Retirees: Do you work part-time for pay?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tennisplyr

Re: Retirees: Do you work part-time for pay?

Post by tennisplyr » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:00 pm

chaz wrote:
Dasnyc wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:I have been retired for 3.5 months. While I hold some credentials that would enable me to find a part-time or a full-time job fairly easily, I have absolutely no desire to use this ability. There is much more to life than working.

Victoria
+1
+2

Yep, working is overrated.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

chaz

Post by chaz » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:03 pm

tennisplyr wrote:
chaz wrote:
Dasnyc wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:I have been retired for 3.5 months. While I hold some credentials that would enable me to find a part-time or a full-time job fairly easily, I have absolutely no desire to use this ability. There is much more to life than working.

Victoria
+1
+2

That's why I quit working. :)
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:55 pm

chaz wrote:
tennisplyr wrote:
chaz wrote:
Dasnyc wrote:

Victoria
+1
+2

👏👏👏👏
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

chuck h

Post by chuck h » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:54 pm

Retired from finance and accounting 6+ yrs ago at age 62. Now I drive a delivery van on Tuesdays for beer money that is not needed, serve as a caregiver to a disabled sister on Wednesdays and Fridays to help her from avoiding a nursing home, prepare 30 or so tax returns for free for friends and family every year, and meet with fellow retirees and friends in-between for many social events.
My life is much fuller than when I worked 40 hr per week for my employer and I could never go back to the grind of working full time. I actually look forward to a day of the week when I have nothing to do.
Bottom line, for me it is not about the money working part time in retirement, but about helping others and maintaining a social presence.

BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:49 am

This is kind of like asking the question

Smokers: How did you quit?

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:54 am

chaz wrote:
tennisplyr wrote:
chaz wrote:
Dasnyc wrote:

Victoria
+1
+2

Instead of calling it "part-time work in retirement," I consider it "part-time retirement."
- Part-time work in retirement seems innocent, implying the best of both worlds.
- Part-time retirement distils the essence of working in retirement as corrupting the retirement.

When one is working, some external entities claim one's present time, future schedules, and the intellectual capacity. One is obligated to be in certain places, at certain times, and perform certain activities that are not chosen by him. Critically, he is denied being in other places during these times, performing activities chosen by him, and his planning is curtailed by the obligations of employment.

The only exception I can think of is freelance writing, where one is able to write or not to write as he pleases, and the income from writing is irrelevant to his wellbeing.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Naismith

Post by Naismith » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:14 am

VictoriaF wrote: When one is working, some external entities claim one's present time, future schedules, and the intellectual capacity. One is obligated to be in certain places, at certain times, and perform certain activities that are not chosen by him. Critically, he is denied being in other places during these times, performing activities chosen by him, and his planning is curtailed by the obligations....
Victoria
Um, this applies to so much more than paid employment, though. Commitments to family (immediate and extended) and volunteer organizations also make those same kinds of demands.

About the only way for some of us to reach that state of uncommitted nirvana would be to divorce and give up all interests. Oh wait, isn't retirement supposed to allow more time for those very things?

I assumed that when we reached the empty nest stage of our family, my weekly schedule would totally go away, we would no longer have to have dinner every night at a certain time, and I would be free to attend a 6 p.m. lecture on campus or go to a 5:30 aerobics class or various other fun things that I had been looking forward to... Well no, people in the family had different assumptions, and since we feed extended families some nights, it isn't so simple. We are working this out (oops, pun!), but I find these negotiations about our dreams and priorities to be more emotionally exhausting than it would be to pick up a few shifts of part-time work, which is what I plan to do after retirement from my professional job.

Since the family commitments will remain as long as grandparents and children and grandchildren live, does this mean that I will never retire?

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:39 am

Naismith wrote:Since the family commitments will remain as long as grandparents and children and grandchildren live, does this mean that I will never retire?
Some commitments are unavoidable such those to aged parents who need your help. Other family commitments are voluntary rituals that can be maintained, changed, or discontinued depending on how much value you derive from them.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

tuckeverlasting

Post by tuckeverlasting » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:25 pm

Retirees: Do you work part-time for pay?

No, taking care of my health is already a part-time job (with a very big payoff), and that comes before anything else. For the first time in my life I have time and resources to take care of me and only me.

Besides that, I get to do everything I want, and nothing (well, almost) I don't! --so how is that a bad thing? :happy
It's Good To Be A Boglehead