[Purchasing a] shopping cart

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dolphinsaremammals

[Purchasing a] shopping cart

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:26 pm

So I did a number on my leg, and am hobbling around on crutches. I'm looking to buy one of those shopping carts elderly people take to the supermarket so I can drag groceries from my car to the house. I see lots of them for sale online, but the reviews on amazon read like they're all trash - wheels come off, wires break, etc. Plus apparently they need assembly, even the foldable ones which I'd think they could ship flat, and the assembly is a pain in the neck. Anyone have one of these that they like?

davebarnes

Be smart AND cheap

Post by davebarnes » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:11 pm

[OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek]
A nerd living in Denver

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: [Purchasing a] shopping cart

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:43 pm

Are you looking for something to push while you're on crutches (like a supermarket shopping cart)? Or, are you looking for something afterwards (can walk without crutches, but carrying stuff is difficult)?

I retitled the thread.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:49 pm

I just thought that a cart was needed to unload the car at home. At the grocery store, the staff would load the car.

Even a child's wagon would do the trick at home. Or a collapsible stroller.

If you were my neighbor, I would be helping you without you having to ask.
Last edited by livesoft on Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:54 pm

livesoft wrote:I just thought that a cart was needed to unload the car at home. At the grocery store, the staff would load the car.

I can load and unload the car. I can stand without crutches for a few minutes and have the okay to do so.

A child's wagon would not work, because I want to drag it up several stairs to the house entrance.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:20 pm

dolphinsaremammals wrote:
livesoft wrote:I just thought that a cart was needed to unload the car at home. At the grocery store, the staff would load the car.

I can load and unload the car. I can stand without crutches for a few minutes and have the okay to do so.

A child's wagon would not work, because I want to drag it up several stairs to the house entrance.
I would think any type of shopping cart would be too heavy empty much less full to drag up stairs. Is this a temporary condition, if so in my area the grocery stores will deliver your order to you house. I would bet this would even be cheaper then a grocery cart.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

fposte

Post by fposte » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:52 pm

A colleague got one from The Container Store years ago that she loves and that's held up well. Of course they don't have that model any more, but it might be worth looking there--what they did have online seemed pretty solid (though I suspect that they would still require assembly--shipping could get pretty prohibitive otherwise).

Good luck on a speedy recovery.

Mingus

Post by Mingus » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:51 am

Come visit my neighbor's house. When I was there last week, he had something like four grocery carts out behind his garage in the alley. If they are still there, I'm sure you could take at least one if not all of them.

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:10 am

fposte wrote:A colleague got one from The Container Store years ago that she loves and that's held up well. Of course they don't have that model any more, but it might be worth looking there--what they did have online seemed pretty solid (though I suspect that they would still require assembly--shipping could get pretty prohibitive otherwise).

Good luck on a speedy recovery.
Thanks. I found two there that look good. The best seeming one, in this photo, is out of stock, so I will probably go with an alternative. That one weighs ten pounds empty, the one I'd prefer, 8 pounds. I like that both have sturdy looking front wheels, unlike the tiny front wheels on the cheaper styles elsewhere.

Besides groceries that do deliver in my area, I have other stuff to buy like from the vet cases of canned cat food. Also rubbish to take out for curbside collection. This will also be useful for general getting stuff from the car to the house even without the leg problem as it will reduce trips.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:21 am

So why not use a piece of luggage like a roll-aboard? Or a backpack with wheels?

Should we ask why you are even driving?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:54 am

livesoft wrote:So why not use a piece of luggage like a roll-aboard? Or a backpack with wheels?

Should we ask why you are even driving?
Hard to fit grocery bags in a piece of luggage or backpack.

The ortho doctor says I can drive. I'm a two footed driver. If I were a one foot type, no. I was astonished myself, but he even wants me to put some weight on it when walking. The break is at the top of the gas pedal leg.

heikejohn1

Post by heikejohn1 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:05 am

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/medic ... ArdZ8P8HAQ

How about this one? Looks pretty sturdy and is light weight.
Drive Medical Rolling Shopping Cart RTL8554, Aluminum Cart, Green
(Or in the German language "Rentner Mercedes") :happy
The Rolling Shopping Cart by Lifestyle Essentials is extra lightweight, 100% aluminum shopping cart folds easily for storage. Ergonomically correct handles have 2 hooks to hold extra shopping bags. Bags are removable and can hold up to 50 lbs. Limited 6 Month Warranty. Height: 38"; Width (Open): 14.25"; Length (Open) 13"; Width (Folded): 6"; Bag Height: 28"; Bag Width: 9.5"; Bag Length: 13"; Bag Material: Canvas; Weight w/ Bag: 4.2lbs; Weight w/o Bag: 2.4lbs; Wheel Diameter: 6"

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:22 am

Thanks. I think I would have trouble getting stuff out of it. I am not big on bending over at the moment :D

The Container Store local store has the one I mentioned above in stock, so I'm off to get that. Thanks everyone.

Carlton

Post by Carlton » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:01 pm

I bought my mom something like this. If you want to pull it up stairs, you need the large rear wheels. The cheaper shopping cars are pretty junky, you tend to get what you pay for. Assembly on these usually just requires a hammer to snap the rear wheel axle retainer on, as they are shipped with the larger wheels stowed flat.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Easy-Wheels-S ... ethod=p13n

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:50 pm

Another possibility (depending on quantity of groceries, etc.) might be one of those folding boxes with handle and wheels that you can get at Stapes, Office Depot, etc. They have a top. so they can be used as a strong storage container (push down the handle).

aerofreaky11

Post by aerofreaky11 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:59 pm

Costco has a quality cart. If you are a member...basically lifetime warranty.

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:29 pm

So I bought The Container Store one pictured above, and went grocery shopping. It worked well, and will be useful in the house as well, but it's a complete zero on uneven ground like grass. I took a short cut from the garage to the house where there's no path, and the only way I could get it to budge on the grass was to pull it by the bar-like thing on the front. So that's what that's for. :) It went up the stairs okay. In future, no shortcuts.

fposte

Post by fposte » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:32 pm

Wow, you move fast for somebody on crutches! I'm glad it seems to have been at least somewhat helpful.

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:51 pm

fposte wrote:Wow, you move fast for somebody on crutches! I'm glad it seems to have been at least somewhat helpful.
It's easy to get depressed about limitations, esp. when there was muttering about arthritis being part of this. So I sort of wanted to get a lot of errands accomplished today, just to see if I could do it.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:52 pm

When I was on crutches years ago, I'd shop in small amounts and just put it in a backpack. There are also reusable shopping bags designed to be slung over the shoulders. Maybe that would work.

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:00 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:When I was on crutches years ago, I'd shop in small amounts and just put it in a backpack. There are also reusable shopping bags designed to be slung over the shoulders. Maybe that would work.
Ten pound bags of kitty litter. twelve packs of Coca Cola, :D

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:45 pm

dolphinsaremammals wrote:
Mudpuppy wrote:When I was on crutches years ago, I'd shop in small amounts and just put it in a backpack. There are also reusable shopping bags designed to be slung over the shoulders. Maybe that would work.
Ten pound bags of kitty litter. twelve packs of Coca Cola, :D
I regularly carry more than 10 pounds in my backpack. And the over-the-shoulder totes are rated up to 40 pounds and can hold items about 13" to 15" tall and about 14" to 19" wide, depending on model. Grocery clerks are often amazed at how much they can stuff into one of my ChicoBags, and I only have the 25 pound rated model.

This was also why I said I shopped small. I made sure to only buy what I could carry back in, and used online ordering to deliver the rest to my door (I lived in a gated complex at the time, so either I had to be there to meet the delivery person and could ask them to set it inside the door or the manager received it and was more than willing to bring it inside the apartment for me).

But then I was on "no weight bearing" orders for a while. So I had no option of hobbling along with a shopping cart and I had to make do with backpacks and totes.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:12 pm

Since this is only temporary, could let someone else bring in your groceries.

A quick search for "grocery home delivery" implies WalMart and Safeway offer this service. Didn't look further.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.