Transcendental meditation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
0cean23

Transcendental meditation

Post by 0cean23 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:05 pm

Hi,

Does anyone here do transcendental meditation? If so, any tips for someone who wants to start this in their lifestyle? Also, in order to successfully learn transcendental meditation, is it required to learn from a certified teacher or can we learn this from reading / researching online along with practice?

VictoriaF

Re: Transcendental meditation

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:23 pm

I became interested in meditation after reading Dan Harris's book 10% Happier. I followed Harris's references, did some search, and found some books and audios, as well as meditation retreats. But for now, I signed for a Mindfulness Meditation class at my local park district. The class starts at the end of January.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

mjdaniel

Post by mjdaniel » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:31 pm

My older sister and ex husband were doing this in the late 60's and early 70's. They spent their honeymoon in Denver seeing Guru Maharaji (sp?). He eventually cheated on her and they are now divorced. My advice in instead of TM, take up single malt scotch as a hobby and religion, yours truly, me.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:37 pm

We did a T.M. session in Berkeley back in the 1980's which was way cool, but driving back to Palo Alto in a VW bug was quite the trip. My friend, a young sweet woman, was driving nicely until she decided the car in front of her was going too slow, so she tailgated the car all the way back. I remember her distinctly saying, "See how my headlights are shining right in his mirror and into his eyes!"

Any benefits I got from that session were gone in the first 15 minutes afterwards.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

tc101

Post by tc101 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:39 pm

I meditate daily. I have for years. It has helped me a lot. You can learn it from a book or a teacher, but don't pay lots of money. It is good to meditate with a group to help you establish self discipline at first. If you can find a good teacher to talk to it is useful but not absolutely necessary.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:40 pm

mjdaniel wrote:My advice in instead of TM, take up single malt scotch as a hobby and religion, yours truly, me.
No certificate required, and you can go at your own pace.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:40 pm

I remember that after the "flying" thing, TM became even less reputable.
http://skepdic.com/tm.html

Stonebr

Post by Stonebr » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:47 pm

I would steer clear of TM. Lots of ways to meditate without paying the big bucks. There are traditions that go back thousands of years that don't come with the high price tag. Your local adult education program may have something.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:56 pm

Stonebr wrote:don't come with the high price tag. Your local adult education program may have something.
My class is $33 for six 1.5-hour sessions. It seems an inexpensive way to give it a try.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

tc101

Post by tc101 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:05 pm

I would steer clear of TM. Lots of ways to meditate without paying the big bucks. There are traditions that go back thousands of years that don't come with the high price tag. Your local adult education program may have something.
I agree. TM is expensive and does not have a good reputation.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:08 pm

mjdaniel wrote: My advice in instead of TM, take up single malt scotch as a hobby and religion, yours truly, me.
I do the Single Malt Scotch and my religion is Fly Fishing! - Never needed TM or any Organized religion.

Fly Fishing in the Bahamas Today! :happy

backpacker

Post by backpacker » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:12 pm

VictoriaF wrote:I became interested in meditation after reading Dan Harris's book 10% Happier.
+1

The best book on mediation I've read so far. Well-written and generally psychobabble-free.

in_reality

Post by in_reality » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:20 pm

Many cities have a Zen center that usually has an introductory course. There may be a nominal fee or optional donation of course but the ones I know are not trying to use you as a cash card in any way shape or form. There may be a Dharma talk that is sometimes sorta theoretical and perhaps useless but also insightful into personal experience.

Then there is fly fishing! Can't say which is better... Maybe do both!

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:29 pm

in_reality wrote:
Then there is fly fishing! Can't say which is better... Maybe do both!

And the simpler version of fly fishing - Tenkara

http://www.tenkarausa.com/

I've not tried it yet but seems interesting

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:36 pm

Went to a TM presentation 45 years ago and they had just raised the price from $35 to $70 for the mantra. Heck that was a week's salary in those days!
Later on, I learned to meditate by hook and by crook from different conscious raising groups I was involved in and with my psych. major in college. Its fairly straight forward and you don't have to pay a lot of money.
But in the last six years since I retired both my hubby and I are serious and taking advanced Buddhist classes. What a great life philosophy! Not organized religion at all, heaven forbid. There might be a Kadampa Buddhist center near you. Check out the website (http://kadampa.org/) and download the free "Modern Buddhism" ebook. There is so much to gain by stillness and listening to your mind and how it works. Highly recommended.
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

whaleknives

Post by whaleknives » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:09 pm

If you mean meditation as taught by the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, then I'd try another school. A roommate attended a seminar c. 1972 and said the practitioners claimed they could levitate. They couldn't.
"I'm an indexer. I own the market. And I'm happy." (John Bogle, "BusinessWeek", 8/17/07) ☕ Maritime signal flag W - Whiskey: "I require medical assistance."

marielake

Post by marielake » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:41 pm

Another vote for 10% happier by Dan Harris. At the end of his book, he offers practical advice on how to mediate with a list of recommended books. I learned meditation in a stress mgmt class that was 100% covered by my insurance.

tc101

Post by tc101 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:42 pm

Good basic 4 minute meditation instructions on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzhmktSOPOw

tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:07 pm

whaleknives wrote:...A roommate attended a seminar c. 1972 and said the practitioners claimed they could levitate. They couldn't.
No, but they could hop. That's something. Not everyone can hop.
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister

LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:25 pm

see also

Contemplative Prayer - Father Keating Thomas ret. monk established this flavor of meditation based on Christian religious principles. Chapters are throughout the US.
Workshops are generally free or low cost.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.

Ged

Post by Ged » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:22 am

I have found simple mantra meditation to be helpful for headaches and high blood pressure. Not sure about the transcendental part, and it there may be many other relaxation techniques equally beneficial.

Didn't pay any money for it. An Indian friend gave me a simple mantra.

We didn't have YouTube back when I first tried it, but that's where I would start now.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:43 am

TM got me through law school and two childbirth. I learned it in law school when I was getting tension so bad I couldn't move my nick at all, literally. We didn't have much money as students, so I think it was free or nominal cost in the mid-70s to learn. I had one or two sessions and my then-BF meditated with me, 2x/day. It really helped clear my mind. Once I graduated law school, I was too busy to "bother" with it. Fast forward to late 1980s when I was expecting our first child and in labor. I was very wary of anesthesia, since it tends to make me nauseous, but the pressure (OK, pain if you will) of childbirth was getting pretty intense when suddenly, I somehow put myself into a meditative trance and was watching everything as an observer and no longer felt any pain, as long as no one touched me. It worked perfectly and I didn't need any anesthesia to have either of my two kids (same thing happened when my 2nd one was coming).

I'd say it's definitely worth a try. It has its uses, as does any form of mindfulness or progressive relaxation and other mind/body techniques. I agree that it's not worth spending a LOT of money on and you can probably borrow free books or see free YouTube videos on the subject. There are also a lot of books on the subject. Meditation and relaxation can lower blood pressure and do a lot of very healthy things for bodies.

Erwin

Post by Erwin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:26 am

Try the old fashion medicine for stress, unhappiness, etc., make a point to meet often with friends you treasured with a glass of wine and enjoy life.
Erwin

nybestalex

Post by nybestalex » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:16 am

I found NSR meditation to be helpful.

http://www.nsrusa.org/

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:29 am

I don't know how it fits into it but there are many different schools of Yoga. Sometimes I do Hatha Yoga or some other variations at my Health Club.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:36 am

Years ago when I was having a lot of job stress and anxiety I took a TM class at a local college. It really helped me a lot. I was suffering from insomnia from my anxiety and TM helped me overcome that. I stopped doing it after my stress subsided a few months later but will still do it occasionally to relax after a stressful day. Since I am retired now, I no longer have many stressful days. I highly recommend it, especially for those dealing with stress and anxiety.

The class was helpful for me to get started but I think you can easily learn this from a book or video. It is simple stuff.

IPer

Post by IPer » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:52 am

I thought it would be easy to get you a concise and practical explanation and practice and not too long on Youtube, however, I saw a good explanation with no practice and vice versa. I have been doing yoga and meditation for years but the most important meditation practice aside from the group practices is the simple one:

1. Find a comfortable posture, chair, cross legs, straight, kneeling on cusion all fine as long as your back is straight and you are not leaning on something, like the back of
a chair.
2. Close your eyes and breathe through your nose, if you can, if you cannot you can still practice but eventually your body will ease up and you should be able to breathe through your nose.
3. Nothing to think about, bring your attention and awareness to the tip of your nose where the breath moves in and out.
4. Do not try to breathe or control the breath, just watch the breath at the tip of your nose.
5. If your thoughts begin to wander bring your attention back to the movement of the breath at the tip of your nose.

Do this for 3 minutes twice a day for a while and if you enjoy it ease up to 10 minutes. 10 minutes does not sound like much but if you can do this
practice for 10 minutes twice a day you can get all the benefits of meditation that are available to you. The hard core 30 minute and 1.5-2 hour sessions
are out of the range of what is described above though you could extend it.

ps a mantra is not really necessary, treat the concentration of the breath at the tip of the nose as a mantra. If you want to experiment with sound and
mantra you can put on a recording (this is a completely different practice!) of mantra music and chant along with it. This practice is known as Naad or
immersion of sound, it is an easier and more desirable practice for some, I find it quite similar in terms of the effects it has on me. And the mantra
meditation of TM (and many others) is also a different practice. Enjoy!
Read the Wiki Wiki !

david99

Post by david99 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:11 am

You can get some books and DVDS from the library on meditation. I tried meditation but didn't like it. I have known people that find it useful. I just go to the gym to relieve stress and relax.

fposte

Post by fposte » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:50 am

From what I've seen (like the study referred to here), TM doesn't seem to offer more than other forms of focused relaxation and may offer less. But if you're keen, try a few different approaches and see which one you like for yourself.

oaksavannah

Post by oaksavannah » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:29 am

I've been practicing mindfulness meditation in the Shambhala tradition for over 20 years. I read books by Chogyam Trungpa, Sakyong Mipham, Pema Chodron, Thich Nhat Hanh, and others that are very helpful in providing an orientation about why one would do such a thing as meditate. I discovered that sitting with other people helps support my practice. Shambhala Centers offer free meditation instruction, evening classes, and weekend intensives that you can pay what you want. Also offers online courses.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:50 am

oaksavannah wrote:Shambhala Centers offer free meditation instruction, evening classes, and weekend intensives that you can pay what you want. Also offers online courses.
Thank you for the recommendation. I looked it up and found a Shambhala Center in D.C. near a Metro station.

Victoria

mbk734

Post by mbk734 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:52 am

Meditation is a great way to relax and relieve stress.
Jon Kabatt Zinn has some good videos on youtube and books on mindfulness meditation:

Book: Wherever you go, there you are

Seminar at Google: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nwwKbM_vJc
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf

SC Hoosier

Post by SC Hoosier » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:08 am

My faith beliefs are very different from Chopra, but this is an exercise of his that I use for stress relief. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWe501bBel8

It really helps with headaches. I try to do it daily. Only 15 minutes.

Hoosier
I live in No Payment Land. It is wonderful, and I'd love for you to live here too.

lululu

Post by lululu » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:15 am

livesoft wrote:We did a T.M. session in Berkeley back in the 1980's which was way cool, but driving back to Palo Alto in a VW bug was quite the trip. My friend, a young sweet woman, was driving nicely until she decided the car in front of her was going too slow, so she tailgated the car all the way back. I remember her distinctly saying, "See how my headlights are shining right in his mirror and into his eyes!"

Any benefits I got from that session were gone in the first 15 minutes afterwards.
One of my minor peeves is how the headlights on SUVs aim right into the rear view mirror of ordinary cars. (Where are the feds when their regs could do something useful?) Someone once mentioned to me that there's a way to adjust the rear view mirror to aim the headlights back at the SUV driver, but refused to tell me how to do that :D

hoppy08520

Post by hoppy08520 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:18 am

tc101 wrote:... It is good to meditate with a group to help you establish self discipline at first. If you can find a good teacher to talk to it is useful but not absolutely necessary...
I agree with this advice.

Many Unitarian Universalist churches have affiliations with Buddhist and/or meditation groups. They will often have a regular night of the week for guided group meditation sessions that are open to the pubic and are free but with a recommended goodwill offering. If there is a UU church near you, check their schedule.

Good luck.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:58 am

I think that relaxation techniques are great but I avoid medication practices that have too much of a religious spin. I was interested in Buddhism and Hindu practices which is why I went to Tibet many years ago. I've also been to Thailand twice and I've also been to India. I wanted to go to Angkor Wat but when I got there I found that it was originally Hindu but became Buddhist.

I see that my Health Club even has a class on Meditation but I can't make it - work! They have classes on the different forms of Yoga such as Hatha, Yin Yang, Ashtanga etc. I like Yoga and feel relaxed after a session - well sometime muscles are sore. I think each religion has truth in it but I don't like indoctrination.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:18 pm

In the 1960s my doctor once taught groups of patients how to meditate by quietly sitting, body and arms comfortable, relaxed breathing, hands get heavy and thinking about a nice scene, like a meadow in summer. It relaxed me, sometimes closely to falling over, my limbs got all warm. I practice it on and off whenever I remember it.

tbradnc

Post by tbradnc » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:09 pm

I've had a daily meditation practice for years. I practice a form of Buddhist meditation called Vipassana.

I agree that sitting with a group once a week is a good way to anchor and maintain a practice.

There is a very good book titled "Mindfulness in Plain English" that can be purchased or you can view a PDF here: http://www.wisdompubs.org/sites/default ... review.pdf.

I would suggest a 2-3 day beginner oriented meditation retreat at a Dharma center as a great way to learn the basics.

Paying to learn meditation is akin to paying to practice yoga. You can certainly do that and there's no harm but if you look for a minute you can find quite a lot of free resources that are as good or better than those that cost money.

WS1

Post by WS1 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:49 pm

I joined just to post to this thread

I've been regularly using the app/website Headspace for about 7 months. I love it. They've been getting a fair amount of media coverage recently.