anyone here been to the Super Bowl?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Go Blue 99

anyone here been to the Super Bowl?

Post by Go Blue 99 »

My brother-in-law generously surprised me with a Super Bowl trip last night (I'm a Patriots fan). He is covering the big stuff and I'll just have to pay for meals, drinks, parking, etc. This will be my first (and probably only) trip ever to watch the Super Bowl in person. Any tips or advice? I'll be going with my father-in-law, and we are staying about one hour outside of Glendale (in Florence).

I know there are a lot of activities the NFL puts on, such as NFL Experience. Looks like that is $35 per person, or $60 if you want a picture with the Lombardi Trophy. What else is recommended?

This will also be my first trip to Arizona. Is it worth the time to go check out Phoenix or Scottsdale? We will be arriving Friday afternoon and leaving Monday morning.

Thanks.
p14175

Re: anyone here been to the Super Bowl?

Post by p14175 »

Uhm.. I'd give yourself more like 2 hrs to get to go from Florence to Glendale. On Super Bowl day you might want to give yourself even more time to get there.

I hear that the NFL experience is in downtown Phoenix this year. If you go you might want to take the light rail into the city instead of driving. Parking in downtown Phoenix is horrible. For light rail info http://www.valleymetro.org

Oh! and this is cool! You can reserve your superbowl parking spot in advance. https://superbowl.clickandpark.com

I have never been to a super bowl game, but any big sporting event in Phoenix = major traffic problems so I try to stay away from them.

Have fun! Hopefully the weather will be nice.
camden

Post by camden »

I went to a Cowboys-Dolphins Super Bowl in New Orleans in the early 70's, but my experience will offer no insight, except to show how markedly things have changed since then. The game then was far, far less of an "event" than it has become. As the most glaring of many possible examples of that, I recall on the way into the game that there were people outside the stadium who were selling tickets for LESS than face value. No kidding.
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

First, go and enjoy. I hope your boys keep those silly other birds from winning the big one in my nest.

Next... I haven't been to a Super Bowl, but my parents went to several, as did my grandfather. Get there early, but otherwise, try to enjoy it as if it were any other meaningful game. If you're in awe of where you are, you won't get to have as much fun at the action.

Lastly, have you attended a football game (not necessarily even a playoff game) in person before? It's very different from watching it on television.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

Saw the Dallas beat Denver in 78 in NO. I remember all the people and the ocean or orange RV's in the parking lots, the game not so much. You can see it better on TV, but it's more fun to be there. Enjoy, I'm envious. Hopefully this football issue won't ruin it.
Regards | Bob
AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 »

Yes, you definitely need to check out Phoenix and Scottsdale. Florence is, well, not very nice. Florence is famous (infamous, perhaps) for housing Arizona's male death row inmates. There's not much else to see or do around there. Can you find a hotel in Phoenix or Scottsdale instead of Florence?

Glendale is so-so. Westgate is so-so. I would certainly make time to see Phoenix, Scottsdale, and even head up north to Sedona and Flagstaff.

Enjoy the game, and thanks for spending your hard-earned money in Arizona!
reason-logic

Post by reason-logic »

I went last year (big Seahawks fan) and plan on attending this year also. I also used to live in Phoenix. I recommend you attend as many of the non game events as possible. If you have time, visit downtown Scottsdale, it is worth the trip. Although there are some NFL events in downtown Phoenix, there is not much else there. Remember to leave yourself plenty of travel time.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

As a diehard Browns fan I've never been to, nor likely ever will be going to, a Super Bowl. Have a good time though. From what I've heard the events the week leading up to the game are way better than the actual game itself.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

I've been to two...one in Arizona back in '96 (boo) and one in Tampa in '09 (yay).

Definitely check out the NFL experience and other festivities...it's very cool and worth the money (although I wouldn't pay an extra $30 for a pic with the trophy but that's just me). I'd also recommend getting to the stadium fairly early on game day. There was (in my experience) a great scene at and around the stadium...really fun for people watching and having a good all around experience.

The other recommendation I'd make is to lock in your transportation plans early and be clear on when/how you're getting around. In Tampa I didn't do this and got stuck waiting for a taxi for > 2 hours after the game ....not good times.

Have fun...but don't expect it to be as awesome as a home playoff game for your team (if you've attended one of those before). It's a different vibe.
Sbashore

Post by Sbashore »

p14175 wrote:Uhm.. I'd give yourself more like 2 hrs to get to go from Florence to Glendale. On Super Bowl day you might want to give yourself even more time to get there.

I hear that the NFL experience is in downtown Phoenix this year. If you go you might want to take the light rail into the city instead of driving. Parking in downtown Phoenix is horrible. For light rail info http://www.valleymetro.org

Oh! and this is cool! You can reserve your superbowl parking spot in advance. https://superbowl.clickandpark.com

I have never been to a super bowl game, but any big sporting event in Phoenix = major traffic problems so I try to stay away from them.

Have fun! Hopefully the weather will be nice.
+1. I live in the area and you should allow yourself plenty of time. There will be a lot of activity around Phoenix as well as Glendale. Traffic will probably be crazy, especially on the west side where Glendale is. If I were you, I'd plan on getting there early and allow yourself at least 2 hours. Florence is more than an hour from Glendale, even on a regular traffic day.
Steve | Semper Fi
iWantToLearn

Post by iWantToLearn »

AZAttorney11 wrote: even head up north to Sedona and Flagstaff.
I second this. These are two fantastic places.
iceport

Post by iceport »

Go Blue 99 wrote:(I'm a Patriots fan).
I'm ssssssort* of sssssssssurprised* you're willing to admit that, lately, lest your integrity be questioned. ;-)

* hiss of deflating balls
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Can't help you. Go hawks.
mlebuf

Post by mlebuf »

camden wrote:I went to a Cowboys-Dolphins Super Bowl in New Orleans in the early 70's, but my experience will offer no insight, except to show how markedly things have changed since then. The game then was far, far less of an "event" than it has become. As the most glaring of many possible examples of that, I recall on the way into the game that there were people outside the stadium who were selling tickets for LESS than face value. No kidding.
Believe it or not, I went to that very same Super Bowl. A friend was given several free tickets 2 hours before the game, called me and asked if I wanted to go. My, how things have changed.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.
denovo

Post by denovo »

petrico wrote:
I'm ssssssort* of sssssssssurprised* you're willing to admit that, lately, lest your integrity be questioned. ;-)

+1 :happy
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
Topic Author
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

petrico wrote:

Yep, I really hope I'm not feeling deflated after the game next Sunday :wink:
Billionaire

Post by Billionaire »

I won an all expenses paid trip for two to the 1997 Super Bowl. Packers beat the Patriots in New Orleans. Went with a college buddy. We spent most of our non-game time drinking in the French Quarter.
I would post a picture of my ticket, but it appears I'm not able on this site.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I am also a Patriot fan. (actually a Jets' agent exchanged bags of balls ;))
In Phoenix I liked the type of Mexican food they had there, also Margueritas.
Last edited by likegarden on Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
crg11

Post by crg11 »

Very jealous (Pats fan here too), hope you enjoy the game! Would love to go to the Super Bowl one day.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

Regardless, if your team wins or loses, tell us about your experience at the Super Bowl. :beer
Best Wishes, | Joe
twindad57

Post by twindad57 »

Yes, I went Super Bowl XLIV to watch the Saints beat the Colts. I was in a similar situation - my brother was given a pair of tickets by his employer who also covered much of our expenses.

A few tips:

1. Yes, go to the NFL experience. I think it was included in the price of the ticket on game day, and you'll want to get there very early anyway.
2. Take in the free stuff - walk around, and if it interests you, go see media alley where all the big networks will broadcast their daily shows. You'll see lots of actors, athletes, etc.
3. Take public transportation if possible, or arrange transportation. Don't drive. The one I went to was in Miami, but I live in New Orleans and work in a building next to the Superdome. Each year, security gets tighter and parking/traffic gets silly.
4. Don't bring a lot with you to the game. A jacket, a camera/phone, credit cards, and cash. You'll undoubtedly be given a lanyard for your ticket. Again, the less you carry the easier it is to get through security.

Of course, we enjoyed the game because the Saints won, and it was their first trip to the Super Bowl. Mostly it was a great experience to go with my brother, and just to soak it all in. Fans from both sides were great, the atmosphere in the days leading up was terrific, and it was just a fun time we'll always treasure.

Have a blast!
Topic Author
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

JMacDonald wrote:Regardless, if your team wins or loses, tell us about your experience at the Super Bowl. :beer
We got back late Monday night. We had an amazing weekend, highlighted by that game ending (happened on my side of the field also). Seattle fans outnumbered Pats fans by probably an 8-1 margin. They even had Seattle chants going in the bathroom during the game. Our seats were upper level, 2nd row, with a great view of the field (on about the 3 yard line). Our section was 90% Seattle fans, so that was rough to deal with for a while. The Seattle fans were friendly though and I didn’t hear a single word of trash talk the entire weekend.

Our connection also got us into the Official NFL Tailgate, which was highly impressive. Lots of high end food options, open bar, fancy desserts, 2 concert stages, a chili cook-off with 15 types of chili, Cirque-style dancers, and even massages. And everything was completely free. Apparently the general public can’t buy tickets for this event, but I’m sure they would be very expensive.

On Saturday, we went to the NFL Experience at the Phoenix Convention Center. This is basically Disney for NFL fans. I highly recommend attending this if the Super Bowl is ever in your city, especially if you have kids. It only costs $35, and it was 3 stories of entertainment, autograph signings, picture ops, etc. We saw Joe Montana there. We ended up spending 5 hours at that event.

This was also my first trip to Arizona. The first two days were rainy and chilly, but game day was 71 and sunny. We ended up staying with a friend in Scottsdale, so getting around was easy. I plan on going back there to check out some of the spa resorts with my wife.

Overall, we had a fantastic trip that I will remember forever.
SecretAsianMan

Post by SecretAsianMan »

Sounds amazing. Not to mention you'll be able to tell your grandkids you were there in person for one of the most (in)famous plays in Super Bowl history. Thanks for letting us know how it went!

SAM
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

SecretAsianMan wrote:Sounds amazing. Not to mention you'll be able to tell your grandkids you were there in person for one of the most (in)famous plays in Super Bowl history. Thanks for letting us know how it went!
Two of them! "The Juggle" and "The Butler Did It."

Glad you had fun, OP. I love Phoenix and football (as my user icon probably makes clear).
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.