What do you drive, and why?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bloom2708

Re: What do you drive, and why?

Post by bloom2708 »

Wife: 2014 Ford Explorer (3 kids, carpools, seats 7, drives very nice, ~21-22mpg highway, so not that great)

Me: 2007 Ford Edge (90k, been an awesome car, smooth and comfortable, this will become our oldest kids car at ~100k)

Future Me: 2015 Ford Escape (Eeek out better mileage but still room for 5 and decent cargo space)

Several years back we decided that we'd stick with Ford. So far so good. No plan to change.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

bloom2708 wrote: Several years back we decided that we'd stick with Ford. So far so good. No plan to change.
I am just curious why you would make a choice like that? Do you really like the dealer? I also drive the 3 or 4 cars in the category I am looking at and pick my favorite. I don't have anything against ford but I can't imagine feeling any loyalty to some random corp
BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan »

randomguy wrote:
bloom2708 wrote: Several years back we decided that we'd stick with Ford. So far so good. No plan to change.
I am just curious why you would make a choice like that? Do you really like the dealer? I also drive the 3 or 4 cars in the category I am looking at and pick my favorite. I don't have anything against ford but I can't imagine feeling any loyalty to some random corp
I do the same thing, although it is not some 'random corp', it is based on personal experience based on past history. I stuck with Honda Accords for years, then I switched to Lexus until they let me down with a model that did not live up to Lexus Reliability. Now I am on my 2nd Hyundai Genesis. Chances are I'll buy a third as I love my first two. I'll stay until things change. Right now 'No plan to change'.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

randomguy wrote:
I like the blue oval. It isn't a hard/fast rule. If there was a compelling reason to go to a different brand we have/would again. We did try a Honda and a Toyota in the past. Neither gave me a reason to not go back to a Ford. I grew up riding in Fords. My grandpa and dad drove (and still drive them). It might be too simple-minded, but it simplifies our decision making. I know people do this with Honda or Toyota or Lexus or BMW. Maybe because it is Ford. If I said I only drive Honda's, likely many would just say..I get it.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 »

1. 2015 Spot Acme with Shimano Alfine 11 speed internal hub and red Gates carbon belt drive. Why? (Almost) weatherproof commuter bike that is a joy to ride. No chain, no exposed gears.

2. 2011 Subaru Outback. Reliable, all weather vehicle for days when I have go farther or carry more than the Spot allows.
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister
camden

Post by camden »

2010 Hyundai Genesis coupe.

It looks great. It is lots of fun to drive. It provides, to steal a quote from Theodore Roosevelt, my "last chance to be a boy".
DanMacMan

Post by DanMacMan »

c078342 wrote:2013 Audi A4: Great value for the money (~$45k). Comfortable interior, great (IMO) styling, excellent performance, AWD, excellent reliability.

2013 Porsche Boxster: My toy. This one replaced '02 Boxster S. There is no substitute. Vacations without golf clubs.

2015 Porsche Macan S: To be delivered this week (I hope). Replacement for VW Tiguan. Used for light hauling: dump (rather, transfer station) trips, vacations with golf clubs. Winter driving (we will obtain 4 winter tires/wheels to change out in the spring and fall).

You can probably identify a German affinity. It's the engineer in me.
Just took delivery of a 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo. replaced a Porsche 911 that was not "practical". The Macan is a great crossover SUV vehicle and I hope to add a Cayman a Boxster after my 2 teens head off to college. I drive Porsche because it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on :D .
ivyhedge

Post by ivyhedge »

What: 2014 Cannondale Bad Boy 1. I bought it in 2015, saving almost 35% over 2014 prices! Why: we live in a major US city and have no need for a car.
Polymath.
izreel

Post by izreel »

5 days a week commuter car is a 2001 toyota camry with 234K miles on it. Still runs like a gem.
for nights and weekends and when it's snowing 2015 Audi A3. Why? Because it's fun to drive and a tank in the snow
nolesrule

Post by nolesrule »

My wife drives my 2001 Honda Civic as a commuter car. It currently has ~120k.

I drive my wife's 2006 Honda CR-V EX AWD with about 76k on it. It's the family car. It's also our second 2006 CR-V. The first one (a new LX bought in 2006) was totaled in 2013. My wife loved the car and wanted another, and we got a good insurance settlement so we upgraded the trim package on the replacement.

The Civic has had a check engine light on for about 2 years now, and the diagnostics say it's a failing transmission. We're not going to fix it. We're thinking about replacing it with a new Honda HR-V with AWD later this year (it's like a mini CR-V with a Civic engine on a Fit base), but if the transmission fails before they are released, we're probably going to replace it with a 2015 Civic.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

2013 Porsche Boxster S - fun car

2006 Honda S2000 - fun car, Honda reliability and neither of us is willing to part with this one which is why we have 3 cars

2008 Lexus RX 400h - for carrying people and/or stuff and for inclement weather or if one of use wants the smoother ride for some reason
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

2007 Lexus IS250- my wife's parents bought it for her before we were married. Only has 90k miles and we plan on using it for a long time. Though it's 8 years old, it still feels current as it has features that were ahead of their time in '07 (push button start, backup camera, heated/cooled seats, etc).

2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport- we use this as the baby hauler. We love the tech features, looks, and price (we were originally looking at Acura and Infiniti).
sharpjm

Post by sharpjm »

2007 Subaru Legacy with ~450hp. Why? Because Racecar.
2014 Accord Hybrid. Why? Because racecar is unreliable.
ShenziNation

Post by ShenziNation »

Me: 2006 Honda Accord, purchased new.
Why? Because it runs. Period.
It replaced a '92 Accord that ran to ~180,000 miles, cropped up with too many issues towards the end so was sold to a co-worker. That car was almost flawless.

Wife: 2006 Honda Civic, purchased new.
No intent on selling/trading in either vehicle.

Mulling a purchase of a used beater truck for ~$2500-3000 for some upcoming home improvement projects. Around here, I can sell it later on at no loss.
AndrewS

Post by AndrewS »

Two vehicles:
1) 2010 Subara Forester with about 100k miles on it. Bought it new and plan to run it into the ground.
Why?: Driving in mountain snow, good capacity for holding all my outdoor gear when I go climbing, decent performance on poor roads.

2) 2007 BMW F650GS motorcycle with about 3.2k miles on it. Just bought it to reduce the mileage I put on the Subaru. Plus its fun. And I always wanted a motorcycle! But not a very frugal hobby!
AAA

Post by AAA »

Volvo S60 for safety.

Also Camry for reliability (and safety - it even has an airbag for your knees).
NaOH

Post by NaOH »

sharpjm wrote:2007 Subaru Legacy with ~450hp. Why? Because Racecar.
Best reason IMO
"Are you flying? Or are you simply floating?"
gbru316

Post by gbru316 »

2006 prius because my round trip commute is 164 miles on days I have class, 134 miles on days I don't. I've had it for 3 years and I pay less overall for this car with the loan (including gas and maintenance) than I would have paid for gas in my previous car. I'll never own a non-hybrid again, unless it's totally electric. Gas is a waste of money.
rmark1

Post by rmark1 »

2011 Hyundai Santa Fe, needed something that carries a wheelchair, walker, and family luggage.
2001 Dodge Ram 1500, bought off craigslist with 37000 original miles and failing paint just a few years ago.
rormcror

Post by rormcror »

99 landcruiser. I always wanted one and love it. Other than gas it's been cheap to own. A well kept secret. Get one if you can. You'll have no regrets.
Dulocracy

Post by Dulocracy »

My wife drives a 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid. Why? Her parents did not want the vehicle anymore and were nice enough to let us have it.

I drive a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta. I love the car. It has been reliable, and it had a good price tag.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
kristianfreeman

Post by kristianfreeman »

2002 Honda Accord. It's at about 160k miles and going strong – surprisingly strong for a salvage from a chop shop. 8-)

Why the Accord? It's a damn good car. It's not the prettiest car around (like a lot of people here I'm pretty enthralled by the Tesla Model S), but it's never broken down on me. It's still my first car (I'm 22, got it at 17).

At some point I'll probably get a new (used) car. Unless my average income basically doubles in the next year or two, it'll end up being another Honda, made in the last eight years or so.
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

I drive a 2004 Saturn Vue, four-cylinder with a stick (five-speed). I drive it because my oldest son, for whom we had purchased the vehicle when he went to college, wanted to get rid of it and I was driving a beat-up 2001 Taurus. Glomming onto the Vue was a step up for me.

(Note: I tend to be frugal -- the wife would use another descriptive word -- and we have five cars in the family. I tend to drive the crappiest model in the fleet, since for me a car is transportation and little more. As long as it A) runs, B) is comfortable to drive, and C) isn't a family embarrassment, I go with it. Not spending a lot of money on an automobile is Priority #1.)

I've driven the Vue for six years, and like it a lot. The size, driveability, and tall road views work well for me. It's got a 101,000 miles on it, but the little SUV has been durable, and runs like a noisy Swiss watch. My one misgiving is its acceleration. The Vue has the 2.2 GM four-cylinder. When I press pedal to the metal, I know the car has barely enough oomph to pull the skin off of chocolate pudding, so I have to be creative getting up freeway on-ramps. But I manage to make it work.

Plan on keeping it for a few more years. (I.e., until the wheels fall off.)
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

His: 2011 Mazda 6. This is the 4 cylinder variant. I drove the 2007 Mazda 6 until 2011 when I was hoodwinked at the dealer to get a new one for less monthly. To be fair, I went from a 4.99% loan to 0%. This was pre-Bogleheads.org. 200,000 miles between the two now without a hiccup. I think the Mazda brand represents a terrific value and is a bit more fun to drive than the Honda and Toyota standards.

Hers: 2009 Ford Focus. We married in 2012 and she needed an affordable car. This one had under 30k miles and I got it for under $10k with a gold plated extended warranty. The warranty has been useful.

Both are PAID FOR and that's why I'll continue to drive them. If we're blessed with more children I will be selling one of these for a minivan.

Mike
HurdyGurdy

Post by HurdyGurdy »

A bike.

Wife drives a Honda subcompact.

We got the Vanguard bumper sticker that says "My other vehicle is an IRA".
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

2007 H3 bought new.

Weight, ground clearance, comfort, style, unstoppable in deep snow (and as a side benefit it really horks off the progressives I'm surrounded by).

After owning additional benefit discovered is a huge enough sunroof that lets your shotgun passenger stand up and act like a Nazi tank commander as you crawl over tree trunks in creek bottoms.

And despite it's apparent size, the relatively short wheelbase and super tight turning radius let you park in the tightest downtown Chicago surface parking lot stall where most would fear to tread.
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

I always drive the cheapest Mercedes 4 door. I drive alot for business (about 17,000-19,000 miles a year), and like a comfortable car that is quiet and rides smoothly. It also has enough pep to pass all those Priuses and Volts that want to do 70 mph in the fast lane. (Sometimes one tries not to let me by and loses.) I get a new one when it hits 44,000 miles so I never worry about it breaking down.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
Lon

Post by Lon »

My only car is a 2001 Toyota Camry XLE with 85,000 miles in excellent condition. I am 6 ' 4" 195 lbs and 80 years old and this car suits my needs. I will probably die still owning just this car. :D
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

I have a 2010 Mazda CX-9 and put on around 1,000 miles per year. The gas mileage is not that good -18-20mpg. As much as I would like to drive a small economy car, I feel I need to be in something larger so I am somewhat safer in a collision. Lots of F150s on the road down here. Having said that, the Mazda is fun and drives like a much smaller car. It also has a relatively tight turning radius. The wife has an Acura MDX, which is supposed to be more luxurious but it just isn't as much fun to drive as the CX-9 in my view. We also have two kids so having two larger vehicles comes in handy on camping trips, carpooling etc.

Cosmo
Busting Myths

Post by Busting Myths »

Him: 2012 VW GTI 4 Door bought new in Sept 11. Fun to drive, practical, able to haul kids or a big screen TV.

Her: 2006 Volvo V70 bought with 65k miles in November 2013. Built like a tank and excellent safety ratings, able to haul kids and a big screen TV, more storage space and better handling than a similar sized SUV, excellent long distance cruiser.
nwrolla

Post by nwrolla »

This thread is great! Good to see what everyone is riding around in.

For myself I have a 2006 subaru impreza with 133k. Bought it salvaged in 2009 before my wife and I were married. It was our only car for 2 years and it ran strong. car is still great today though age is starting to show in suspension pieces. May consider replacing but I plan to sell in 2 years.

Wife currently drives 2008 subaru impreza with 70k. Car runs great but it will need timing belt, clutch and head gaskets done soon. Most of the miles are city driven very little freeway.

The plan is to sell the older one in the next couple years to upgrade to an Outack or Acura RDX for the wife and I will inherit the 2008 impreza until turns 10 or hits 170k. I am not a fan of doing the head gaskets clutch and timing belt again.
stevewolfe

Post by stevewolfe »

2009 Toyota Corolla bought new in 2008. 121k miles. Reliable, economical, safe enough for me.
2005 Subaru Forester bought new in 2004. 168k miles. Super safe, wife likes it, economical enough.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

I drive a 2013 Toyota RAV4 with about 7K miles on it.

Why? because I cannot be bothered with any vehicle that requires anything more than the most minimal amount of maintenance or lets me down for any reason.

In a couple years I'll probably keep it as a second vehicle/grocery getter and get myself something I've always wanted - a convertible.

BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
wander

Post by wander »

I am driving a 1997 Nissan truck. It is reliable, 350k miles and saves me a lot of $$$. I didn't have car payments for 18 years. And I don't care about its look. It's just a transportation mean for me.
Lindrobe

Post by Lindrobe »

Get around town/kind of fun car: 2013 Audi A5 manual transmission - you still can order a manual transmission, beautiful interior, decent gas mileage (25 city/35 highway), all wheel drive

Work truck/winter vehicle: 2013 Ford F150 - it is the classic American truck, has 4 doors in case I need them, and a bed that comes in handy all the time.
Hawaiishrimp

Post by Hawaiishrimp »

2002 Lexus - Bought new, now 120k miles

I drive it because -
1. It's reliable
2. It's safe
3. I don't want new car debt
I save and invest my money, so money can make money for me, so I don't have to make money eventually.
DanMacMan

Post by DanMacMan »

2015 Macan Turbo. Why? I love Porsche feel and it's my practical daily driver. I sold my 911 and love the power and handling. I ordered it to my specs and plan to keep for 8-10 years.
JPH

Post by JPH »

2004 Ford Focus. Why? Because it's there.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
stonerolled

Post by stonerolled »

2009 honda fit 70000 miles
the magic seats allow a bicycle with front wheel off to fit upright.
always wanted a base honda since I spent a summer in california and had use of a seventies civic.
Taylor posted once that total cost to own difference from base to high end can be $5000 per year and that invested over 30 years can approach $600,000. So I am trying to behave for as much of that thirty years as possible.
there is no doubt, the fit not only meets needs efficiently, it is fun.
Being from a Ford family, that new Explorer sure looks good though.
Sents

Post by Sents »

1996 Mazda - 120,000 Mi. Why? The car is reliable, well maintained, and is paid for. In a couple months, when I move to Berlin, I will voluntarily no longer have a car for a few years. However, I plan to buy the Tesla model 3 once I move back to the USA.
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets. For it and knowledge can raise men to the divine. | L. Beethoven
xystici

Post by xystici »

2000 Ford Focus ZX3. Bought it in 2001 (second owner) for $8,500.
Why?
Because it never breaks
Because is so reliable
Because is part of the family after 14 years with me and now us
Because the ROI is fantastic and getting better and better
Because is an american car
Because is efficient (30 real miles per gallon)
Because suits the millionaire next door in me
Because I do not have to worry when I ride back home after a long-distance run in the park all sweaty and dirty
Trust yourself, Break the rules, Don't be afraid to fail, Don't listen to naysayers, Work your butt off. "It is in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped. Choose now and well"
Joeinfla

Post by Joeinfla »

2005 focus.
Bought it for 4k with 40k. Did my homework and it has the same engine as a Mazda 3. Economic, 30ish mpg. Hasn't given any issues except for reg service such as tires and oil changes. Didn't believe in car payments. Now that i found this forum, I REALLY don't believe in car payments. Would rather save the money and keep saving it.
upperleftcoast

Post by upperleftcoast »

1987 VW Vanagon. Best vehicle ever made.
Hard top (not pop top) still good for camping. Wolfsburg edition. Pop up table, full sized bed, curtains for full privacy.
Only drive on weekends. Approx 20 mpg, little better on highway. Manual transmission, rwd, ok in snow thanks to upgrades and good tires. Excellent for carrying people, gear, dogs. Surprisingly fun to drive. Comfortable, great visibility. Cheap to insure but not cheap to maintain. Still worth it.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

2007 Ford Escape. I wanted a Toyota 4runner but found a great deal on the Escape.

I like 4wd SUV for the rare occasion we have snow in Va. I can get around. I also like to drive on the beach in Nags Head but the Escape failed at this task due to limited ground clearance.

I have a bad habit of calculating my cost per mile of ownership, I have put 100,000 miles on it but still feel like I need to squeeze out another 50,000 to 100,000 miles!
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
A-Commoner

Post by A-Commoner »

We have a 2015 Lexus RX 350 and a 2004 Toyota 4 runner in our household. My wife and I pick which car each of us gets to use for the day...though we find ourselves competing over the Lexus more often than not. :D Both cars are uber reliable. The 4 runner is 11 years old (bought new) but has not needed any unusual repairs besides routine maintenance. Every winter here in the midwest, I am reminded of why we love the 4 runner and its 4 wheel drive so much. We hope to keep it at least another 5 years. The Lexus is also competent for winter driving and very comfortable for daily driving, but its value is more for when we have to attend formal social functions (weddings, opera, etc).
karpems

Post by karpems »

Me: 2013 Awd Volvo XC70. Great size, built like a tank. Volvo safety. Reasonable MPG.

Wife's: 2015.5 Volvo V60. Small wagon with great practicality. Excellent MPG. Volvo safety.

Although we pay a little more for our cars than the average "boglehead", you can't put a price on safety.
ALinLI

Post by ALinLI »

2014 Dodge Charger - because it's full size muscle car fits my entire family and is fun to drive and looks cool in Black too. V6/8 speed combo provides good performance and decent gas mileage.

2007 Nissan Maxima - Paid off, train car. Fast, very comfortable and handles well for a large car and reliable low cost to maintain. Only 70k miles on the odo.
Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus »

2009 Fire Engine Red Pinstriped GT model Pontiac .........................................Vibe :happy
My second Vibe, bought used, great car. (daughter has first one. DW can no longer drive)
Installed a backup camera and bluetooth phone connector last Xmas. Keep my third phone in car attached

I rent a bigger car when needed
roflwaffle

Post by roflwaffle »

2000 Honda Insight - because it's +/- 10c/mile all in.
tiptap

Post by tiptap »

2004 Camry. I love the car - strong and reliable. It has 250k miles.