Keurig-cup coffee makers - why?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Seattlenative

Keurig-cup coffee makers - why?

Post by Seattlenative » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:18 pm

Unless I'm missing something, brewing a K-Cup of coffee costs about 60 to 75 cents, while brewing the highest quality ground or whole-bean coffee comes out to under 10 cents a cup. I know there's a convenience factor (less stale unused coffee which often goes down the drain), but can any of you explain to me why the coffee produced by these Keurig K-cup machines is really worth the tenfold increase in price-per-cup? Is this simply a matter of Americans becoming too lazy to brew a small pot of coffee when they don't want to make a full pot?

prudent

Re: Keurig-cup coffee makers - why?

Post by prudent » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:25 pm

According to my friends who have them, it's for the wide variety of flavors + fresh coffee on demand + they don't drink coffee by the pot (like I do).

cmwahl

Post by cmwahl » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:27 pm

We use the refillable K cups so we still have high quality coffee for 10 cents a cup and it's always fresh.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:28 pm

Convenience, I guess. I buy them myself, but have gotten the cost down to around 50 cents each through Amazon and my supermarket's store brand. No wasted stale unused coffee or messy/stinky grinds to deal with. I have one per day at home on average, that would otherwise be a lot of wasted pots of regular coffee. It also lets me enjoy a wide variety of flavors without having to keep a bunch of cans around and having it go stale eventually.

Even my office supplies a variety of k-cups now, instead of just one pot for everyone.

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:31 pm

I told myself I would never buy a Keurig coffee maker as I could not justify the cost as you have pointed out( I also did the math).
Well my spouse wanted one for Xmas so we purchased one from Amazon.
We have 2 coffee pots in the kitchen ,Keurig and a drip coffee maker that I like for Folgers Black Silk.
Part of keeping the drip is I just couldn't justify the price for myself so I continued on,,,,,,,,,for a while.
Eventually I found myself migrating to the Keurig,and found the reason to be as you mentioned Convenience.
Brews quicker,no coffee filters,consistent taste.I still have not eliminated the drip maker but the Keurig is taking over.The keurig also has a feature that allows one to use regular coffee,,drip.
When purchasing K-Cups I usually go to Amazon to find what is on sale ,,attempting to keep it at 30-35 cents a cup.

http://www.amazon.com/San-Francisco-Bay ... fog+chaser

Picked up these K-cups at Sams the other day .34 per cup,Excellent coffee :happy

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/dc-colombi ... navAction=
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Blue

Post by Blue » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:36 pm

Small incremental monetary cost vs small incremental time gain. For us, the latter is sufficiently large that it is worth the incremental cost.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:40 pm

Toons wrote:I told myself I would never buy a Keurig coffee maker as I could not justify the cost as you have pointed out( I also did the math).
We have 2 coffee pots in the kitchen ,Keurig and a drip coffee maker that I like for Folgers Black Silk.
Part of keeping the drip is I just couldn't justify the price for myself so I continued on,,,,,,,,,for a while.
Eventually I found myself migrating to the Keurig,and found the reason to be as you mentioned Convenience.
Brews quicker,no coffee filters,consistent taste.I still have not eliminated the drip maker but the Keurig is taking over.The keurig also has a feature that allows one to use regular coffee,,drip.
When purchasing K-Cups I usually go to Amazon to find what is on sale ,,attempting to keep it at 30-35 cents a cup.

Picked up these K-cups at Sams the other day .34 per cup,Excellent coffee :happy

Oh no! Another good man gone over to the dark side. :( I'm still holding out for the cheap stuff by the pot.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:44 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Toons wrote:I told myself I would never buy a Keurig coffee maker as I could not justify the cost as you have pointed out( I also did the math).

Oh no! Another good man gone over to the dark side. :( I'm still holding out for the cheap stuff by the pot.

LOL,,,,,I sometimes stare at the Keurig,,,,,,then glance over at my wife and say ,,"Its all your fault"...lol
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:55 pm

My Brother can only have decaf now, SIL hates Decaf.
Sol'n was a Keurig, and his & her Kcup trees.

They did not want two pots of coffee around and can easily afford small indulgences, and
are going to enjoy themselves while retired.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:06 pm

The same reason you pay $3 for a cup at Starbucks: Convenience. Making a pot of coffee is a pain and making it and getting the child(ren) dressed, ready and to school while making a pot of coffee leaves little to no time for drinking. I barely have time for 2 cups out of the Keurig in the morning as it is.

There are some other advantages. It's great when you have visitors because I find that I like far stronger coffee than any other family members. Plus, those that don't drink coffee can have hot chocolate or tea without making another pot. In the winter, you can also have hot cider with a nip of whiskey. Yum.

Am I happy about the price of the cups? No. But I get two cups of the stuff I like every morning for about a buck. And I have a few minutes to drink it, too...

JT

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:10 pm

There's been several posts on Keurig vs. xxx over the past year. As others have said, it comes down to time & convenience. A Keurig makes a good, not great, cup of coffee with less time, effort, mess, forethought, planning, clean up, grocery shopping, etc. I can go from not even thinking about coffee to having a freshly brewed cup in hand in < 3 minutes - maybe 2 if I tried hard.

Does a Keurig make the best coffee? No. It's a pretty good cup for minimal effort? Yes.

Also, I think your $ numbers are off. I can get Starbucks k-cups for < $0.40/cup. Green Mountain, Timothy's or other slightly less premium k-cups for $0.30-0.35 per. You can also buy the really cheap coffee kcups for less, but I don't. You can also grind your own beans and put them in a special, reusable cup -- works OK, but not worth the time/mess/effort IMO.

If you're retired, have nothing but time, and normally drink most of a 12 cup pot... Kuerig makes no sense.
If you're working stiff, 40-60 hour weeks, another 10-15 hours in commute time, married, kids, etc.... the time save and convenience is well worth it.

TareNeko

Post by TareNeko » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:19 pm

I drink several cups a day so I brew my own. I can't drink the coffee in the office due to hygiene reasons. Sbux coffee is expensive & acidic.
It takes me perhaps a minute or 90 secs to prep. The coffee is ready before I can finish prep'ing my breakfast, so no gain in time for me anyways.

I buy the San Francisco Bay Organic Rain Forest Blend from Costco (3lbs). To keep it fresh:

Buy whole bean.
Use a small container (say, 5 day supply) that is air-tight, stored in dark place.
Store the rest in air-tight container in the freezer.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:51 pm

$0.60/cup is a lot more economical than $5/cup at starbucks. My wife drinks one cup every morning. I drink a hot cocoa or tea about twice a week. Make sense for us.

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:01 pm

Seattlenative wrote:Unless I'm missing something, brewing a K-Cup of coffee costs about 60 to 75 cents, while brewing the highest quality ground or whole-bean coffee comes out to under 10 cents a cup. I know there's a convenience factor (less stale unused coffee which often goes down the drain), but can any of you explain to me why the coffee produced by these Keurig K-cup machines is really worth the tenfold increase in price-per-cup? Is this simply a matter of Americans becoming too lazy to brew a small pot of coffee when they don't want to make a full pot?
Three words. Convenience. Convenience. Convenience. And yes, it is worth the extra cost. Being lazy has nothing to do with it. It's all about not spending extra time brewing a small pot of coffee.

Cosmo

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:03 pm

Three words. Convenience. Convenience. Convenience. And yes, it is worth the extra cost. Being lazy has nothing to do with it. It's all about not spending extra time brewing a small pot of coffee.
It's intended to be quality, quality, quality (the coffee, the brewers tend to be unreliable unfortunately). Some people also do it for convenience but that's not the primary purpose of Keurig.
can any of you explain to me why the coffee produced by these Keurig K-cup machines is really worth the tenfold increase in price-per-cup?
The same reason some people will spend 130K on a car when a 11K car can do 90% of the same job, because quality and the experience matters and they are willing and can afford to pay for it. K-cups are not intended to be cheap compared to $5 a can drip coffee, they are intended to brew an very good cup of coffee without having to spend thousands of dollars on a coffee machine.

K-cups are nitrogen packed, that means they are fresher than anything but coffee that has just been roasted (even frozen coffee is not as fresh as a k-cup). With a GOOD k-cup machine with good K-cups you get amazing coffee.

Ironically Keurig brand brewers are not the best brewers. The Cusinart SS-700 actually brews a much better cup of coffee than the Keurig brand brewer (twice the coffee content in a cup). We just upgraded to the SS-700 and I can testify that even with middle tier coffee it makes an amazing cup that is very noticeably better than Keurig brewer with the same batch of k-cups.

My work also has Keurig machines and stocks ~ 15 different types of coffee, it's nice because no one complains about the coffee picked and if you don't like any of the 15 provided you can bring your own k-cups.

If cost is your measure a Keurig machine is not for you, if on the other hand you are willing to spend $200 - $300 on a machine to get coffee that tastes like it came out of a $3000 machine then it may be for you. Keurig's also break down a lot, it's one of the few times a 3 year extended warranty is a good buy.

greenfire

Post by greenfire » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:21 pm

did you know that over 8.3 billion K Cups a year are discarded, enough to circle the earth 10.5 times?

and that's not the only problem.

from this: http://www.realfarmacy.com/kicked-keurig-curb/

tylerdurden

Post by tylerdurden » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:25 pm

As others have mentioned, it is primarily about the convenience. This is especially true when we have guests over, as everyone can have their own "shot" of coffee. The variety of flavors, especially for someone like me that generally doesn't like coffee, is an added bonus.

That said, my wife and I have switched more to making our own coffee with a french press and coffee bean grinder. It was initially for cost savings (especially with how cheap Trader Joe coffee beans are), but now has become a fun weekend ritual.
"The things you own end up owning you." -TD

greenfire

Post by greenfire » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:33 pm

another article: http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/ ... ne-plastic

We make our coffee with a chemex, organic coffee, unbleached filter, filtered well water. I don't like to drink anything else.

(once you've had cancer, anything plastic is suspect.)

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:55 pm

greenfire wrote:another article: http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/ ... ne-plastic

We make our coffee with a chemex, organic coffee, unbleached filter, filtered well water. I don't like to drink anything else.

(once you've had cancer, anything plastic is suspect.)
Morning routine:

Put water to boil in boiler
Take dark roasted coffee out of cupboard (not the freezer, it is locally roasted coffee, a few days out of the roaster) grind it on Barazata burr mill for pour over (this is for DW)
Take medium roasted coffee and repeat as above, but ground for French Press (that's for me)
Once water boils, pre-heat thermos for pour over, return water to boiler, set up glass cone with paper filter, begin the pour over
While this is happening, fill French Press with water (now about 195 degrees F), stir with chopstick and set timer to 5 minutes
Finish pour over, close thermos.
Press the French Press, bring both vessels to the table and enjoy.

Perhaps I have too much time on my hands in retirement :happy , but we both enjoy our coffee.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

clevername

Post by clevername » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:00 pm

We have one at my office and I estimate that we spend about $10,000/yr on k-cups. I like it but I can't help but wonder if there's a more cost effective solution to our coffee addictions, like a caffeine pill dispenser by the water cooler or something?

sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:02 pm

Same question/idea...Why do people buy bagged lettuces? Convenience!
Powered by chocolate!

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:07 pm

Lots of discussion about the cost per cup, but what about the onetime cost of the Keurig machine? Those things aren't cheap. And you also have to consider whether it is worth the counter top real estate.

I get a kick out of using my brother's Keurig to make my morning mocha when I visit him in SoCal, but adding a teaspoon of instant to a cup of nuked milk (with chocolate syrup or brown sugar) is good enough for me.

Userdc

Post by Userdc » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:23 pm

Good whole bean coffee costs much more than 10 cents a cup. You might get 30 eight ounce cups out of a pound of coffee, so that's easily 20 cents to 40 cents a cup depending on bean quality. And that's assuming no waste, which is probably not a good assumption for many people given how quickly fresh roasted coffee spoils.

On weekends I roast my own green coffee in small batches and it still costs me .15-.20 cents a cup.

I don't have time to make real coffee on weekdays, so I buy a real cup of coffee - life is too short to drink Keurig.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:58 pm

Userdc wrote:On weekends I roast my own green coffee in small batches and it still costs me .15-.20 cents a cup.

I don't have time to make real coffee on weekdays, so I buy a real cup of coffee - life is too short to drink Keurig.
I might make the same statement: Life's too short to waste picking out individual beans, roasting them in my specially built roaster, grinding them individually, and then using most of my childhood ChemCraft chemistry set to distill the essence into a cup.

However, if that's what a person wants to do, who am I to criticize? Meanwhile, I'll use my Keurig to knock out a cup, and get on about my day!

Seattlenative

Post by Seattlenative » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:47 am

Userdc wrote:Good whole bean coffee costs much more than 10 cents a cup. You might get 30 eight ounce cups out of a pound of coffee, so that's easily 20 cents to 40 cents a cup depending on bean quality. And that's assuming no waste, which is probably not a good assumption for many people given how quickly fresh roasted coffee spoils. On weekends I roast my own green coffee in small batches and it still costs me .15-.20 cents a cup. I don't have time to make real coffee on weekdays, so I buy a real cup of coffee - life is too short to drink Keurig.
Good points. I just don't think it's all that difficult to buy top-of-the-line whole bean coffee, grind it for about 30 to 45 seconds, then brew it in a decent-quality "mid-grade" $35 Mister Coffee brewer. It's a lot less expensive than using any of the Keurig or Tassimo single-cup systems. If I'm on my way out the door and don't want to brew coffee, then I go to the McDonald's drive-thru a mile from our house to buy a good-tasting large coffee at $1.00 plus tax. Frequently I don't even finish the entire cup but the fact that McDonald's sells a large cup of decent coffee for a buck - and makes a profit from the transaction - gives some idea of how expensive Keurig/Tassimo single-cup coffee really is. Just my two dollars' worth......

szmaine

Post by szmaine » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:01 am

My husband, a morning person, used to handle the morning routine so I would just grope my way to the cooffe every morning and plunk myself in front of the morning news. He was also a big coffee drinker so a pot would all be consumed after I left for work. When he died and I was confronted with a dog that needed to go out asap I decided to get one. It has really improved my morning and I'm sure the dog appreciates it too.
I think the coffees are pretty good and I still use the drip maker on the weekends.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:22 am

sunnywindy wrote:Same question/idea...Why do people buy bagged lettuces? Convenience!

True, but we also don't pay $100+ for a machine that pretty much does the exact same thing as an $18 drip equivalent, just in smaller form. If the Keurig cost similar to standard coffee machines, I'd have less of an issue with it, but as it stands, it's amongst the most expensive machines out there, and I'm not exactly sure what it does to deserve such a high price, given that it seems to do the exact same thing, dripping hot water through a K-cup AND is limited by requiring both a K-cup and/or coffees in K-cup form. And now there's the whole 'DRM-K-cup issue"...

As, is, the act of brewing coffee isn't a particular time consuming one - I mean, how hard is it to put in a disposable paper coffee filter, water, and preground coffee into a regular coffee machine? I think it takes me less than one minute to do it in the morning.

As an aside though, to be fair to K-cups, people never widely criticize Coffeemate and other creamers that are popular in 'tub' form. I do use Coffeemate at work (lactose intolerant), and they mainly have it in individual tub forms - it seems to me that those are just as plastic-generating in terms of waste as K-cups but nobody really makes a huge fuss over it.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:37 am

[deleted]

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:03 am

cmwahl wrote:We use the refillable K cups so we still have high quality coffee for 10 cents a cup and it's always fresh.
+1 I use my Keurig (wedding gift) every morning with "regular" coffee that I put in the reusable cup. It is slightly more work to clean it out than just throwing away the k-cup but at a cost savings of approximately $450/yr. (By my math, when using "free range coffee" it comes in around 3 cents a cup, not counting the 1 time purchase of the cup which is $8 on amazon.)

As a side not, some of the flavored coffee gives my wife headaches, I don't know if this is a prevalent thing or not.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:47 am

Convenience and cost!

It is true a cost/cup brewing is $.10 vs. $.60 KCUP, however how many people make a pot and drink a cup or 2 then pour the remaining down the drain?

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:53 am

greenfire wrote:did you know that over 8.3 billion K Cups a year are discarded, enough to circle the earth 10.5 times?

and that's not the only problem.

from this: http://www.realfarmacy.com/kicked-keurig-curb/
Wow, that's horrible. I could never use something that produced that much plastic waste.

I don't drink coffee, I drink hot chocolate, and the Swiss Miss paper packets work fine with a real cup in the microwave.

poker27

Post by poker27 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:05 am

I have both a 'real' coffee maker, and a keurig. I use the real coffee maker when I want several cups, or I have time (just made myself 9 cups that I will sip on for the next few hours). Keurig is when I want a single cup at night, or I dont have time to get everything out. Its not worth fighting the fight to get the gf to use the regular coffee maker anymore.

papito23

Post by papito23 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:31 am

"Making a pot of coffee is a pain" WTF? (What The Frenchpress?) I fear for my country when I hear stuff like this.

Keurig exists because rich people (us) need something to spend their money on. Once the essentials are affordable to almost everyone, and competition slices profit margins, how are companies to make any money? The same as they ever have: advertising to create discontent with the status quo.

Ok, now is the part of the post where I admit I use the single-use lunatic machine 2-3x/day at my workplace (is this why they won't give us raises?), since it is free. It is also the part where I make an oath to give up the danged thing for Lent.
A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise. -Aldo Leopold's Golden Rule of Ecology

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:37 am

My only problem with making ordinary coffee is my own clumsiness. Maybe once every fifty pots I'm not careful putting the filter in, and it folds over giving me a pot of grounds with my coffee. Then I have to pour it all out and make another pot. Horrors!!!

tuckeverlasting

Post by tuckeverlasting » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:42 am

French press, fresh-ground beans, and, importantly-- no plastic, is the only way to go! For moi, anyway. Super fast too, once you have the routine down. :)
It's Good To Be A Boglehead

TareNeko

Post by TareNeko » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:43 am

ddurrett896 wrote:Convenience and cost!

It is true a cost/cup brewing is $.10 vs. $.60 KCUP, however how many people make a pot and drink a cup or 2 then pour the remaining down the drain?
I hope not many. Because it is not that difficult to figure out how much coffee you want to drink.
If someone is not able to figure this out and constantly pour coffee down the drain, I think there are bigger problems to resolve there.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:58 am

I'm anti- overpriced, convenience items. No K cups for me.
When my old small coffee maker went out, I searched and landed upon http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-49 ... ffee+maker

Picked it up a few years ago at Kohl's on sale + coupon deal. Nearly as fast as a K-waste machine, use whatever coffee you'd like, less waste, less costs. Feel less like an ugly American.

:sharebeer

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:59 am

Erhan wrote:
ddurrett896 wrote:Convenience and cost!

I hope not many. Because it is not that difficult to figure out how much coffee you want to drink.
If someone is not able to figure this out and constantly pour coffee down the drain, I think there are bigger problems to resolve there.
How many make a KCUP, and when it's all gone decide they want another? I always want at least 2, but it's embarrassing to ask for another when your visiting someone who has a Keurig.

Pizzasteve510

Post by Pizzasteve510 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:03 am

It's somewhat analogous to the tea bag vs leaf tea to some degree (though tea bags are bio degradable in normal compost). Anyway, we switched to quality tea and feel much better.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:05 am

why indeed.

high up front cost and high per cup cost, ecological disaster, and makes a pretty weak cup of coffee. no thanks.

fandango

Post by fandango » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:20 am

I bought a new Keurig Elite 45 for $79.00 last month.

When I use my own coffee in the Keurig cups, the cost is $.09 per cup. When I shop the internet deals for Keurig K-cups, it can find what I like for about $.50 per cup.

No waste, no mess.

Before, I was buying a pound of coffee a week for $8.99 and making 7 pots a week or roughly $1.28 per pot. I would drink 1 or 2 cups out of each pot for a cost of $.64 per cup.

So, for my use the Keurig is cost efficient and convenient. I also think it makes a great hot cup of coffee.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:37 am

fandango wrote:I bought a new Keurig Elite 45 for $79.00 last month.

When I use my own coffee in the Keurig cups, the cost is $.09 per cup. When I shop the internet deals for Keurig K-cups, it can find what I like for about $.50 per cup.

No waste, no mess.

Before, I was buying a pound of coffee a week for $8.99 and making 7 pots a week or roughly $1.28 per pot. I would drink 1 or 2 cups out of each pot for a cost of $.64 per cup.

So, for my use the Keurig is cost efficient and convenient. I also think it makes a great hot cup of coffee.
All that tracking of expenses and you didn't realize you can make a "small" pot of coffee?

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:40 pm

surfstar wrote:

No waste, no mess.

All that tracking of expenses and you didn't realize you can make a "small" pot of coffee?
Yes, isn't that the reason the pots have cup markers on them? Say you have a twelve cup pot, but you only want three cups. Instead of using three scoops of coffee just use one. Instead of dumping twelve cups of water in just dump three. Viola your $1.28 per pot magically becomes $.32 per pot, and the $.64 cup becomes a $.11 cup

ddj

Post by ddj » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:56 pm

fandango wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
surfstar wrote:
fandango wrote:
No waste, no mess.
How many k-cup users separate the top of the cup, toss it and recycle the bottom plastic?

My drip grounds/French press grounds go to compost...after I've had a tasty couple cups.

papito23

Post by papito23 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:27 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
surfstar wrote:

No waste, no mess.

Yes, isn't that the reason the pots have cup markers on them? Say you have a twelve cup pot, but you only want three cups. Instead of using three scoops of coffee just use one. Instead of dumping twelve cups of water in just dump three. Viola your $1.28 per pot magically becomes $.32 per pot, and the $.64 cup becomes a $.11 cup
I used to make a large pizza for dinner each night at $16 for 8 slices, ate 2, then threw the rest out. Therefore, my cost was $8/slice. I now have 2 individual slices delivered by Amazon.com drone nightly at $3 each, and they come conveniently wrapped, each in their own cellophane, aluminum foil, cardboard box, and tracking label. I'm saving $2/day!
A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise. -Aldo Leopold's Golden Rule of Ecology

auggiedoggies

Post by auggiedoggies » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:22 pm

This is embarrassing to admit, but I have no idea how a regular coffee maker even works, although I know my mother (coffee lover) grinds her own beans. I'm 25, didn't really start drinking coffee until I graduated college (21). At that point, I got a great deal on a Keurig (brand new for $50) and only drink 3-4 cups per week. Super convenient, and I can choose whatever flavor I want!

steadyeddy

Post by steadyeddy » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:46 pm

auggiedoggies wrote:This is embarrassing to admit, but I have no idea how a regular coffee maker even works...
My friends who asked me to pick up whipped cream on my way to dinner party and said, "What is THAT?" when I arrived with cream instead of aerosol. They had never seen whipping cream before in their lives and didn't know it could be made without a pressurized can! :oops:

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:52 pm

Don't laugh, Papito, I'm sure that Amazon will, sooner or later, get into the pizza delivery business, and that individually wrapped slices will appear.

Back to the Keurig economics: Cheapskate that I am, I re-use the Keurigs. Run it through the machine on the medium sized cup (need space for the milk!), drink that, then run it through again on the small cup mode.

I invest the savings from that second cup in an aggressive stock fund.

Results?: Free Keurig!!

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:05 pm

obgraham wrote:Don't laugh, Papito, I'm sure that Amazon will, sooner or later, get into the pizza delivery business, and that individually wrapped slices will appear.

Back to the Keurig economics: Cheapskate that I am, I re-use the Keurigs. Run it through the machine on the medium sized cup (need space for the milk!), drink that, then run it through again on the small cup mode.

I invest the savings from that second cup in an aggressive stock fund.

Results?: Free Keurig!!
Doesn't a medium and a small equal a large cup? So a Keurig is good for one large cup? Actually I already know the answer because I like large coffee cups, and I've tried reusing the same Keurig to make more coffee. Not good for the second cup.

G12

Post by G12 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:28 pm

I tend to drink more coffee & chicory than other coffee, so the K-cups are way too weak no matter the coffee. 2.5 cups of filtered water, 3 minutes in the microwave, add 3-scoops of C & C, stir and let sit for 3 minutes, use pour-over filter placed on large mug and let filter/drain, boom - great coffee and do whatever I need the vast majority of the time the microwaving, steeping, filtering takes. I recall reading about bacterial growth in the K machines with no way of adequately cleaning the system. :shock: