Car shuts off while driving - death, dealers, & liability

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Set40

Car shuts off while driving - death, dealers, & liability

Post by Set40 »

I own a vehicle that occasionally shuts completely off while driving. On the most recent occasion, my wife noticed that the key was in the ACC position instead of the normal running position of ON when this occurred. I believe this is the mechanism of the vehicle shut off. There is a recall on the vehicle for this exact reason.

We brought it to the dealer and were met the frustration. Although the recall was officially announced, the dealers do not have the part nor the process for the recall. The dealer is even denying that my vehicle's problem is part of the recall. They literally aren't going to do anything for this problem. They don't know when the manufacturer will get them the parts. Meanwhile, days go by.

I don't feel risking my wife and our 3 kids lives with a car that shuts off while driving. (Remember the brakes and power steering also turn off.) There have been reports of several deaths around the country suspected from this issue. How could I live with myself if my kids and wife crash and die when I could have possibly prevented it by getting a different vehicle.

My emotions are heightened so I need some help reasoning through this situation.

Additional financial information: Car is paid off worth $8-10k. We have $30k emergency fund. No other savings.

What is the best course of action?

How would I ethically even sell this car knowing about this problem?

What is my liability if the buyer is injured/killed from this problem?

Should I trade it into the dealer and buy a different vehicle or wait for the recall part to come out? (months, years?)

I feel like alerting the media or calling the corporate office. Is this a prudent course of action?

I am more interested in what YOU would do in this situation vs what I SHOULD do. Please help me through this situation. Your responses are very much appreciated.

*Edited twice for clarity, grammar, and additional information.
Last edited by Set40 on Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
livesoft

Re: Car shuts off while driving - death, dealers, & liabilit

Post by livesoft »

Calm down and contact your Congressperson or at least their staff.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
mathwhiz

Post by mathwhiz »

Have you tried another dealer? Make some calls. Any authorized dealer can do the recall.
ripete

Post by ripete »

I'm not sure if this is the type of car that made the news over a year ago, but if it is, I think (not at all sure) they mentioned that the weight of other keys, etc. on the keychain played a part in moving the ignition switch to the acc position.
I wouldn't want to put my life on someone's vague recollection of something published in the newspaper, but you might want to try to google the subject matter and read around it. Perhaps you may see what I'm fuzzily remembering. I supposed, then, removing all objects except the ignition key might help, but who really knows?
As far as whether or not your car is involved, I would say that if you go to the website of the automobile company in question, it's possible they may have an option to insert your VIN number to see if your car is officially recognized as included in the problem area.
The other suggestion, getting the public servant to help, is definitely a good one, and probably a whole lot better than anything I've written here....
Topic Author
Set40

Post by Set40 »

ripete wrote:I'm not sure if this is the type of car that made the news over a year ago, but if it is, I think (not at all sure) they mentioned that the weight of other keys, etc. on the keychain played a part in moving the ignition switch to the acc position.
Thanks for your reply. We took all of the other keys off after the first occurrence. It happened again the very next day.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

livesoft wrote:Calm down and contact your Congressperson or at least their staff.
Do not put anything on your key chain except the key. Not even the lock fob.

On the GM cars the problem is with a bad ignition switch. Too much weight on the key can pull the switch to the off position. I assume you have a GM car???

If your car is on the recall list you should have been notified by now. But unfortunately there are so many bad switches there is a shortage of replacement parts. I had to wait months until the dealer notified me one was available for my Impala. Then I had to schedule an appointment to have it installed.

If you haven't been notified by now then your car is probably not being recalled, and you are SOL unless you escalate the problem to higher authorities.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
toast0

Post by toast0 »

Given that it's happened a few times, you should probably be prepared for how to handle it. If you're going at a high speed, lack of power steering shouldn't be too much of a problem; brakes will still work, but you'll have to push a lot harder (but in most situations you should be able to let friction slow you most of the way). You may want to put it in neutral and try to restart the engine too. Overall, don't panic, and you should be able to come to a stop safely.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I'm not familiar with the exact problem you're having. If you mean that your car actually shuts off and you lose power assist on brakes and steering, that's certainly potentially dangerous - even if you're aware that it could happen, although it's possibly somewhat less dangerous if you're prepared for it. But only somewhat - I can envision many situations where no amount of preparation would help you avoid a collision.

You should be able to definitively determine whether your car has been recalled for a switch replacement. My GM car has been recalled for an ignition switch problem, but a switch replacement isn't called for - just something to do with the key and fob that's supposed to prevent excessive weight on the switch, I'm guessing (I haven't tried to have the recall performed yet, and haven't experienced the problem you're describing.)

If you otherwise want to retain the car, and actually have explored all other possibilities and the manufacturer refuses to repair the car, you may be able to substitute another ignition switch - although that might not be the prettiest solution.
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

The dealer may be honest with you about not having the parts. My Forester was recalled for possible brake line corrosion but I had to wait for parts to be available. I would certainly be concerned driving the car. Others have given you good advice to not have other keys/weight on the key chain. If possible call other dealers to check part availability.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
jesscj

Post by jesscj »

Could it be something else not related to any recall? Also you can have your VIN looked up to see if any open recalls exist at a dealer, any good dealer will gladly do it. The recalls from GM most are key modifications only a few models are getting new ignition switches. If you have a GM and already took all the keys off and only use the ignition key by itself and still have a problem it may be something else.
"Gonna Make It"
segfault

Post by segfault »

All manufacturers make tradeoffs with regard to safety issues. Honda had a seatbelt problem with Takata seatbelts becoming brittle and failing in the sun in the 1990s. They continued using Takata products, and now have an airbag recall to deal with. On the other hand, Honda was one of the first to commit to install stability control on their vehicles, and their newly designed vehicles all fare well on crash tests.

When I have owned a vehicle I would not be willing to sell to a friend or family member due to concerns about its condition, I have either (1) traded/sold it to a dealer (they are in a better position to assess/repair it than I am), or (2) advertised it for private sale on eBay or other websites with full disclosure about my concerns.
countofmc

Post by countofmc »

I would take it step by step and continue to escalate the issue until I get a satisfactory conclusion.

First, I'd stop driving the car. If this is not an option (you cannot afford a long term rental, no public transportation, etc) I'd ONLY drive it around carefully at low speed around town on predictable roads/ conditions.

IF I need to drive the car, I'd take the advice of others above and strip your keychain of everything but the ignition key.

I'd contact every dealership in my area to see if one of them has parts available or some kind of fix.

Then I'd definitely contact the regional manager, the corporate office, etc. Just keep escalating the issue. Heck fire off an email to the CEO. I'd document the times the car has stopped, point out the danger, and that you want a fix. If not, I'd request they buy back the car at prevailing market prices.

Then I'd contact the local media, my congressperson, etc.

At this point I"d get in touch with an attorney. Get some referrals, there are decent ones out there, and many will do a free consultation. You can at least see if you have any legal recourse here.

If there has still not been a fix, I'd look into selling the car. I don't know the legal ramifications of doing so when the car has a current known safety issue, however.
TX_TURTLE

Post by TX_TURTLE »

Set40 wrote:I own a vehicle that occasionally shuts completely off while driving. On the most recent occasion, my wife noticed that the key was in the ACC position instead of the normal running position of ...

I am more interested in what YOU would do in this situation vs what I SHOULD do. Please help me through this situation. Your responses are very much appreciated.

I would get out of that car immediately. No amount of money can compensate you if you get involved in an accident and you or a family member is seriously hurt. It is end of year, and very good deals can be had in remaining 2014 vehicles (previous model year). Better have a car payment or use some of your emergency fund and get done with it. If you trade in the car, it is the dealer responsability to make sure it is safe for driving, before reselling it.
investor

Post by investor »

Type your cars VIN number directly into Google. They will indicate any recall issues. At least that was the case with my two cars. One a 2014 and the other a 1997 vehicle.

investor
investor1

Post by investor1 »

If you are sure your car is part of the recall. Call other dealers, and see if they can fix it. Otherwise, I try providing proof to the first dealer (or any of them, really) that your car is part of the recall and request a courtesy car until they can fix it.

If you want to esculate things, you could always contact the manufactorer and threaten to sue if they don't provide a rental or courtesy car until your car is fixed.
lululu

Post by lululu »

I would not drive the car. I would not sell it to anyone except a dealer and then I would document on the bill of sale that there is a problem. I know this is a financial issue, but better to take a large financial hit than lose a life.

I'd pursue trying to get it fixed, but you may have to sell it to a dealer.

I would not be surprised to get zero help from the manufacturer. I own a Buick which had the bad primer/peeling paint issue, but it was not in the group of vehicles recalled, so the fix came out of my pocket. The goal of manufacturers is to spend as little money as possible.

I would, as has been suggested, contact the staff person at your Congressperson's office who deals with problems, and write a letter to the CEO with signature of someone requested showing receipt, and possibly contact a newspaper.

My recollection is that when the car shuts off, air bags will not deploy.
kenner

Post by kenner »

Set40 wrote:
What would I do?

I would immediately get rid of a potentially defective automobile that posed a threat to the lives of my loved ones, regardless of the temporary financial setback. I would not sell to an individual. Let's see if the dealer will put his money where his mouth is. Kelley Blue Book is a good guide as to fair market value of cars.

Eventually, there will probably be tomes written about this defect, but that will be little solace to the families that suffered grievous loss.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

I would stop driving the car - IMMEDIATELY!!! While no fault of your own for the condition, and it should be rectified by the manufacturer, dealer, etc. sometimes you need to undertake action that provides an immediate benefit to you and your loved ones, irrespective of what others are doing. No amount of $$$ will ever fix or make better some irrevocable injury (mental or physical) - I don't care what the court or attorneys tell you.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

While I would stop driving, or at least severely limit driving, the car until it gets fixed -- I WOULD FIX THE CAR.

Has it been recalled? Call another dealer to confirm. Call the manufacturer. It's not that hard to confirm if there's a recall notice in effect. If it's not part of a recall, then fix the car. Pay a shop to troubleshoot and replace the defective part(s) - just like you would any other mechanical failure. Maybe the ignition switch is simply worn out & not functionally defective.

I honestly think some people overreact to these things. It wasn't that long ago that seat belts were only an option in a car, or were folded up into the headliner & and their use not required, no shoulder restriants - just a lap belt, no air bags, a non-crumpled body design, baby car seats that provided no more protection than my daily Amazon shipment box, etc.. and still a lot of people survived the 1950-80's.

Take a breath, get some perspective... check for a recall, and fix the car irregardless. In the mean time, I would limit driving of that vehicle until you get the repair done.
HogsAndApples

Post by HogsAndApples »

The car before the one I drive now all of a sudden developed an issue. It would inadvertently lose power. I could be driving on the high way or in traffic if I recall correctly and no power. I took it to an independent every time it happened and had it towed actually. The car was paid off and had over 100K on it. It was a great car except for this one issue. I know this may sound ignorant but it so "old" that calling dealer or looking for an issue never even popped to mind - it sure would now. The shop could never find a reason and the issue happened at random. This was before any recent recall issue. I believe it happened a total of 3 times and was towed in each time - we did everything we could thing and so it appeared did the shop.

The first time it happened and after it was checked out, I just thought it was an oddball quirk. However, I soon realized that it was an issue and it scared me. I didn't want anyone to be hurt so I took the car to the junk yard, advised them of the issue and let it go. I purchased a new car after that.

I find it very troubling that your dealership isn't more helpful, I would take it to another dealer and/or get someone higher up involved - in the meantime, I wouldn't drive the car. At the same time I would also be sure I knew how to safely stop the car - any car - should it happen.

For me if a car isn't trustworthy - it isn't trustworthy not for me, my family /friends or other drivers / pedestrians out on the road.

Wishing you much good luck with this issue.

Funny, until I read your note it never dawned on me to think that possibly this is the same issue as the recent recall.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Some years ago, we had an Audi with a transmission problem. It had become progressively worse, and the dealer went from saying that they couldn't replicate the problem to eventually acknowledging it but saying they had to wait for some Audi-approved fix. And wait, while the car was becoming progressively worse. This dealer gave loaners for repairs. I scheduled an appointment, took their loaner, told them that I considered it a safety issue (pulling out, you could not be assured that you would be able to accelerate), and told them they would get the loaner back when my car was safe to drive. They told me that the loaner is only intended for the day or possibly overnight, and I suggested that they sue me. I had the loaner for a few weeks, got the Audi back with a repaired transmission, traded it in on another car, and will never own another Audi. It is not that other manufacturers are immune from problems, but I thought that Audi's cavalier attitude about our safety was systemic and corporate.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Here's the search by VIN: Recalls Look-up by VIN (from safercar.gov)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
prudent

Post by prudent »

cheese_breath wrote: Do not put anything on your key chain except the key. Not even the lock fob.

On the GM cars the problem is with a bad ignition switch. Too much weight on the key can pull the switch to the off position. I assume you have a GM car???

If your car is on the recall list you should have been notified by now. But unfortunately there are so many bad switches there is a shortage of replacement parts. I had to wait months until the dealer notified me one was available for my Impala. Then I had to schedule an appointment to have it installed.

If you haven't been notified by now then your car is probably not being recalled, and you are SOL unless you escalate the problem to higher authorities.
I'd start with the above - nothing attached to the key while it's in use. My car is also recalled and while I've never had it shut off on me, I don't have anything on the key besides the fob (and in your situation, I'd remove that also). Now if you already don't have anything else attached to the key, I'd wouldn't be driving it.

Would you be able to tell fairly quickly if doing that solves the problem while you look at other options?
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I would go to another (larger) dealer who might have more experience and let them check it. And/or I would insist that the area representative of your car's manufacturer looks at it. I had to do that once because of an intermittent problem with a transmission switch, and that guy knew immediately what it was. Checking that VIN is a great idea.

25 years ago every 2 years or so one of my cars simply stopped. After I waited 1/2 hour I could drive it again - it was vapor lock I was told.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

This just in today: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/car ... /21150625/
The Detroit automaker said in a statement to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration: "The ignition lock actuator may bind, making turning the key difficult or causing the ignition to get stuck in the 'start' position. If stuck in the 'start' position, the ignition may suddenly snap back into the 'accessory' position, causing a loss of engine, steering, and braking power, increasing the risk of a vehicle crash. If the vehicle is in a crash, the air bags may not deploy, increasing the risk of occupant injury."
Topic Author
Set40

Post by Set40 »

TomatoTomahto wrote:Some years ago, we had an Audi with a transmission problem. It had become progressively worse, and the dealer went from saying that they couldn't replicate the problem to eventually acknowledging it but saying they had to wait for some Audi-approved fix. And wait, while the car was becoming progressively worse. This dealer gave loaners for repairs. I scheduled an appointment, took their loaner, told them that I considered it a safety issue (pulling out, you could not be assured that you would be able to accelerate), and told them they would get the loaner back when my car was safe to drive. They told me that the loaner is only intended for the day or possibly overnight, and I suggested that they sue me. I had the loaner for a few weeks, got the Audi back with a repaired transmission, traded it in on another car, and will never own another Audi. It is not that other manufacturers are immune from problems, but I thought that Audi's cavalier attitude about our safety was systemic and corporate.
OP here. A few updates.

- I have verified that my vehicle is part of a Chrysler recall L25 by using the VIN number. According to a pre-recorded message after calling an 1-800 Chrysler number they are working on getting parts for this recall. The parts are NOT to dealers yet.

- We have taken everything off the key chain except for the key.

- We have discussed exactly what to do if this should happen again. Although without repeated high fidelity training, I doubt we would follow the correct steps during a crisis (car shutting off on highway in the snow.)

I found TomatoTomahtoe's scenario quoted above most similar to mine. Thanks for posting.

Getting a loaner vehicle until the recall is repaired sounds like the best scenario. Actually executing this plan will be difficult as the dealer will most DEFINITELY refuse to give us a loaner. They are charging us $35 per day currently for a rental while they are looking at the vehicle.

Does the dealer have an obligation to provide me a loaner until the recall repair is made?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Set40 wrote:...Getting a loaner vehicle until the recall is repaired sounds like the best scenario. Actually executing this plan will be difficult as the dealer will most DEFINITELY refuse to give us a loaner. They are charging us $35 per day currently for a rental while they are looking at the vehicle.

Does the dealer have an obligation to provide me a loaner until the recall repair is made?
You might be in luck: insurance loaner defective vehicle - Google Search

Here's an article from March: Loaner Cars for GM Customers Affected by Ignition Defect Recall
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ripete

Post by ripete »

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/general-m ... 26444.html

General Motors issues three new recalls, cites ignition systems
....If the vehicle is driven that way and experiences a "significant jarring event," the ignition lock cylinder could move into the "accessory" position, affecting engine power, power steering and power braking.

"Also, the timing of the key movement into the accessory position relative to crash sensing could result in the air bags not deploying in certain crashes," company spokesperson Alan Alder said in a statement.

The recall covers certain Chevrolet Silverado light-duty and heavy-duty pickups, as well as Avalanche, Tahoe and Suburban; GMC Sierra light duty and heavy-duty pickups, and Yukon and Yukon XL; Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV and Escalade EXT. It concerns models from 2011 and 2012, and 2007-2014 vehicles that have been repaired with defective parts.

Another of the announced recalls concerns a faulty hose clamp in 56 Chevrolet Silverado HD and GMC Sierra HD pickup trucks from the 2015 model year.

The third covers 152 of the 2015 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC 1500 pickup trucks over concerns the rear axle shaft could fracture while the vehicles were being driven.

Most of GM's recalls in 2014 were related to an ignition system defect. The compensation program received more than 2,200 claims for injuries and deaths as a result of the issue....
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Alas, the OP's car appears to be a Chrysler and not a GM.
Topic Author
Set40

Post by Set40 »

Yes my vehicle is a Chrysler. :(
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

killjoy2012 wrote: ...I honestly think some people overreact to these things. It wasn't that long ago that seat belts were only an option in a car, or were folded up into the headliner & and their use not required, no shoulder restriants - just a lap belt, no air bags, a non-crumpled body design, baby car seats that provided no more protection than my daily Amazon shipment box, etc.. and still a lot of people survived the 1950-80's....
Yes, and as a teenager in the '50s I can tell you lot of people didn't. I recall one girl in our neighborhood who was killed hitting her head on the dashboard when the driver had to stop suddenly. Metal dashboards and no seat belts in those days. I recall newspaper items of drivers being impaled on their steering columns in accidents, or people going through windshields. No collapsible columns in those days. I don't have numbers, but I don't need any to guarantee every safety feature added to today's automobiles has saved lives.
TomTX

Post by TomTX »

If you have safety related car issues, REPORT THEM!

Recalls happen because enough reports are filed.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

cheese_breath wrote: Yes, and as a teenager in the '50s I can tell you lot of people didn't. I recall one girl in our neighborhood who was killed hitting her head on the dashboard when the driver had to stop suddenly. Metal dashboards and no seat belts in those days. I recall newspaper items of drivers being impaled on their steering columns in accidents, or people going through windshields. No collapsible columns in those days. I don't have numbers, but I don't need any to guarantee every safety feature added to today's automobiles has saved lives.
I agree & I never said otherwise, but the fact is that people still die every day in cars irregardless of how many safety features you add or how many 'stars' your vehicle was rated. If the car switches inadvertently from 'run' to 'acc' while driving, the steering and brakes will still work - they just won't be power enhanced, and you'll still have seat belts, lights, horn, etc. This should be a road test scenario in every driver's training class in order to get a license, but not in 'merica.

It doesn't change the fact that the OP should repair the car & avoid driving it until it's fixed. But to junk or abandon the car just because an ignition switch failed is silly. Do you junk a car when the brakes need replaced? (OMG! What if it doesn't stop!) When it's out of gas? (OMG! What if it stalls!) Do you stop driving manual transmissions just because you *may* stall it and cause an accident? Just fix it and get some perspective - not the end of the world or even the most dangerous driving scenario the OP will probably ever be in. And not sure why we need 32 replies to OP to tell him/her to just fix the dang car - it's broken; fix it!
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

killjoy2012 wrote:
cheese_breath wrote: Yes, and as a teenager in the '50s I can tell you lot of people didn't. I recall one girl in our neighborhood who was killed hitting her head on the dashboard when the driver had to stop suddenly. Metal dashboards and no seat belts in those days. I recall newspaper items of drivers being impaled on their steering columns in accidents, or people going through windshields. No collapsible columns in those days. I don't have numbers, but I don't need any to guarantee every safety feature added to today's automobiles has saved lives.
I agree & I never said otherwise, but the fact is that people still die every day in cars irregardless of how many safety features you add or how many 'stars' your vehicle was rated. If the car switches inadvertently from 'run' to 'acc' while driving, the steering and brakes will still work - they just won't be power enhanced, and you'll still have seat belts, lights, horn, etc. This should be a road test scenario in every driver's training class in order to get a license, but not in 'merica.

It doesn't change the fact that the OP should repair the car & avoid driving it until it's fixed. But to junk or abandon the car just because an ignition switch failed is silly. Do you junk a car when the brakes need replaced? (OMG! What if it doesn't stop!) When it's out of gas? (OMG! What if it stalls!) Do you stop driving manual transmissions just because you *may* stall it and cause an accident? Just fix it and get some perspective - not the end of the world or even the most dangerous driving scenario the OP will probably ever be in. And not sure why we need 32 replies to OP to tell him/her to just fix the dang car - it's broken; fix it!
Glad you responded to my comment. I must hve misinterpreted your previous comment because I agree with everything in your response.
crg11

Post by crg11 »

I have never dealt with a situation quite like this, but if the dealer refuses to give you a loaner car despite your car being unsafe and waiting for a recall part to arrive, it might be time to loop in your car insurance company. I'm sure they wouldn't want you driving an unsafe car because of the potential of a claim from an accident, especially in a scenario such as a car shutting off on the highway. They might be able to help out, perhaps with rental coverage or putting some heat on the dealer.
david99

Post by david99 »

Do you know anyone who is selling an older, reliable car? If you do, you could buy it and drive it around for a few months and then sell it for what you paid. If you don't put much mileage on an older car, then it won't depreciate in a few months --- by then your car should be fixed and this would be cheaper than a rental for a few months. You will have to pay taxes and registration fees.
Frugal Disciple

Post by Frugal Disciple »

The dealer is under no obligation to provide a loaner. So if they know that a recall has been announced and they are waiting for the parts to address it, I am not surprised that they are not offering one.

Also, it is not unusual that the recall has been announced and they cannot yet fix your vehicle. Auto manufacturers will announce a recall as soon as it is official. If a part has to be produced to fix the issue, that could take a couple of months, but probably no longer than that.

I used to work in the customer complaints department of a different auto manufacturer, so this is what I would do:

1. Gather any documentation you have of the issue and if/when you have taken it in to the dealer for service.
2. Figure out what in this scenario would satisfy you. (i.e. if they provided a rental and fixed it would you be satisfied, or are you looking for a completely new vehicle)
3. Contact Chrysler directly. To do this you can either call their customer complaints department or send in a letter (I would address it to the CEO). When you contact them tell them exactly what happened including any interaction with a dealer, and how the situation could be rectified.

Unless there have been actual repairs made to your vehicle, the best you could probably hope for in this situation is for Chrysler to comp you a rental until it is fixed. I don't think that is an unreasonable request. If you are looking for something more than that, it will take a lot more time and effort and you will probably just end up disappointed. Keep in mind that every owner of your vehicle has the same recall with many of them experiencing the same symptoms. If you really wanted to fight for more compensation, contact the Better Business Bureau and open a case through them. It will be a longer process and may not give you what you are looking for, but those cases are generally handled by people that have a little more flexibility with resources to satisfy customers.
**Insert witty and/or insightful quote here**
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

I would never drive a car that shuts off on occasion. Report the car to https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ and dealer and manufacturer and congressmen and TV news reporters. How much would it cost to get it fixed? When it's fixed, sell it.

In the meantime, go buy a new car. Keep your family safe.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
VGisforme

Post by VGisforme »

Curious what Chrysler you have and what is the recall? Do you have an early Charger or 300? They had an issue where they stalled if you topped off the gas tank. It was a bad float in tank they now have lifetime warranty to replace the tank on those years.

Not heard of any ignition key moving like the GM recalls.
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

FelixTheCat wrote:I would never drive a car that shuts off on occasion. Report the car to https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ and dealer and manufacturer and congressmen and TV news reporters. How much would it cost to get it fixed? When it's fixed, sell it.

In the meantime, go buy a new car. Keep your family safe.
I don't agree that the OP needs to sell the car after it's been fixed. After it's been fixed, it will be safe.

OP, please let us know how it turns out in terms of getting a loaner from Chrysler. While I suppose they are under no obligation to provide you with one, I think it's good to spread the word if they refuse such a reasonable request while GM is honoring the same request...that's the kind of info that can help people choose which company they want to buy their next car from.
MnD

Post by MnD »

Why don't you just go fix the problem for now and seek reimbursement later?
Just put the key in. Then play around with it. Is the ignition key friction device (to prevent shut-off) so worn or broken that the key easily slides to ACC or off?
If so, replace the ignition key assembly part. I've had this fail on a couple cars (the opposite way where the friction got so high the key was about ready to break).
It was a few hundred dollars.

If with one key in only the ignition switch is so slippery that it presents a clear and present hazard, take a video of it. Then demand the dealer replace it with an after-market part and if they refuse make them document it. Then get it replaced at a independent shop. Save your receipts.

Key ignition assemblies can and do wear out due to the heavy use they get - after-markets parts are available for most models.
Think of it as a wear item repair you are making and maybe due to the recall you can get reimbursement later or at least have the after-market part swapped out for original at no cost.
Chrysler needs procure 10's of thousands of parts - you just need one and it doesn't have to be OEM.

Type your car name and year plus "Ignition lock cylinder" into Google and you probably find something like this
http://www.1aauto.com/ignition-lock-cyl ... Mgod2zYAtQ

if you are handy you will probably be able to find a youtube video that shows you how to replace it like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2XKzUAGl1Q
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
Topic Author
Set40

Post by Set40 »

OP Update

I spoke in detail with both the dealer as well as Chrsler customer service. Dealer said they drove it multiple times and did not see any issues at all with the car including ignition. When I got more assertive stating the safety concerns I had they promptly diverted me to customer service number. After speaking with 2 agents through Chysler including a supervisor I learned two things:

1. They ackowledge my vehicle is under recall and have NO estimation of when the parts will be available.
2. Chrysler corporate policy does not allow loaner vehicles while waiting for a recall. (GM does provide loaners for this reason). The dealer can provide one at the dealer's expense.

I picked up the car from the dealer and have tested the key while driving. The key EASILY moves from ON to ACC with very little effort. The car shuts off. After google search I have learned that older cars are able to do this but not newer cars. Is this a normal mechanism for a 2009 T&C?

We were making plans on trade-in until I read the comments from MnD above. Maybe I'll make another attempt at repair?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Put a pack of chewing gum in the console. Before you start the car, chew some gum, then start the car, stick chewing gum on key/cylinder so that it does not vibrate nor move.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

How about duct tape?

Just in case, see the disclaimer at the bottom of this page.
No guarantees are made as to the accuracy of the information on this site or the appropriateness of any advice to your particular situation.
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Had a Benz a few years back that shut off while in cruise control on a major freeway doing 65 (twice). Freaked me out completely as it could have easily led to a rear ending fatality. I brought it back to the dealer (still under warranty) who had their ace mechanic from Germany examine the car. He couldnt find anything wrong with the car and looked at me as if it was my fault. Couldnt possibly be German engineering could it?
I traded it in at a Ford dealership.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Set40 wrote:Yes my vehicle is a Chrysler. :(
And a recall for Chrysler ignition switches:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/chrysler-re ... 1425784116
Unfortunately, parts won't be available until later this year.
obgyn65

Post by obgyn65 »

What I would you in your situation? I would not sell the car. I would just park it until I am told how to proceed with the recall. And I would buy another car in the meantime.
"The two most important days in someone's life are the day that they are born and the day they discover why." -John Maxwell
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Until 22 years ago we had a Plymouth Reliant with a Mitsubishi engine. Once a year or so it simply stopped, I parked it for 1/2 hour, then it ran again. It was a vapor lock or similar. I lived with that for 9 years, then brought it to a junkyard for $50.