse, you see someone like Warren Buffett who admittedly has the worst diet a human could have and is still very active and sharp as a tack. My Dad who ate very healthy died at the age of 52 of cancer.

I think it's a crap shoot and I'm starting to think finding a passion in life is more important then diet. My dad was a very stressed out person and I believe stress contributed to his early death. Whereas you see Bogle and Buffett who had and have their health issues but still act like they are just starting out and have a lot to offer the world.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

harryw

Post by harryw » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:39 pm

stemikger, you might want to check out In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan. You probably will never again ask a question about nutrition after reading it.
You are right, nutrition is like investing: simple, but not easy and much, much obfuscation and bad advice out there by people who want to make a buck.

Genes, of course, trump almost everything. If you didn't choose your parents wisely you're screwed, no matter how healthy you live.

AAA

Post by AAA » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:27 pm

stemikger wrote: I find the problem with eating healthy is it is very similar to the investing world. I watched three documentaries this month alone on eating healthy and they all contradicted each other and many of them had their own PHDs that backed their data. Knives over Forks recomended a plant based diet, The Perfect Human Diet recommended a meat based diet and a doc I saw on You Tube suggested a very severe calorie restricted diet to promote longevity.

What helps one to decide is to see who/what is sponsoring each of these ideas. T. Colin Campbell (one of the people in Knives over Forks) writes in The China Study about his experience on several government and academic committees tasked with making recommendations on diet. The influence of the meat and dairy industry was formidable and financial interests usually trumped health concerns.

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:50 pm

My closeup vision started declining in late 40's. By 50 you will probably either be using reading glasses or progressive lenses. Similar to someone else, since turning 50 my distance vision has changed very little. But last year the eye doctor told me it looks like cataracts are in my future (5-10 years out, I am mid-50's now).

I started noticing faster physical decline in early 50's. The other bogleheads are right, get into a regular exercise routine as soon as you can (before 50 if possible) and stick to it.

If you are fair skinned and had some serious sunburns in your youth, you may start paying for it in your 50's when skin cancer appears. Start paying attention to any changes in your skin and see a dermatologist if something looks suspicious.

Watch out for phone scams and other scams where people are trying to steal your money. They seem to prey on seniors, who often have more money and worse memory than younger people, and I'm sure it will get worse in the 60's and 70's. I am in the habit now of never answering my phone if I don't recognize the caller ID, and never giving out personal information over the phone unless I initiated the call. Hopefully those habits will be so ingrained that I won't fall for any scams later in life.

If you haven't done so already, 50's might be a good time to put your bill payments on autopilot so you don't miss payments as memory declines. As much as possible I have bills automatically charged to credit cards, and I regularly download transactions into personal finance software to watch for fraud. I pay the credit card bills manually, but I will probably put them on autopay at some point. I'm getting into these habits now so that by the time I reach 70 or so I am hopefully just monitoring my finances, with income (RMDs) and payments pretty much on autopilot.

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:23 pm

I don't know, I can't really remember all the previous comments :wink:

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:24 pm

stemikger wrote:Do you mind telling us what worked for you? I find the problem with eating healthy is it is very similar to the investing world. I watched three documentaries this month alone on eating healthy and they all contradicted each other and many of them had their own PHDs that backed their data. Knives over Forks recomended a plant based diet, The Perfect Human Diet recommended a meat based diet and a doc I saw on You Tube suggested a very severe calorie restricted diet to promote longevity.

What worked for me was vitamins and physical activity. I'm 74 and consider myself to be in pretty good health, the only issue being high cholesterol. People are usually surprised when I tell them my age, expecting me to be younger.

I've always been a junk food junkie and ate far from a good, balanced diet (hence the high cholesterol). But I compensated for the diet deficiencies with vitamin supplements. I began taking multivitamins while still in high school and added Vitamin C tablets almost immediately after graduating college. About 10 years later I added vitamin E. When I began taking Pravachol for the cholesterol I also added Co Q-10.

I've always been a physically active person from the time I began to walk... Outdoor sports with the other neighborhood kids while growing up... Swimming team and inter-mural sports in high school and college... And always lots of walking. I have several pieces of exercise equipment in my basement which I used regularly until I started neglecting them to spend too much time with the Bogleheads. Need to get myself back into that.

One thing to consider as you approach 50 is you're closing in on the 'new meat' stage for widows and have to guard against being hit-on.

edit: All of the above applies to my physical condition only. Mental may be another question... which may be why I forgot to include this comment earlier. :oops:
Last edited by cheese_breath on Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:38 pm

Simple man,

I do not recall what it was to turn 50. I have never had much of a memory and I am lucky to have a spouse without much of memory either. We do not worry about losing our memory since we have never had one.

It is a downer to be on the downhill side of life. Youth is wasted on the young.

Rolling down hill has made our life remarkably effortless. I do feel that I am much better grounded, happier and have better purpose. I was trying to beat the world in my 30's and 40's ( never beat that world though). I feel wiser ( another sign my mind is going) and feel more secure and worries have fallen away.

Turning 50 to start the second part of life has been good to us.

I hope it will work the same way for you.

Wildebeest.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

harryw

Post by harryw » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:52 pm

Wildebeest wrote:Youth is wasted on the young.

I disagree - I would never have survived my juvenile shenanigans with an old man's body!

StarsandStripes

Post by StarsandStripes » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:10 pm

50 is a great age! You now have more free time than ever before. Your childern are beginning to leave your house and start a life of their own. You can bask in there successes and struggles. You have time for your most important wife. Enjoy each other.

You are entering the final stretch of your career. Be open to learning new things to maintain or advance your competencies. You have knowledge and know your position in your venue. As a Boglehead you should understand and feel competent in your retirement plans.

Show the young kids that the old person can still run with the big dogs. You may not be as fast or strong as you once were but you can still have a great time doing an event, think iron distance.

Have a dream go for it. You still have your health so make the most of it.

Write down your screen name and password so you do not have to email the admin to log into Bogleheads, not sure who had to do that. Thank you admin.

I have truly enjoyed being 5o something. As the decade comes to a close I have no regrets and look forward to the next decade of adventures. Good luck

canon_shooter

Post by canon_shooter » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:53 pm

Currently 60.2 yrs old.

I second the comments on health, developing outside interests and friends, and the catchup contributions to your IRA.

My financial planner who has seen and has hundreds of clients shared the following with me when I joined him. He said that the one thing he encourages his clients to do is to enjoy their 50's and 60's the best they can. He has seen many people (and similar cases mentioned on this board) who wait too long to do the things they wanted to do and find their health no longer permits. Push yourself to live outside your comfort zone somewhat and get going on your next stage of life. For me, it's travel and other activities.

reneeh63

Post by reneeh63 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:58 pm

At 50, each morning I'd feel like I'd worked out the night before (cardio & weights)...then remember that I hadn't!

Realized after 3 decades of being the same weight that I needed to make a conscious effort to lose 10 pounds that had crept on in the last 5 years....I couldn't just wish it away like I might have done when younger.

Made it a point to every year to take AT LEAST two vacations of a week each...time to do more than just a scattering of long weekends.

coacher

Post by coacher » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:05 pm

If you have adult children who lack maturity or independence (if not financial then emotional), make it a priority during the next few years to do what you can to get them there. One can do all the "right things," (diet, exercise, mental stimulation), but I have found for myself and witnessed in others that the stress of worrying about adult children can sap ones energy as many other things cannot.

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:09 pm

People, it is Forks Over Knives (not Knives Over Forks). Getting older, I find I have to check every reference like that, or I will make embarrassing mistakes.

Michael (eat food, mostly plants, not too much) Pollan is the Jack (stay the course) Bogle of nutrition.
10% cash 45% stock 45% bond. Retired, w/d rate 1.5%

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:30 am

Christine_NM wrote:Michael (eat food, mostly plants, not too much) Pollan is the Jack (stay the course) Bogle of nutrition.

+1

Viking65

Post by Viking65 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 am

I am not the OP, but am in a very similar situation - turning 50 this year. What a wonderful thread this is! The advice and wisdom are really interesting for me as I run headlong into my next decade. Thanks all.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:13 am

Christine_NM wrote:People, it is Forks Over Knives (not Knives Over Forks). Getting older, I find I have to check every reference like that, or I will make embarrassing mistakes.

Michael (eat food, mostly plants, not too much) Pollan is the Jack (stay the course) Bogle of nutrition.

Knives over Forks is the x-rated version.

The one nice thing about turning 50 is I don't get embarrassed that easily.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:07 am

stemikger wrote:The one nice thing about turning 50 is I don't get embarrassed that easily.

That's true. It's not like there is anything new under the sun.

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:44 pm

xxxxx
Last edited by Christine_NM on Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10% cash 45% stock 45% bond. Retired, w/d rate 1.5%

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:37 pm

Did you read the post right before yours? Just kidding....

As I creep up on 50 the things I notice is that physically I can still do most of the stuff but just not as often. That gym workout takes an extra day or two to recover from and if I tweak anything we are talking 3 weeks instead of 3 days to get back to normal. I have made a effort now to really avoid every getting out of shape (i.e. taking 2 months off because work is busy) because getting back now is brutal.

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:38 pm

self deleted.
Last edited by dolphinsaremammals on Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:42 pm

You'll become invisible to the outside world......which has its benefits. šŸ™ˆ
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Angst

Post by Angst » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:18 pm

dolphinsaremammals wrote:It actually is quite weird. Mentally I don't feel that different from when I was twenty. Smarter, hopefully. Yet the body has started falling apart. It's like being in a boat with a slow leak :D

- Speaking of leaks, you'll find yourself gradually spending longer stretches of time standing at the toilet.
- Which reminds me, you'll eventually pass gas more frequently too, sometimes startling yourself (if not others) for the lack of warning.
- Which further reminds me, your sense of smell will decrease.

And for that matter, you'll gradually become more and more impressed by (and jealous of) the acuity of younger persons' senses of sight, smell, hearing... let alone their ability to speak as if a cassette was playing in fast-forward. But don't expect anyone younger than you to know what a cassette is. You do know what a cassette is? Oh sh... you're probably too young. Ughh... What was I talking about anyhow?

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:27 pm

Angst wrote:- Which reminds me, you'll eventually pass gas more frequently too, sometimes startling yourself (if not others) for the lack of warning. (the Lord giveth)
- Which further reminds me, your sense of smell will decrease. the Lord taketh away

The Lord works in mysterious ways...

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:29 pm

This thread is starting to get depressing :x

peppers

Post by peppers » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:33 pm

Dutch wrote:This thread is starting to get depressing :x

Wait until someone starts "approaching 60...what to expect?"
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:20 pm

I googled approaching 50 best times of your life - Google Search - this thread was the first result. :)

Change the search wording to "life begins at 50" for more interesting discussions (off-topic, not to post here).
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:01 pm

Hi simple man,

For the record, I will celebrate the 23rd anniversary of my 50th birthday this month.

The week after I turned 60, I read an article in "US News" titled, "The Do or Die Decade." It was all about how men start to fall apart at 50. I had to laugh because at the time I considered the 50's to be my best decade ever. I enjoyed good health, made a lot of money without working very hard, didn't have a day job, met the love of my life, got married, moved to Arizona and have been living the dream ever since. I should have always had such troubles.

To be sure, our bodies change over time. So? That's been going on since we were born and will continue until we die. I noticed in my 40's that I started needing reading glasses and had lower back pain. Presbyopia is a certainty like death and taxes. If you live long enough you're going to get it. As for the lower back pain, I lived with it on and off until my mid 50's when I bought a Herman Miller Aeron Chair for my desk chair and the backaches went away.

I never was much of an athlete so it's difficult to miss what I never did. I'm reminded of a line George Burns spoke when he was in his 90's: I can do everything I could do when I was 20. That will give you a good idea of how pathetic I was when I was 20. :D

For someone turning 50 or older, I suggest the following:

1. Remember that health is Job #1. Get an exercise program you enjoy and stay with it. It can be something as simple as a 30 minute brisk walk 5 times a week. Get a heart rate monitor when you exercise and get your heart in to the target heart range for your age. I like low impact exercises: walking, cycling, swimming, rowing, etc. I have seen friends who were avid runners require knee replacement surgery in their 40's and 50's. In addition to keeping your weight down and your body fit, exercise is a mood elevator. It may not add years to your life but it will give you more good years. I also recommend an annual physical exam to catch any potentially hazardous health issues before they get out of control.

As for diet, I'm not recommending that anyone do as I do, but I eat pretty much whatever I want in moderation and have suffered no major ill effects. I've been using saccharin in my ice tea since I was a teenager. Years ago, the so-called experts told us it was going to give us cancer. I ignored the advice. Later it was concluded that saccharin is safe. When I was around 40 the word was that eating too much red meat was going to give us heart disease and cancer. I eat red meat almost every day and I'm still here having fun. Not long ago I read that a lot of the red meat scare was a hoax. I also read sometime back studies of centenarians found that they eat whatever they want. I use sugar substitutes whenever I can but I'm not one to shy away from a good dessert.

I've never smoked, done drugs and drink less than 10 drinks a year, including beer and wine. When I was being warned about saccharin, most believed that smoking was a foolish, expensive habit and little more. Today we know better.

2. Take stock of your career and financial life. A person's peak earning years are usually from 45 to 55. Hopefully, your career is going well, you are accumulating wealth for retirement and have any debts well under control that can be paid off by the time you retire. Money is not the root of all evil. The lack of money is the root of all evil. Money problems can be a source of enormous stress and you don't want those as you approach senior citizen hood. You have come to the right place on this forum for financial advice. I read recently that people whose wealth is in the top 10 percent live 10 years longer on average than people whose wealth is in the bottom 10 percent.

3. If you are in good health and take care of yourself, you will likely live another 35 years or more. That's well over half of your adult life. Fifty is a great time to take stock. Look back and ask yourself, "What have I learned? What is my life like now? How would I like it to be? What can I start doing to make the second half better than the first half?" The answers to those and similar questions will get you pointed in the right direction.

4. Learn to adapt. It's a very underrated skill. As we get older we no longer have physical abilities and the memory we once had. Know your limitations and live within them. We know a couple about our age who decided to go ice skating a few weeks ago after not having done it for decades. The man fell on the ice, broke his hip, and is back in the hospital for more surgery due to major complications. It's been a lot of pain, suffering and expense and all of it could have been avoided. The late Peter Bernstein when writing about investing wrote, "Risk is about the consequences of being wrong." It's a great statement about taking any kind of risk. When the downside of a risk is very bad, don't go there.

A 20 year-old once asked an 80 year-old man, "What does it feel like to be 80?"

He replied, "Just like it feels to be 20 as long as I don't act like I'm 20." And that, my friend, is pure wisdom.

Have a great second-half.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.

invst65

20/40/60 Rule

Post by invst65 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:10 am

Always liked this .....

When you are 20 you worry about what others think about you.
When you are 40 you don't care what others think about you anymore.
When you are 60 you realize nobody was thinking about you at all.

So, in other words, one advantage of getting old is decreasing narcissism.

SamB

Post by SamB » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:59 pm

stemikger wrote:
Do you mind telling us what worked for you? I find the problem with eating healthy is it is very similar to the investing world. I watched three documentaries this month alone on eating healthy and they all contradicted each other and many of them had their own PHDs that backed their data. Knives over Forks recomended a plant based diet, The Perfect Human Diet recommended a meat based diet and a doc I saw on You Tube suggested a very severe calorie restricted diet to promote longevity.

To make matters worse, you see someone like Warren Buffett who admittedly has the worst diet a human could have and is still very active and sharp as a tack. My Dad who ate very healthy died at the age of 52 of cancer.

I think it's a crap shoot and I'm starting to think finding a passion in life is more important then diet. My dad was a very stressed out person and I believe stress contributed to his early death. Whereas you see Bogle and Buffett who had and have their health issues but still act like they are just starting out and have a lot to offer the world.

Did you mean "The Perfect Health Diet?" This is an interesting book because it takes a rather interesting approach to the final recommendations. As it turns out what I do is very similar to what is recommended here, but I disagree with some of the rationale provided by the book. For example, the human composition- in terms of carbohydrate, fat, and protein is compelling and interesting, but does not constitute proof. Giraffes eat primarily acacia twigs, so you could hardly determine its diet via the methodology of this book. Of course if you looked at the animal's gut flora, and figured out how it worked then you might infer something about what the organism needed for survival. Many zoo animals have died because veterinarians fed their animals a diet radically different from what they were genetically configured to eat. My view is that the carbohydrate requirement for most humans is closer to the glycogen content of the human body, and this provides a radically different diet from what most people eat, and what is found in your local supermarket.

You need to go read nutrition history for at least the last two hundred years, if not the last two million to get a handle on this. It is much like investing. It may take ten years and reading scores of books to finally convince yourself that the correct approach is very simple. I have read about 35 books at this point, spanning about five years. I feel pretty confident about what I do because I have measured the biomarkers, which is not just your weight.

You have to realize that huge and powerful financial interests govern what is served up to you as "healthy." Take your pick, Federal food policy via the USDA, big pharma, the diet industry, the diet book industry, big food, big sports food, all have a stake in how you eat. In fact it is not too hard to make the case that making you sick, but not so sick that you die, is the perfect approach because it creates a very lucrative and dependable cash stream. Don't think that academe does not have a stake in this either. Careers have been built on unsupportable claims and dogma and and there will be no change until these people just die off.

Read the history. That will provide a possible direction. The best approach may be to go back and consider what your grandmother had to say about what to eat. In fact, medical science had a better handle on obesity in the 19th century than it does today, and it was eventually reflected in the medical texts of that era. You need to find out why all of this changed. Otherwise you will never be able to protect yourself from it. It is similar to learning how to protect your financial wealth from a stockbroker.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:39 pm

harryw wrote:stemikger, you might want to check out In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan. You probably will never again ask a question about nutrition after reading it.
You are right, nutrition is like investing: simple, but not easy and much, much obfuscation and bad advice out there by people who want to make a buck.

Genes, of course, trump almost everything. If you didn't choose your parents wisely you're screwed, no matter how healthy you live.

Isn't Michael Pollan making a pretty nice living off his advice?:) Personally I think there is a lot of time wasted on the search for perfect in nutrition versus good enough. Go the USNews lists of diets and pick anything in the top 10 diets that fits your tastes and take your chances. It might not be perfect but like the 3 fund portfolio, it will probably be close enough.

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:00 pm

I should add, pay attention when you walk. It is easy to fall and do significant damage. Pay attention to balance - ask your internist to check that out and go to physical therapy to develop a better sense of it if needed.

harryw

Post by harryw » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:36 pm

randomguy wrote:Isn't Michael Pollan making a pretty nice living off his advice?:)

It's not a diet plan, if that's what you're suggesting and it's more of an analysis than advice. But yes, authors of successful books tend to make money. I'm sure Mr. Bogle's books generated some good cash too.

Personally I think there is a lot of time wasted on the search for perfect in nutrition versus good enough. Go the USNews lists of diets and pick anything in the top 10 diets that fits your tastes and take your chances. It might not be perfect but like the 3 fund portfolio, it will probably be close enough.

Michael Pollan would definitely agree with that first sentence. Not so much with the second one - 'diets' in that sense are rather useless. For one, if they work for somebody it's because of the calorie restriction, not because of the components and more importantly good nutrition (or let's say eating habits) are something that has to be adopted for life, not because 20lbs need to go in time for bikini season.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:59 pm

harryw wrote:
randomguy wrote:Isn't Michael Pollan making a pretty nice living off his advice?:)

It's not a diet plan, if that's what you're suggesting and it's more of an analysis than advice. But yes, authors of successful books tend to make money. I'm sure Mr. Bogle's books generated some good cash too.

Personally I think there is a lot of time wasted on the search for perfect in nutrition versus good enough. Go the USNews lists of diets and pick anything in the top 10 diets that fits your tastes and take your chances. It might not be perfect but like the 3 fund portfolio, it will probably be close enough.

Michael Pollan would definitely agree with that first sentence. Not so much with the second one - 'diets' in that sense are rather useless. For one, if they work for somebody it's because of the calorie restriction, not because of the components and more importantly good nutrition (or let's say eating habits) are something that has to be adopted for life, not because 20lbs need to go in time for bikini season.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." is a diet. A bit vague but it is still a diet The definition of diet is "the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats." Calorie restriction has nothing to do with a diet. The USNews rankings of diets makes that pretty clear by having different categories for weight loss and normal living.

westie

Post by westie » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:11 am

Remember in your 30's doing a physical chore for a few hours that you didn't ordinarily do and waking up the next day with muscle soreness?

In your 50's you wake up with muscle soreness and have to recall your activities from the day before to determine what you did for a brief period of time to have caused it.

Sophie Spence

Post by Sophie Spence » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:57 pm

A highly entertaining thread, OP -- thank you for starting it!

One point about turning 50 that has not been discussed is that many of our parents begin to face serious health issues such as stroke, dementia, or the loss of a spouse. They often require more and more assistance with their ADLs, and often will look to their adult children and their spouses to provide it. So now is the time to have those awkward discussions about finances, funeral arrangements, wills, powers of attorney, the pros and cons of assisted living vs in-home aides, etc. If you do not, you may find yourself at some point in the coming decade scrambling to make decisions for your parents (or other elderly relatives) without knowing what they would have wished you to do.

My husband and I are in our late 50s. Three of our parents have died during the last eight years, and two others are now in nursing homes. Only one is still living independently in reasonably good health. Many of our friends and extended family have had similar experiences.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:32 pm

mlebuf, that was awesome! Thanks for taking the time to compose that.

And thanks to everyone else as well.

As someone who will hit 50 in a few months, it's very timely for me, and I appreciate all the wisdom.
BH87

RapmasterD

Post by RapmasterD » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:35 pm

With a positive mindset, an appreciation for life, plenty of gratitude for what you have in life, and a desire to eat well and get regular physical activity...you can expect very good things. That's what I do. I turn 53 in exactly two months. I have hip pain from an over-use injury. I don't give a poo. I still jogged five miles this morning. ENJOY.

P.S. Yeah I drink too much. Oops!