garbage disposals - are these still used?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
montanagirl

garbage disposals - are these still used?

Post by montanagirl »

How many here use these? They were pretty common in newer houses when I was growing up in Socal, but I haven't run into any here and no one seems to ever mention them. I know they're still made.

I hate dealing with food bits in the sink but DH says absolutely no to a disposal. He used to manage apartments and he thinks they're nothing but trouble because tenants would put anything down them. But as a kid doing the dishes I got pretty good at keeping the thing clear and running. And it was much easier to keep the sink pristine.

Anyone?
JamesSFO

Re: garbage disposals - are these still used?

Post by JamesSFO »

It's regional/cultural whether to have them, we have one wouldn't live without one.
mrpotatoheadsays

Post by mrpotatoheadsays »

Absolutely. I love my Waste King L-8000.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Our's broke and we didn't do anything about it for about 5 years. Then my daughter was fed up and she replaced it for us. I think everyone should have one, but use it very rarely. They are not for just dumping stuff which should be composted. And meats and fats shouldn't go down the sink anyways. But we all know stray bits of stuff end up down there anyways, so one might as well have a disposal to crunch them up along with the spoons.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
lazyday

Post by lazyday »

ah yes, the spoons and butter knifes with their battle scarred but rugged bodies.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

I remember growing up before disposals with garbage strainers sitting in the sink so the liquid could drain out before wrapping the garbage in newspaper. That's not for me. We've had disposals in our houses since 1968 and wouldn't be without one. Of course if you're on a septic system you might have to pump the tank a little more often if you're careless about what you put down them. But if you're on sewers, hey as long as it doesn't plug the pipes let the city worry about it. :D
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Toons

Post by Toons »

We currently have a septic tank system in our home and I must admit, I miss the garbage disposal we had in our prior home
This thread has peaked my interest in researching one. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
sesq

Post by sesq »

Yup. Use ours daily. Don't put cucumber peels in though.
CABob

Post by CABob »

I didn't realize that it was a regional or cultural thing. My parents had a combination sink/dishwasher with a disposer probably about 1950. As I think about it this should have been quite surprising since we were a very frugal family. It seemed as if we were one of the first families to have a dishwasher and disposer in the neighborhood. I believe every house or apartment I have lived in since has had a disposer with the possible exception of a couple of places while a student.
We perhaps use ours a lot more than we should, but, think it is preferable to more stinky trashcans. To me it is certainly preferable to keeping stuff from going down the drain by accident.
Bob
packet

Post by packet »

cheese_breath wrote:...Of course if you're on a septic system you might have to pump the tank a little more often if you're careless about what you put down them. ...
Really?

We have a septic system, no disposal... tho I've thought it'd be nice (first place without one). Somehow, I thought it may even be beneficial to the system as you would feed the bacteria in the holding tank some extra yummies... which would encourage their growth...

Is that just wrong?

:beerCheers,
Packet
First round’s on me.
Topic Author
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

sesq wrote:Yup. Use ours daily. Don't put cucumber peels in though.
:shock: wow, really? I hope I remember that if we get one because I love my cukes.

Luckily we're in the country but on city sewer.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Had it our whole lives, and last house. Our new home didn't have one and I was appalled. After a few months, I never missed it. Glad to not have it with kids around.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

packet wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:...Of course if you're on a septic system you might have to pump the tank a little more often if you're careless about what you put down them. ...
Really?

We have a septic system, no disposal... tho I've thought it'd be nice (first place without one). Somehow, I thought it may even be beneficial to the system as you would feed the bacteria in the holding tank some extra yummies... which would encourage their growth...

Is that just wrong?

Packet
I'm not sure about feeding the bacteria (does that help or not), but our remaining vacation rental is on septic.
Obviously, we have little opportunity to monitor or enforce what goes down there.
We have it pumped regularly, and have never (yet!?) had a problem.

At home, we've always had city sewer, and have had a garbage disposal since the early 1980's.
Especially when I was cooking a lot, and for several people, I can't imagine having all the garbage around, and especially not in the hot summer with weekly pickup. Most of those years there wasn't any place to compost even if I/we had been interested in doing so.

I also didn't realize it was a regional thing.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

There's a garbage disposal in my kitchen sink, but I don't use it. Garbage goes into the compost pile. There's no meat, fish, poultry debris, since I'm a vegetarian.

What happens if you put cucumber peels in a disposal? I have the dim idea I heard celery strings wreck them, at least temporarily.
Last edited by dolphinsaremammals on Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

The stand-alone disposals are pretty rare in my area anymore. They are found mainly in kitchens from the 1970s/1980s that haven't been renovated. The in-sink disposals are popular though; I have one myself.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Cherokee8215 wrote:The stand-alone disposals are pretty rare in my area anymore. They are found mainly in kitchens from the 1970s/1980s that haven't been renovated. The in-sink disposals are popular though; I have one myself.
Hmmm... what's a "stand alone disposal"?

Googling seemed to locate stand alone dishwashers, and water disposal treatment......

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
rob

Post by rob »

livesoft wrote:Our's broke and we didn't do anything about it for about 5 years.
Same here... it was broken for prob longer than that but had a plumber in for a few other things recently so have one that works again now......
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

ResearchMed wrote: Hmmm... what's a "stand alone disposal"?

RM
Wait, I'm a moron. I was thinking of a trash compactor - built into the cabinets and sort of looks like a half-sized dishwasher. Those were popular in the 1970s and 1980s in my area.
harmony

Post by harmony »

Most newer low db dishwashers don't have integrated garbage disposers in them anymore. So having one attached to a sink drain could help with the task of scraping plates before putting them in the dishwasher. Our new dishwasher instructions say that if dishes are scraped or rinsed off first, the dishwasher filter can go much longer without being cleaned. A sink disposer can be turned on when you want it to go on. With a disposer integrated into the dishwasher (if they are even made anymore) one can't easily control when the louder disposer will be running in the course of the washing cycle.

In the apartment situation where your husband found so many garbage disposer maintenance issues, I wonder if these could have been cases of young people who grew up in a house without a disposer, then moved to an apartment with a disposer. Since this was their first experience with one, maybe they didn't realize that corn husks (or whatever) shouldn't be put in the disposer. For those who have never used a garbage disposer growing up, they may need help understanding the limits of the garbage disposer. Children growing up today may understand more about composting more than the children of my era as well; but if there isn't a garden at the apartment complex, they might want to use the garbage disposer and would need instructions on how to use it.

In a home where the users/maintainers understand the limits of the garbage disposer, breakdowns can be minimized. Still there will be things that get caught in there. The dishwashing person and the maintaining person need to talk. The advantages of a garbage disposer far outweigh the disadvantages for us since the user and maintainer have communicated. It's harder for an apartment maintenance person to find and ask for cooperation from the tenant who put the wrong stuff in the disposer. In one's own household this can be more easily managed. A dishwasher with eyes/ears open can ward off many of the potential problems.
johnubc

Post by johnubc »

Greatly depends on the septic system in use. I am currently hooked up to a sewer system and use my disposal every day.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

packet wrote:
Really?

Is that just wrong?

Packet
Generally you're correct, but note my caveat "if you're careless about what you put down them." There are a few things the little critters can't handle like egg shells and coffee grounds.
just frank

Post by just frank »

Garbage disposals are great, and def still a thing in most places. NYC had a long ban on them, and still lags but they are popular elsewhere in houses on public sewer systems.

AS I understand it, the bio-processes occurring at most sewage treatment plants rely on the calories/nutrients provided by disposal food for proper operation. Also, the overall process is about as green or greener than a popular alternative...composting, and is a lot easier.

When I got one in LA many years ago, the installer told my NYC-born wife to be sure to put a banana peel down it from time to time to 'clean' it. When she told me this, I said....'never do that, it will clog'. A few weeks later she tried it and sure enough it clogged. Same with cuke peels and other sturdy sheet-like things...never. Most useful for meat trimmings and other things that would smell bad in the garbage.

To clean, chuck in a few ice cubes with it running.
sesq

Post by sesq »

montanagirl wrote:
:shock: wow, really? I hope I remember that if we get one because I love my cukes.

Luckily we're in the country but on city sewer.

The peels are just the right shape to slip past the teeth and jam the disposal (no spinning). I have done it a couple times (slow learner). Its time consuming to dig them all out. Did it at my house and my mother's, so its not just my unit.
john94549

Post by john94549 »

Interesting thread. I've always assumed they were "standard", but maybe not. The gentleman who bought my Mom's home indicated he hated disposals, intended to rip the existing one out, and that was that. Our kids rented an apartment while renovating their new house. The disposal plugged up, and the landlord basically said "deal with it." It never was fixed.

Our recycler doles out free composting boxes. I use mine as a tool kit.

I guess disposals are going the way of Radio Shack.
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

They are big around here.
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

john94549 wrote:Interesting thread. I've always assumed they were "standard", but maybe not.
Older homes in older neighborhoods sometimes have very old cast-iron or other piping all the way to the street. Sending solids down these pipes -- even ground solids -- can cause a lot of problems.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Potato peels and eggshells can turn into glue of the worst kind after they go through your disposal. Composting for the win!
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

We use our garbage disposal regularly, just had a new InSinkErator installed. But we only use it when pieces of food disappear in it. Otherwise all kitchen waste is placed into garbage bags for curb pickup.
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

Have replaced two of them in the past ten years - nothing gets repaired, they leaked and service guy just swapped them out.
Banana peels and egg shells and onion skins supposedly should not be put in the disposal. Just the two of us so no issues (usually) with spoons or other foreign objects dropping in. In our home, the disposal has become as essential as other kitchen appliances.
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
6miths

Post by 6miths »

just frank wrote:Garbage disposals are great, and def still a thing in most places. NYC had a long ban on them, and still lags but they are popular elsewhere in houses on public sewer systems.

AS I understand it, the bio-processes occurring at most sewage treatment plants rely on the calories/nutrients provided by disposal food for proper operation. Also, the overall process is about as green or greener than a popular alternative...composting, and is a lot easier.
Toronto also has a longstanding ban on garbage disposals and they are very rare in most parts of Canada. The issue is that excess organic material going down waste water systems can put much more strain on water treatment plants and lead to nitrogen driven algae blooms in waterways where these plants empty. Composting is much more common with many people doing back yard composting and most cities (in Ontario at least) having weekly pick up of compostables.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

packet wrote:
Really?

Is that just wrong?

Packet
Ideally the only thing going into your septic tank is human waste and toilet paper ("septic safe"). The key word is "ideally". Basically you're trying to keep anything that isn't easily digested/broken down by the bacteria in the tank to a minimum. One of three things happen in your tank, 1) broken down, turned into effluent, which rises to the top and flows into your drain field, 2) not broken down and settles to the bottom of the tank and will be pumped out every few years (dependent on tank size and number of people in the household, or 3 (shudder) isn't broken down - doesn't settle - flows into your drain field, and eventually plugs it. It never hurts to be a little anal (no pun intended) about your septic system, it's not quite as robust as you think it is, and it WILL be the tail that wags the dog when it decides to quit.
reneeh63

Post by reneeh63 »

I grew up with one and every home I've had (built) has one - I use it every day. I detest stinky garbage and don't like scraping plates into the trash...down the sink it goes - no muss and no fuss. I probably wouldn't even rent an apt. without one!
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

Our rental apartment had one and we bought one when we bought our house but NEVER installed it and decided not to ever bother with it. We haven't missed it and have been fine without it for over two decades. I think H grew up without one so he never missed it. The one in our family sometimes worked and sometimes didn't so we had to be careful with what we put in it. Our kids are pretty used to not having one and I don't think any of the places they rented had a disposal. We take out the trash frequently, tied in plastic shopping bags and just throw out anything that would ordinarily go in a garbage disposal in the trash. Our trash bin is many, many gallons and emptied once/week. If H is concerned about any smells in the trash, he puts green waste (clippings from hedge, grass, etc.) into the trash and the green waste is a natural deodorizer, really!
vveat

Post by vveat »

When we bought our house it didn't have one, my husband got a unit from Home Depot and installed it. We use it regularly, but would never think of dumping food down in it - for us it's just extra help to make sure drains don't get clogged with food pieces. I hate drainers, it's so much more convenient to run the disposal unit now and then when the water drains slowly.
This was one of the things I missed most when we had 2 weeks without power after hurricane Sandy (the other thing being our coffee grinder). We have a generator, but of course only essentials were plugged in it. This certainly felt essential after cleaning the drain a few times.
davebarnes

Huh?

Post by davebarnes »

cheese_breath wrote:are a few things the little critters can't handle like egg shells and coffee grounds.
What?
I put both down our builder's special (Badger 5) disposal all the time.
The really tough item is: fish skin. It bounces around and takes forever to grind up.

When you live in the big city with a sanitary sewer system AND on a 3000 sqft lot. You dispose and don't compost.
A nerd living in Denver
cheese_breath

Re: Huh?

Post by cheese_breath »

davebarnes wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:are a few things the little critters can't handle like egg shells and coffee grounds.
What?
I put both down our builder's special (Badger 5) disposal all the time.
The really tough item is: fish skin. It bounces around and takes forever to grind up.

When you live in the big city with a sanitary sewer system AND on a 3000 sqft lot. You dispose and don't compost.
I'm referring to the critters in a septic tank.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

My garbage disposal has been broken for years. I don't really miss it. I have a container in the freezer for scraps that might stink up the garbage can between pickups (such as meat scraps). I empty that out on the night before trash pickup. It's easier than dealing with the disposal getting clogged or rusting.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

We have one. We think we need it. We have compost bins and we try to compost most of our vegetable waste, and big things like bones and chicken carcasses go in the garbage, but we still need a disposal. In part it's because our ultra-efficient water-conserving dishwasher... doesn't work very well, and it's important to prerinse.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
DFrank

Post by DFrank »

We have one. We are on a septic system, so we generally do not put large quantities of any thing into the disposal. We compost most of the leftovers from cutting veggies, etc. We find that the disposal is useful for dealing with the little stuff that gets rinsed off of dishes, pots and pans before putting in the dishwasher or hand washing. I'd estimate we run it for 15-30 seconds every couple days, so not that often.
Dave
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

dodecahedron wrote:Potato peels and eggshells can turn into glue of the worst kind after they go through your disposal. Composting for the win!
I wonder how they compare with the pasta my wife thought our disposal could handle. It only took about three trips from the plumber to unclog our pipes before she believed me and quit dumping that. Same with hot grease--though that was not a disposal issue :oops:
ivyhedge

Post by ivyhedge »

Use ours daily, too, and living in cities for the last twenty years means we've always had them - and loved them. Only problem was I once overheated one and had to reset it after munching through the offal of a large dinner party. Never had problems with cucumber peels, though!
Polymath.
Topic Author
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

likegarden wrote:We use our garbage disposal regularly, just had a new InSinkErator installed. But we only use it when pieces of food disappear in it. Otherwise all kitchen waste is placed into garbage bags for curb pickup.
Yeah I wouldn't be using one to take the place of the garbage can, just to be able to let the food bits go on down without having to scrape them out, dump them on a paper towell and throw them away. Maybe I didn't make that clear to DH.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

We've always relied on them. In fifteen years, I've had to open the drain twice for onion peel clogs. They work fine as long as you understand the limits.
hmw

Post by hmw »

6miths wrote:
just frank wrote:Garbage disposals are great, and def still a thing in most places. NYC had a long ban on them, and still lags but they are popular elsewhere in houses on public sewer systems.

Toronto also has a longstanding ban on garbage disposals and they are very rare in most parts of Canada. The issue is that excess organic material going down waste water systems can put much more strain on water treatment plants and lead to nitrogen driven algae blooms in waterways where these plants empty. Composting is much more common with many people doing back yard composting and most cities (in Ontario at least) having weekly pick up of compostables.
Really? There is a ban in Toronto? My in-laws house in Vancouver and my parents' in Calgary both have garbage disposals.

I like my garbage disposal and never had a problem.
WHL

Post by WHL »

I've never lived in a house or apartment without one and I immediately think "WTF" when I go to someone's house and see that they don't have one. I've read articles of utility companies asking their customers to utilize the garbage disposal more frequently in order to get more organic material into the works. Interesting to hear that some areas have bans.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

WHL wrote:... I've read articles of utility companies asking their customers to utilize the garbage disposal more frequently in order to get more organic material into the works...
:shock: Did they say why they want more organic materials into the works? Don't our toilets supply more than enough? :confused
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

Heavens! We've always had a disposal, and I can't imagine functioning without one. Three clogs in 45 years!

On the other hand, we've never had an electric can opener, and everyone else thinks that's bizarre!
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

We use our garbage disposal almost daily and find it very useful.
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

obgraham wrote:Heavens! We've always had a disposal, and I can't imagine functioning without one. Three clogs in 45 years!
On the other hand, we've never had an electric can opener, and everyone else thinks that's bizarre!
agree with both points :happy
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

For garbage disposal maintenance issues, don't forget that Mr. Obvious is the first one to contact.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ