Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
WHL
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:22 pm

Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting?

Post by WHL » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:55 pm

I have a 670 sq.ft., 1bd 1 ba condo. I had a well recommended painting company provide me with a quote to do the walls and ceilings. Quoted price is roughly $1800. Ceiling will be white and three other colors will be used. My place is empty, I haven't moved in yet, so no furniture for them to move. They said they will do two coats on all surfaces.

I also had him give me another quote for all trim work, casings, window sills, etc. $2200. Sand, clean, prime, and three coats of paint.

All of this will be done with a high quality Sherwin Williams paint.

It seems expensive, but I'd rather have a high quality job the first time. What say you?

User avatar
mhc
Posts: 3771
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:18 pm
Location: NoCo

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by mhc » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:01 pm

You should get at least three quotes. It will give you a better feel for the cost in your market.

leonard
Posts: 5993
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:56 am

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by leonard » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:05 pm

WHL wrote:I have a 670 sq.ft., 1bd 1 ba condo. I had a well recommended painting company provide me with a quote to do the walls and ceilings. Quoted price is roughly $1800. Ceiling will be white and three other colors will be used. My place is empty, I haven't moved in yet, so no furniture for them to move. They said they will do two coats on all surfaces.

I also had him give me another quote for all trim work, casings, window sills, etc. $2200. Sand, clean, prime, and three coats of paint.

All of this will be done with a high quality Sherwin Williams paint.

It seems expensive, but I'd rather have a high quality job the first time. What say you?
670 sq ft. I haven't painted for a long time - but $1.8k seems like a lot of money. How much actual time did they quote to do that job?

And, does the trim work need to be sanded and primed? is it new trim? I don't see why all that would be necessary unless it's brand new wood or seriously warped or damaged.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

WHL
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by WHL » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:13 pm

mhc wrote:You should get at least three quotes. It will give you a better feel for the cost in your market.
I've got another company coming in Saturday.

pointyhead
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:38 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by pointyhead » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:15 pm

Seems really high to me considering I paid $2500 for a 3B/2B about 1800 sq foot. Bathrooms and Kitchen are cut up quite a bit so it wasn't just big walls. The price included Sherwin Williams paint and two painters.
Last edited by pointyhead on Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WHL
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by WHL » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:17 pm

leonard wrote:
WHL wrote:I have a 670 sq.ft., 1bd 1 ba condo. I had a well recommended painting company provide me with a quote to do the walls and ceilings. Quoted price is roughly $1800. Ceiling will be white and three other colors will be used. My place is empty, I haven't moved in yet, so no furniture for them to move. They said they will do two coats on all surfaces.

I also had him give me another quote for all trim work, casings, window sills, etc. $2200. Sand, clean, prime, and three coats of paint.

All of this will be done with a high quality Sherwin Williams paint.

It seems expensive, but I'd rather have a high quality job the first time. What say you?
670 sq ft. I haven't painted for a long time - but $1.8k seems like a lot of money. How much actual time did they quote to do that job?

And, does the trim work need to be sanded and primed? is it new trim? I don't see why all that would be necessary unless it's brand new wood or seriously warped or damaged.
I believe he said three days for the walls and ceilings.

The trim is all currently wood, with some type of clear coat i believe. I am completely changing the color scheme and want all trim work white. The wood isn't damaged, but I'm sure it is the original ~14 year old installation.

Edit: a portion of the trim is new. Crown moulding and some half round and other decorative pieces added to the baseboards.

User avatar
Kosmo
Posts: 1285
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:54 am
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by Kosmo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:23 pm

High, but not completely ridiculous. Good paint is expensive.

At only 670 sf, why not do it yourself?

davebo
Posts: 784
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:02 am

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by davebo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:38 pm

I just had my house painted last year and I had him paint the kitchen, living room, dining room, 2 bathrooms, entryway, and 3 bedrooms. In addition, he did the baseboards and trim around the doors. The total for the work was $1825 plus I paid another $300-ish for paint. All in all, probably around 1800 SF of space. They did not paint the ceilings.

I think the price seems high personally, but get a few more quotes and you'll know for sure. My guy has given me good quotes because both times it's been a fairly large job and I live close to his house. He quoted a friend about 20 miles away that lives in a small condo and the price wasn't nearly as good.

killjoy2012
Posts: 1044
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:30 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by killjoy2012 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:39 pm

When I had 3 rooms (standard 8' ceilings) of my house painted a few years ago, I got quotes from about 6 contractors. I provided the paint -- they were painting the ceiling (off white), walls (color), and trim. The labor quotes ranged from $300 to $3000, no joke. I went with one that was about $900, so if you figure 8-10 gallons of good SW paint on top of that (at $75/gallon), your $1800 is not that far off. The trim price sounds a little steep unless they are in that bad of shape and need that much TLC before painting.

The problem with hiring "professional painters" is that anyone with a working eye and hand can call themselves that, which is why the prices range so much. And if you've done your fair share of painting over the years, part of what you need to wrestle with is cost vs. knowing & living with "cut corners" (e.g. stuff you notice because you've done before yourself).

leonard
Posts: 5993
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:56 am

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by leonard » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:47 pm

WHL wrote:
leonard wrote:
WHL wrote:I have a 670 sq.ft., 1bd 1 ba condo. I had a well recommended painting company provide me with a quote to do the walls and ceilings. Quoted price is roughly $1800. Ceiling will be white and three other colors will be used. My place is empty, I haven't moved in yet, so no furniture for them to move. They said they will do two coats on all surfaces.

I also had him give me another quote for all trim work, casings, window sills, etc. $2200. Sand, clean, prime, and three coats of paint.

All of this will be done with a high quality Sherwin Williams paint.

It seems expensive, but I'd rather have a high quality job the first time. What say you?
670 sq ft. I haven't painted for a long time - but $1.8k seems like a lot of money. How much actual time did they quote to do that job?

And, does the trim work need to be sanded and primed? is it new trim? I don't see why all that would be necessary unless it's brand new wood or seriously warped or damaged.
I believe he said three days for the walls and ceilings.

The trim is all currently wood, with some type of clear coat i believe. I am completely changing the color scheme and want all trim work white. The wood isn't damaged, but I'm sure it is the original ~14 year old installation.

Edit: a portion of the trim is new. Crown moulding and some half round and other decorative pieces added to the baseboards.
3 days?!? As has been suggested, get a few more estimates. Unless you have tall ceilings or something else making this complicated, that is a crazy estimate. Used to do 2 and 3 bedroom apartments (much larger than 700 sq ft) with 2 or 3 people in about 3 hours. Sometimes faster. This seems like way, way too much time and money.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

HawkeyeJD
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:03 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by HawkeyeJD » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:54 pm

WHL wrote:I have a 670 sq.ft., 1bd 1 ba condo. I had a well recommended painting company provide me with a quote to do the walls and ceilings. Quoted price is roughly $1800. Ceiling will be white and three other colors will be used. My place is empty, I haven't moved in yet, so no furniture for them to move. They said they will do two coats on all surfaces.

I also had him give me another quote for all trim work, casings, window sills, etc. $2200. Sand, clean, prime, and three coats of paint.

All of this will be done with a high quality Sherwin Williams paint.

It seems expensive, but I'd rather have a high quality job the first time. What say you?
Seems about right, at least not outrageous. Have to remember that sqft here is not the best measure, they are looking at total painted surface area. 670 sq ft of walls is one thing, but add in the ceilings and you might increase painted surface area quite a bit (you can do the numbers for your own dimensions).

I'm having our kitchen, family room, office, and dining room painted (walls, not ceiling) which is about 1000 sq ft. Added in some minor trim work to frame out some pictures. Using Sherwin Williams paint. Median bid was $2050 for the entire project estimated at 4 days of work. Comes from reputable company with 2 year warranty and an hour with a color consultation person in your home to pick out colors. I'd be willing to bet my 1000 sq ft of painted walls is close to your 670 sq ft but including ceilings.

One thing that I noted when I got quotes was that the cost of doing the ceilings was quite high - and I imagine would be a lot more with 3 coats of paint on the ceiling. Maybe you could take out the ceilings and see if that helps the cost?

HawkeyeJD
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:03 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by HawkeyeJD » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:59 pm

leonard wrote:
WHL wrote:
leonard wrote:
WHL wrote:I have a 670 sq.ft., 1bd 1 ba condo. I had a well recommended painting company provide me with a quote to do the walls and ceilings. Quoted price is roughly $1800. Ceiling will be white and three other colors will be used. My place is empty, I haven't moved in yet, so no furniture for them to move. They said they will do two coats on all surfaces.

I also had him give me another quote for all trim work, casings, window sills, etc. $2200. Sand, clean, prime, and three coats of paint.

All of this will be done with a high quality Sherwin Williams paint.

It seems expensive, but I'd rather have a high quality job the first time. What say you?
670 sq ft. I haven't painted for a long time - but $1.8k seems like a lot of money. How much actual time did they quote to do that job?

And, does the trim work need to be sanded and primed? is it new trim? I don't see why all that would be necessary unless it's brand new wood or seriously warped or damaged.
I believe he said three days for the walls and ceilings.

The trim is all currently wood, with some type of clear coat i believe. I am completely changing the color scheme and want all trim work white. The wood isn't damaged, but I'm sure it is the original ~14 year old installation.

Edit: a portion of the trim is new. Crown moulding and some half round and other decorative pieces added to the baseboards.
3 days?!? As has been suggested, get a few more estimates. Unless you have tall ceilings or something else making this complicated, that is a crazy estimate. Used to do 2 and 3 bedroom apartments (much larger than 700 sq ft) with 2 or 3 people in about 3 hours. Sometimes faster. This seems like way, way too much time and money.
One thing to keep in mind is location. Not sure where the OP is but in some areas things just cost a lot more and that includes painting and other semi-skilled professional jobs.

I've also had a few "crews" come and paint a few rentals real quick and for low $$, but was never happy with the results, and once they are gone, you never find them again. I don't mind paying a bit more for a warranty from an established company, someone that actually answers the phones, and a good walk through with a supervisor before signing off on the finished product and paying.

As to your comment that 3 people can paint an apartment larger than 700 sq ft in 3 hours, that just seems really quick to me and I would be concerned that attention to detail among other things. Might be fine if rooms are all one color and minimal taping and other things that take time, or there are no windows or other things to slow you down, but my family room, office, and dining room alone have 12 windows, various moldings, and all kinds of other obstacles that I would wholly expect to take time to ensure the work is done properly and clean, you know, like no roller marks on the ceiling etc.,

Robert44
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:33 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by Robert44 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:00 pm

if that price includes the paint and all other supplies, I think it is very reasonable. I live in the Midwest. Sounds reasonable to me.

Ninegrams
Posts: 557
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:12 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by Ninegrams » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:03 am

WHL wrote:I have a 670 sq.ft., 1bd 1 ba condo. I had a well recommended painting company provide me with a quote to do the walls and ceilings. Quoted price is roughly $1800. Ceiling will be white and three other colors will be used. My place is empty, I haven't moved in yet, so no furniture for them to move. They said they will do two coats on all surfaces.

I also had him give me another quote for all trim work, casings, window sills, etc. $2200. Sand, clean, prime, and three coats of paint.

All of this will be done with a high quality Sherwin Williams paint.

It seems expensive, but I'd rather have a high quality job the first time. What say you?
Get multiple quotes for sure. Unless your going from a dark to light colors and/or from oil to latex then sanding/priming should be optional unless the surface is in really bad shape. Three topcoats seems like overkill, especially with a high quality paint, two should be more than adequate.

Mingus
Posts: 641
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:25 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by Mingus » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:04 am

It might be high, it might be really low.

There is a huge range in quality from one painter to the next.

I can't believe some of the responses in this thread... A good paint job is a lot of money, and takes a lot of time. And a lot of prep. It is not unreasonable at all the painter wants to sand and prime the trim.

I know its the "in thing" now to paint clear wood trim white, but I suggest you rethink that.

User avatar
stemikger
Posts: 4909
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:02 am

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by stemikger » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:24 am

When I had the interior of my house painted I was amazed how different the estimates were from one another. I went with the cheapest quote and that was a mistake. It might be on the high side especially since the apartment is empty. At 670 sq. feet, you can knock that out in a weekend or two yourself. The only reason why I didn't paint mine on my own is because it is 4 levels and some of the ceilings are really high.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

WHL
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by WHL » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:51 am

Mingus wrote:It might be high, it might be really low.

There is a huge range in quality from one painter to the next.

I can't believe some of the responses in this thread... A good paint job is a lot of money, and takes a lot of time. And a lot of prep. It is not unreasonable at all the painter wants to sand and prime the trim.

I know its the "in thing" now to paint clear wood trim white, but I suggest you rethink that.
I'll post pictures of the place later, when I get back to the hotel. Maybe then you'll see why I must do something with the trim.

adamthesmythe
Posts: 2280
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:47 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:54 am

I've always done interior painting myself. Easy and relaxing. This is one of the last things I would hire someone to do.

livesoft
Posts: 62776
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by livesoft » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:58 am

Ceilings, two coats of paint, three coats on the trim. Make sure you compare coats to coats.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

investingdad
Posts: 1427
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by investingdad » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:10 am

We finished a portion of our basement last year and it was about 700 ft2. We hired the original builder of our home as the general contractor for the project based on quality of work. I decided to do the painting myself, here's a listing of scope that I had to take care of:

- horsehair brush the walls; I had bare drywall and joint compound to deal with. I ended up light sanding everything myself even though it was already prepped.
- the work to sand and brush is not trivial and you indicate this is part of the scope
- roll one coat primer to seal the walls, ceiling, moulding, etc. Brush to cut-in the corners.
- two coats color; ceiling was one color, most of the walls another color, one large accent wall a different color
- paint the moulding; lots of trim work including MDF wraps around the metal columns, the staircase spindles, etc
- stain the oak handrail and trim for the staircase

I've done a lot of painting before and knew what I had in store. It came out FANTASTIC because this is our second house and I've got painting down to a science. I did it myself with my wife doing the base moulding and spindle work. I needed a week, four full time days and the balance painting at night.

I spend about $400 on materials...paint, rollers, new brushes, Frog Tape, etc.

Quote from the builder? $2500

My estimate if I gone direct to a painter (we had the foyer done since it's two story, I painted the rest of the house myself) would be ~$2000 since our builder had a mark-up on it. Your estiamte of $2200 may be a few hundred dollars on the high side, but it doesnt' sound unreasonable to me.

carolinaman
Posts: 3280
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:56 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by carolinaman » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:50 am

These quotes seem very high. Painting that size condo is a good DIY project, especially considering that it is empty which makes it that much easier. If you can take the time, you could save yourself $4,000 (minus paint & supplies) by doing it yourself. You should be able to do the walls and ceilings in 2 to 3 days. The trim may take longer depending upon condition and amount of sanding and prep required.

If you still have to hire this work, please get at least 2 more quotes and make sure everyone knows you are getting multiple quotes.

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 19289
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:17 am

$500 a room is usually a decent paint job - no painter is perfect, believe me. Also, 2 coats of paint is not sufficient - it should be a coat of primer first (not the inclusive primer/color stuff - it's not the same), then 2 coats of paint. I had mine done last year using Benjamin Moore paint - primer, 2 coats of paint - 2 bathrooms and a living room, cost a tad bit over $1,500 - but a tad.

Trim is a PIA to sand and finish, so I couldn't give you a direction there, it's time intensive if they are meticulous in their work.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

investingdad
Posts: 1427
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by investingdad » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:19 am

johnep wrote:These quotes seem very high. Painting that size condo is a good DIY project, especially considering that it is empty which makes it that much easier. If you can take the time, you could save yourself $4,000 (minus paint & supplies) by doing it yourself. You should be able to do the walls and ceilings in 2 to 3 days. The trim may take longer depending upon condition and amount of sanding and prep required.

If you still have to hire this work, please get at least 2 more quotes and make sure everyone knows you are getting multiple quotes.
I don't think it's that high, to be honest, per my prior post. For a quality job, needing sanding, several colors, lots of tape and cut, that's a lot of work to bang out about 700 ft2. Assuming you are hiring a small business, I think 2.5 days with a two person crew is about right. If you assume $500 in materials (very reasonable if the OP is getting high quality paint, which he said he is) let's break it down:

- $2200 quoted cost
- assume $500 for paint and materials
- $1700 in labor to justify
- assume two person crew
- assume 2.5 days given sanding and some minor drywall repair work (don't underestimate the importance of proper sanding, or how long it can take)
- assume 8 hour days

Total Labor hours is 40 hours. At $1700, it's a labor rate of $42.50 an hour. If you're hiring a reputable small business, that sounds about right to me when you consider fully absorbed cost per hour. Especially if you're in a higher COL area, are using Union labor, etc.

Now, having said that... I agree with your suggestion to make this a DIY. If the condo is empty, you can bang this out quite easily if you don't mind the sweat equity. Put down a heavy mil plastic drop cloth and start rolling. I will strong suggest, if the OP does this himself, to get an extension handle for the roller. I never understood using a roller w/o an extension handle...makes it VERY hard are your arm and wrist w/o one.

For what it's worth, by doing the basement myself, the money I saved (about $2100) bought the pool table. :D
Last edited by investingdad on Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andyrunner
Posts: 667
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 9:14 am

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by Andyrunner » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:20 am

For a place that size, shouldnt cost you more then a few phone calls to friends, some beer and pizza.

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 19289
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:24 am

Equipment needed:
Painters tape
An edger - to seamlessly paint the edges where the wall meets the ceiling without creating drip marks and leaving the wrong colors on other parts of the walls.
Rollers with extension bar - as other poster alluded, your arms, hands, back and neck will thank you for it.
Couple of paint trays
Heavy mil tarp to cover floors
A couple of days of painting - Primer first, come back a day later and start rolling.
Clean up materials.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

PowDay
Posts: 320
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:43 am

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by PowDay » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:25 am

Andyrunner wrote:For a place that size, shouldnt cost you more then a few phone calls to friends, some beer and pizza.
Agreed, I think I could paint a condo this size faster than I could collect and analyze three quotes.

User avatar
Toons
Posts: 13014
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by Toons » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:34 am

Little on the high side. :happy
But not out of the ball park.
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

lululu
Posts: 1378
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:23 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by lululu » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:49 am

Mingus wrote: I know its the "in thing" now to paint clear wood trim white, but I suggest you rethink that.
+1 The condo is not a historic house of course, but one of the horrendous things about restoring such is the work to remove paint someone slapped over wood trim.

dbr
Posts: 27207
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by dbr » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:57 am

lululu wrote:
Mingus wrote: I know its the "in thing" now to paint clear wood trim white, but I suggest you rethink that.
+1 The condo is not a historic house of course, but one of the horrendous things about restoring such is the work to remove paint someone slapped over wood trim.
I agree. Unless you are really sure about that, then think some more before deciding. That said, I think there is a bias against painting wood trim that is unjustified as lots of really, really nice interior schemes include painted trim, including most classic buildings in Europe and elsewhere.

As far as cost, the ranges are indeed daunting. For exterior work the last time I had bids the range was $3,000 to $26,000 for the same work and I never figured out how that could be. We took a bid of $6000 and were well pleased.

I agree that doing this kind of thing one's self is not that hard, especially on easy to reach interior work. However, I have done a lot of my own painting, and if I were to have assessed my time at a reasonable rate, say $30/hour plus materials, every paint job I have done cost me more than a reasonable professional bid would have. What was gained was getting exactly what I wanted on my own time and terms. I am not so sure the inexperienced amateur will produce the best results.

investingdad
Posts: 1427
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by investingdad » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:28 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:Equipment needed:
Painters tape
An edger - to seamlessly paint the edges where the wall meets the ceiling without creating drip marks and leaving the wrong colors on other parts of the walls.
Rollers with extension bar - as other poster alluded, your arms, hands, back and neck will thank you for it.
Couple of paint trays
Heavy mil tarp to cover floors
A couple of days of painting - Primer first, come back a day later and start rolling.
Clean up materials.
You know, I usually tape the ceiling and then brush the walls up to the seam. I've gotten good results like this. If you're careful with the tape, you can get a razor sharp edge. I final color coat the ceiling first so I don't have to tape the walls. When I brush in and cut the seam on the ceiling, I just brush in any "mistakes" where ceiling paint got onto the walls. It's covered up when I paint the walls using the taping method I just described.

pshonore
Posts: 6422
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:21 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by pshonore » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:01 am

I presume we're not talking "popcorn" ceilings. Repainting them is a royal pain. And to the person who suggested pizza and beer - that might work, just be sure you don't crack open the beer until the job is totally finished.

autonomy
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:22 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by autonomy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:10 am

adamthesmythe wrote:I've always done interior painting myself. Easy and relaxing. This is one of the last things I would hire someone to do.
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:Equipment needed:
Painters tape
An edger - to seamlessly paint the edges where the wall meets the ceiling without creating drip marks and leaving the wrong colors on other parts of the walls.
Rollers with extension bar - as other poster alluded, your arms, hands, back and neck will thank you for it.
Couple of paint trays
Heavy mil tarp to cover floors
A couple of days of painting - Primer first, come back a day later and start rolling.
Clean up materials.
This. I've painted my own condo and helped with my sister's and it's a nice weekend project with a couple of friends (whole weekend for ~500sq ft with prep & cleanup if you do it by yourself).
Prep requires most time, so does sanding (haven't done any of it). Painting itself is very quick - it's not rocket surgery and it's not a job where you need to have a ton of experience to ensure the end product is safe. Maybe if you're going for 99.999% perfection and your house is already built to those standards... but our walls are uneven anyway :oops:

denovo
Posts: 4377
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by denovo » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm

Pick your own paint. If this is a home you own, don't get cheap paint. Sherman-Williams has some good stuff, but sometimes painters get discounts. Make sure you are getting apples to apples comparisions i.e. coats of paints, specified paint.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

leonard
Posts: 5993
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:56 am

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by leonard » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:26 pm

HawkeyeJD wrote:
leonard wrote:
WHL wrote:
leonard wrote:
WHL wrote:I have a 670 sq.ft., 1bd 1 ba condo. I had a well recommended painting company provide me with a quote to do the walls and ceilings. Quoted price is roughly $1800. Ceiling will be white and three other colors will be used. My place is empty, I haven't moved in yet, so no furniture for them to move. They said they will do two coats on all surfaces.

I also had him give me another quote for all trim work, casings, window sills, etc. $2200. Sand, clean, prime, and three coats of paint.

All of this will be done with a high quality Sherwin Williams paint.

It seems expensive, but I'd rather have a high quality job the first time. What say you?
670 sq ft. I haven't painted for a long time - but $1.8k seems like a lot of money. How much actual time did they quote to do that job?

And, does the trim work need to be sanded and primed? is it new trim? I don't see why all that would be necessary unless it's brand new wood or seriously warped or damaged.
I believe he said three days for the walls and ceilings.

The trim is all currently wood, with some type of clear coat i believe. I am completely changing the color scheme and want all trim work white. The wood isn't damaged, but I'm sure it is the original ~14 year old installation.

Edit: a portion of the trim is new. Crown moulding and some half round and other decorative pieces added to the baseboards.
3 days?!? As has been suggested, get a few more estimates. Unless you have tall ceilings or something else making this complicated, that is a crazy estimate. Used to do 2 and 3 bedroom apartments (much larger than 700 sq ft) with 2 or 3 people in about 3 hours. Sometimes faster. This seems like way, way too much time and money.
One thing to keep in mind is location. Not sure where the OP is but in some areas things just cost a lot more and that includes painting and other semi-skilled professional jobs.

I've also had a few "crews" come and paint a few rentals real quick and for low $$, but was never happy with the results, and once they are gone, you never find them again. I don't mind paying a bit more for a warranty from an established company, someone that actually answers the phones, and a good walk through with a supervisor before signing off on the finished product and paying.

As to your comment that 3 people can paint an apartment larger than 700 sq ft in 3 hours, that just seems really quick to me and I would be concerned that attention to detail among other things. Might be fine if rooms are all one color and minimal taping and other things that take time, or there are no windows or other things to slow you down, but my family room, office, and dining room alone have 12 windows, various moldings, and all kinds of other obstacles that I would wholly expect to take time to ensure the work is done properly and clean, you know, like no roller marks on the ceiling etc.,
It can "seem" all you like. I have painted dozens of apartments to a high quality standard in that amount of time. Any experienced 2 person crew that takes more than a day (being very generous) to paint that condo (not including trim) is simply incompetent or stringing the job out to make it seem like the fee is justified. 700 sq ft is a small job. Period. Anything blowing up that price is pure padding.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

john94549
Posts: 4638
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by john94549 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:25 pm

We have a 2600 square foot house, filled with furniture, everything needs to be covered, etc. Stated another way, a heck of a lot more complicated. We're having our entire interior repainted starting next Monday for $8000. The painter is figuring it's a five-day job with a crew of three. This is a guy we've used many times in the past (inside and outside) and we're in a high COL area.

investingdad
Posts: 1427
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by investingdad » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:12 pm

john94549 wrote:We have a 2600 square foot house, filled with furniture, everything needs to be covered, etc. Stated another way, a heck of a lot more complicated. We're having our entire interior repainted starting next Monday for $8000. The painter is figuring it's a five-day job with a crew of three. This is a guy we've used many times in the past (inside and outside) and we're in a high COL area.
Applying this ratio of man hours per square foot, the OP is looking at two people for two days. Consistent with what I guess in an earlier post.

WHL
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by WHL » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:22 pm

First, I have zero interest in doing this job myself. I'm not a painter. It pains me to pay this much labor to someone, given that I can (and do) do almost anything to my vehicle, but...c'est la vie. I also don't have the time - I'm in NYC today, flying home to PDX tomorrow, then off to Toronto Sunday, etc. etc. This schedule won't change. There's a reason I've owned the place for six weeks and haven't moved in yet and it isn't laziness.

Second, I am still up in the air on painting the trim, but once you see the pictures, I don't think you'll have an issue with it. It isn't high quality wood and the mix of half round, the existing base boards, and the decorative piece I'm going to add to the top need something. It just doesn't look right with my wood floors. I could remove the half round on the floor (a shitty coverup job by the wood floor installer to hide the expansion gap that he incorrectly installed) and replace it with something that matches better, but i just prefer the overall scheme of the white trim.

Not sure what else to say at this point so here're a few pics. Hopefully the existing trim is visible enough. The pictures really don't show the little piece of half round well enough but it looks very out of place. Again, a blunder by the hardwood installer. I didn't even know he was doing it until the job was complete :oops:

Image

Image

Image

derosa
Posts: 464
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:18 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by derosa » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:23 pm

Sherwin Williams is about the most expensive paint that you can buy. And they are in the same ballpark quality wise as the best paint at either lowes or home depot. So at least twice as much for the same result on the paint.

Don't take my word for it - check out consumer reports.

Dont know about sanding but i hope they bring tubes of quality paintable caulk.

WHL
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by WHL » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:26 pm

derosa wrote:Sherwin Williams is about the most expensive paint that you can buy. And they are in the same ballpark quality wise as the best paint at either lowes or home depot. So at least twice as much for the same result on the paint.

Don't take my word for it - check out consumer reports.

Dont know about sanding but i hope they bring tubes of quality paintable caulk.
He said with his discount, the SW paint is about 25/gallon. He also said he can get Rodda or Miller for roughly the same price, it's my choice. I have read nothing good about the quality of paint that HD and Lowes sells and only positives about the quality SW stuff.

Yes, they will be caulking all of the trim and moulding. This was discussed quite extensively.

ralph124cf
Posts: 2028
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:41 am

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by ralph124cf » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:26 pm

The space is pretty chopped up, so that means more time on edging. There doesn't seem to be much wall damage that needs repairing and sanding, so prep should not be too much of a pain. The finished wood trim needs to be sanded rough and primed before painting. A good job includes removing the wall covers for electrical switches and outlets. It looks like currently they have been painted to match the walls, and probably the previous painter simply rolled the paint over them, because that was cheaper and easier.

Bid sounds not unreasonable, but needs to state details of what will be done.

Ralph

Mingus
Posts: 641
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:25 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by Mingus » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:01 am

derosa wrote:Sherwin Williams is about the most expensive paint that you can buy. And they are in the same ballpark quality wise as the best paint at either lowes or home depot. So at least twice as much for the same result on the paint.
Truth. I made the mistake of painting my living room and dining room with SW paint a few years ago.. But it is a pretty color.

Lately I've been using Ben Moore for interior projects, alkyd oil, and the quality is a lot better. Apples to oranges though, since the SW was acrylic.

Mingus
Posts: 641
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:25 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by Mingus » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:11 am

WHL wrote:
Second, I am still up in the air on painting the trim, but once you see the pictures, I don't think you'll have an issue with it. It isn't high quality wood and the mix of half round, the existing base boards, and the decorative piece I'm going to add to the top need something. It just doesn't look right with my wood floors. I could remove the half round on the floor (a shitty coverup job by the wood floor installer to hide the expansion gap that he incorrectly installed) and replace it with something that matches better, but i just prefer the overall scheme of the white trim.
I agree with the half round from the floor install looks sort of ghetto. I can't tell what kind of wood the trim is. But it doesn't look that bad..

White trim can look really nice, if it has a nice profile to it. Something to give it some depth and shadow lines. But your trim is pretty simple and is relying on the wood grain for depth. Adding a top piece will help.

Honestly, if I were picking out a trim package for my place what you have would not be my first choice, however if it was what I had I wouldn't paint it either. Besides, unless your painter is either really really good, painting trim that's already fastened and not on the bench will never look as good as shop finished trim.

SwampDonkey
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by SwampDonkey » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:00 pm

We had two painters spend three hours painting our living room, entryway, and two hallways --- about 800 sq ft and 14ft ceilings. They initially quoted $425, I talked them down to $350. They tried to only apply a single coat and say that was good. It wasn't. They applied the second coat after I told them I wasn't going to pay and it looks great. My other two quotes ranged from $500-700.

As for the cost of paint - my painters just called the Sherwin-Williams in my town and told them I was coming in. This allowed me to buy the same paint the professionals buy. Each gallon was only $22. This paint wasn't on the shelves, it was the stuff they keep in the back of the store. The paint cans looked cheap but my painters assured me this stuff was identical to the "good" stuff that sold for $50 and was in a fancy looking can.

investingdad
Posts: 1427
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by investingdad » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:31 pm

SwampDonkey wrote:We had two painters spend three hours painting our living room, entryway, and two hallways --- about 800 sq ft and 14ft ceilings. They initially quoted $425, I talked them down to $350. They tried to only apply a single coat and say that was good. It wasn't. They applied the second coat after I told them I wasn't going to pay and it looks great. My other two quotes ranged from $500-700.

As for the cost of paint - my painters just called the Sherwin-Williams in my town and told them I was coming in. This allowed me to buy the same paint the professionals buy. Each gallon was only $22. This paint wasn't on the shelves, it was the stuff they keep in the back of the store. The paint cans looked cheap but my painters assured me this stuff was identical to the "good" stuff that sold for $50 and was in a fancy looking can.
Given that you should wait at least 2 to 4 hours of drying time between first and second coats...I cannot reconcile how a job of 800 ft2 can be double coated in three hours. I speak from experience at having painted my finished basement, which was 750 ft2. The speed at which I'd have to slop paint onto the walls is to cover that much area by roller, plust tape and cut with a brush, is breathtaking.

User avatar
magellan
Posts: 3469
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by magellan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:33 pm

Mingus wrote:Besides, unless your painter is either really really good, painting trim that's already fastened and not on the bench will never look as good as shop finished trim.
I don't understand this. With trim painting, the thing that separates the pros from the hacks is usually the quality of the prep work. Nail holes have to get filled and sanded smooth and cracks and seams should be caulked so there are no visible 'black lines'. The cuts against the wall need to be clean and sharp. None of this can be done at the shop.

Using preprimed or prefinished materials might save some time, but IMO it won't result in a better job compared to having a competent painter prep and paint trim on site.

Rodc
Posts: 13601
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:46 am

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by Rodc » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:16 pm

magellan wrote:
Mingus wrote:Besides, unless your painter is either really really good, painting trim that's already fastened and not on the bench will never look as good as shop finished trim.
I don't understand this. With trim painting, the thing that separates the pros from the hacks is usually the quality of the prep work. Nail holes have to get filled and sanded smooth and cracks and seams should be caulked so there are no visible 'black lines'. The cuts against the wall need to be clean and sharp. None of this can be done at the shop.

Using preprimed or prefinished materials might save some time, but IMO it won't result in a better job compared to having a competent painter prep and paint trim on site.
Agreed. Has to be prep'd and painted in place.

In general the key to any good paint job is the prep, spackle nail holes, fixing cracks in walls or sanding out bad old nail spackle jobs, removing switch plates not paint up to them (or replace is paint spattered or old and discolored), sanding anything with a sheen, primer before color, etc. Only once the surfaces are perfect should you paint. Painting is the easy quick part. Prep is the hard expensive part.

If one wants a sloppy amateur job, go with the cheap quick painter who half arses the prep. Many people seem to think this is fine, kind of like cheap watery beer. :) But if you are a craft beer kind of person when it comes to paint jobs, well you gotta pay craft beer sorts of prices.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

WHL
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by WHL » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:32 pm

Rodc wrote:
magellan wrote:
Mingus wrote:Besides, unless your painter is either really really good, painting trim that's already fastened and not on the bench will never look as good as shop finished trim.
I don't understand this. With trim painting, the thing that separates the pros from the hacks is usually the quality of the prep work. Nail holes have to get filled and sanded smooth and cracks and seams should be caulked so there are no visible 'black lines'. The cuts against the wall need to be clean and sharp. None of this can be done at the shop.

Using preprimed or prefinished materials might save some time, but IMO it won't result in a better job compared to having a competent painter prep and paint trim on site.
Agreed. Has to be prep'd and painted in place.

In general the key to any good paint job is the prep, spackle nail holes, fixing cracks in walls or sanding out bad old nail spackle jobs, removing switch plates not paint up to them (or replace is paint spattered or old and discolored), sanding anything with a sheen, primer before color, etc. Only once the surfaces are perfect should you paint. Painting is the easy quick part. Prep is the hard expensive part.

If one wants a sloppy amateur job, go with the cheap quick painter who half arses the prep. Many people seem to think this is fine, kind of like cheap watery beer. :) But if you are a craft beer kind of person when it comes to paint jobs, well you gotta pay craft beer sorts of prices.
I agree with everything you've said which is exactly why while i think the price is high, it will be worth it for high quality work.

And yes, I don't drink coors light :)

dbr
Posts: 27207
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by dbr » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:36 pm

WHL wrote: I agree with everything you've said which is exactly why while i think the price is high, it will be worth it for high quality work.

And yes, I don't drink coors light :)
I also agree. I have done a lot of my own painting, and if I were actually paying myself in dollars the cost would be astronomical.

However, there is also risk that the work will not be good.

tim1999
Posts: 3501
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:16 am

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by tim1999 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:13 pm

In my area, that is maybe 10% high but in the ballpark for a quote from a big-name local painting company. Sure, you could hire some guy working "off the books" to do it much cheaper, but unless you know and trust that guy already, I wouldn't bother. Personally, I hate painting, whenever I've tried it, it turned out to be a total mess and I had to pay someone else to complete it.

Rodc
Posts: 13601
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:46 am

Re: Is this an unreasonable quote for interior home painting

Post by Rodc » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:09 pm

FWIW: decorative arts are very subjective, but I'd probably paint the trim white as well.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

Post Reply