Approaching 50...What to expect?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
john94549

Re: Approaching 50...What to expect?

Postby john94549 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:33 pm

At age 67 (pushing 68) it's totally weird. My bladder seems to be programmed. At 5 AM, give or take a couple of minutes, it "wakes me up" to go to the bathroom. Which I do, then go back to sleep. It's too funny.

Now, were I into day-trading, I'd fire up the computer, check the pre-market, and go for it.

Alas, as I am retired, I choose sleep.

dolphinsaremammals

Postby dolphinsaremammals » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:33 pm

Sophie Spence wrote:One point about turning 50 that has not been discussed is that many of our parents begin to face serious health issues such as stroke, dementia, or the loss of a spouse. They often require more and more assistance with their ADLs, and often will look to their adult children and their spouses to provide it. So now is the time to have those awkward discussions about finances, funeral arrangements, wills, powers of attorney, the pros and cons of assisted living vs in-home aides, etc. If you do not, you may find yourself at some point in the coming decade scrambling to make decisions for your parents (or other elderly relatives) without knowing what they would have wished you to do.

Those awkward discussions should happen much earlier and be revised as necessary as time goes on. I had my will, trust, POAs, arrangements for my pets, in place in my 30s. I didn't have enough going on in my universe to do it before then, but if I had I would have.

Bustoff

Postby Bustoff » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:49 pm

You will finally surrender to hair loss and cast out the temptation to begin corrective hair combing. I bought some barber clippers and cut my own hair now. I put the guard on the clippers and just start mowing -- which is exactly what the stylist at Great Clips was doing. It finally occurred to me that I can do that myself.

As with your investments you don't want to over engineer your hair.

Last edited by Bustoff on Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rodc

Postby Rodc » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:51 pm

Learn to adapt. It's a very underrated skill. As we get older we no longer have physical abilities and the memory we once had. Know your limitations and live within them. We know a couple about our age who decided to go ice skating a few weeks ago after not having done it for decades. The man fell on the ice, broke his hip, and is back in the hospital for more surgery due to major complications. It's been a lot of pain, suffering and expense and all of it could have been avoided. The late Peter Bernstein when writing about investing wrote, "Risk is about the consequences of being wrong." It's a great statement about taking any kind of risk. When the downside of a risk is very bad, don't go there.

This is a tough one. On the one hand likelihood of accidents goes up as does healing time. But also the less you do the less you can do. In this case perhaps they really should not have been ice skating at their age, they were after all some 20 odd years older than the person asking in this thread. But it is a delicate balancing act of not doing enough vs doing too much.

I note I took my father hiking in the outback of Nevada, hiking slot canyons in his mid 70s and it was a time we both treasured.

I am now closing in on 60, and I still teach ice and rock climbing, ski, run forest trails. Going climbing tomorrow. It would have been a waste of potential great times to say well, gee I'm 50, think I'll just restrict myself to walking around town on nice days. In fact I stopped climbing in my earlier 30s for hiking and backpacking and running because it was clear I had topped out. I started again by doing a great 2000 ft technical climb to just below 14,000 ft for my 50th birthday (trained hard for 9 months). I can't climb like when I was 25, but not all that far behind, much to my surprise.

I don't know just how to rationally make the balance, because I do agree that not taking on too much risk makes sense. But part me says, gee 50 is not that old... :)
Last edited by Rodc on Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

DonCamillo

Postby DonCamillo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:17 pm

Toons wrote:
dolphinsaremammals wrote:Sooner or later your health will start going. Do the things you need good health for now.

+1.
True Words.Do not say to your spouse "We will wait and do that next year". :happy

The jogging, 5Ks and 10Ks, bike races and triathlons I did in my 40s and 50s are really starting to pay off now that I am approaching 70 and can only walk for exercise. Yes, they damaged my knees, but I can pass for ten years younger than I am.
Les vieillards aiment à donner de bons préceptes, pour se consoler de n'être plus en état de donner de mauvais exemples. | (François, duc de La Rochefoucauld, maxim 93)

Kennedy

Postby Kennedy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:10 pm

Fifty is the age at which life stops giving and starts taking away.

saladdin

Postby saladdin » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:33 am

Hayden wrote:My memory is shot. As a teenager and in my 20s, I could remember anything I read. Not anymore.

I'm surprised others haven't mentioned this. Is it just me?

They did, you forgot.

stedmakr

Postby stedmakr » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:46 pm

I just turned 60. At 50 you have to make a concerted effort to take care of yourself, be especially careful about how much you put in your mouth. I'f you've been active be careful about your joints. The biggest mistake I made was to continue to run after 50. Before its all over I'll need new knees. Eyes and memory both begin to go.

In our family, the 50s were the years where our kids moved out of our daily life. Invest more in your marriage and develop/enhance a circle of friends.

Financially, I think the 50s are the make or break decade. It may be the last chance to set yourself for retirement.

Final thought is the realization that you aren't immortal or invincible. There are things that you can't do physically anymore and you will encounter more and more of your friends that either have major health problems or pass away unexpectedly.

BogleFanGal

Postby BogleFanGal » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:34 pm

I caught this older thread and really thought it contained wonderful insights and advice, but since the original OP was male, wondering if anyone would like to chime in from the female point of view?

To me, the transition from '40s to '50s is far more challenging for women- and it feels discouraging at times. Society is way more accepting and respectful of aging men than aging women. Any ladies care to share tips from the female side that helped them or insight they gained in that decade? :wink:

rgs92

Postby rgs92 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:40 pm

50 is the new 35 circa 1960.
This assumes you don't smoke.

srt7

Postby srt7 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:59 pm

invst65 wrote:I've always said that when you turn 40 you start joking about getting old. When you turn 50 you joke a little more, but it's when you turn 60 that you finally start to realize it ain't no joke.

So enjoy the decade.

As someone in his early 40s who thinks he's old with all the good years behind him ... I cannot begin to thank you for this :sharebeer

goblue100

Postby goblue100 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:46 pm

srt7 wrote:
invst65 wrote:I've always said that when you turn 40 you start joking about getting old. When you turn 50 you joke a little more, but it's when you turn 60 that you finally start to realize it ain't no joke.

So enjoy the decade.

As someone in his early 40s who thinks he's old with all the good years behind him ... I cannot begin to thank you for this :sharebeer

Don't be old before your time. You aren't close to old. I'm 56. I stopped smoking at 47 and started riding a bike at 49. Last year I rode the Triple Bypass in Colorado. 120 miles and 11 thousand feet of climbing. I didn't ride it fast, but I made it! :)
My point is, you're never too old to start something new.
I agree with everyone who said to pick up some form of movement / exercise and mental stimulation. The phrase if you don't use it, you lose it becomes truer and truer.
Some people are immune to good advice. - Saul Goodman

boglegirl

Postby boglegirl » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:20 pm

BogleFanGal wrote:I caught this older thread and really thought it contained wonderful insights and advice, but since the original OP was male, wondering if anyone would like to chime in from the female point of view?

To me, the transition from '40s to '50s is far more challenging for women- and it feels discouraging at times. Society is way more accepting and respectful of aging men than aging women. Any ladies care to share tips from the female side that helped them or insight they gained in that decade? :wink:

Most of the advice already given on this thread applies to women, of course...eat right, exercise, enjoy life, etc. But you're right, we have a societal double-standard as far as the physical aspects of aging for women vs. men. My husband's gray-around-the-temples is distinguished, mine is horrifying! :shock: On the one hand, now that I've entered my 50s, I don't care what anybody except my husband thinks about how I look. On the other hand...I care about how I look because my husband cares! So as far as the physical appearance goes, here are my goals:
1. Stay height/weight proportionate.
2. Keep my hair long
3. For my skin: I don't smoke, don't tan, and use BHA and AHA products on my face regularly.
I'm not willing to do Botox or fillers or anything along those lines, but I really think the above items help me look younger without looking like I'm too desperately trying to hold onto lost youth.

I'm not sure about your career status, but I'm in a situation that I'm sure many women are in: I decided to stay home with the kids after a short-ish career, but when the kids went to college, we decided that I'd continue to stay home instead of re-starting my career. Meanwhile, my husband is still a few years from retirement. So I have to work at it to stay mentally & socially active, too. I did a 2-year volunteer commitment that required a lot of time and energy, although I'm taking a break from that. I've taken a ton of random college-level classes for fun and edification: foreign language, art history, world history, floral design, first aid/health/CPR. I travel more. Attend more sporting events. Attend a book club and one of the wine & paint night groups. I write letters and cards (but sadly don't receive as many back...). I'm the first person to sign up to take a meal to a sick family - when I was younger and had to worry about feeding my own family, delivering dinner to someone else was too stressful for me. Most of this is stuff I didn't have the time or freedom to do when I was raising kids.

Let's not get started on the lousy hormonal aspects of getting older...that's for a whole 'nother forum. :shock:

Anyway, all that to say, I'm fairly new to the 50s, but I'm looking forward to what the whole decade will bring! What about you, BogleFanGal, or any other women want to chime in?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:52 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (topic exhausted). See: Personal Consumer Issues

This subforum is focused on making informed decisions about consumer goods and services (other than investing or financial).

Acceptable topics include:

- consumer goods and services (e.g., dress shirts, laptops, software)
- home maintenance
- vehicle purchases and maintenance
- leisure and recreational activities: travel, sports, entertainment

Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be locked or removed.

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.

Update: I removed an off-topic post containing sexist remarks (stereotypical behavior regarding women over 50) and a reply. As a reminder, see: General Etiquette

-avoid profanities, obscenities, lewd and otherwise offensive words and remarks

(Thread remains locked.)
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”