Alternatives to Network Solutions for renewng website domain

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Retired1809

Alternatives to Network Solutions for renewng website domain

Post by Retired1809 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:09 pm

For 15 years, I've paid Network Solutions for the privilege of using my domain name. Don't we now have alternatives to Network Solutions? Who are they? Any recommendations?

Re: Alternatives to Network Solutions for renewng website do

Post by 123 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:26 pm

I've been using Godaddy.com for quite awhile but they've been adjusting their rates and services so it's not as good a deal as it once was. I've looked at Google's new domain registration service, https://domains.google.com/about/ , and will probably switch to them next. Their standard pricing seems to include the "private registration" option, in case that's important to you.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:30 pm

If you just do a search you'll find almost infinite possibilities. Decide what features you care about (private registration, etc.) and compare prices.

You can often get lower prices for initial registrations or transfers than renewals, so you can bounce around from registrar to registrar if you're inclined. In that sense registration is similar to credit card sign-up bonuses.

oneleaf

Post by oneleaf » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:32 pm

I can't remember what Network Solutions standard rates are (after the teaser 1 year advertised promotional rate) but I remember it being extremely high. Like over $30.

Namecheap has been a great registrar and I have used them the most. Rates are very reasonable (between $10 and $12 depending on tld). I also use AWS (Amazon web services) and prices are comparable.

jchef

Post by jchef » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:32 pm

You've have had options for many years. There are literally hundreds of domain registrars.

Namecheap.com and name.com are popular for low prices and good service. I personally use Gandi.net . It's a couple dollars more than the previous two, but they have an extremely good reputation.

edit: make it clear that it's gandi.net and not .com
Last edited by jchef on Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:39 pm

Another vote for Namecheap, who I transferred to after my previous registrar (MyDomain) went to hell in a handbasket and didn't forward e-mails.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

davebarnes

Namecheap

Post by davebarnes » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:42 pm

A nerd living in Denver

Tabulator

Post by Tabulator » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:42 pm

jchef wrote:I personally use Gandi. It's a couple dollars more than the previous two, but they have an extremely good reputation.
Yes. How interesting it is that the best registrars seem to be based in Europe and Canada. And the differences in price are hardly noticeable.

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:47 pm

I'm happy with Namecheap. I'm using them for a couple of domains with privacy registration. Previously I used Godaddy but I left them a few years back when they were adamant supporters of SOPA.

Cottons

Re: Namecheap

Post by Cottons » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:45 am

Thank you for this, and thank you to OP for reading my mind. I too was pondering this the other day.

InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:54 am

I've been using Namecheap for many years without any issues. They also have 2FA which is a plus.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)