Checklist for buying a new car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ThankYouJack

Checklist for buying a new car

Post by ThankYouJack » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:03 am

I factory ordered a new car and am getting ready to pick it up from the dealership. The out the door price has already been determined, I have financing through my credit union (although I may go with the dealership financing if they offer a better rate) and I've called my insurance company to get it ready to add to our insurance.

What should/needs to be done at the dealership?

Some things I can think of are:

Inspect the car for any scratches or dings
Test drive -- What should I look for to make sure it's not a lemon?
Sign the paperwork -- what does this involved?

I expect the process to go smoothly, but want to keep an eye out for red flags.

cheese_breath

Re: Checklist for buying a new car

Post by cheese_breath » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:15 am

ThankYouJack wrote: ... Sign the paperwork -- what does this involved?...
It involves signing and dating the paperwork where it says to.

But before signing read it thoroughly to make sure it's what you agreed to, and make sure you get a copy for yourself.

Are you getting a new plate or transferring a plate from another car? Normally the dealer will do this for you, but if you're transferring an old plate don't forget to bring it and it's current registration with you.

Also if your insurance company doesn't send a proof of insurance directly to the dealer, take a copy with you.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

mhc

Post by mhc » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:16 am

Tell the dealer not to put any of their advertisement on your car.

If you are buying a new car from a major dealer, I wouldn't worry about a lemon. States have lemon laws. Car manufacturers have warranties.

Read everything you sign.

miles2go

Post by miles2go » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:29 am

You didn't specify if you're trading in a car but if you are, bring both sets of keys, title, registrations, etc.

In the finance office (F&I office), don't let them talk you into anything "extra" such as extended warranties, paint/fabric protector, etc. Although most people on this board would never buy these anyway (present company included), if you really want any of them for some reason it's cheaper usually to do them on your own. If you really want an extended warranty, buy from the manufacturer but shop around after your purchase among dealers since many can sell direct to public even if you didn't buy a car there.

Have fun driving it off the lot!
...and [many] miles to go before I retire.

rob

Post by rob » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:48 am

mhc wrote:Tell the dealer not to put any of their advertisement on your car.
Especially the ones that are drilled/serious adhesive not just stickers....

I'm pleased I'm not the only one that demands that... the dealers I have used look at me like I have 3 heads. The last car I made them take it off before I signed the final paperwork (They didn't think I was serious when I initially said I wanted no dealer stickers on the vehicle I guess)..... Then the %^$^%$ stuck one after the first service - that was an expensive mistake for them as I've never been back.

If it was up to me there would be no car maker signs on the car either (in fact if the car is in a ding where the logos are, I have the repair shop fill the holes and repair without them)... I pay too much to advertise their stuff without a separate sponsorship agreement :D
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

miles2go

Post by miles2go » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:13 pm

rob wrote:
Especially the ones that are drilled/serious adhesive not just stickers....

I'm pleased I'm not the only one that demands that... the dealers I have used look at me like I have 3 heads. The last car I made them take it off before I signed the final paperwork (They didn't think I was serious when I initially said I wanted no dealer stickers on the vehicle I guess)..... Then the %^$^%$ stuck one after the first service - that was an expensive mistake for them as I've never been back.

If it was up to me there would be no car maker signs on the car either (in fact if the car is in a ding where the logos are, I have the repair shop fill the holes and repair without them)... I pay too much to advertise their stuff without a separate sponsorship agreement :D
Agreed -- they didn't listen when I said that last time either but quickly removed the stickers before I completed the purchase.
...and [many] miles to go before I retire.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:40 pm

Thanks for the replies. I won't be trading in anything.

I made sure that the dealership won't add any extra stickers / ads to the car and was told that they don't do that for any of the cars.
cheese_breath wrote: Are you getting a new plate or transferring a plate from another car? Normally the dealer will do this for you, but if you're transferring an old plate don't forget to bring it and it's current registration with you.
The dealership is out of state, so I'll be paying $50 for an out of state tag and then will register it in my home state (and pay the sales tax). I may get a specialized (but not personalized plate) -- so I'm not sure if that takes extra time to process. Not a big deal though if it takes extra time or doesn't work out

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:09 pm

> Test drive -- What should I look for to make sure it's not a lemon?

You can't tell if a car is a lemon on a test drive.

My advice: learn about the extras dealers try to tack on: rustproofing; sealant; extended "warranty"; unwarranted fees...

Edmunds.com, among other websites, has some good advice. Consumers Report also.

Be willing to walk out when they quote you an absurd price first time around. Don't play the game the way they want to play the game.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:22 pm

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks like this! I tell the salesperson every single time that I don't want any of their emblems, stickers, plate frames, etc. put on the car. I think they've only listened once. One time I got so annoyed that I refused to take delivery of the car unless they removed the stuff. I can usually remove the stickers or glued-on emblems with a hair dryer and not cause any damage. At least none of the dealers in my area use those metal emblems that are sort of punched through the trunk metal anymore. Used to be common in the 1980s.

skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:13 pm

Check the odometer for low mileage. You don't want the "new" car the salesmen have driven for getting coffee, dry cleaning, etc., or the "new" vehicle the sales manager's wife has used for tooling around town.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:21 pm

Obviously check the car to make sure that it is what you ordered, ie, if you ordered nav system, or heated seats etc make sure that all the extras are indeed there. Also, make sure they are not trying to add on something, do not go for any extra warantees, pin striping, etc. Probably should have a fresh wash and full tank of gas. These days cars have many techno toys, so ask for a demo of things like nav system, stereo, back up camera, hooking up phone to bluetooth, etc.
Mike

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:57 pm

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:19 pm

Depending on the brand there may be several security numbers in the paperwork you get for the locks and stereo. Be sure to not lose those since you will need them to activate new keys or reset the stereo after the battery is disconnected. If you do not have these security codes when you need them it could be expensive since these are part of the cars anti theft systems.

I scanned these and emailed them to myself so that if I was 500 miles from home and lost my keys I would be able to get a replacement key made.

Also check the VIN number on the paperwork to the number on the car. It is very rare but there have been cases where the incorrect car was given to a buyer and the mistake was not found for a long time.

sport

Post by sport » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:23 pm

The last time I bought a car, the sales agreement included a clause specifying arbitration and I would be giving up my right to sue them. Although I have never sued anyone, and have no expectation of suing a car dealer, I objected to giving up my legal rights. They insisted that I could not cross out that clause. I refused to sign. I then asked them point blank if that clause was a condition of sale. They tried not to give me a direct answer, but I persisted and eventually a manager admitted that it was not a condition of sale, and I deleted it.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:32 pm

jsl11 wrote:The last time I bought a car, the sales agreement included a clause specifying arbitration and I would be giving up my right to sue them. Although I have never sued anyone, and have no expectation of suing a car dealer, I objected to giving up my legal rights. They insisted that I could not cross out that clause. I refused to sign. I then asked them point blank if that clause was a condition of sale. They tried not to give me a direct answer, but I persisted and eventually a manager admitted that it was not a condition of sale, and I deleted it.
I like that. :thumbsup
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

davebarnes

yes, indeed

Post by davebarnes » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:54 am

I put that into the sales agreement before signing it. I make them initial it.

One time they ignored it and had to patch the trunk and then send new car to the body shop for painting. Then, I agreed to take ownership.
A nerd living in Denver

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:26 am

ThankYouJack wrote:I factory ordered a new car and am getting ready to pick it up from the dealership. The out the door price has already been determined, I have financing through my credit union (although I may go with the dealership financing if they offer a better rate) and I've called my insurance company to get it ready to add to our insurance.

What should/needs to be done at the dealership?

Some things I can think of are:

Inspect the car for any scratches or dings
Test drive -- What should I look for to make sure it's not a lemon?
Sign the paperwork -- what does this involved?

I expect the process to go smoothly, but want to keep an eye out for red flags.
What kind of car is this?

If its a first model year car and the cost of warranty extension isn't much I would do it. Especially if its one of the american or eurpoean cars as they haven't yet figured out how to test before releasing a vehicle yet :D
I would also say dealer insignia is a NO NO. Unless you actually like it. I usually say " I want $1000 if I am going to do any advertising for your dealership with that insignia" and it comes off quickly.
Buying other "protection" plans may or may not work -- We bought a tire warranty for 5 years and used it twice, which paid for itself and then some. We also had some interior and exterior warranty added and did not use it.
My wife always pushes me to ask for some FREE stuff -- something like we have given them business etc. and they should give us some things free. She usually ends up getting something (like we got the all weather mats free after the entire deal on last car).

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:00 pm

I got the new car. The saleswoman was great and everything went well other than the finance / business manager being pushy -- with our loan that was through a 3rd party and trying to sell us extended warranties. Our friend who just went through the same experience gave us a heads up about this so we new what to expect and stayed firm.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:05 pm

TheOscarGuy wrote:
What kind of car is this?
It's an Outback. After reading on the Outback specific forums and consumer reports we didn't think the extended warranty is worth the cost and especially not through this dealership. It's a red flag when anyone trying to sell anything that hard must be getting a good cut and the product must be tough to sell on it's own.

We didn't get any freebies but we got a killer deal so I'm very happy with the process.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:15 pm

When you factory order a new car, the delivery process is about as simple as it can be.
See if you can convince them to take a personal check for the $20,000+ balance due.
I think that's what Livesoft did..
Attempted new signature...

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:23 pm

The Wizard wrote:When you factory order a new car, the delivery process is about as simple as it can be.
See if you can convince them to take a personal check for the $20,000+ balance due.

Next time around, I'll probably walk in with a bank check for the exact amount that was agreed upon. If they don't want the check, I'll walk.

I don't think I'll do car loans again regardless of the low rates. The process was a bit more complex with the title since I bought the car out of state. Also a lot of the banks with the great loan rates have stipulations. Not worth the time and trouble IMO

mhc

Post by mhc » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:11 pm

The Wizard wrote:When you factory order a new car, the delivery process is about as simple as it can be.
Last time I bought a car, I wrote a $30k personal check. No problem.