Hawaii Visit (Maui). Need advice

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ram

Hawaii Visit (Maui). Need advice

Post by ram »

From tomorrow we are visiting Maui for 5-6 days. Our airline, hotel ( Napili point, kapalua, ) and car are booked. I am looking for advice for activities, eating places etc. Wife and I are going and we in our late 40's , early 50's and in good health. I will be attending a conference for 4-5 days from 7 am -12 noon but wife will be on full vacation. We are open to hiking, biking, water sports etc.
Thanks.
Ram
HIinvestor

Re: Hawaii Visit (Maui). Need advice

Post by HIinvestor »

I'd try to get in a daytime whale watching cruise--your W alone or the two of you together. They are in season right now through about April to May. What part of Maui are you staying in? Does your wife have a vehicle? Does she like horseback riding? There are some horseback rides in Princeville that are very scenic, but it may be fairly cool (for HI) this time of year. Poipu is the warmer, sunnier side of the island.

Haleakala is always nice. Have read of folks who have enjoyed biking down it, but have never personally tried it. Seeing the sunrise or sunset there is nice. If she likes snorkeling, she could try snorkeling on Molikini island in connection with the whale watching cruise.
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

We did this 2 years ago and had a really good time.

One of the best parts of the trip was taking a long day and driving to Hana. We literally just stopped at anything that looked interesting and found some really nice waterfalls, walking paths, caverns, etc. We woke up early and got breakfast before going and made it back around the island right around sunset. Really awesome day especially while riding around in a jeep.

Did the Haleakala sunrise which was nice but took a lot of effort.

Another day we drove the other coast of the island through Lahaina and got some amazing pictures. IMHO the best part of the trip was just taking life slow and driving around to see the island.

Have fun!
bertie wooster

Post by bertie wooster »

HIinvestor wrote:I'd try to get in a daytime whale watching cruise--your W alone or the two of you together. They are in season right now through about April to May. What part of Maui are you staying in? Does your wife have a vehicle? Does she like horseback riding? There are some horseback rides in Princeville that are very scenic, but it may be fairly cool (for HI) this time of year. Poipu is the warmer, sunnier side of the island.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Princeville and Poipu are on Kauai.

To the OP - since it looks like daytrips only Hana is out of the question. I would check out Haleakala, but you won't have much time to hike (still worth a short hike though). Cool beach town near the airport called Paia which is a cool little town (try out the Paia Fish Market - nothing fancy but good fish and chips. Also check out the Olivine Pools and keep on going down the road if you have time.

I also recommend stopping at every banana bread stand you find! And come back to check out Hana.
califboglehd

Post by califboglehd »

I would recommend taking the drive to Hana. It takes most of the day to get there and back, but it is among the most scenic coastlines on earth. Also, we enjoyed taking a catamaran trip to Lanai. Boat anchors in the small harbor there while you do some snorkeling.
Favorite restaurants were the Plantation House at Kapalua (views) and Mama's Fish House...outstanding.
Aloha. Maui No Ka Oi.
At the end of the day... it's the end of the day.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

A drive that is more nuts than the drive to Hana but not nearly as far away is to drive to Lahaina from Kahului via Rte 340, instead of by going the way everyone else does. Rte 340 hugs--and I mean hugs--the northwest side of the island and it's a whiteknuckle adventure not likely to be forgotten. It's also beautiful, and there's a really cool blowhole that you can stop at and see along the way, too.

Not far from Kahului is the 'Iao Valley State Park, which is beautiful, and has the iconic "Needle," which is a verdant rock formation that rises straight up from the valley floor and is quite something to take in.

Paia is a cool little village. Go to the nearby beaches to watch the surfers if that floats your boat.

Partway up to Haleakala (which you should also do if you have time) is the All'i Kula Lavender Farm, a neat little place with great views of the island and ocean; it's a neat kind of zen garden that you can wander around in for quite a while and it's tranquil and pretty. We went twice.

If you're up for more adventure there's ziplining, which is a lot of fun--there are several operators of these places. I think we did Skyline Eco Tours and had a blast.

The drive to Hana takes forever, but if you go, stop and buy banana bread at one of the road side stands. Also, if you do the drive, pull off and stop by the Palapala Ho'omau Church. It's made out of coral, I guess, but the reason I bring it up is because there's a very nice lava rock beach area there where the surf just pounds in, and it's pretty spectacular. You'll see similar scenery at the also beautiful Wai'anapanapa State Park, which is just outside of Hana. But Hana's pretty far to go.
Topic Author
ram

Post by ram »

I am staying at the northwest end of the island ( Napili) adjacent to Ritz Carlton Kapalua which is the conference site. Wife will have the car. Yes we both like horse riding. Cold is no problem for us . We live in -20 temperature region.
Ram
Pyrite

Post by Pyrite »

Maui is my favorite of the islands, and we're going again in a few months. If you are interested in a luau, I recommend the Old Lahaina Luau (in, as you might guess, Lahaina). We've been three times over the years. I second the rec for the 'Iao Valley, it is gorgeous. I have also enjoyed touring the Maui Tropical Plantation, and visiting the Maui Ocean center aquarium. The beaches on South Maui are probably worth the drive one day.

If you don't have a guidebook already, I always get the most recent edition of Maui Revealed. There's a kindle version if you have an e-reader. Their maps are especially good, really useful for getting around.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I was in Maui nine days last March.
Rte 340 from Napili to Kahului was under reconstruction and closed to thru traffic on the Kahului end. Still a scenic drive, just have to do a uturn at some point.

Agree that road to Hana is likely too much driving to be great fun as a day trip from Napili. But do Haleakala, several good day hikes.

Leave nothing of major value in your car when parking and leave unlocked or window down to discourage broken glass...
Attempted new signature...
Emilyjane

Post by Emilyjane »

For snorkeling advice, look at the recommendations at http://www.tropicalsnorkeling.com. We found the recommended spots to be as described. We had an awesome snorkel at honolua bay-- fish, coral, turtles, even a manta ray. Have a great time!
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance", Confucius
Imperabo

Post by Imperabo »

For a special occasion eat at Mama's Fish House in Paia. It's pricey, but legendary. Fantastic atmosphere on the beach and best seafood I've ever had. It's not close to where you're staying but could be incorporated into day up Haleakala.
Compound

Post by Compound »

Consider taking surf lessons in Lahaina if you've never tried surfing. Very fun and should work with your schedule.

The beaches are gorgeous -- spend as much time lounging on them as you can!
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Rent a Ferrari for a day. $1500, but when will you ever have the chance to drive around in a Ferrari again? We attempted to rent a Porsche 911 on our honeymoon, but the 2 that the rental place had were in the body shop from previous renters excapades.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

Pyrite wrote:If you don't have a guidebook already, I always get the most recent edition of Maui Revealed. There's a kindle version if you have an e-reader. Their maps are especially good, really useful for getting around.
+1
"Maui Revealed" is an amazing guide book.
We've been to Maui a couple times and never went anywhere without this book. You will find places you would otherwise never see.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

MoonOrb wrote:A drive that is more nuts than the drive to Hana but not nearly as far away is to drive to Lahaina from Kahului via Rte 340, instead of by going the way everyone else does. Rte 340 hugs--and I mean hugs--the northwest side of the island and it's a whiteknuckle adventure not likely to be forgotten. It's also beautiful, and there's a really cool blowhole that you can stop at and see along the way, too.

Not far from Kahului is the 'Iao Valley State Park, which is beautiful, and has the iconic "Needle," which is a verdant rock formation that rises straight up from the valley floor and is quite something to take in.
Having been to Maui a few times I would agree with the above.

The road to Hana is also spectacular, but plan to it to take a full day. Leave earlier than you think, because you really don't want to rush it and you definitely don't want to be driving back at dusk/dark. Been there, done that.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Jack FFR1846 wrote:Rent a Ferrari for a day. $1500, but when will you ever have the chance to drive around in a Ferrari again? We attempted to rent a Porsche 911 on our honeymoon, but the 2 that the rental place had were in the body shop from previous renters excapades.
Isn't Hawaii the perfect place to rent a Jeep?

I mean, often wet, mountain roads, etc.?

I know Magnum PI etc. but islands are usually not good places to speed-- blind curves, erratic local drivers etc.?
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

ram wrote:From tomorrow we are visiting Maui for 5-6 days. Our airline, hotel ( Napili point, kapalua, ) and car are booked. I am looking for advice for activities, eating places etc. Wife and I are going and we in our late 40's , early 50's and in good health. I will be attending a conference for 4-5 days from 7 am -12 noon but wife will be on full vacation. We are open to hiking, biking, water sports etc.
Thanks.
I have spent a lot of time in Napili, it is my favorite. Based on your comments, you might try:
1.) Excellent walking nearby- the Kapalua Coastal trail is my favorite but we do all of the walks in Kapalua's system
http://kapalua.com/public/kapalua/files ... ooklet.pdf
2.) There is a water sports rental biz in your resort, Water works, rent a SUP and carry it to the other end (flat water area) of the beach by Napili Kai resort to learn. It is not too hard and once you get the basics you can try two people on board and/or bring a mask and stick your head in the water for SUP snorkeling
3.) Snorkel with the turtles right in front of your resort. If you see a day with no/low surf at Honolua Bay drive up there and snorkel. IMO, the best beaches in Maui start at your doorstep and go north. Check them all out.
http://www.surfline.com/surf-report/hon ... aui_10814/
4.) Sundowners/whale watch from the open area at the ocean end of your resort
5.) Go to the Fish Market in Honokawai, about 3 miles south of your resort, for fish tacos for lunch and bring back some tuna and opakapaka to grill for dinner, there are gas grills at your resort. Buy their marinade or macadamia nut crust
6.) Bike from Snorkel Bob at Napili Plaza if you are just looking to cruise around Kapalua or Honokawai. Will be on road with cars, often with no shoulders. If you are serious bikers, get road bikes from West Maui Cycles and head north up the coast
7.) Your resort has a popular breakfast place with good pancakes. The BBQ place is pretty good too
8.) Don't go farther than Lahaina, the Road to Hana is giving up a day of your vacation to sit in the car. Better spent in a rubber raft looking at humpback whales. There is so much to do right around your resort it is a shame to spend time in Maui's traffic east of Lahaina.
9.) Star Noodle in Lahaina, SE street food trendy noodle place. Call in advance and get on the wait list or you will have to wait in their parking lot. It is small but good and fresh tasting.
10.) Slack Key Guitar concerts on Wed and Thursday nights at Napili Kai, the best in the world walking distance from your room.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
TomTX

Post by TomTX »

Imperabo wrote:For a special occasion eat at Mama's Fish House in Paia. It's pricey, but legendary. Fantastic atmosphere on the beach and best seafood I've ever had. It's not close to where you're staying but could be incorporated into day up Haleakala.
If you go to Paia, you have to stop and see the tiny Stupa. Consecrated by the Dalai Lama.

http://www.mauidharmacenter.com/stupa_temple.html

Also, stop in the Paia grocery store for supplies/snacks.

Stop for some shave ice somewhere.
DTSC

Post by DTSC »

Best advice I can give - skip out on the conference if you can! Life is short!
john94549

Post by john94549 »

Drive a few miles south to Kaanapali. Park at the garage at Whaler's Village. Spend the afternoon on the beach, people watching, shopping (if you wish), doing a whale watch, etc. If you want the classic large, long, beach, Kaanapali is worth the short drive. Roy's is now located at Kaanapali, as well.
Last edited by john94549 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geronimobro

Post by Geronimobro »

If you're at all adventurous and enjoy snorkeling, you owe it to yourself to take a catamaran tour out to the Molokini Crater for snorkeling. After living in Hawaii for a few years and visiting all of the islands, this was a highlight. Absolutely spectacular underwater visibility and wildlife, pretty much unmatched in Hawaii.
sci fi

Post by sci fi »

Geronimobro wrote:If you're at all adventurous and enjoy snorkeling, you owe it to yourself to take a catamaran tour out to the Molokini Crater for snorkeling. After living in Hawaii for a few years and visiting all of the islands, this was a highlight. Absolutely spectacular underwater visibility and wildlife, pretty much unmatched in Hawaii.
This would be my recommendation as well if you're interested in snorkeling. Whale watching is pretty awesome this time of year as well. I'm from the Big Island and thinking about going to Maui in a few weeks and doing some bodysurfing in Kaanapali.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

While we were there on a business trip (Kaanapali Hilton) we had extended stay early and stayed at the bottom of Wailea (end of the road at the old Outrigger)... we really enjoyed a helicopter ride of the island (took off at the airport)...incredible views

we also did Haleakala on our own time (not sunrise/sunset...although we knew others that did that) but the road to Hana was a road too far for us (others we knew did it...one day there...one day back!)
john94549

Post by john94549 »

For us, the "road to Hana" was like a movie that could have been edited to a much shorter length. Haleakala was nice, but (aside from the crater) like being in Northern California. South Maui was not to our taste, as each resort had its own beach (postage-stamp-sized), but you needed a car to get anywhere. We finally settled on, and bought a place at, Kaanapali. Aside from grocery shopping, you really don't need to drive much. And even for grocery shopping, there is a shuttle. And, yes, for retirees, Kaiser is in Lahaina.
kupuna

Post by kupuna »

Good advice from many people, especially WhyNotUs.

We live on Maui four months a year, in fact there now. It is a special place with beautiful weather, beautiful scenery and wonderful people. We live at Ka'anapali Hillside at a place called The Masters.

Best advice is to get the book (or APP) Maui Revealed as already suggested. It gives good advice with few exceptions and has suggested itineraries that will fit your time restraints.

Tour the island but also take time to hang out at the beach for a day or two. Kapalua Beach is one of our favorites but Ka'anapali Beach, DT Fleming and Airport Beach are all great. The whales are here right now so don't miss taking a whale watch. We like Pacific Whale Foundation but they all do a great job. For a snokeling adventure I suggest Trilogy out of Maalaea Harbor to Molokini Crater or just walk in at Kapalua Beach. Old Lahaina Luau is the best on the island but make sure you reserve in advance. It sells out every night. If you book make sure you take the "table and chairs" option as "traditional seating" has you sitting on the ground. It's a wonderful way to spend the evening. The Maui Ocean Center is a great place to view the ocean life without getting wet. If you got to Hana, start early and leave at least an hour before sunset.

There is no shortage of eating places. The best meal we've had was at Lahaina Grill. Pricey, but exceptional food and service. The best setting for a meal is Mama's Fish House in Paia but a long drive from Napili. Easy to spend $100 a head. For a Boglehead-type meal (good but inexpensive) try Aloha Mixed Plate. Between 4-6 they have $1.75 beers and $3 MaiTai's. Cheapest on the island and great local setting. Groceries cost about 20% more than the mainland because most is shipped in. You won't find sweeter papaya or pineapple. Buy some Roselani Ice Cream, made on Maui, Kona Mud Pie is our favorite.

The locals are wonderful people but it takes awhile to get to know them. Maui population is around 140,000 (and everyone's seems related) with over 2.2 million visitors so they know most people are just passing through. There is very little concern for politics or finances since they are 2500+ miles from nearest land. I like it. The sports page in local paper (Maui News) is five pages and the money section is three articles from three days ago. Could go on and on but you'll find your way. Maui is a special place. Hope you have a great time with one small request...spend lots of money to keep my taxes low.

TOM
"I can calculate the motions of the heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people." Sir Isaac Newton
rixer

Post by rixer »

If you do take a trip to Hana you'll enjoy some breath taking views along the way with waterfalls and rainbows through a beautiful rainforest. It's something I'm glad I didn't miss. When you get to Hana, go just a little further to the Seven Sacred Pools and take a dip just to say you did. :beer From down below at the last pools, it's a great photo op of the pools with their waterfalls with the rainbow bridge rising over them.

Paia is a quaint little community before you head up the road to Hana. There's a state beach named Baldwin Park just at the edge of town you can stop at and enjoy a picnic lunch if you want. I actually flew to Maui and camped out here with a buddy back in the early 70's when we were in our 'anti-establishment' days. lol It was a trip to revisit it years later as a tourist.

Have a great time!
bluemarlin08

Post by bluemarlin08 »

We extended our business meeting a few years ago and rented a house in Hana, very cool place. Loved the seven pools.
kwan2

Post by kwan2 »

you might be able to drive counter-clockwise around haleakala, maybe then you can beat the hoards of tourists.

other than that don't feel you have to sightsee, depends on what kind of stuff you like, but take a few days drinking Primo beer, somewhere other than the resort. meet a local, who doesn't work at the resort, imho

and do the earliest whale watch, as the ocean is calmer in the morning, and maui is humpback central in the world.
“The history of Paris teaches us that beauty is a by-product of danger, that liberty is at best a consequence of neglect, that wisdom is entwined with decay."
raymclean

Post by raymclean »

One of the most memorable sights, among many, is the amazing Banyan Tree in Lahaina. Its main core is huge, stands 6 stories high or so and has a dozen or more off-spring trunks, all together taking up nearly an acre in a city park. Also, if you drive up to see the sunrise at the volcano, bring extra blankets because it is really cold up there at that hour! But an incredible, unforgetable sight. Have a great visit!
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

Coolest hike I've ever done on Maui is west side of 'Ioa Needle - along the 'Ioa stream on paved trails, then continuing on dirt trails. And some point we headed up the north slope following a local, on a trail known only to locals, to a lookout point. Then it was back downhill to the stream and a dip in a shallow pool. A bit of a scramble but worth it.

Pack water, snacks, bug spray, emergency whistle, a bathing suit and towel and take a dip in the 'Ioa stream if it is a warm enough day. Be prepared for a little mud.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
Topic Author
ram

Post by ram »

Thanks for all the advice. I am there now and enjoying it. More details upon return.
Ram
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

ram wrote:From tomorrow we are visiting Maui for 5-6 days. Our airline, hotel ( Napili point, kapalua, ) and car are booked. I am looking for advice for activities, eating places etc. Wife and I are going and we in our late 40's , early 50's and in good health. I will be attending a conference for 4-5 days from 7 am -12 noon but wife will be on full vacation. We are open to hiking, biking, water sports etc.
Thanks.
I'm a little late, but having spent a lot of time in Maui these are the things that have meant/enjoyed the most to my wife and I (in no particular order):

Lunch or dinner at Mama's Fish House. It's $$$$
Snorkeling at Honolua Bay. It's just North of Napili. Best snorkeling I've ever done and it's free (save for flipper/goggle rentals)
Watching the sunrise at Haleakala
Hiking the Waihee Ridge trail. North and West of Kahului.
Hiking the Pipiwai trail. In Hana
Lahaina
Old Lahaina Luau
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through