3 must have car safety/'Convenience safety' features

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Pick you 3 car safety/'Convenience safety' features

Poll ended at Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:24 pm

Backup camera
20%
Hands free talk
11%
Navigation
8%
Blind spot monitor
16%
Cruise control with only braking?slow down based on front car
2%
Cruise control that can curve along the road but no braking
1%
Forward collision avoidance system(city braking, regular etc., )
6%
Parking assist
2%
Additional air bags - side, knee, seat side etc.,
25%
Pedestrian/Bicycle warning systems
2%
Adaptive high beam/light control
1%
Automotive night vision camera
No votes
Crosswind stabilization system
1%
Lane departure warning system
5%

Total votes: 169

ray.james

3 must have car safety/'Convenience safety' features

Post by ray.james » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:24 pm

The poll goal is to see what people perceive as most important for safety. Some of the choices like crosswind stabilization or pedestrian alert are only in 1/2 vehicles today. I thought of adding all wheel drive, but decided that will sway snow areas from sunny areas. There are other features that have similar bias that in smaller extent. You can pick your vote for 3 of these features that are on top of your list for your personal safety/safe driving on road.

I assumed ABS and ESC or its variants are now available on very vehicle and so did not add these. IMO these are a must, but people can disagree.

This is first time poll, so if any formatting issues arise, let me know and I will correct them. Thanks for your vote.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939

FRANK2009

Re: 3 must have car safety/'Convenience safety' features

Post by FRANK2009 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:39 pm

I didn't vote for any of these. Sensible driving, good brakes and tires are far more important imo.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:55 pm

Do folks actually drive in the blind spot of other drivers? I don't and I've taught my kids not to drive in another driver's blind spot. Or worse: switch lanes into another driver's blind spot.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:56 pm

I'm with Frank on this. I don't consider any of those as "must have".

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:30 pm

I wouldn't voluntarily spend money for any of those.
BH87

ray.james

Post by ray.james » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:15 pm

FRANK2009 wrote:I didn't vote for any of these. Sensible driving, good brakes and tires are far more important imo.

I am not undermining any of it. The poll is trying to see the new features that car makers are running after and what people would value. Should have mentioned it as new features coming to market in the opening.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939

August

Post by August » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:38 pm

I voted for a back up camera but truly prefer the around view cameras that are out now. That and the blind spot warning have saved me on more than one occasion. (While I try to avoid driving in other's blind spots I don't assume they will do the same).

novicemoney

Post by novicemoney » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:43 pm

I voted for the backup camera since i drive a prius hatchback. One of the bad things of this otherwise very good car is (in my opinion) very bad rear view vision when backing up. You still have to be careful but the backup camera gives a little extra vision. IMHO I think on this car the camera should be standard.

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:47 am

I voted only for additional air bags as it's the only one up there that I feel has any value (side impact in particular). The rest are just crutches for poor/lazy drivers. It's no wonder there's all this recent talk about self-driving cars, if people are really wanting and willing to pay for all these 'safety' doodads.

ginmqi

Post by ginmqi » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:22 am

I'd like to add one to this list: breathalyzer ignition lock in all cars. May help reduce some drunk driving.

msi

Post by msi » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:06 am

Hands free talk is a must have for me. It's actually illegal here to talk on a cell phone while driving.

sambb

Post by sambb » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:26 am

only 3 options is far to few for my opinions. Several more have saved me from accidents. This can prevent liability and injury. I consider those to be valuable. Looking at the BH net worth study, i think that it is ironic that there are several with high net worth, who might drive a 10 year old camry. Cant take the money with you after the grave. For me, the safety features have changed my life by preventing several accidents and probably liability. Wont live without them. Several will be standard on cars in the future. Just an opinion.

acanthurus

Post by acanthurus » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:45 am

Removed
Last edited by acanthurus on Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:31 am

msi wrote:Hands free talk is a must have for me. It's actually illegal here to talk on a cell phone while driving.

Hands free talking reduces safety. It is the talking on the phone part that is really unsafe. The holding the phone is pretty minor compared to that.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:34 am

livesoft wrote:Do folks actually drive in the blind spot of other drivers? I don't and I've taught my kids not to drive in another driver's blind spot. Or worse: switch lanes into another driver's blind spot.

I drive perfectly. It is all the other people out there that I worry about. :) Some of this stuff depends on the car. I don't need parking sensors in a civic. In something like a excursion, they are usefull.

Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:42 am

Well, we live in Michigan... A must have is heated seats....

Just my $0.02....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:56 am

randomguy wrote:
msi wrote:Hands free talk is a must have for me. It's actually illegal here to talk on a cell phone while driving.

Hands free talking reduces safety. It is the talking on the phone part that is really unsafe. The holding the phone is pretty minor compared to that.

+1. Hands-free doesn't make it safer, just less likely that you will get a ticket.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:32 am

Backup cameras are scheduled to be required in a few years.

Forward collision avoidance and adaptive headlights are measurably reducing insurance losses.

Commenting on the OP, ABS has a small impact on safety reflected in the fact that it was not mandated for decades. It's standard on all cars now just because the actuators are required for ESC and because the NHTSA finally decided ABS was not doing more harm than good.
Last edited by tadamsmar on Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:58 am

I voted for the backup camera, navigation and additional airbags but like others said, I wouldn't spend additional money for any of them. I still drive my 18 year old manual transmission civic that I paid $11,500 cash for new and don't plan to trade it anytime soon.

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:29 am

tadamsmar wrote:Forward collision avoidance and adaptive headlights are measurably reducing insurance losses.

Actually the poll is a bit confusing. It lists "Adaptive highbeam/light control" which is apparently not the same as adaptive headlights that turn with the steering wheel.

IIHS ranks adaptive headlights higher than many of the features on this poll because they have been shown to reduce insurance losses. Given the history of ABS, I think it's a good idea to be skeptical about something that seems to be a safety feature until it pans out in the field data.
Last edited by tadamsmar on Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

mbk734

Post by mbk734 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:39 am

Electronic stability control is the #1 feature, all wheel drive is also great for snow (snow tires are even better), and anti lock brakes are huge. Automatic braking to avoid a crash is a useful feature as long as it works correctly, although a defensive driving course and being an alert driver is probably more valuable. I wouldn't want my smart car to get a virus and slam on the brakes on the highway during rush hour :shock:

Lane departure warnings and blind spot monitors are nice but you should always be an alert driver. A feature I would like to see is a sharp shock delivered to your butt if your car senses that you are sleeping at the wheel. Another idea for one is the car won't start at all if you have alcohol above the legal limit in your system. (Repeat drunk drivers have breathalyzers to start their car)

The backup camera is great for parallel parking or backing out in a parking lot, although I wish that I had the overhead view and the beep warning if a car is coming from the side as well as sensors that beep when you are getting close to something and showing on the screen where the object is in red.

More airbags are great as long as they're not like the ones made by Takata that shoot out shrapnel.
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:19 am

I notice that side air bags (SAB) are the most popular feature according to the poll. They probably save more lives than the other features in the poll, 1000 lives per year based on current estimates.

But they can be dangerous for children and the safety guidelines for SABs are voluntary so buyer beware. Safecar.gov and other websites recommend that you carefully read the details of the crash tests reports concerning SABs so that you will know what you are getting.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:26 am

mbk734 wrote:A feature I would like to see is a sharp shock delivered to your butt if your car senses that you are sleeping at the wheel.

Mercedes has that: http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/benz/safety#module-3 .

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:22 pm

I didn't actually vote, but will comment here:

>>Backup camera
High priority for our minivan, for which the rear visibility aside from the backup camera is poor. Lower priority for sedan-like vehicles with better rear visibility. In general, with more SUVs and trucks out there, plus minivans (a category in decline, I think) and the trend towards high belt lines even on sedans, this is important for a lot of vehicles.

>>Hands free talk
Meh - when our minivan gets an inbound call that automatically routs through this kind of system, it freaks me out. The main issue with a driver using a cell phone is NOT a hand being tied up. That said, I'm not perfect on this score.

>>Navigation
Mainly convenience not safety related. Still very much a nice to have.

>>Blind spot monitor
Have this on our minivan. Kinda like it, but not 100% sure if it really increases safety (as opposed to lulling the driver into relying on the light and not their own observations.)

>>Cruise control with only braking?slow down based on front car
I don't like cruise control in general, so moot for me. Is it really so hard to keep your foot on the gas and adjust as needed?

>>Cruise control that can curve along the road but no braking
See above.

>>Forward collision avoidance system(city braking, regular etc., )
This one seems like it could be a big win, if it works well. Haven't had a chance to play with one of these.

>>Parking assist
Meh. I don't love parallel parking, but I can do it when need be (which isn't often, as we live in the 'burbs). Convenience feature, not safety feature (barring the minor damage that can occur with a botched parallel parking attempt).

>>Additional air bags - side, knee, seat side etc.,
Big. High value in my opinion.

>>Pedestrian/Bicycle warning systems
I'm not entirely sure what these are. In any case, in the 'burbs by us, there are few cyclists or pedestrians on/crossing the roads.

>>Adaptive high beam/light control
One of my vehicles has headlights that are really ineffective. I'm not quite sure what this is or how much it would help, but I'd be at least interested.

>>Automotive night vision camera
Hmm - not sure how this would work...

>>Crosswind stabilization system
Not sure how this would work. With today's heavier vehicles, that also tend to be somewhat aerodynamic (perhaps not so much from the side profile), I doubt this is as important.

>>Lane departure warning system
I question whether this would work really well. Given the many different ways in which lane striping is done, the different conditions of the lane stripes (i.e. faded, obscured by rain, old stripes pained over incompletely, etc), I suspect there would be a lot of false positives and negatives with these systems.

telemark

Post by telemark » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:41 pm

I don't have any of those, from which it can be inferred that I don't regard them as necessities. Blind spot detection would be nice to have, but the instructions given at http://www.cartalk.com/content/avoiding-blind-spot-5 go a long way to reduce the problem.
livesoft wrote:Do folks actually drive in the blind spot of other drivers?

I notice it all the time, even in very light traffic.

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:06 pm

Rattlesnake wrote:Well, we live in Michigan... A must have is heated seats....

Just my $0.02....

+1, along with remote start & 4WD.

Honestly, not to pick on the OP, but I think he's really asking about newer & OPTIONAL safety features. My top safety features would be brakes, headlights, brake lights, a full frame, & a seat belt.

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:25 pm

killjoy2012 wrote:
Rattlesnake wrote:Well, we live in Michigan... A must have is heated seats....

Just my $0.02....

+1, along with remote start & 4WD.

Honestly, not to pick on the OP, but I think he's really asking about newer & OPTIONAL safety features. My top safety features would be brakes, headlights, brake lights, a full frame, & a seat belt.

Yeah, heated seats are not a safety feature. Personally, I will never buy another car that does not have a rear camera. Also, my Leaf has a front camera. It's not really for safety but it is really good for pulling into spaces/garages. If it doesn't cost me an arm/leg, all of my future cars will have this feature as well.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:44 pm

Where's the "none of the above" choice? I bet it would win if offered. I wish they would get rid of the tire pressure sensors so i would not have to stare at the yellow light all winter with my aftermarket wheels and snow tires. No, I won's spend more for those stupid sensors when I but the wheel/tire package
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

MnD

Post by MnD » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:27 pm

My 2005 Tacoma has none of these and our 2010 Altima has one (multiple side and rear air bags).
So absent a none of the above choice, I selected only the multiple air bag option.
Some of these are on renntal cars now and seem like a nuisance.

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:31 pm

I'm not sure any of those are really "must have", though depending on just what you mean perhaps extra airbags.

Some of those do make the nice to have list.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:32 pm

psteinx wrote:>>Parking assist
Meh. I don't love parallel parking, but I can do it when need be (which isn't often, as we live in the 'burbs). Convenience feature, not safety feature (barring the minor damage that can occur with a botched parallel parking attempt).

Parking assist on my car is just that the bumpers have sensors in them, so that if any sensor gets close to an object, the car beeps. The closer the object, then the faster the beeping until it is a steady alarm. It can be turned off. Parking assist is not driving/steering the car for you into a parking spot.

While parking assist is not much of a human safety thing, I think I want at least all the other cars to have it, so that people do not ding and bump into my car when parking. It does not help with doors opening into other cars either.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

msi

Post by msi » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:06 am

randomguy wrote:

Yeah, I live dangerous with my hands-free bluetooth.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:02 am

livesoft wrote:Do folks actually drive in the blind spot of other drivers? I don't and I've taught my kids not to drive in another driver's blind spot. Or worse: switch lanes into another driver's blind spot.

I find the blind-spot monitor quite helpful because there are drivers who do switch lanes into other's blind spots! Usually it is the lane hoppers who dart in and out of lanes to gain a one car advantage during semi-rush hour traffic (where speeds are well under the speed limit but not stop and start) :annoyed. I try to stay in a middle lane to not impede people entering the freeway, but that makes it challenging to get over into the right lane when it is time to exit.

The one safety feature I don't see on the list that I really like is the cross-traffic monitor. This alerts you to cars (or people) behind you when you are backing out of a parking space. Since I often return to the parking lot to find my car (a sedan) boxed in by 2 much larger SUVS, this has saved me multiple times when cars fly through the parking lot.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:15 am

msi wrote:
randomguy wrote:

Yeah, I live dangerous with my hands-free bluetooth.

Doubling your chance of being in an accident (studies vary from 2-5x) is adding more risk than any of these technologies remove.

davebarnes

Re: 3 must have car features

Post by davebarnes » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:28 am

heated leather seats
radio - FM
what else is there?
A nerd living in Denver

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:02 pm

FRANK2009 wrote:I didn't vote for any of these. Sensible driving, good brakes and tires are far more important imo.

+1 sometimes it scares me that there are all these automatic controls. between product failure and computer failure (hacking?) and laziness as automated essential actions possibly make us less cautious drivers there is much that can go wrong. aids like back up assists giving more visibility or in my case, audible warning on a '08 Maxima, are more than a convenience.
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

hudson

Post by hudson » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:09 pm

ray.james wrote:The poll goal is to see what people perceive as most important for safety. Some of the choices like crosswind stabilization or pedestrian alert are only in 1/2 vehicles today. I thought of adding all wheel drive, but decided that will sway snow areas from sunny areas. There are other features that have similar bias that in smaller extent. You can pick your vote for 3 of these features that are on top of your list for your personal safety/safe driving on road.

I assumed ABS and ESC or its variants are now available on very vehicle and so did not add these. IMO these are a must, but people can disagree.

This is first time poll, so if any formatting issues arise, let me know and I will correct them. Thanks for your vote.

I agree with ABS, additional air bags, and ESC.
Backup Camera...yes especially with a full sized truck....I plan to add a backup camera to my wife's car.
I like the night vision...deer spotter device...can you get one with a backup camera?
I like the blind spot warning...and the other parking sensors...even though I use the "new" system of tilting the side mirrors outward.
The last time I purchased a vehicle, ABS, lots of air bags, ESC, and the backup camera were standard. To get those other features, you had to upgrade to the next level of vehicle at too much of a cost for me.

Here's an article from Australia on the newer safety features... http://www.howsafeisyourcar.com.au/Safe ... ures-List/