What do you drive, and why?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Castanea_d.

Re: What do you drive, and why?

Post by Castanea_d. » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:39 pm

My car is a 1996 Honda Civic hatchback, manual transmission, purchased new. [VictoriaF and SHL, I see that your Civics are from that era too!] It has about 135,000 miles, which shows that we don't drive that much (I mostly cycle to work or take the transit bus). The finish is starting to look pretty bad, but it runs great and has been very reliable. Gas milage has been very good; I still average about 35 mpg in mixed town/road driving. One problem is that tires are getting hard to find; it currently has cheap Chinese tires that are okay in the summer but terrible in the snow.

After going about five years sharing one car, my wife (who drove a 1982 Tercel for about twenty-five years until it rusted to pieces) bought a new 2013 Toyota Corolla. She drives even less than I do; it is almost two years old and has about 7500 miles. It is a good car, but I still love my Honda. It is a lot more fun to drive (except in the snow!) and it has more personality.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:44 pm

Castanea_d. wrote:My car is a 1996 Honda Civic hatchback, manual transmission, purchased new. [VictoriaF and SHL, I see that your Civics are from that era too!] It has about 135,000 miles, which shows that we don't drive that much (I mostly cycle to work or take the transit bus). The finish is starting to look pretty bad, but it runs great and has been very reliable. Gas milage has been very good; I still average about 35 mpg in mixed town/road driving. One problem is that tires are getting hard to find; it currently has cheap Chinese tires that are okay in the summer but terrible in the snow.
My Civic's story is similar. After I moved to the DC area I can get almost everywhere by Metro, and the rest is reachable by bus.

Please say hello to your Civic from mine,

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:15 pm

tuckeverlasting wrote:
Kalo wrote: I test drove the Honda Fit....you could really feel the road through the tires and up into the seat. Kalo
Believe it or not this is a "feature" I actually find desirable and wanted! I like to feel connected to the road. To each their own! The Fit is a small urban runabout great for tight spaces, been popular in Europe for years as the Jazz. Rock-solid reliable. Unfortunately (to my way of thinking) it has been "improved" and made bigger for 2015.
Actually, the outside dimensions of the 2015 Fit are smaller than the previous model. Granted, they have softened the ride, eliminated some of the crisp, gokart like feeling to the car, but it has defied the laws of nature by being smaller on the outside and bigger on the inside!
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

c.Alvin

Post by c.Alvin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:36 pm

Toyota Camry LE - 2011 (4 cyl.)

I am frugal, retired, and single. A car does not enhance my self image. The Camry is reliable, comfy, economical, and the rear seats let down providing access from the spacious trunk. I can store my big road bike in the trunk. No SUV needed here.

eharri3

Post by eharri3 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:12 am

2009 Toyota Tundra Crewmax with 50 thousand miles on it. Paid for.

I love trucks. And I have always had a company vehicle, so it doesn't get driven enough that gas would hurt. Even though would still be OK if I had to commute back and fourth in it.

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:21 am

2014 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5. Bought it new in late 2013 to replace my Infiniti G35 Coupe, which was no longer practical due to the emergence of two young ones. Plan on keeping it for a very long time. We settled on this car because:

(a) we need a do-everything car that can handle family trips, including trips to the mountains to ski.
(b) we need a car that can fit in our smallish garage next to another car
(c) we needed costs to remain reasonable

We also have a 2007 Hyundai Elantra, somewhere in the 50-60 thousand mile range. Plan to keep at least another 3-4 years (hopefully longer, but the wife might be itching for a nicer car by then), then probably replace with a reasonable mid-size sedan.

Someday, when the kids don't need to be in car seats and our financial situation is well in hand, I hope to purchase a nice, sporty car (probably a coupe) again. It doesn't behoove my best interests to think about that now.
Retirement investing is a marathon.

Marmot

2001 Toyota 4Runner

Post by Marmot » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:43 am

Awesome car with only 113,000 miles on it. I only put about 4k miles on it a year so I look forward to keeping it. Insurance and plates are dirt cheap. Why keep it, its a Toyota. Need to get the front seat reupholstered do to use. Everything else is still in great shape.

eharri3

Post by eharri3 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:46 am

Toyotas are awesome. I owned a Ford and a Dodge before this. My Tundra is the first time a vehicle has still driven like brand new 6 years after purchase. I will add another vehicle to my fleet soon but I do not envision letting this one go before it has 15-20 years or 200K-plus miles on it.

DFWinvestor

Post by DFWinvestor » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:13 am

2014 Tesla Model S. Biggest splurge I've ever made and I am enjoying every minute in this car. We don't have solar panels yet but are already on 100% wind energy. Even with current gas prices I am paying about the same (possibly a bit less) for electricity as I was for gas in my Camry Hybrid. The car's performance is truly remarkable, and there are not a lot of moving parts to service. I won't miss going to Jiffy Lube for an oil change. And I haven't been to a gas station since mid September.

William Million

Post by William Million » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:55 am

2006 Jeep Commander

I'm at a stage where safety trumps fuel efficiency, and it's a good car for the slopes and hauling bikes. Bought last year and will have to sell later this year. Fortunately, Jeeps don't depreciate much.

Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:02 pm

I drive a hard bargain, because I'm cheap.

tinkerman79

Post by tinkerman79 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:45 pm

Wife drives a 2004 Honda Accord LX. 130K miles on it and still going strong.

Since last week, I drive a 2015 Honda Accord EX-L. I mulled over buying this for over a year, but finally decided to get it. I like the leather seats and the other bells and whistles. Plan to keep it for a long time.

Until last week, I drove a 2005 Scion TC with 125K miles on it. We're going to keep it, since it runs great, costs 20 bucks in insurance/month, is fun to drive and can haul a lot of stuff when the back seats are laid flat.

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:24 pm

2014 Nissan Maxima that I bought new in August.
Bought because I wanted a sedan and didn't want another Accord (traded in a 2002 Accord that had 200K+ miles)
Found the lowest price I'd seen on a new Maxima (lower brand new than I'd seen on 2012-13s)
The low gas mileage isn't a concern as my round trip to work is 4 miles, but I love that I can easily merge onto highway traffic
I will keep it at least 10 years and it probably won't even have 75K miles at that time

tuckeverlasting

Post by tuckeverlasting » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:10 am

tuckeverlasting wrote: The Fit has been "improved" and made bigger for 2015.
TheGreyingDuke wrote: Actually, the outside dimensions of the 2015 Fit are smaller than the previous model...it has defied the laws of nature by being smaller on the outside and bigger on the inside!
Interesting...the true spirit of the Fit lives on! I have often seen this smaller-on-the-outside-than-on-the-inside attribute referred to in connection with it. :happy
It's Good To Be A Boglehead

MattE

Post by MattE » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:31 am

I drive a 2001 Saturn SL that was the first car I ever purchased on my own ($4300 in 2008 after my sophomore year of college). It had 109K on it when I bought it and is about to roll 170K now. I drive it because it still gets 32 MPG combined and runs like a champ with minimal maintenance, though it has started to burn some oil and general crud in the system has brought its highway mileage down from the 40+ MPG I used to get to more like 34. Everyone else I know who owns\owned a Saturn from that era has run them to north of 200K, so I'm looking forward to trucking along in it for a few more years. Kills me that GM killed Saturn as a brand; they're tanks of cars in a reliability\endurance sense.

keystone

Post by keystone » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:57 pm

I drive a 2014 Honda Accord LX. After 11 months, the mileage is at 5100.

I bought it to replace my 15 year old Civic that was still in great working condition, but I figured it was best to quit while I was ahead.

I was really hoping to replace my Civic with a new Civic, but the latest Civic redesign hasn't scored all that great among the primary auto reviewers. On the other hand, the 2014 Accord has received fantastic reviews in Consumer Reports and other publications. After nearly one year, I have absolutely no regrets and love driving the car. It's quite an upgrade over my old Civic and the fuel efficiency is impressive. I averaged 42 mpg on a recent 150 mile trip.

fatima526

Post by fatima526 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:50 pm

2001 Dodge Durango. 116k miles. I bought it in 2005 from a friend.

- it is the daily beater to/from work, and also used for gigs (musician w/ guitars, amps, etc) and trips to garden center

2008 Infiniti G35x, 76k miles , bought new

- very comfortable for twice/yearly trips to visit parents out of state, plus occasional other long trips

Both vehicles have been dependable, never left me stranded. I will keep both vehicles until they are no longer drivable, or become unsafe.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:50 pm

1990 Mitsubishi Montero. Best headroom of any current vehicle I've researched. Keep it for that reason, and because of its all round utility in mountains/winter. And its paid for.

Was by a MB dealership recently and test sat in G500. May have been unwise, as I now know its a great fit for me. Just don't think I could afford to feed it.

Looking forward to Montero's reintroduction to US market (2016?). Hoping they don't make shorter.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

astrohip

Post by astrohip » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:14 pm

BMW 550i Sport, 2014. Because it's the best combination of sport and luxury (IMHO). M5 is too harsh, Porsche drives similar, but doesn't have the elec goodies I like.

I've never found a better driving car for remotely close to the money.
"Happiness is not about doing, it’s about being." - R Branson

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:30 am

Castanea_d. wrote:My car is a 1996 Honda Civic hatchback, manual transmission, purchased new. [VictoriaF and SHL, I see that your Civics are from that era too!] It has about 135,000 miles, which shows that we don't drive that much (I mostly cycle to work or take the transit bus). The finish is starting to look pretty bad, but it runs great and has been very reliable. Gas milage has been very good; I still average about 35 mpg in mixed town/road driving. One problem is that tires are getting hard to find; it currently has cheap Chinese tires that are okay in the summer but terrible in the snow.

After going about five years sharing one car, my wife (who drove a 1982 Tercel for about twenty-five years until it rusted to pieces) bought a new 2013 Toyota Corolla. She drives even less than I do; it is almost two years old and has about 7500 miles. It is a good car, but I still love my Honda. It is a lot more fun to drive (except in the snow!) and it has more personality.
Could you not upgrade the tires?

There's being frugal, and there's being cheap. Cheap is where you damage the use or enjoyment of something by going for the lowest cost.

In the case of snow there is *safety*. The are only 4 small bits of rubber between you and death or severe injury. Of conversely between you and the death of an innocent pedestrian or child. There is a person who (not due to tires) carries the death of one of my loved ones on her conscience, forever.

Therefore I want 4 bits of rubber that are of good quality, and not overly worn. I am not suggesting Pirellis, but you can buy good quality set of winter tires for what $400?

tuckeverlasting

Post by tuckeverlasting » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:14 am

Valuethinker wrote:

There's being frugal, and there's being cheap. Cheap is where you damage the use or enjoyment of something by going for the lowest cost.

In the case of snow there is *safety*. The are only 4 small bits of rubber between you and death or severe injury. Of conversely between you and the death of an innocent pedestrian or child. There is a person who (not due to tires) carries the death of one of my loved ones on her conscience, forever.

Therefore I want 4 bits of rubber that are of good quality, and not overly worn. I am not suggesting Pirellis, but you can buy good quality set of winter tires for what $400?
The importance of a quality set of tires cannot be overstated. I upgraded my lightly used stock tires to Michelin Premiers and am very glad I did so. I suggest tirerack.com if tires are "hard to find"... also great for reviews. Once tires are five years past date of manufacture (this date can be found on tires) they may become unreliable, no matter how little worn. Why take the chance?
It's Good To Be A Boglehead

Velodon

Post by Velodon » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:44 pm

1986 Volvo 240 wagon- my 9th 240. Very simple car. Suits my needs. The car has a soul.
1990 Porsche 911 C4- Classic, iconic machine. The car has a soul. In storage during winter months.
I get tons of looks and compliments with both cars. They're similar as they are different.

midareff

Post by midareff » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:52 pm

Just got invited to test drive a 650S McLaren. They said I get at least 25 minutes driving time in. LOL, the checkbook stays home, I booked the RSVP.

tony44

Post by tony44 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:13 pm

I drive a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 240k miles. I drive it because I won it in a contest and it is a very reliable car.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:20 pm

2007 Honda Accord because it's reliable and good on gas. It's been virtually maintenance free regarding the engine and transmission. I wish I would've got leather though. My seats are a pain to clean. They're lint magnets and only duck tape gets it off.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

onmyway33

Post by onmyway33 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:44 pm

Currently I drive a 2005 Chevy Cobalt with about 113000 miles. Definitely an economy car and decently reliable as the only medium sized repairs have dealt with the weak suspension, which is exacerbated by snowy pot hole ridden roads.
My wife drives a very comfortable and surprisingly roomy 2009 Hyundai Sonata with about 60000 miles. Both cars are long paid off, get good gas mileage, and are relatively cheap to insure. It is getting hard to fight the urge to upgrade to something bigger since we are expecting our first child in about 3 months.
Maybe I will find some time over the next few months to put a hitch on the Hyundai so that I can pull around a tiny trailer for trips to the hardware store and a bike rack. Then again, maybe having smaller cars will help to stem the accumulation of baby paraphernalia that is looming in the next few months.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:03 pm

tuckeverlasting wrote:
Valuethinker wrote:

The importance of a quality set of tires cannot be overstated. I upgraded my lightly used stock tires to Michelin Premiers and am very glad I did so. I suggest tirerack.com if tires are "hard to find"... also great for reviews. Once tires are five years past date of manufacture (this date can be found on tires) they may become unreliable, no matter how little worn. Why take the chance?
+1

A good vehicle may be hard to replace, but good tires should be easy to replace.

Good tires change a vehicle's handling personality for the better. Worth the cost to order them if you can't get them locally. Believe your favorite tire dealer should be able to do this for you. Research TireRack for their recommendations for your vehicle.

I knowingly bought cheap tires. Once. Immediately must worse vehicle feel than OEM tires. Learned my lesson. Bought better tires the next time. Much better feel, even better than OEM, and vehicle was again a pleasure to drive. It was like having a new vehicle.

If you've got a mechanically sound vehicle and want to keep it, then put good tires on it. You will be much happier with it. Good tires + good vehicle = good driving experience = happy driver.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

johncunningham

Post by johncunningham » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:28 pm

On rainy, snowy, or cold days I drive a Subaru Impreza. Bought it new. Paid cash. It's practical.
On sunny days I drive a Jeep Wrangler. It has half doors and a soft top that has almost never been up. Bought it new. Paid cash. It is almost practical.
My wife drives a Toyota Sequoia. Bought it new. Financed at 0.9%. Why not... For our family of five it is almost practical.
I dream of replacing the subaru with a 650 convertible to drive on sunny days, and drive the jeep in bad weather. That's a few years off, but I hope it will happen. I love convertibles and hope that I have at least one for the rest of my life.
John

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:53 pm

2007 Toyota Prius... now at 61,000 miles (I don't drive much)

Received it new as a graduation gift

Rear-ended within 6 months $7,500 in repairs

Never had a problem, great car, more interior/hauling room than my old Cherokee.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:09 am

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited...because I love it. Perfect blend (for me) of luxury, ruggedness, comfort, and size.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:16 am

onmyway33 wrote:Then again, maybe having smaller cars will help to stem the accumulation of baby paraphernalia that is looming in the next few months.
Do this. We have #2 coming soon, our primary vehicle is a 3-door Hyundai hatchback and we have no intentions of changing that. Other than my wife complaining occasionally about having to contort to put our daughter in the child seat, zero issues. We've even had three child seats in the back for a short trip and been on longer trips with my bike (inside) with my daughter in the carseat. Other than having to borrow my mom's SUV to take home the ridiculous amount of stuff my in-laws got my daughter for Christmas, not once in almost 3yrs has that car not had enough room. Having a child doesn't inherently quadruple the amount of stuff you have to travel with.

twindad57

Post by twindad57 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:53 pm

2003 Honda Element with 74,000 miles.

I bought it in 2003 because it fit my lifestyle at the time which included a lot of running and triathlon. Loved being able to roll my bike straight in without removing the front wheel. I also really like the fact it does not have carpet, and is easy to reconfigure by folding one/both of the back seats against the side walls.

I could purchase another vehicle, but my Element is paid for (and was within a year of purchase) and it still fits my needs. If they still made Elements, I would buy a new one, but since they don't, I'll drive this one as long as I can. The only thing I don't like is there are no side airbags, so I tend not to want to put my toddlers in it. Our other vehicle is a Honda Odyssey so that is their typical transport anyway.

WormWood

Post by WormWood » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:52 pm

twindad57 wrote:2003 Honda Element with 74,000 miles.

I bought it in 2003 because it fit my lifestyle at the time which included a lot of running and triathlon. Loved being able to roll my bike straight in without removing the front wheel. I also really like the fact it does not have carpet, and is easy to reconfigure by folding one/both of the back seats against the side walls.

I could purchase another vehicle, but my Element is paid for (and was within a year of purchase) and it still fits my needs. If they still made Elements, I would buy a new one, but since they don't, I'll drive this one as long as I can. The only thing I don't like is there are no side airbags, so I tend not to want to put my toddlers in it. Our other vehicle is a Honda Odyssey so that is their typical transport anyway.
Element is one of the best vehicles ever made.

Why they quit making it is beyond me.

BenJ

Post by BenJ » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:12 pm

2001 VW golf. I have always liked VW. My friend sold it to me for about 1/2 the new price in 2003 with 25K miles on it because his new wife didn't want to learn to drive 5 speed. It has about 100k miles on it now. It's been slowly leaking oil from somewhere since I got it. Otherwise, great car. Will probably keep it another 10 years. One has to consider the cost/per mile or year for a car. We are looking for a small SUV so we can go skiing, etc.. in the winter and one that will fit 2 car seats, food for several days, etc... but don't want to spend the money yet. My wife would like a newer one. Personally, I'd buy something from 2002----2005 or so, preferably for around 5-7K with under 100K miles.

forevernaive

Post by forevernaive » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:26 am

2014 Volvo XC60 AWD T6

It's boxy but it's good! No seriously, it is very well styled and has the most comfortable seats on the planet. It's a beast in snow with best in class clearance, important as we get plenty of snow in the mountains here. It drives like a dream and passes almost anyone going up a steep grade. Clients used to seeing the interior of a Beamer, 'Cedes, Audi, Lexus or the like are blown away by the car. Paid cash and got a deal as they were making way for the 2015.5 redesigns (supposed to be even nicer--want to drive one as a loaner next time they change my oil...).

2009 Toyota Rav4 V6 LE AWD

Our non-professional workhorse. In the years Toyota put the V6 in this car, it was ridiculously overpowered--even in the AWD version. It's so light I have gotten 27 mpg on highway trips, but has the quickest 0 to 60 of any SUV I've ever driven. Great in snow and mountains, though its light weight and smaller tires make it a little less indomitable than the Volvo. Biggest drawback is if you roll down a rear window without rolling down a front window at speed, wind shake becomes annoying--a result of the extreme light weight. The Limited Edition was very reasonably priced for a fully loaded SUV with leather seats, smartkey, bluetooth, heated seats--and it qualified for Cash for Clunkers.

I don't plan to sell either of these cars until they turn 15, maybe 20, barring an accident or mishap.

The Dog prefers the Rav4's low loading platform, as she is getting to be a senior dog. The Wife prefers the Volvo for the seats. I still miss my old, 210K/1989, 4wd pickup (the Clunker) with the camper shell, because hey, when I was a young climbing bum, living out of the back of the truck was a good way to live rent-free and save money. Or maybe I just miss being that young.

WormWood

Post by WormWood » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:09 pm

2005 Tundra with 180,000 miles. Ready for a timing belt again.

Back up is a 2001 Element with 130,000 miles, great car.

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:58 pm

2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid ( ave 500 miles a week). Why?....... It gets me from A to B safely and cheaply.

bulldog1

Post by bulldog1 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:49 pm

2011 Toyota Corolla with only 10k miles on it. I bought it used last October. It was a 1 owner lease to an elderly couple who rarely drove it. I plan on driving it as long as possible

etf

Post by etf » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:12 pm

2013 mercedes cl65 for the weekdays, 2013 lamborghini aventador on the weekends. waiting for the 2015 s65 coupe to come out.

why? because life is too short for anything less than 500hp.

WormWood

Post by WormWood » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:17 pm

etf wrote:2013 mercedes cl65 for the weekdays, 2013 lamborghini aventador on the weekends. waiting for the 2015 s65 coupe to come out.

why? because life is too short for anything less than 500hp.
Winner.

/thread

Morse Code

Post by Morse Code » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:14 pm

Me - 2001 Honda Odyssey - 257,000 miles. I will replace it when something major goes wrong. It's rusting out, but just will not die.

Teenage kids - 1998 Subaru Outback - 212,000 miles.

Wife - 2012 Hyundai Elantra - 60,000 miles.

Why? They are all safe and reliable and serve a specific need, I guess.
Livin' the dream

Buster65

Post by Buster65 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:39 pm

Wife drives a Subaru Outback. Great for our trips to Vermont for skiing and hauling stuff. I drive an Audi A3 TDI. Small car with a touch of luxury to it without too crazy of a sticker price.

RapmasterD

Post by RapmasterD » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:53 pm

I drive a 2001 Subaru Forester S that we have owned since the summer of 2000. Why? Because my 2000 Acura TL died in the summer of 2013 and I took over what had been my wife's car. I figure I'll drive it for another five to 10 years.

My wife now has a 2013 Lexus SUV. While I now wish we hadn't purchased it new, we'll keep it on the road for awhile and probably pass it off to our daughter when she turns 18 -- that's in about fourteen years.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:01 pm

Morse Code wrote:Me - 2001 Honda Odyssey - 257,000 miles. I will replace it when something major goes wrong. It's rusting out, but just will not die.

Teenage kids - 1998 Subaru Outback - 212,000 miles.

Wife - 2012 Hyundai Elantra - 60,000 miles.

Why? They are all safe and reliable and serve a specific need, I guess.

You and your family spends impressive amounts of time in vehicles. Looks like the cars get about 20k/yr on them! If you figure an avg of 40mph :?: that's about 500 operational hours/yr for each car.

duffman12

Post by duffman12 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:12 pm

1995 BMW 520i

Bought it because it was $1000 :D
"Greed may not be good, but it’s not so bad, either. People think greed is just for money and power. But everyone wants something they don’t have." | ChasingGains.org

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:51 pm

2007 Honda Civic bought new, 90,000 miles. Given used-car and new-car prices at the time, I figured that I would get more miles per dollar buying a new car and driving it 120,000 miles, rather than buying a used car and driving it 80,000 miles; also, for the first three years, I would have a new car.

I bought the car because it was practical and I expected it to be reliable, which it has been. (I also test-drove it and discovered that I couldn't fit comfortably in a Corolla but was fine in the Civic.)
Wiki David Grabiner

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:54 pm

Subaru Forester 2014, with all the bells and whisles. Why? It seemed a good idea at the time.

I like having a car, which handles well in all weather conditions, is safe, dependable and lots of safety features and most importantly has great anti snob appeal.

However I wish I would have bought a second engine for my 1985 Peugeot 505 STI . I loved that car. It would have been a complete money pit and it did not seem to a smart idea at the time.

My next car will be Subaru self driving car unless I cave in and go to the far side and buy a black Cadillac Escillade with tinted windows.

Reason versus lust.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

RTR2006

Post by RTR2006 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:38 am

2001 Mercedes CLK convertible. Bought new in December 2000, and it has taken me over 230,000 miles. A few service annoyances over the years, but no major problems. When the weather's nice top down in Napa or along 17 Mile Drive in Pebble Beach... there's simply nothing nicer. Drove Hondas for 25 years before getting my MBZ. The Hondas were more dependable (hairsbreadth difference between the two, really), but top down this is definitely more fun. When it's finally time to replace I'll either get another MBZ or a Porsche/Aston, but it'll definitely be a convertible.

RTR

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:43 pm

2006 Nissan Altima with over 100K. Bought new. Its time to replace it, as I paid ~16K for it and think I have had good value out of it so far. Why: Its reliable, never left me stranded and has been *knock on wood* bulletproof in 8+ years of ownership.

Thinking of replacing it soonish with either a CPO XC90 or a used Landcruiser 200 series :happy

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:53 pm

My 97 year-old mother-in-law is about to forfeit her driver license because she thinks she is getting too old to drive. Soon I will be driving her 2000 Toyota Camry with 50K miles on it.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"