Any men here get their wedding band on Amazon?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Triple digit golfer

Any men here get their wedding band on Amazon?

Post by Triple digit golfer » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:22 am

I am looking to get my wedding band on Amazon. I really like the looks of this one, and I like the $17 price tag as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Tungsten-Carbide- ... B008KUYHWO

Is there anything I should be concerned about? The reviews are great, the price is great, it has a nickel binder (which I've read is recommended), and I know that I want tungsten.

I have read that cobalt is bad in a tungsten ring. I'm assuming there is no cobalt although I cannot be sure.

I also don't think there's much maintenance, if any, required on a tungsten ring, but if there was, then I'd go with a big box jeweler so that I could take it in every year.

mrboast

Re: Any men here get their wedding band on Amazon?

Post by mrboast » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:50 am

I bought mine on Amazon, it was of the ~$100 variety. I wouldn't be concerned about much at the $17 level; worst case it melts in the next few weeks and you are out $17.

Zecht

Post by Zecht » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:57 am

I'm very partial to local non-chain jewelers. Firstly, you can get some great prices (most at no interest in my area), and you have a place to go if anything bad happens. I'm generally against any kind of cheap jewelry as it tends to break quickly and not withstand daily wearing well. I'd say it's really a matter of personal preference, and my preference is to have a gold or platinum band with some subtle designs, but nothing cheap or ostentatious. Most tungsten rings sub-$100 are doped with other metals or tungsten plated over something like carbon steel to bring the price down. These may last, but tend to corrode and irritate the skin when worn for a significant length of time. When possible, try to get one homogeneous metal, or at least one that is very corrosion resistant.

Carl262

Post by Carl262 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:12 am

I got my tungsten wedding band new from eBay. It was about $18. From what I was told it was not mixed with any other metals. I was wary with such a cheap price, but I also figured paying $300 doesn't guarantee I'm not getting a cheap ring either. I was more comfortable with the worst case scenario with the cheap ring than the worst case scenario with the expensive ring.

Oddly enough, I spent over $1000 on a ring I designed myself for my wife.

flyingbison

Post by flyingbison » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:17 am

I currently wear a titanium ring that was about $15 new from eBay. It's super lightweight and very comfortable. Never had any problems, and it's cheap enough that I don't have to worry about damaging it or losing it.

Carson

Post by Carson » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:24 am

Not from amazon, but I got DH's titanium ring from eweddingbands.com. They sent sizers, we ordered our semi custom ring and he's worn it everyday for 11 years. Worked for me!
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

mtwoy

Post by mtwoy » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:41 am

I bought my tungsten wedding ring from an online jeweler (don't remember the name) over 5 years ago for ~$15. It still looks great (no scuffs/scratches) and my finger hasn't turned green or fallen off yet.

jasc15

Post by jasc15 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:43 am

I bought mine from a guy on etsy who makes titanium rings. It cost $45, and I've been very happy with it for the last 6 months. Of course it can't be resized, but a new one is much cheaper than resizing a gold ring.

gardemanger

Post by gardemanger » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:46 am

They have some amazing wedding band makers on Etsy.

dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:52 am

I see this rings come up on Slickdeals often for $5-$9. You will find lots of comments about them.
http://slickdeals.net/f/7565394-tanga-r ... e-shipping
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-

health teacher

Post by health teacher » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:59 am

I am wearing a titanium band from Overstock. It was $17 and I love it. I have found the conversation of how much the ring costs rarely, if ever comes up. And if it did, I wouldn't care. To me, my ring symobolizes the same thing as a 10k ring.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:00 am

I looked in jewelry stores for a tungsten band and they were ~$400. I ended up buying one on Amazon for $20 and its perfect. When people ask about it and I tell them what I pay they are in aw!

C4NT

Post by C4NT » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:04 am

I bought my first tungsten carbide ring from a jewelry store. It was, in hindsight, a half-size too big. It is now somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean. My second one was purchased online. It was a fourth of the cost of the original; it is also a half-size smaller than the original. I could not tell any difference between the two.

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:24 am

I know my Son purchased his wedding bands on Amazon and he can buy pretty much any ring he desires,,,,but he can do that because he watches "how" he spends his hard earned money.He was extremely pleased with both price and quality :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:25 am

Zecht wrote:I'm very partial to local non-chain jewelers. Firstly, you can get some great prices (most at no interest in my area), and you have a place to go if anything bad happens. I'm generally against any kind of cheap jewelry as it tends to break quickly and not withstand daily wearing well. I'd say it's really a matter of personal preference, and my preference is to have a gold or platinum band with some subtle designs, but nothing cheap or ostentatious. Most tungsten rings sub-$100 are doped with other metals or tungsten plated over something like carbon steel to bring the price down. These may last, but tend to corrode and irritate the skin when worn for a significant length of time. When possible, try to get one homogeneous metal, or at least one that is very corrosion resistant.
I have five wedding bands: a wooden one, a granite one, and three rubber ones ($3.99 for three http://store.saferingz.com/Blemished-Me ... _p_34.html). I am partial to unique looking rings, and also to paying <$10 for something as trivial as a hoop on my finger to project that I am not a single man. The rubber ones are also great because I have arthritis so my knuckle often swells, the stretching means they still fit on those days. Don't really understand why you would be concerned about the durability of something that is so cheap, I would bet my life that the five rings I have will last just as long or longer than yours, for a small fraction of the price, I get to choose the color/design depending on my mood that day, and if I lose one it is no big deal at all.

JLJL

Post by JLJL » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:37 am

I paid that much for a cob salad tonight. Then again, I participated in a several page thread from a guy who was asking about buying a $20 coffee maker.

Make sure you like the ring, it is comfortable and fits great, etc. Hard to know from Amazon. I bought a comfort fit from a vendor in the gold markets in LA. He had hundreds of the style I was after. I found the exact size, plus could judge the band width, thickness, and weight. And it was cool having him weigh it up and negotiating a bit.

Interestingly (ok, interesting for me probably not the rest of you) I first wore a wedding ring similar in style to yours, mine was white gold I think artcarved from a jewelry store that I washed down the drain at the international lounge in Philly airport. Aside from the value I never greatly missed the ring. But when my wife and son and I went and found this replacement on a fun day trip to the market and I got just what I wanted, it makes the ring that much more special. I spent $150 or so, plus the cost of the street food that day. Maybe someday I'll pass it to him.

What's my point, you say? I'm not sure I know either but I wouldn't buy a $17 wedding ring on amazon. Not that I'm materialistic, it's just that I have had this ring off my finger only a few hours since I bought it 5 or so years ago. I wanted to be sure it was right.

Not much risk to you in any case, just my thoughts.

jburke

Post by jburke » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:43 am

I just purchased this titanium wedding ring for $10 and love it:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034E ... UTF8&psc=1

I now have 4 different rings (all under $20) of different shapes and materials. I'm all for diversifying wedding ring portfolios.

NoVa Lurker

Post by NoVa Lurker » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:47 am

I bought a tungsten carbide wedding band on Amazon in 2010. I recall it being $23 (with free shipping and, back then, no sales tax...).

I have worn it every day since then. It feels great and looks almost the same as the day I got it. (I am looking at it closely now, and I can see some light scratches.) I don't wear any other jewelry.

No regrets at all.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:50 am

i don't wear jewelry but if i did the first place i'd look would be costco. amazon would be my 2nd choice.

noraz123

Post by noraz123 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:32 pm

For the price, I would recommend buying two rings. A buddy of mine had a similar ring that ended up cracking. The material is very hard and likely to never scratch, but it is brittle and could break. I think my buddy dropped the ring on his bathroom floor (tile) and that was enough for it to crack.

While you can always buy another ring later if/when it breaks, now that I am married, I see the value of investing $17 in a second ring to be able to keep wearing the same ring should it break.

Goblue97

Post by Goblue97 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:53 pm

I looked in the jewelry stores as well for a tungsten band and they were around $500. So I bought one on Amazon for $40 and have no complaints. However, pay wife insists I not publicize that price, except to you folks of course.

Martello Shores

Post by Martello Shores » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:59 pm

I bought a pricey platinum replacement for DH on amazon and we were both pleased until, accompanying son to a physics class, teacher tested it and pronounced it (publicly!) a lesser alloy blend and not as shiny or something in long run. How embarrassing! He still wears it and likes it, but perhaps not quite so much?

chaz

Post by chaz » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:08 pm

Used jewelry store.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

fizxman

Post by fizxman » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:33 pm

dbCooperAir wrote:I see this rings come up on Slickdeals often for $5-$9. You will find lots of comments about them.
http://slickdeals.net/f/7565394-tanga-r ... e-shipping
This is where I got my wedding ring.

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:34 pm

Wow, thank you all for sharing your experiences and opinions.

I am probably going to buy the $17 ring. It's essentially risk-free anyway.

DVMResident

Post by DVMResident » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:57 pm

I got a tungsten wedding ring from Amazon for $28 (w/shipping and tax).* Very happy with it.

*Ha, only on BH could you feel like a big spender getting a $28 wedding ring! :wink:

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:01 pm

DVMResident wrote:*Ha, only on BH could you feel like a big spender getting a $28 wedding ring! :wink:
Exactly. If this topic were discussed anywhere except on the Bogleheads, one would be considered super cheap for even suggesting spending such a ridiculously low amount. The rule of thumb out in the rest of the world is that you should spend at least 2 - 4 weeks gross income on wedding or engagement rings, otherwise you are a cheapskate. I know someone who recently spent $10,000 on an engagement ring.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:10 pm

mptfan wrote:
DVMResident wrote:*Ha, only on BH could you feel like a big spender getting a $28 wedding ring! :wink:
Exactly. If this topic were discussed anywhere except on the Bogleheads, one would be considered super cheap for even suggesting spending such a ridiculously low amount. The rule of thumb out in the rest of the world is that you should spend at least 2 - 4 weeks gross income on wedding or engagement rings, otherwise you are a cheapskate.
I think it is a tad different with male wedding bands. I don't think I personally know another Boglehead in real life, but the huge majority of married men I know have wedding bands which costed less than a tank of gas. Most men care significantly more about the ring on their fiancee/wife's finger than they do about the one on theirs.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:11 pm

stoptothink wrote:
mptfan wrote:
Exactly. If this topic were discussed anywhere except on the Bogleheads, one would be considered super cheap for even suggesting spending such a ridiculously low amount. The rule of thumb out in the rest of the world is that you should spend at least 2 - 4 weeks gross income on wedding or engagement rings, otherwise you are a cheapskate.
I think it is a tad different with male wedding bands. I don't think I personally know another Boglehead in real life, but the huge majority of married men I know have wedding bands which costed less than a tank of gas. Most men care significantly more about the ring on their fiancee/wife's finger than they do about the one on theirs.
I agree it is different, but I would bet that most women who expect to wear a ring that costs thousands of dollars would not be happy with their husbands wearing a "cheap" tungston band because it would reflect badly on them (the wife) that their husband was so cheap. Also, I think most women would expect the wedding bands to be matching, and most women would not be ok with matching their band to their husband's "cheap" band.

I can imagine the conversation when shopping for wedding bands...

Future Wife: Honey, I like this matching set of gold wedding bands, they are perfect for us! (they cost thousands of dollars)

Future Husband: That's fine honey, pick out whatever band you want for yourself, but I don't want to spend the money on a matching set, I am going to get mine on Amazon for less than $100.
Last edited by mptfan on Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Ron

Post by Ron » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:15 pm

Nope.

I was married a quarter-century before Amazon was founded 8-) ...

- Ron

PowDay

Post by PowDay » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:11 pm

I bought mine on amazon, I like knowing that if I ever lose it, I have the exact ring in my order history, and can have a replacement in 48 hours via prime.

I went with a $300 white gold ring, I wanted gold to ensure it could easily be cut off in an accident.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:26 pm

I must say that I absolutely love my ring, get compliments on how good it looks, and not have to be terrified if something ultimately does happen to it. I had a very nice titanium band that cost $150 before, but over the past two years, it got lots of scratches and scuffs. Still, I think I saw Amazon having that same style as my $150 ring too (looks like http://www.amazon.com/Polish-Finish-Tit ... m+band+8mm).

If I was NOT looking for Tungsten Carbide because I'm rough on rings/my hands, then I would have gotten one of the black rings with a wooden inlay. Looks great (online) in my opinion, but it wasn't what I was looking for.

69chevy

Post by 69chevy » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:35 pm

Dang I wish I would have, the one I have now is basically this titanium ring but I paid about $150 for it at a jewelry store.

oneleaf

Post by oneleaf » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:04 pm

I am extremely satisfied with both of our wedding bands, purchased from https://www.e-weddingbands.com/.

We ended up getting platinum and they were about half the price of local jewelers, and the quality is excellent. And it includes engraving and expedited/insured shipping.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:07 pm

Isn't it her job to buy a wedding band for you? Why do you have to worry about it?

Regarding the titanium and other harder metals for rings, keep in mind that if you injure your finger and it has to be cut off it is a serious pain in the arse. Gold is like butter in comparison to the harder metals. I can cut off a gold ring in a minute, but it would be faster to cut off your finger than that titanium ring.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

LordB

Post by LordB » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:12 pm

jburke wrote:I just purchased this titanium wedding ring for $10 and love it:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034E ... UTF8&psc=1

I now have 4 different rings (all under $20) of different shapes and materials. I'm all for diversifying wedding ring portfolios.
This is bogleheads... You should be buying a wedding ring index fund rather than trying to assemble the components yourself.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:18 pm

EmergDoc wrote:Isn't it her job to buy a wedding band for you? Why do you have to worry about it?

Regarding the titanium and other harder metals for rings, keep in mind that if you injure your finger and it has to be cut off it is a serious pain in the arse. Gold is like butter in comparison to the harder metals. I can cut off a gold ring in a minute, but it would be faster to cut off your finger than that titanium ring.
Don't you have any "cutting-edge" tools, Doc? :D
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:24 pm

mptfan wrote: I know someone who recently spent $10,000 on an engagement ring.
That's outrageous!!!
He could have bought TWO watches.

mjdaniel

Post by mjdaniel » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:24 pm

My wife got a nice diamond ring, and I got 5 small diamonds in a channel set for our wedding. It was nice at first, but at times I felt like a needed a walking stick and a fur coat when I walked down the street. As turned out, I ended up getting a $70 dollar band from Service Merchandise. (remember them, wholesale house, catalog). Since then, my wife had my original ring redone as an anniversary present to herself, and we are both happy. In all honesty, you spend a little time in the beginning admiring your nice ring. I think the wife continues this for quite a long time. As long as the guy has the wedding indicator on the left ring finger, I think that is all the wife wants.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:55 pm

I have a traditional golden wedding band, don't remember what I paid for it in 1971. I learned fast that you have to watch out when closing the door with the hand which has the wedding band on it. The first year my wedding band hindered a finger of my hand to pass through the closing door, it hurt. I no longer wear a wedding band inside the house and in the yard, like when sanding wood with sandpaper with that hand. My wife tells me to take it off should I wear it while going into the yard, but I better wear it otherwise leaving the house.

gardemanger

Post by gardemanger » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:09 pm

$8.50 sterling silver band from a cart at Ghirardelli Square. The other one cost $10.

jayjayc

Post by jayjayc » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:54 pm

OP,

I recently ordered the same exact ring that you're interested in. It looks fantastic but it's very uncomfortable when you try to close your fingers or make a fist. The ring will dig into your pinky and middle finger. The ring will feel fine when your fingers are spread apart like when you're typing. I ended up ordering a new thinner ring.

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:26 pm

EmergDoc wrote:Isn't it her job to buy a wedding band for you? Why do you have to worry about it?

We're buying them together.

Come on, Doc, you wouldn't cut off my finger. Cut the ring for crying out loud!

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:29 pm

jayjayc wrote:OP,

I recently ordered the same exact ring that you're interested in. It looks fantastic but it's very uncomfortable when you try to close your fingers or make a fist. The ring will dig into your pinky and middle finger. The ring will feel fine when your fingers are spread apart like when you're typing. I ended up ordering a new thinner ring.
Thanks for this. It's tough to tell how thick they are online. I assume you're not talking about the 6 mm, rather, the thickness the other way that is not typically measured.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:33 am

Triple digit golfer wrote:

We're buying them together.

Come on, Doc, you wouldn't cut off my finger. Cut the ring for crying out loud!
It takes forever with a diamond tipped saw blade. Must have been at least 30-60 minutes and two blades.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:52 am

One afternoon while my husband was playing with the dog, when the dog leaped to snap a toy out of his hands one of his teeth caught in my husband's wedding band. The tooth literally ripped open part of the side of the gold band. Fortunately my husband's finger was not hurt, except for being a bit sore, nor was the dog hurt. I suspect the situation would have been different had the ring been titanium or tungsten. A kind jeweler repaired the ring for free.

lululu

Post by lululu » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:39 am

Least romantic thread ever.

I am not a fan of spending big bucks on a wedding or rings, but $17? :oops:

saladdin

Post by saladdin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:47 am

lululu wrote:Least romantic thread ever.

I am not a fan of spending big bucks on a wedding or rings, but $17? :oops:
Weird. I can only think of one friend who actually wears his band. I've never heard their wife, or been told by my friends, that it's an issue. But also in my group of friends my best friend spent $1200 for his wife's ring and is considered to be the "most spent" by the same group. Some of the wives only wear a simple band, no ring.

I have learned wedding traditions are regional but hope this is a sign that people are learning how much yyou spend on a symbol means nothing compared to the actual marriage.

scb175

Post by scb175 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:03 am

Hey OP, i'm going through the same process. I have been looking on Amazon, Overstock, and Eweddingbands.com. I found this site referred from the Pricescope forum..... http://infinitytungsten.com/
All of their rings are $39 and these are the ones I have been looking at. http://infinitytungsten.com/collections ... sten-rings They have lifetime warranty, plus if you add the ring to your cart and forget about it, they will email you a 10% off coupon which basically gets rid of the shipping.

Edit: Just wanted to add to try and make sure to stick to the 2mm thickness or else you will have some of the uncomfortable feeling that others have discussed.

westie

Post by westie » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:15 am

Been married 40 years, bought wedding bands at Two Guys in Middletown NJ in 1974. Never really liked the feel of it (too thick). Took it off a lot, eventually lost it. Identified an identical looking band on Ebay and purchased it about 10 years ago. Looked great! Wore it for about 2 weeks, ring dulled, finger turned green, confessed, went together and bought a new one, much more comfortable now, I leave it on....