cvt transmissions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sarahjane

cvt transmissions

Post by sarahjane » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:49 pm

Looking at cars many of which have cvt rather than standard transmissions. I'd like to hear from those who have experience with cvts.

livesoft

Re: cvt transmissions

Post by livesoft » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:01 pm

My spouse has a 2006 ford with cvt. It has had no work done on the transmission. The car is a piece of s..t.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

MoneyIsntEverything

Post by MoneyIsntEverything » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:17 pm

Deleted
Last edited by MoneyIsntEverything on Wed May 17, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:28 pm

The Nissan CVTs feel a bit weird still to those used to a conventional automatic. I haven't really noticed anything unusual with other brands. Then again, I hate all automatics.

saltycaper

Post by saltycaper » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:29 pm

There's a CVT in my Subaru. Nice and smooth. I don't find that acceleration lags. No problems so far, but it's only a couple years old.

There's a manual mode with paddle shifters on the steering wheel. Rarely use them though.

You say rather than "standard transmissions." I assume you mean standard automatic transmission and not standard as in manual because if it's the later, then you'd be disappointed. :happy
Quod vitae sectabor iter?

Traveller

Post by Traveller » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:35 pm

I drive a Ford Fusion hybrid with a CVT transmission. So far, it's been awesome! And that is after 125,000 miles.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:39 pm

I haven't seen any reports that say CVTs are any more reliable or any less reliable than standard automatics. There will be reliable examples of CVTs and unreliable ones. Contrary to car reviewers, I very much prefer the linear power delivery of CVTs. I like how the power is constant as I climb a hill instead of constantly hunting for the correct gear on like a Corolla. Or even worse some automatics have a smart hold feature that holds a lower gear like a Civc causing the engine to scream the whole way up and if you let go of the accelerator, the vehicles slows down noticeably. Instead, my Prius, not a true CVT but mimics a CVT will keep the engine at the correct power band to maintain the climb. CVTs als get better fuel economy. All wins in my book.

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:42 pm

Better mileage
Better acceleration
Long term reliability? Well the Prius has been CVT from the very beginning and has a good track record for its transmission

A different feel from a conventional automatic transmission that some people find hard to get used to

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:46 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (CVT transmissions).

My husband first had a 2003 Nissan Murano, the year CVT transmissions first came out (or close to it). Then, he got a 2007 Murano. There's been no problems with any vehicle due to the CVT.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:18 am

I'm pretty content with CVT transmissions. The one in our Nissan Sentra has been trouble-free for 95000 miles. We bought another Nissan recently also with CVT. I find the cvt pretty responsive, but it does have a slightly different driving feel when compared to the older 4/5 speed automatics.

I still like the 5-speed manual on my BMW, but the heavy clutch gets old in commute traffic, so I've mostly been driving one of the cvt cars for daily use.

henry

Post by henry » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:42 am

I have a 2003 Nissan Murano SUV that I owned since new. I believe it was Nissan's first car to have a CVT. Have driven about 93000 miles and no transmission reliability issues.

TT

Post by TT » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:53 am

Hospital Volunteer Subaru Outback with CVT -
178,000 miles no repairs just one fluid change to date.

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:05 am

2015 Honda Crv-I noticed the difference as soon as I drove it,excellent acceleration,did not miss the "gear shift" feel. :happy

http://world.honda.com/automobile-technology/CVT/
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

johnubc

Post by johnubc » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:21 am

+1 on a CVT transmission with high miles and no problems.

I think when auto mechanics, like other professionals, do not like something new - part of it is the newness and needing to learn about it. Anecdotal opinions of how they feel. The first CVT car comes in with a problem and they say - Every car I see with a CVT has a transmission problem and it was a bear to fix. Meanwhile it was the first and the time to fix it included the newness and learning process of something new. Very similar to some saying that their brokers higher cost S&P 500 fund is better than Vanguards S&P 500 fund.

jchris

Post by jchris » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:58 am

I have a 2009 Nissan Sentra with CVT and have had no problems with it at all. Only issue is some of the normal service intervals seemed more expensive than I expected and the dealership said it was because of whatever normal CVT service they did was more involved. But it has been very reliable and gets good mileage.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:59 am

livesoft wrote:My spouse has a 2006 ford with cvt. It has had no work done on the transmission. The car is a piece of s..t.
:P You've made it very well known over time that you hate that Taurus.

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:32 am

I have a newer Nissan Maxima with a CVT, it's the first car I've owned that wasn't a stick shift.

Never having owned an automatic, I don't know what a traditional automatic is supposed to feel like. To me, the the CVT is great and paired with a V6 is pretty nice. I hated getting away from stick shifts, but my wife doesn't drive them and we wanted a family sedan we could take on family vacations with both parties comfortable driving.

I've got about 22000 miles on mine with no issues.

orlandoman

Post by orlandoman » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:33 am

Have a 2014 Subaru Forester with CVT and happy with it.
"Not everything you read on the Internet is true", Abraham Lincoln

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:46 am

Has anybody noticed that they get less engine breaking with a CVT when they take their foot off the accelerator pedal?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

John Z

Post by John Z » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:07 am

livesoft wrote:Has anybody noticed that they get less engine breaking with a CVT when they take their foot off the accelerator pedal?
I was just about to add that my Nissan CVT nearly feels like a standard when foot is off the gas. It slows down nicely without having to use brakes until the very end of stopping much like a standard does and no braking needed on small grade hills. And we do love the lack of shifting feel that autos give.
John

PowDay

Post by PowDay » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:20 am

They have gotten much better, I've learned to really enjoy the one in my 2015 Subaru, but never cared for the CVT in the 2007 Nissan we had.

tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:26 am

I have a 2011 Subaru (Pleiades) Outback w CVT, with 52k miles on it now.

1. It took some getting used to because the relationship between engine speed and car speed is not the same. In all my previous cars, once I was on a freeway (in the highest manual or AT gear) I could "feel" what speed I was going by the pitch of the engine and associated vibrations. The CVT does not keep a steady RPM in the same way. I got used to it.

2. I drive down Mt Baker most Sundays: about 4000' descent over 5 miles. There is little engine breaking unless I use the paddle shifters to force it into a lower "gear" range.

3. In deep snow, mud, etc., the CVT meshes well with the Subaru AWD system. I have not succeeded in getting this car stuck, and I've tried...
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:28 am

No complaints from me, 2011 Nissan Altima V6 with 55k miles on it. Artificial engine braking around the 20-30mph range is a bit high but thats not a huge deal.

conroy

Post by conroy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:30 am

MoneyIsntEverything wrote:Two separate mechanics have advised us to avoid buying cars with CVTs. I think the hesitation is due to the higher failure rate of the earlier CVT cars (especially Nissan/Infiniti). No one can say for sure what the long-term reliability of the newest CVTs will be, but it is getting harder to find conventional automatics in commuter cars (4-cylinder models of Civic, Accord, Corolla, for example, although it looks like the Camry still has a conventional automatic). The shift away from conventional automatics is mostly to help boost gas mileage.
That's funny, two mechanics have to me raved about CVT Subarus and their reliability. I ended up getting one in 2013 (it was a close call between the Legacy and a Mazda 6) and have been very happy with it.
livesoft wrote:Has anybody noticed that they get less engine braking with a CVT when they take their foot off the accelerator pedal?
I noticed this, but my 2013 Legacy also has manual shifting paddles, so you can downshift to get engine braking. No idea whether this is bad for the transmission, but I use it

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:47 am

livesoft wrote:Has anybody noticed that they get less engine breaking with a CVT when they take their foot off the accelerator pedal?

Quite the contrary - Nissan Sentra has incredible "cvt braking" - I've read they even cut the gas flow completely under those conditions which would make sense. My kids 2008 Sentra needed the cvt replacing after 65k miles when it started emitting a high pitched whine which Nissan did free of charge under the 120k/10yr extended warranty that applies to most Nissan cvt's.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:50 am

jchris wrote:I have a 2009 Nissan Sentra with CVT and have had no problems with it at all. Only issue is some of the normal service intervals seemed more expensive than I expected and the dealership said it was because of whatever normal CVT service they did was more involved. But it has been very reliable and gets good mileage.

The cvt is sealed so there is no "normal service". I think they suggest fluid change after 100k.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:04 am

no issues with mine. i'd pick the car i wanted with no weight given to the type of auto tranny.

Z9yajAg

Post by Z9yajAg » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:42 am

Advantages are better fuel economy, no lurch when shifting, and no gear hunting going uphill. My engine spends a lot of time running around 1200 to 1500 RPM, which is probably easier on the engine. There are disadvantages, though.

* A bit of noise. My CVT produces a soft whir/whine all the time. Subtle, but always there.
* No towing. With a traditional automatic transmission, my vehicle would have a built-in tow receiver and be rated for 5000 pounds. With the CVT, towing is prohibited.
* There is no "snappy" mode. Using paddles with a traditional automatic, you can set things so the car jumps when you goose the accelerator. Even with paddles, the CVT still seems to spool up the engine to apply power, and you lose the "jump".

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:49 am

Traded a 2010 Corolla with the old style transmission for a 2014 with a CVT. The CVT is great. No noticeable downside whatsoever but a 10%ish fuel economy boost.

tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:09 pm

Z9yajAg wrote:Advantages are better fuel economy, no lurch when shifting, and no gear hunting going uphill. My engine spends a lot of time running around 1200 to 1500 RPM, which is probably easier on the engine. There are disadvantages, though.

* No towing. With a traditional automatic transmission, my vehicle would have a built-in tow receiver and be rated for 5000 pounds. With the CVT, towing is prohibited.
The Subaru CVT allows towing. For the Outback with the 2.5 it's 2700 pounds (less if the trailer does not have brakes).
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister

targ

Post by targ » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:18 pm

My first hand experience with CVTs ended with a childhood go-kart.

Since then, I've ridden in a few cars with CVTs and the ugh factor is still there just like the go-kart.

I definitely won't be buying a car with a go-kart transmission until it is the only choice (which probably won't be too far off the way things are going).
The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ

WormWood

Post by WormWood » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:39 pm

Wife's 2013 (or is it '14....) Accord has one.

Absolutely seemless.

She has no idea it's there.

37,000 miles, car is perfect.

32.7 MPG with her not trying.

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:13 pm

My Ford C-Max has an eCVT, the first car I've had with a CVT, and I absolutely love it, and hope every future car I buy has one (and will shop accordingly). I now consider normal automatics, with their 4-10 gears, ridiculous prior-century relics.

The eCVT:
More precisely the eCVT transmission is a Power Split Device transmission, using just one single planetary differential gearset to combine the power from two electric motors and one gasoline engine.

It is an excellent transmission system because mechanically it is so simple. One single planetary gearset, no gear-shifting wear-and-tear, no clutch, no hot-running torque converter, no regular-CVT friction belts.
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 355AAVkfa5
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 12-time loser

dillrob

Post by dillrob » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:27 pm

About four years ago Nissan automatically extended CVT warranties from 5 years/60,000 miles to 10 years/120,000 due to issues with some early CVTs (primarily Murano) and the negative perceptive these issues were creating. They even reimbursed repair costs in the thousands that people paid out of their pocket.

I have a 2009 Rogue with a CVT and it is a bit different. It has a vibration at low RPMs and isn't as responsive as other automatics. I understand that newer CVTs don't exhibit these characteristics as much. I did have to have the differential repaired (under warranty) but the CVT has been trouble free so far (56,000 miles).

I would have no problem getting another vehicle with a CVT.

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:33 pm

WormWood wrote:Wife's 2013 (or is it '14....) Accord has one.

Absolutely seemless.

She has no idea it's there.

37,000 miles, car is perfect.

32.7 MPG with her not trying.

+1.,,Good Deal :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

derosa

Post by derosa » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:21 pm

Bought an accord last year with cvt. Liftime warranty on the powertrain with $100 deductible. that is my liftime as long as i own the car. If the manufacturer and dealer are going to support that they are not anticipating any problems.

I have had no problems - not sure what the problems would be with an automatic transmission. Frankly don't even notice it and don't care. There is no clunking shifting up or down of course. I would be willing to be that most drives wouldn't know what they were using if they weren't told.

I mean what difference does an electronic power steering system make? The car turns.

CaliJim

Post by CaliJim » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:24 pm

I own a 2006 Nissan Murano with a CVT w/ 90k miles. Very reliable. I like it.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:03 pm

BigFoot48 wrote:
More precisely the eCVT transmission is ... an excellent transmission system because mechanically it is so simple. One single planetary gearset, no gear-shifting wear-and-tear, no clutch, no hot-running torque converter, no regular-CVT friction belts.
Yeah, but there's probably some MOSFETs at close to TJMax. :)

scouter

Post by scouter » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:43 pm

BigFoot48 wrote:My Ford C-Max has an eCVT, the first car I've had with a CVT, and I absolutely love it, and hope every future car I buy has one (and will shop accordingly). I now consider normal automatics, with their 4-10 gears, ridiculous prior-century relics.

The eCVT:
More precisely the eCVT transmission is a Power Split Device transmission, using just one single planetary differential gearset to combine the power from two electric motors and one gasoline engine.

It is an excellent transmission system because mechanically it is so simple. One single planetary gearset, no gear-shifting wear-and-tear, no clutch, no hot-running torque converter, no regular-CVT friction belts.
The Prius also uses a Power Split Device and it's proven to be very reliable over the fifteen years they've been in production.

fire5soon

Post by fire5soon » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:10 pm

Wife's car had a bearing go in her CVT and had to have the entire transmission replaced after only 44k miles. Luckily we have a lifetime powertrain warranty and paid $0 out of pocket. I don't drive the car much but I don't like the feel of it. It feels like the car is revving too high all of the time.
A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do. - Bob Dylan

NaOH

Post by NaOH » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:01 pm

They're okay, I guess. Not sporty at all.
Fine for a beige transportation appliance.
"Are you flying? Or are you simply floating?"

robertalpert

Post by robertalpert » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:52 pm

fire5soon wrote:Wife's car had a bearing go in her CVT and had to have the entire transmission replaced after only 44k miles. Luckily we have a lifetime powertrain warranty and paid $0 out of pocket. I don't drive the car much but I don't like the feel of it. It feels like the car is revving too high all of the time.

What kind & year of car is it? Is the lifetime powertrain warranty from the manufacturer; the dealer; or a purchased extended warranty?

homermtb

Post by homermtb » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:23 am

2006 nissan murano here. I 've had multiple issues with the cvt that Nissan wouldn't cover. Total lemon. The issues started at around 40-60k miles. I'm at 110k miles and praying I get another 20k.

dillrob

Post by dillrob » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:23 am

homermtb wrote:2006 nissan murano here. I 've had multiple issues with the cvt that Nissan wouldn't cover. Total lemon. The issues started at around 40-60k miles. I'm at 110k miles and praying I get another 20k.
You should get your car to Nissan ASAP since the extended 10 year/120,000 warranty expires soon for you. I had a friend who paid for a new Murano CVT out of pocket and got reimbursed by Nissan. If the issues are performance related (i.e., you don't like the feel or responsiveness) then they probably won' t cover it. If it is actually defective they should cover it and I'd make another run at them and escalate if it is defective.

Trice

Post by Trice » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:36 am

I have a nearly two-year old 2013 Honda Accord with a CVT. Although CVTs don't have the track record of traditional transmissions, I recall being told at the time that CVTs have far fewer moving parts, which would suggest the potential for fewer future problems.

Mine has nearly 31K miles and has gone smoothly so far. As others have stated, there is no noticeable gear shifting, either audibly or by feel. The one trait I have noticed is that once I start the car, I need to give it maybe 10 seconds before putting it in gear (either forward or reverse). If I don't wait, as it's almost as if the transmission can't get traction and the car feels underpowered, even if I hit the gas. Once a few seconds have passed, it's fine.

But so far, so good for me.

cjking

Post by cjking » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:00 pm

I'm interested to see that there are so many CVT's in use, as I've always liked the idea of them, though it does seem to be almost all in Japanese cars. I know Nissan in Europe did have them in ordinary saloon cars in the late nineties, in fact I think they were the first mass-market manufacturer to use CVT's on non-tiny engines.

Audi did use CVT's on many of their models for a while, I think they have now switched away from CVT to dual-clutch automatics with several gears. I wonder what the reason for the switch was. (Just googled and found an article claiming it was for efficiency, which surprises me. Not sure why dual-clutch would be more efficient.)

When I was looking at getting a Range Rover Evoque about 18 months ago they were just replacing their conventional automatic gearbox with a completely new one developed by a German company, that was a nine-speed dual-clutch, so it seems dual-clutch is seen as the way forward by European manufacturers.

GottaRun

Post by GottaRun » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:46 pm

i have 140K miles on a 2012 Subaru outback with a CVT and it's been solid.

my wife drives it fairly hard, too.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:47 pm

GottaRun wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:46 pm
i have 140K miles on a 2012 Subaru outback with a CVT and it's been solid.

my wife drives it fairly hard, too.
Glad to hear that the CVT your 2012 Outback is solid after 140,000 miles. However, I recently saw in a different thread that Suburu has extended the warranty on the CVTs for four or five recent model years due to problems with CVTs across the Suburu fleet.

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:48 pm

targ wrote:
Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:18 pm
My first hand experience with CVTs ended with a childhood go-kart.

Since then, I've ridden in a few cars with CVTs and the ugh factor is still there just like the go-kart.

I definitely won't be buying a car with a go-kart transmission until it is the only choice (which probably won't be too far off the way things are going).
+1 :sharebeer

Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:56 pm

We love our 2018 Forester CVT (although we can't speak to its reliability yet). The one comic aspect of its design is the fake shift points they have to program in to placate people who are somehow alarmed by smooth acceleration.

Marylander1