Retirement in Arizona - Seeking Advice

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Bustoff

Re: Retirement in Arizona - Seeking Advice

Post by Bustoff » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:32 am

"The Villages" in Florida includes free golf for residents.

Was curious if the Dell Webb retirement communities include golf for their residents, so I just checked the golf fees at Sun City Festival. What da!
Even their "Special Resident Rate" looks really expensive. This is from their website:
Quote:
Any individual residing in a Sun City Community
by Del Webb is entitled to our very special rate of
$65.00 before 1:00pm and $52.00 after 1:00pm Monday through Sunday.
That's $130 every day the two of us play!
Playing 3 times a week would be almost $400 a week or $1600 every month.
Please tell me that can't be right ... can it?

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:35 am

Hi Bustoff,

Here's a link where you can shop and look at local green fees in Phoenix. They get very pricey in the Scottsdale area.
http://www.localgreenfees.com/phoenix/
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:02 pm

Browser wrote:Sun City area used to be nice -- about 20 years ago. Now it's swallowed up in the metro and there's too much traffic and congestion. You used to be able to do convenient shopping at lots of small close-by grocery stores and you could drive there in your golf cart. . . . live in a metro-plex then pick one with more cultural amenities than Phoenix has. It has great winter weather, that's about it IMO.

Oh, then there's the matter of healthcare. When you have thousands of seniors on Medicare packed into the same area, what's your guess about the quality of care? Sun Cities area is probably not a good place to settle for that reason alone. I haven't a clue about how to locate a competent physician out there so keep my finger crossed that I won't need one when I'm out there.
As a 21 year, very happy year - round resident of Sun City West, my impressions are very different from yours, but one thing I would take the time to address is the issue of healthcare. We moved to this community - in preference to all the other wonderful areas in Arizona - in part *because of* the excellent healthcare available to us here, an important consideration as we age. To insure this quality of health care at what had previously been uninhabited desert, the builder, Del Webb (the man, predecessor to the corporation) built a community hospital at Sun City AND at Sun City West.

Each of these has been expanded several times into large and well equipped medical centers, within minutes of every home. These hospitals, and a large population of well- and universally- insured seniors has attracted hundreds of medical providers of all kinds. My spouse now even has a doc who comes to the house! In the 21 years we have been here - and as recently as this month - we have had several occasions to be very grateful for the excellent EMTs we have, and for the close-by, well equipped hospital, each of which, by the way, is the site of a statue of Del Webb, commissioned by the satisfied and grateful residents. How many developments have erected a statue of their builder?

Midwatch

Post by Midwatch » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:10 pm

My wife and I use a slightly different "retirement" strategy, based out of Sarasota, FL. I have lived both here and near Phoenix, and can't really say which Nov. - April weather conditions I like better. But, I love Sarasota -- a small city 50 miles south of a large city (Tampa) that has lots in the way of arts, eateries, wonderful beaches and traffic that, even during the season, doesn't rival the Phoenix area. Because southwest Florida climatic conditions tend toward hot and sticky starting in May and running through October, we do one of two things to cool down. This may or may not be an option for you, but we have a very comfortable 25-foot Airstream trailer that we relocate from our back yard to either the Georgia hills or mountains much further west. This summer we're off to the Four Corners area for the international Airstream rally, and then will wander north into Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Alberta, British Columbia, etc. The great thing about an RV is you can take it where you can cool down, or see family in far-flung places. Some of the RV resorts we've stayed in around the country are phenomenal, and with gas prices falling I'm not too concerned money wise with 12 mpg.

The other benefit to living in Florida a scant three-hour drive to either Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) or Miami is that last-minute (read "inexpensive") cruises are available. On Labor Day last year, we did a repositioning cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona, Spain, then spent a month and a half in Europe, then took another cruise back (from Venice) to Fort Lauderdale. We arrived back on Nov. 3, right when the weather started getting really nice.

With regard to physical activities in Sarasota, I either bike, walk (Siesta Beach is available!), kayak, paddle board or disc golf daily (much cheaper and less crowded than the numerous nearby golf courses). Yesterday was kayaking; today was biking. Tomorrow? Having lived in Colorado for many years, I can't say much about the hiking in Florida. It's undoubtedly available, but I've concentrated on other activities. Rest assured that when I get to Colorado this summer, I'll be hitting the trails or climbing a 14er. When we go to the Georgia hills, we walk parts of the Appalachian Trail, which runs very close to the Airstream-only campground we stay at -- for $10/night full hook-ups.

If you end up being based in Arizona, the fantastic national parks, national monuments, etc., are that much closer. Hope that gives you some food of thought. Good luck with your important decision.

surveyor

Post by surveyor » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:30 pm

Threads like this make me wish I was closer to retirement. Only 20 years and/or a couple million away.

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:47 pm

Bustoff wrote:"The Villages" in Florida includes free golf for residents.

Was curious if the Dell Webb retirement communities include golf for their residents, so I just checked the golf fees at Sun City Festival. What da!
Even their "Special Resident Rate" looks really expensive. This is from their website:
Quote:
Sent PM, but for other readers: It isn't right. That's for non residents of Festival (but residents of OTHER Sun Cities).

Edited to add: Only the owners who actually play golf pay for golf in the Sun Cities. Almost everything else, however, is included in the annual recreation fee of about $400/year/person. And this means many hundreds of millions of $$ of state of the art recreational amenities and hundreds of clubs and activities, some of which do charge very nominal membership fees ($1 -$10 yearly).
Last edited by littlebird on Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:20 pm

> "The Villages" in Florida includes free golf for residents.

There's no such thing as a free lunch, or free round of golf.

If residents don't pay greens fees they pay for maintenance of the course through other fees.

And keep in mind that there is presently an excess number of golf courses; in some areas there have been recent bankruptcies. Seems to me that in retirement you do not want to be financially coupled to a money-losing enterprise.

AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:54 pm

For those complaining about the summer heat in Phoenix I would suggest that it is all relative. There's no question summer in San Diego (and other places) is better than summer in Phoenix. But give me the hot, dry summers of Phoenix over anything in Texas, Florida, Washington D.C., New Orleans, etc. I would much prefer living in an oven than a sauna.

Marmot

We have been in AZ since 1986

Post by Marmot » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:06 pm

The first summer is brutal after that it is something you get used to. We live in "Awhatukee" which is "behind" South Mountain about 10 minutes from the airport. It is quick to everything. Our AC bill runs a maximum of $380 in the summer and a mere pittance in the winter. We don't turn the heat on unless we have a finicky house guest. I would try and escape the summer heat whenever possible, it can get tough.

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:05 am

littlebird wrote:
Bustoff wrote:"The Villages" in Florida includes free golf for residents.

Quote:
Sent PM, but for other readers: It isn't right. That's for non residents of Festival (but residents of OTHER Sun Cities).
Thanks littlebird, but I searched the Sun City Festival website for the resident cost of golf at Festival. Found no information
other than what I posted above.
In fact, upon checking the other Sun City locations, I found no info re the cost of golf for residents at those locations either. Don't understand why they make it so difficult to determine the cost of such an important activity.

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:07 am

adamthesmythe wrote: "The Villages" in Florida includes free golf for residents.

If residents don't pay greens fees they pay for maintenance of the course through other fees.
When they advertise "free golf" at The Villages, everyone knows that translates to no daily "greens fees".
I think by the time most of us reach retirement age we are aware that amenities like "free golf" or the "free pool" or "free rec center" are paid through various resident HOA and CCD fees.
adamthesmythe wrote:Seems to me that in retirement you do not want to be financially coupled to a money-losing enterprise.
So your advice would be what, exactly?

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:03 am

Bustoff wrote:
adamthesmythe wrote: "The Villages" in Florida includes free golf for residents.

When they advertise "free golf" at The Villages, everyone knows that translates to no daily "greens fees".
I think by the time most of us reach retirement age we are aware that amenities like "free golf" or the "free pool" or "free rec center" are paid through various resident HOA and CCD fees.
adamthesmythe wrote:Seems to me that in retirement you do not want to be financially coupled to a money-losing enterprise.
So your advice would be what, exactly?
Simple- don't buy in a golf community. And if you do consider it, review the management of the golf course carefully.

By the way, I'm with the guy who said that golf was a good way to spoil a good walk.

For what it's worth, I own in northern Arizona, no golf, but excellent hiking nearby.

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:16 am

Bustoff wrote:In fact, upon checking the other Sun City locations, I found no info re the cost of golf for residents at those locations either. Don't understand why they make it so difficult to determine the cost of such an important activity.
Sun City West golf prices ($26-$43 - seems reasonable and the courses are well-maintained and usually fairly empty when we visit - except for the occasional coyote): http://suncitywestgolf.com/rates.html Sun City Grand (next door, and newer): http://www.grandinfo.com/page/23983~393 ... -Golf-Fees
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 12-time loser

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:43 am

BigFoot48 wrote:
Bustoff wrote:In fact, upon checking the other Sun City locations, I found no info re the cost of golf for residents at those locations either. Don't understand why they make it so difficult to determine the cost of such an important activity.
Sun City West golf prices ($26-$43 - seems reasonable and the courses are well-maintained and usually fairly empty when we visit - except for the occasional coyote): http://suncitywestgolf.com/rates.html Sun City Grand (next door, and newer): http://www.grandinfo.com/page/23983~393 ... -Golf-Fees
BigFoot you are a God...or at least a minor deity!
I had been looking on the "Dell Webb" Sun City websites. :oops:

By the way, we have included Tucson in our future-home-search trip.
Thank you.

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:40 am

Bustoff wrote:BigFoot you are a God...or at least a minor deity!
I had been looking on the "Dell Webb" Sun City websites. :oops:

By the way, we have included Tucson in our future-home-search trip.
Thank you.
Ah shucks, you are too kind. The Del Webb corp has been swallowed up by Pulte Homes but the name, and legend, lives on.

Here's an old thread on Tucson and I see I don't even have to update/edit any of my posts to make them current or correct! http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6765

Good luck on your retirement location search!
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 12-time loser

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:44 pm

Browser wrote:You might try this website to see what comes up.

http://www.findyourspot.com/
Warning - you spend a lot of time clicking on 8 pages of data, then they want a LOT of personal data from you else you go no further.

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:56 am

Well it just so happens that I will be headed to AZ next week to put our house up for sale/rent. Our house is in Carefree and is two streets over from the Boulders Resort. It's at 2500'. We're probably all of 10 miles from your friends in Troon. We moved from the SF Bay Area to Carefree in 2003. We lived there for six years relocated to Germany for three years and then moved back to our SF Bay Area house. We loved living there and originally intended to retire there but since my MIL lives in Portland and my father in San Diego County, the SF Bay Area wins for now. One reason we really liked Carefree is that we're not likely to see much more development. Just north of us is the National Forest and most of our surrounding mountains have strict development guidelines.

Your friends got a great deal on their home. I'd say that from 2011 to the present, prices have appreciated close to 50%. Actually I should say they have recovered by that much. They peaked in 2007. I'd say that we're back to prices about 2004/2005.

If you want to PM me I can e-mail a video of my house that was taken after we moved out in 2009.

We relocated to AZ for my husband's job. I was very concerned about my ability to handle the heat as I had spent most of my life in either San Diego or the SF Bay Area and no further than 5 miles from the ocean. I moved in August 2003. Nothing like getting the worst over quickly. :wink: I adapted much quicker than I ever thought possible. I was out doing 10 mile hikes in September. We do have cooler temps than the downtown Phoenix but what you really notice is the difference in night time summer temps because of the heat island effect.

My least favorite month is actually July. Because I'm a wimpy Californian I hate the build up of humidity for the monsoon. Once the monsoon starts the area comes back to life with the flora and fauna. Almost all of my friends own second homes either outside of Prescott or Flagstaff. I have others who just rent a house in San Diego at the beach. Because we own 4 properties in CA I found it most convenient to do my annual property inspections in July. 8-) I think what you'll find is that between the friends you meet and maybe a week at the beach you'll be fine.

btenny

Post by btenny » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:14 pm

See here (http://suncitygolfing.com/rcsc-golf-fees/) for the homeowners fees for golf in Sun City proper. $755 plus $5 per round or $1475 plus zero are two options. There are other choices depending on your needs.

There is also a annual Homeowners Recreation fee of $456 per home. See here (http://sunaz.com/recreation-centers/) for a link and a description of the 7 recreation centers that are paid for via this fee.

Note that Sun City West and Sun City Grand and Sun City Anthem etc. are all separate towns and Home Owner Associations and golf course associations so each has different fees and set ups and golf courses.

ChelseaP

Post by ChelseaP » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:37 pm

It's been awhile since anyone posted on this thread, and it seems due for an update, for anyone considering AZ retirement communities. My parents had lived in the Midwest and then California, and have spent their retirement years--decades--in Sun City West (SSW), longer than in any other home they shared. They've loved it: the myriad of choices for activities and facilities offered by the Recreation Centers of SSW, the friendships with other community members, and the access to retailers and medical facilities. In visiting them, I've been grateful for the warm welcome and kindness of many people I've met, including those in retail and other service providers. It's been a happy home for them--and much more affordable than their former life in California.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:56 am

It was 11 this morning. I would love to move to the NW Phoenix area.

3 school age kids and all our family in this area are keeping us anchored for the time being. Anchored in a long/cold winter.

I throw out "well..then let's all move.." as often as I can. For now we will have to settle for short vacations there.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

btenny

Post by btenny » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:33 pm

It is wonderful today. I am setting by my open back screen door. It is about 65 outside and clear and cool. The weather will be nice every day until about next May before it starts getting hot again. I live in north Phoenix/Paradise Valley suburbs in the city of Phoenix. This area used to be the edge of town. Now it is the middle of town and we have lots of traffic and freeways but we also have tons of great restaurants and stores and multiple Costcos. Yes I can drive to three Costcos easily and there are many more in other parts of town. We have about 150 green golf courses and tons of city and county parks and bike paths around the area. There are several mountains right in town so the views are nice in many directions. We also have great heath care options and lots of doctors and hospitals.

I have been in the Phoenix area "Valley of the Sun" for 40 years and Arizona for 65 years. It is a wonderful place to live and a great place to raise a family. It is a vibrant growing city with clear skies and LCOL and low taxes and nice people. The weather is great all winter but really really hot for 5 months every summer. And I mean HOT. Think blistering oven hot and with global warming it is getting hotter. But it is a dry heat. So everyone wears shorts even to work. We all have AC in our cars and homes and we move from house to car to work and basically stay inside (or in the pool) for 5 months.

We used to stay year round except for vacations. We had a pool in the back yard. We went to the beach or mountains to cool off for a week or so several times every summer. Now we leave all summer for the Sierras and the cooler weather. But we still love it here.

Good Luck.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:21 pm

Yup. Great place. I'm headed back Tuesday next for the winter. We go to Mesa, likely too downscale for a lot of folks here, but snowbirders there are my kind of people. When I want upscale I drive over to Snottsdale. Friend asked me last night "what do you DO down there?", to which my usual answer is "twice as much as I do here." Most of the communities catering to snowbirders are well organized, with a lot of events going on, and people interested in interacting with their neighbors.

You can find a community at just about any economic level you wish, from the barest of necessities to the fanciest luxury resorts.

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:57 pm

btenny wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:33 pm
. The weather is great all winter but really really hot for 5 months every summer. And I mean HOT. Think blistering oven hot and with global warming it is getting hotter. But it is a dry heat. So everyone wears shorts even to work. We all have AC in our cars and homes and we move from house to car to work and basically stay inside (or in the pool) for 5 months.

We used to stay year round except for vacations. We had a pool in the back yard. We went to the beach or mountains to cool off for a week or so several times every summer. Now we leave all summer for the Sierras and the cooler weather. But we still love it here.

Good Luck.
Your post made me smile. During the six years we lived in the greater Phoenix area (Carefree) my husband LOVED the summer because all those folks from Chicago would go home and he would get "his" town back. No waiting for dinner, the stores were no longer crowded and the parks were empty.

I'm a coastal wimp so I would ensure that our San Diego rentals always came up for renewal July 1 and I would "have to" work on them. :wink:

I do miss the summer evenings though. Lovely to be hanging out by the spa and watching the stars.

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:21 pm

btenny wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:33 pm
It is wonderful today. I am setting by my open back screen door. It is about 65 outside and clear and cool. The weather will be nice every day until about next May before it starts getting hot again. I live in north Phoenix/Paradise Valley suburbs in the city of Phoenix...
I have been in the Phoenix area "Valley of the Sun" for 40 years and Arizona for 65 years. It is a wonderful place to live and a great place to raise a family. It is a vibrant growing city with clear skies and LCOL and low taxes and nice people. The weather is great all winter but really really hot for 5 months every summer. And I mean HOT. Think blistering oven hot and with global warming it is getting hotter. But it is a dry heat. So everyone wears shorts even to work. We all have AC in our cars and homes and we move from house to car to work and basically stay inside (or in the pool) for 5 months.

Good Luck.
My point of view from someone who has rarely ever lived in the intense heat of Phoenix (been living south of the valley for almost 2 years now.

To my Pacific NW loving self, the heat starts in early April when it is flirting with 100 during the day and I have the AC on.

Late Fall (mid-Oct) to Early Spring (end of March) is great weather as it finally doesn't touch triple digits anymore. The summer may be a "dry heat", but so is the heat in my oven - you end roasted either way. For someone not used to 115+ for several days in a row, it can feel like your lungs are burning - definitely escape from June to Sep if you can. I wear shorts year round and during the "winter" I may put on a short sleeve shirt instead of a tank top (unless out at night, I wear a very light jacket at that time).

I really enjoy hiking and mtn biking South Mountain on the Ahwatukee side. The desert classic trail is a fun, non-technical trail with many paths.

Taxes are amazingly low (lowest in the West coast and mountain region outside of WY, NV and WA). Cost of living is pretty low (movie theater prices, restaurant options, utilities in most communities, groceries). Love seeing all the flowers blooming in the middle of Winter.

In a 2800 sq ft home, we spend around $375 on electricity in July and August, maybe $330 in June and Sept, $275 in May and $225 in April and Oct. Never turn on the heat. Don't even have the water heater on during the middle of summer and the water is still pretty hot. (we work from home, so our AC runs around the clock).

If you are unlucky, you'll get scorpions. All the time. Most houses don't have scorpion issues, but we were unlucky enough to get them. I've sprayed around the house every 3 months alternating pesticides every other spraying and this has helped. Unfortunately, the type of scorpion most likely to penetrate your home is also the one that is mildly dangerous (dangerous to small children and older or sick people) - the venomous bark scorpion. Our cats take care of most scorpions that we don't find for ourselves.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Sat May 26, 2018 8:14 pm

Bump for Tucson, Prescott, Sedona, Flagstaff...

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Sun May 27, 2018 5:29 pm

TxAg wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:14 pm
Bump for Tucson, Prescott, Sedona, Flagstaff...
Most of Tucson is going to be around 2500' so summers are similar to what we experienced in Carefree, 100+ degree days starting in May through September. Night temps will be in the 80s depending on how "citified" your area is based on the Heat Island effect.

Prescott is about 5000' so summer temps will reach in the mid 90s. It does snow.

Ditto for Sedona

Flag is at 7000'. Wonderful in the summer but you really do need to prepare for winter. College town so it's a true year-round location.

BTW if you want a small town with an interesting vibe check out Bisbee or Jerome. Both are former mining towns turned into artist towns.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Sun May 27, 2018 6:42 pm

^^^

100* is a deal killer. We have that here already :)

itsgot8

Post by itsgot8 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:09 am

FYI, Lake Havasu seems to be another popular destination in AZ for retirees.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:19 am

I spent 18 months in late 2000 and 2001 living in Scottsdale and then again full time from 2003 to late 2011. When I went out there in 2000 I had no real experience with AZ (only a training class sometime in the late 90s for a week) and didn't know anyone out there. I was lucky to get a per diem position and really enjoyed it.

I'm actually someone who doesn't mind snow (used to ski often, although poorly) but I detest rain and humidity all my life. I grew up in Maryland and hated most of the summer (80s and high humidity) and had grandparents in FL that I visited as a kid. While I loved Disney and the beach was ok (not a beach person) I also couldn't imagine dealing with FL's weather.

Up thread someone said 5 months of heat but I think that is greatly exaggerating. The really bad weather is sometime in July and all of August due to the humidity increasing and when it is in the 100-115 range any increase in humidity is bad. While June can get hot, at least in the Scottsdale area, the humidity is usually in the single digits. Sure if you had to work every day in the sun it may get to you but once you get into shade it isn't bad and once the evenings come it is very nice. You can sit outside w/o sweating (as you would on the east coast) and deal with as many insects around your food.

Unfortunately I moved back east for work but I am hoping to return next year if I can find the right job. I've kept my place in Scottsdale and have been able to rent it out. I plan to clean it up some and then move in since it is in a nice area (McCormick Ranch).

I'm so sick of the east coast weather and we (I live in Ellicott City, fortunately not in the old town area) just got hit with another whopper of a storm (7"+ of rain Sunday). Between power outages, flooding, ice, etc. I'm really sick of it.

I also enjoy the resort lifestyle out there. Plenty of resorts to eat, drink, listen to music or just enjoy the scenery and people watch. Sedona is near by (for me not a place I could ever live, way too slow, sleepy and artsy) with some great scenery. With PHX you can easily fly to Colorado, Utah, etc. or drive to LV or SD. Maybe it is nicer to me since I grew up on the east coast and it is still new to me.

While housing costs in parts of Scottsdale rivals homes in the MD/DC/VA, the overall cost of living is less. Property taxes are about 40% of what I pay in MD and the overall land costs seems to be reflected in stores. For example grocery items are less in AZ than MD, I'm assuming due to both lower labor costs as well as rent.

Wishing I was there now instead of another grey, humid day in MD. At least the exit is within view.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue May 29, 2018 9:34 am

Prescott reminds me of "Mayberry".

Opie and his buddies fishing by the lake and teaching girls how to skip rocks over the water.

Joe, the post office clerk, closing his window at the post office to help Aunt Bee take a few packages to the car even though there was a line. Nobody complained.

Light snows come up in the short winter and some ranchers might lose a few head of cattle. Summer might dip into the high 90's for a short time but it goes away quickly.

And, there's square dancing and line dancing down at the courthouse square just across from Whiskey Row where Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday stayed a few nights at the St Michael hotel long ago.

"Y'all stay awhile when ya come to visit. . . "

Hoss