[ID verification required to use Google Wallet]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
protagonist

[ID verification required to use Google Wallet]

Post by protagonist » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:52 pm

[misleading title edited by admin alex]

I have used Google Voice for the past 3-4 years , largely to to make inexpensive phone calls abroad, and have replenished my account several times without issues.

When I tried replenishing my account last week, Google would not accept my money.

Upon contacting them I received the following email:

Hello,

As you may have noticed, you're currently unable to place new orders with your Google Wallet. My team has had to temporarily suspend your account because European law requires payment providers like Google Wallet to verify customer identity.

To lift this suspension and ensure the security of your account, please complete our form and provide the requested documents. If you don't supply the information needed to verify your identity, my team may have to close your Google Wallet.

The form I was to complete was as follows:

Contact us about account verification

As you may know from your existing banking relationships, European law requires that payments providers take steps to verify the identities of their customers. Google has designed procedures to comply with those requirements while protecting and respecting the confidentiality of your personal information.

To resolve this issue, you'll need to scan the following verification documents to your computer and then upload them below.

Until we receive and verify the requested documents, future orders will not be processed. Please do not create additional accounts.

If you choose not to submit these verification documents, your account will remain suspended and you will not be able to place orders or access your Google Wallet.

Government-Issued Identification *
Identification cannot be expired.
Driver's license
Passport information page
National identification card
State-issued identification
Permanent residence card
A different form of government-issued identification
Submit an attachment *

Billing address verification *
Bank statement
Credit/debit card statement
Utility bill
Submit an attachment *

I consider this outrageous. My account with Google has always been in good standing and I have an excellent credit rating. One need not supply this degree of information even when applying for a credit card, but Google wants me to provide this info. to buy $10 worth of calling credit. I will not do so.

Has anybody else experienced this? If the next time I try to download a paid app to my android phone I get a similar message, I will switch back to iPhone.

Rob5TCP

Re: Google takes invasiveness to a new level

Post by Rob5TCP » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:12 pm

Why should that be a surprise - gmail, android, all Google products are exceptionally invasive. This one just crosses another line.
Good way to link all of you info together so they have a complete "profile" of you.

I use the Tor browser whenever I use Gmail. For my phone, I have never accepted Google updates
therefore they do not have access to much of my records (you are given a warning anytime you
update in android telling you of what new access it requires).

The standard FLASHLIGHT in the android is another info collecting machine. A ^#$%$%
flashlight has complete access to your personal information.

I switched to privacy flashlight. The less Google knows about me, the better.

harryw

Post by harryw » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:19 pm

As you may know from your existing banking relationships, European law requires that payments providers take steps to verify the identities of their customers
And you blame Google for this?

charles_shaw

Post by charles_shaw » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:21 pm

They clearly state this is for legal compliance. Why be outraged at Google?

I recently opened an account at Vanguard and they required a copy of two forms of identification to verify my identity (as required by the U.S. government).

richard

Post by richard » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:22 pm

European law requires that payments providers take steps to verify the identities of their customers.
Do you have any reason to believe this is not true or not applicable?

As Charles wrote, your issue seems to be with the EU, not Google.

prudent

Post by prudent » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:26 pm

Is the OP subject to European law?

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:34 pm

I wouldn't worry about it :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

richard

Post by richard » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:36 pm

Rob5TCP wrote:<>The standard FLASHLIGHT in the android is another info collecting machine. A ^#$%$%
flashlight has complete access to your personal information.<>
This is not actually true. The flashlight built into the new lollipop does not require any information. There was no "standard" flashlight for earlier versions, just a number of flashlight apps.

For earlier versions, you had your choice of flashlight apps, some of which collect information, some don't. A full list of permissions is presented before you install an app. It was your choice.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:38 pm

prudent wrote:Is the OP subject to European law?
Is OP making calls to an EU country (or able to do so)?
Last edited by stan1 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

g$$

Post by g$$ » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:45 pm

I don't understand how this is Google's fault. Sounds like the OP has an issue with the EU.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:00 pm

I wonder if this is about recent multimillion dollar fines that banks took recently for being found not in compliance with the "know your customer identity" requirements. It's essentially the government's attempt to reduce money laundering activities. Either Google falls under the requirements or is scared that it might. I seem to remember PNC recently getting clobbered by huge fines but can't find it right now.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:09 pm

Not sure I understand the request for documents. If you look at the list, it includes things that normally are never requested for any reason, and some that most people don't have.

I think I'm with the OP on the decision just to kiss this off as too much trouble/exposure for not enough benefit.

testing321

Post by testing321 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:21 pm

protagonist wrote:If you choose not to submit these verification documents, your account will remain suspended and you will not be able to place orders or access your Google Wallet.

Government-Issued Identification *
Identification cannot be expired.
Driver's license
Passport information page
National identification card
State-issued identification
Permanent residence card
A different form of government-issued identification
Submit an attachment *

Billing address verification *
Bank statement
Credit/debit card statement
Utility bill
Submit an attachment *
Malware masquerading as Google would love to get hold of this information. How can you be sure its Google? Even if it was, I wouldn't provide this.

harryw

Post by harryw » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:25 pm

Boglegrappler wrote:Not sure I understand the request for documents. If you look at the list, it includes things that normally are never requested for any reason, and some that most people don't have.
I think it has to do with the fact that identity in the US is much harder to prove (due to no central registration of domicile and no requirement of identification papers) than in the EU. I once had to deal with a situation where a Swiss bank wanted me to submit proof that I had never been married - feasible in Switzerland but impossible to pull off in the US.

Shadow_Dancer

Post by Shadow_Dancer » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:33 pm

Wow! :shock: . . . Are you absolutely sure that this is a legitimate request from Google and not some elaborate phishing scheme to steal your identity??

I certainly would not supply that type of information to any online request from anyone.

About three years ago, I registered for a Google Voice account. Initially, everything seemed fine. Then, six to nine months later, I began receiving phone calls from friends alerting me to the fact that texts sent to my Google Voice number were ending up on complete stranger's phones. And, then, one day, I got into my Google Voice account and discovered that Google had allowed a complete stranger to send text messages from my account to even more strangers.

Enuf was enuf! :annoyed

gd

Post by gd » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:40 pm

protagonist wrote: ...Has anybody else experienced this?
No one has answered "yes" yet. I'd make broader inquiries. I'd think that if this was legitimate, it would be a widespread situation that lots of people would be outraged at.

richard

Post by richard » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:43 pm

Google appears to require this information from businesses, https://support.google.com/wallet/busin ... 4488?hl=en

This seems to be the page for individuals: https://support.google.com/wallet/answer/3230760?hl=en

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:45 pm

Shadow_Dancer wrote:Wow! :shock: . . . Are you absolutely sure that this is a legitimate request from Google and not some elaborate phishing scheme to steal your identity??
Yes, though that crossed my mind. I cannot make charges to Google Voice. I contacted Google via Google chat and they sent me this email.

As for EU legislation, no, of course I don't blame Google if this is true. But why would there be EU legislation forcing Google to not accept my $10. via a valid US credit card to make phone calls? I switched to Skype. They had no trouble accepting my $10., EU or no EU. And I signed up for Skype with a pseudonym.

I suspect if nobody else experienced this, it may have something to do with the fact that, years ago, I originally opened my gmail account using a pseudonym and a false phone number (as I do with any email account, Facebook, etc. to protect my data). It may be an attempt for them (or others) to find out who I am for larger reasons. But since I have made purchases through Google via credit card, and since I have an Android phone, I assume they have my name , address, phone number and banking info anyway. They don't need my bank statements, passport, or utility bills.

There is no reason for them to suspect I am a business.
Last edited by protagonist on Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:50 pm

harryw wrote:I once had to deal with a situation where a Swiss bank wanted me to submit proof that I had never been married - feasible in Switzerland but impossible to pull off in the US.
So how did you work it out?

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:52 pm

This sounds legit. Google Wallet is a payment provider and the EU has some pretty strict regulation about payment providers. I'd just stick to Skype if it's a big deal to you. Skype isn't a payment provider so they don't have to adhere to the same rules.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:54 pm

We will keep seeing indignant postings like this as KYC (know your customer) works its way through the various systems. I can guarantee that, at least in my wife's company's case, it is not any desire on their part to know the profession of every customer; it is regarded as a very expensive PITA for which regulators are fining them for being late in implementing.

testing321

Post by testing321 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:04 pm

KyleAAA wrote:This sounds legit. Google Wallet is a payment provider and the EU has some pretty strict regulation about payment providers. I'd just stick to Skype if it's a big deal to you. Skype isn't a payment provider so they don't have to adhere to the same rules.
So if you use Google voice, why would you kowtow to regulations for Google Wallet? Or Google this or Google that?

in_reality

Post by in_reality » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:08 pm

protagonist wrote: But since I have made purchases through Google via credit card, and since I have an Android phone, I assume they have my name , address, phone number and banking info anyway. They don't need my bank statements, passport, or utility bills.
Most likely they are only asking for one item from each of the two groups. It's not real clear from the mail, however, "Submit an attachment " is singular and it says nothing about needing to combine the scans.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:11 pm

testing321 wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:This sounds legit. Google Wallet is a payment provider and the EU has some pretty strict regulation about payment providers. I'd just stick to Skype if it's a big deal to you. Skype isn't a payment provider so they don't have to adhere to the same rules.
So if you use Google voice, why would you kowtow to regulations for Google Wallet? Or Google this or Google that?
Well, if you're trying to pay using Google Wallet...

JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:12 pm

I ran into this in the US with Amazon for Amazon Payments, had to fax in the information. The fault is NOT at Amazon or Google's door but your country, e.g. in my case US.

While it is possible this is a phishing attack, this is not about Google being invasive, but rather about the government being invasive.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:13 pm

In which case, couldn't Google accept payment through Paypal? Or am I missing something in the meaning of "payment provider"?

I wonder if this will mean that I can no longer buy anything from Google....phones, apps, whatever.

And yes, in_reality, I believe they are looking for one item from each list. That is still more than I care to provide. A valid credit card with matching name and billing address should, IMHO, be all they need to accept a purchase. That is all any other company requires.

This is definitely not a phishing attack.

Apparently Google only accepts payments through Google Wallet now, at least for Google Voice. I don't know about for other things.

richard

Post by richard » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:18 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:We will keep seeing indignant postings like this as KYC (know your customer) works its way through the various systems. I can guarantee that, at least in my wife's company's case, it is not any desire on their part to know the profession of every customer; it is regarded as a very expensive PITA for which regulators are fining them for being late in implementing.
There have been a lot of indignant KYC complaints. Things were bad enough when governments were worried about money laundering, but the regulations have become much broader in response to terrorism concerns.

The Google request (an identity document and an address document) seems relatively mild compared to some requests I've seen.

ogd

Post by ogd » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:20 pm

The problem with Google here is not that they are being invasive -- as others have noted, it's because Wallet is a payment provider, like PayPal, which can store or transfer money so they have to live by much stricter regulations than merchants charging credit cards or even credit cards themselves. So they have no choice now.

The real problem is that it's one of the unintended consequences of the push to "integrate" things into "ecosystems" that every tech company seems to succumb to sooner or later. There's no particular reason that Google Voice credit needs to be loaded through a heavyweight payment provider, but it looks irresistible on stage and in shareholder presentations. Consider using a smaller provider that doesn't have such lofty ambitions and can focus on making their voice product best for their customers.

richard

Post by richard » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:21 pm

protagonist wrote:<>And yes, in_reality, I believe they are looking for one item from each list. That is still more than I care to provide. A valid credit card with matching name and billing address should, IMHO, be all they need to accept a purchase. That is all any other company requires.<>
Google Wallet is not just a means of buying things from Google, it's also a payment mechanism you can use to buy things from others. That's most likely why they believe they're required to verify your identity. In other words, they wouldn't need the info just to accept a purchase, they need it because wallet can be used to purchase from other vendors.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:27 pm

richard wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:We will keep seeing indignant postings like this as KYC (know your customer) works its way through the various systems. I can guarantee that, at least in my wife's company's case, it is not any desire on their part to know the profession of every customer; it is regarded as a very expensive PITA for which regulators are fining them for being late in implementing.
There have been a lot of indignant KYC complaints. Things were bad enough when governments were worried about money laundering, but the regulations have become much broader in response to terrorism concerns.

The Google request (an identity document and an address document) seems relatively mild compared to some requests I've seen.
In order to get a library card at my county library you have to provide a photo ID and a recent utility bill showing that your address is in the county.

harryw

Post by harryw » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:31 pm

Duckie wrote:
harryw wrote:I once had to deal with a situation where a Swiss bank wanted me to submit proof that I had never been married - feasible in Switzerland but impossible to pull off in the US.
So how did you work it out?
I didn't; somebody else did. After several unsuccessful attempts to explain to them that this was a negative I couldn't prove I contacted an acquaintance with connections in the banking business. Strings got pulled, problem disappeared.

Coles

Post by Coles » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:49 pm

cherijoh wrote:In order to get a library card at my county library you have to provide a photo ID and a recent utility bill showing that your address is in the county.
That has nothing to do with KYC.

yoasif

Post by yoasif » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:06 pm

Rob5TCP wrote:I use the Tor browser whenever I use Gmail. For my phone, I have never accepted Google updates
therefore they do not have access to much of my records (you are given a warning anytime you
update in android telling you of what new access it requires).
It's really not a great idea to use Tor to access Gmail -- or at least not as useful as simply using the private mode of your browser or using a different browser entirely.

The major reason for people to use Tor is to be anonymous, and if you are identifying yourself to Google while attempting to be anonymous -- it doesn't really work too well. It is especially bad if you were to use the Tor browser while logged into Google services and doing other activities that are meant to be anonymous -- an attacker could conceivably connect the two unrelated services to a real identity, since you were logged into Google.

My own preference would be to simply use the private mode of your web browser, or to set up another browser that is used only for Google activities.

In addition, the Google android apps are plenty invasive already, and include updates that you can't really say no to (like updates to Google play services) that can be used for data mining - like location data, etc.

If you really want to get away from the Google profiling in that regard, it's probably best to set up a completely new Google account for your mobile device that is unconnected to your actual identity, if you need the usage of logged in Google services like the app store. If you can get by without Google apps (or are willing to use a logged out experience), you can instead remove your Google account from the device and use F-Droid for applications.

Ged

Post by Ged » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:46 pm

yoasif wrote:If you really want to get away from the Google profiling in that regard, it's probably best to set up a completely new Google account for your mobile device that is unconnected to your actual identity, if you need the usage of logged in Google services like the app store. If you can get by without Google apps (or are willing to use a logged out experience), you can instead remove your Google account from the device and use F-Droid for applications.
Google is smarter than that. Start using your home wifi on your mobile device and Google will associate the two accounts via your IP right quick.

derosa

Post by derosa » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:06 pm

From the brief and incomplete piece of information provided about what they want -

it appears that they just want one copy of something in each of the two catagories - not everything in both lists. So two documents that you choose from the list.

And you may be right that they aren't sure who you are since you have stated that you furnished them with shall we just say inaccurate information in the past.

Try getting a drivers license in wyoming. The one you have from that other state isn't good enough. That is KYC at its most absurd.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:47 pm

ogd wrote:The problem with Google here is not that they are being invasive -- as others have noted, it's because Wallet is a payment provider, like PayPal, which can store or transfer money so they have to live by much stricter regulations than merchants charging credit cards or even credit cards themselves. So they have no choice now.

The real problem is that it's one of the unintended consequences of the push to "integrate" things into "ecosystems" that every tech company seems to succumb to sooner or later. There's no particular reason that Google Voice credit needs to be loaded through a heavyweight payment provider, but it looks irresistible on stage and in shareholder presentations. Consider using a smaller provider that doesn't have such lofty ambitions and can focus on making their voice product best for their customers.
This makes a lot of sense to me.

Still, it doesn't explain why Paypal , which has been a provider for much longer and I assume moves a lot more money around, is not subject to the same requirements. I never had to provide Paypal with such information.

ogd

Post by ogd » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:00 pm

protagonist wrote: Still, it doesn't explain why Paypal , which has been a provider for much longer and I assume moves a lot more money around, is not subject to the same requirements. I never had to provide Paypal with such information.
They do, in many countries. This Quora answer also says that in most cases, they're able to piggyback on the identity verification that a bank does for the linked bank account: http://www.quora.com/What-are-the-KYC-r ... -countries

Wallet doesn't check all customers, either. For example I use Voice for int'l calls and never had to do this. You just got unlucky and raised a flag somewhere.

Lafder

Post by Lafder » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:47 pm

I am still not clear if this is a valid google contact. This says they would ask you to sign into your account and provide info. Not simply scan or fill out and send in to an email address.

https://support.google.com/wallet/answer/105822?hl=en

Lafder

Alex Frakt
Founder

Re: [ID verification required to use Google Wallet]

Post by Alex Frakt » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:30 am

Googling the text of the received messages, it appears that this is legit. It usually comes up in relation to merchant accounts, but can also be triggered if there are general verification problems. Note that Google has to verify everyone using Wallet for certain purposes, they usually mange to do it via your account creation info, your funding source and public records. I suspect in this case, the OP's calls to Europe triggered an EU verification requirement that was more extensive than US regs require.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:36 am

Alex Frakt wrote:Googling the text of the received messages, it appears that this is legit. It usually comes up in relation to merchant accounts, but can also be triggered if there are general verification problems. Note that Google has to verify everyone using Wallet for certain purposes, they usually mange to do it via your account creation info, your funding source and public records. I suspect in this case, the OP's calls to Europe triggered an EU verification requirement that was more extensive than US regs require.
Good thought, though I have not used it to call Europe in months. My last calls were to Canada (which I believe are free anyway), and to Venezuela. And I had no problems as long as I still had credit on my account. It was not until I tried to replenish my credit that I confronted this issue. I can still use Voice for free calls.

It's disturbing to me that Google is forcing all of their customers to use Google Wallet, and don't provide other options such as direct purchase through credit cards or bank transfer or Paypal. Given Google's ever-increasing dominance (global information flow as well as commerce), I find that rather frightening.

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:35 pm

protagonist wrote:It's disturbing to me that Google is forcing all of their customers to use Google Wallet, and don't provide other options such as direct purchase through credit cards or bank transfer or Paypal. Given Google's ever-increasing dominance (global information flow as well as commerce), I find that rather frightening.
So do what I do and only use the free services from Google Voice and use Skype (if you think Microsoft is any better) or a dedicated VOIP provider for your toll calls. Google is the dominant player for several services, but it's not a monopoly in the original sense where you either accept their terms or go without. You can always work around them.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:52 pm

Alex Frakt wrote:
protagonist wrote:It's disturbing to me that Google is forcing all of their customers to use Google Wallet, and don't provide other options such as direct purchase through credit cards or bank transfer or Paypal. Given Google's ever-increasing dominance (global information flow as well as commerce), I find that rather frightening.
So do what I do and only use the free services from Google Voice and use Skype (if you think Microsoft is any better) or a dedicated VOIP provider for your toll calls. Google is the dominant player for several services, but it's not a monopoly in the original sense where you either accept their terms or go without. You can always work around them.
Exactly. That still works....sort of. But if they ever buy or merge with Amazon and/or Apple, the game might be over.