Florida in the summer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TeamArgo

Re: Florida in the summer

Post by TeamArgo » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:09 am

Funny to see many people mentioning the humidity in Florida. We moved from Louisville to the NE Florida coast 4 years ago after trying out several extended visits to various FL locations. Here, the humidity IS high, but not any worse than the summer humidity in the Ohio Valley. Instead, it is the sun that is almost directly overhead that causes us problems. We have cool-ish ocean breezes morning and evenings, but clear blue intensely sunny mid-days. So we adapt, riding bikes on the beach in the mornings, reading and dining out at midday, and walking and visiting outdoor locations in the evening.
With a good slather of sunblock, we can even be active at midday with no more discomfort that we used to have in mid-July back in Kentucky. It's just that mid-July lasts from mid-May to early-October. But we trade that for a winter that lasts about six to eight weeks, seldom goes below 40 degrees at night, and has blue skies instead of dreary grey.
I saw the term "half-backs" used in a post above, but maybe you can consider northern Florida residents as "quarter-backs". :D
Does it bother anyone else that non-hyphenated is spelled like that, or that abbreviation is such a long word?

jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:52 am

eucalyptus wrote:
Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:26 pm
Climate differs inland v coast.

Another plus: lower latitude = more hours of sunlight. Compare sunset times for NYC and West Palm sometime, interesting. Today, 4:56 pm v 5:51 pm.

Travel a little in the hot months.
On average sunrises / sunsets will always be later in Florida because it is quite a bit west of NYC - West Palm is pretty much straight south of Pittsburgh, and the western Panhandle is almost as far west as Chicago.

Because of the lower latitude, winter days are longer and summer days are shorter than up north. That is one real advantage of Florida - I hate how short the winter days are in the Northeast.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:20 am

jrbdmb wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:52 am
eucalyptus wrote:

Another plus: lower latitude = more hours of sunlight. Compare sunset times for NYC and West Palm sometime, interesting. Today, 4:56 pm v 5:51 pm.

On average sunrises / sunsets will always be later in Florida because it is quite a bit west of NYC - West Palm is pretty much straight south of Pittsburgh, and the western Panhandle is almost as far west as Chicago.

Because of the lower latitude, winter days are longer and summer days are shorter than up north. That is one real advantage of Florida - I hate how short the winter days are in the Northeast.
And I would hate how short the summer evenings are in Florida. I can legit mow my lawn between 9 - 9:30 p.m. in my Minneapolis suburb in the summer. I can play catch with my son outdoors until it's time for bed in the summer. In Florida, your outdoor activities are done by 8 pm, in the summer.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:23 am

Glockenspiel wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:20 am
jrbdmb wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:52 am
eucalyptus wrote:

And I would hate how short the summer evenings are in Florida. I can legit mow my lawn between 9 - 9:30 p.m. in my Minneapolis suburb in the summer. I can play catch with my son outdoors until it's time for bed in the summer. In Florida, your outdoor activities are done by 8 pm, in the summer.
It is fantastic that you like the weather where you are - that is great , good luck with your future activities.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:34 pm

SouthernCPA wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:16 pm
Yes, you will become an amateur meteorologist during hurricane season. Pro tip: you don't need to start worrying until they send Jim Cantore to your area....
So Stephenie Abrams == No worries?

Seriously, by the time these guys and gals show up it's too late to worry in many places. It's a lot easier to get a couple of reporters in than several hundred thousand evacuees out.

Cash

Post by Cash » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:19 am

Glockenspiel wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:20 am
The sun going down early in the summer is a good thing in Florida. Then it becomes pleasant and one can sit outside and have have dinner/drinks with family/friends on the patio.

moneywise3

Post by moneywise3 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:08 am

FL negatives to consider:
High home insurance rates
Heavy traffic
Jan -feb are a mix of Fall and Spring. Trees are shedding leaves as well as pollinating
Bugs, alligators and geckos

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:44 am

This is very funny, I am the OP from 3 years ago. Well, we've since sold our home in NY and moved here full time in 2017. We absolutely love it! Summer was a bit humid but I played tennis all the time. Golf beach water reached 88 deg. Snowbirds are gone during the summer and there so much to do. We made it through the hurricane...NY had hurricanes, Nor'easters and blizzards, so no big woop. We made the right decision!
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Michread

Post by Michread » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:06 am

tennisplyr wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:44 am
This is very funny, I am the OP from 3 years ago. Well, we've since sold our home in NY and moved here full time in 2017. We absolutely love it! Summer was a bit humid but I played tennis all the time. Golf beach water reached 88 deg. Snowbirds are gone during the summer and there so much to do. We made it through the hurricane...NY had hurricanes, Nor'easters and blizzards, so no big woop. We made the right decision!

What area of Florida did you move to? Why did you chose that area? TIA

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:10 am

Michread wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:06 am
tennisplyr wrote:

What area of Florida did you move to? Why did you chose that area? TIA
We've moved to Sarasota...more low key that East coast, slightly cooler, lots of culture, great tennis.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:43 am

tennisplyr wrote:
Thanks for the update - we are not too far behind you leaving NY for Florida, hopefully within a year or less.

rai

Post by rai » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:48 am

We just bought a second home in central FL near Orlando.

The summer can be hot, but typically the early morning is nice and at least in central FL it will rain a good deal and cool off in the evening.

We live in Maryland and used to live in NJ and PA so it gets sorta hot in the summer up there anyway.

It’s not like Las Vegas where you’ll see 104+ which is brutal but dry which I don’t mind but you can really feel it when it’s 104+
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon. | | "You say that money, isn't everything | But I'd like to see you live without it." - Silverchair

sailfish2

Post by sailfish2 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:02 am

Living close to the east coast means you get a sea breeze in the evening, which cuts the humidity.
I relocated to west central Florida from Fort Lauderdale a few years ago, and I miss the evening sea breeze in summer. Summer evenings are hot and humid in the Tampa Bay area.

However, the MUCH lower cost of living in Tampa Bay makes it tolerable :?

I see OP moved to Sarasota. Good choice.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:48 am

smitcat wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:43 am
tennisplyr wrote:
Thanks for the update - we are not too far behind you leaving NY for Florida, hopefully within a year or less.

Good luck, we snowbirded here for a few years before taking the plunge.