What do you drive, and why?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
BogleBoogie

Re: What do you drive, and why?

Post by BogleBoogie » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:54 pm

I drive a Honda Accord because the distance I have to travel for work is too far for me to walk.

BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:59 pm

dodecahedron wrote:07 Honda Accord which belonged to my late husband and has many nice creature comforts he liked (that I would never have bought myself): heated leather seats, GPS, moon roof (which I still haven't figured out how to operate and which intimidates me so I ignore it.)

But when I get in the car into *his* driver seat, and felt the seatbelt *he* wore snugly wrapped around me and sit in his nice cozy heated seat, it feels figuratively as if his arms are still wrapped around me. Car has 62K miles on it, and I drive far less than he did, and I hope to keep it *a long time*. My fantasy is that I will keep until self-driving cars are available!
I just had to point out that this was perhaps the most thoughtful and sweetest post I've seen on this forum. What an unexpected and warm response for a relatively dry subject matter. Happy New Year!

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

A beautiful post and reply

Post by Taylor Larimore » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:07 pm

BogleBoogie wrote:
dodecahedron wrote:07 Honda Accord which belonged to my late husband and has many nice creature comforts he liked (that I would never have bought myself): heated leather seats, GPS, moon roof (which I still haven't figured out how to operate and which intimidates me so I ignore it.)

But when I get in the car into *his* driver seat, and felt the seatbelt *he* wore snugly wrapped around me and sit in his nice cozy heated seat, it feels figuratively as if his arms are still wrapped around me. Car has 62K miles on it, and I drive far less than he did, and I hope to keep it *a long time*. My fantasy is that I will keep until self-driving cars are available!
I just had to point out that this was perhaps the most thoughtful and sweetest post I've seen on this forum. What an unexpected and warm response for a relatively dry subject matter. Happy New Year!
BogleBoogie and dedecahedron:

My car belonged to my late wife. The knobs, fancy gadgets and nameplate are almost meaningless now. Thank you for your posts.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Goldrush

Post by Goldrush » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:22 pm

I drive a 2001 Toyota Camry Le as does my wife. Mine has 144,000 miles and hers has 94,000 miles. Both are very reliable cars. Will consider replacing mine in a couple years from now.

FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:28 pm

2006 Nissan Pathfinder
- Great leg room
- Drives well
- Reliable
- Safety

The reason I bought it was I had a Nissan Xterra. Drunk driver fell asleep at the wheel on the freeway and made a left turn into my lane. Xterra was totaled. I walked away with only physical therapy. I figure if I was in a smaller car I would had a lot more injuries.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.

M_to_the_G

Post by M_to_the_G » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:34 pm

2002 Honda Accord EX V6. $5,000 cash. Purrs like a kitten, and looks okay if I may say so myself. As for "why," every dollar extra I would have spent on a nicer car is future dollars that won't be available to my old self to live in retirement. That's the way I look at it. Besides, I like the idea of knowing that I could have afforded so much more car, but instead virtuously chose to live beneath my means. In the end, no one will care (or remember, for that matter) what car I was driving in 2014.

As for those who say you have to enjoy life now, I say, "Really? In the form of a car?"

I'll never forget a day back in 2003 when I was working at my first job after graduating from college. I went back to my hometown and worked for a guy who owned an HR firm. He had this black Mercedes Benz coupe. One day, he needed me to get something from another office, so he tossed me the keys, winked at me, and said, "Take my car." Driving that Mercedes Benz was one of the biggest, most deflating letdowns of my young life. I had grown up believing that, once you stepped into the hallowed space of a Mercedes Benz cockpit, your life would instantly improve. Cherubs would sing. People would cheer. Or at least, the experience on the road would be so divine that no other car could possibly measure up afterward.

The truth? It was like driving any other automatic. A huge letdown. When I got back to the office, my boss winked at me again and said, "So, how was it driving my car?" I lied and told him it was the best thing I'd ever experienced in my life...
Last edited by M_to_the_G on Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"It’s basically the plot of 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.' If you stick around, doing nothing, while everyone around you ****s up, you’re going to win big." - John Oliver

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:50 pm

2008 Prius. Bought, Oct 31. We were told in Aug to expect Jan delivery because they had 30 orders in front of us.
Because we gave the 97 Camry to DS who was settling in the, Center of the Universe . We also wanted to control future fuel costs (gas was then falling from June's $4/gal)
Other car is 99 Civic, because it still runs and wifey said that we will go to 1 vehicle when this car dies. (I keep a 50cc scooter as a backup to her edict :wink: ) :annoyed
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:49 pm

BogleBoogie wrote:

+1!!

sls239

Post by sls239 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:55 pm

2013 Mazda 3

I was looking for a hatchback and it hit the price / reliability / fun stuff combination right.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:57 pm

What: 1997 Honda Civic
Why : Every time it develops a problem, the Bogleheads tell me how to fix it inexpensively.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

dimideme

Post by dimideme » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:13 pm

Just recently bought a 2015 Subaru Forester

Reasons:
  • Lots of cargo room was a necessity, as I just bought a house and need to haul around lots of tools, furniture, flooring, etc
  • Lots of leg and head room (I am 6'1")
  • Excellent full-time AWD provides great handling in rain, ice and snow
  • Fuel economy is not bad for an SUV
  • High ground clearance and tight turn radius
  • HUGE moonroof - it's the biggest I've ever seen
  • Great rear visibility, much better than CR-V
  • Good safety ratings
  • Good reputation for reliability

Confused

Post by Confused » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:25 pm

[Blanked for privacy]
Last edited by Confused on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

CMartel2

Post by CMartel2 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:51 pm

A 2008 Toyota Highlander. Very reliable, 3rd row seating for the kiddos, 4wd, snow tires. There are currently 2 feet of snow on the ground, and if you're driving a low to the ground 2wd 4 banger like I was, you are using your vacation days right now. That said, I may regret not going with the Sequoia if this keeps up.

Meg77

Post by Meg77 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:58 pm

I bought a 2011 Volvo XC60 a couple of years ago (slightly used) because I didn't want to have buy another car for 10 years and figured this one would last whether I have kids or dogs or any other practical hauling needs during that time period. Also I like the safety features, the solid/stable feel of driving it, and the nice-but-not-flashy image which serves me well enough in my profession when calling on clients, etc.

The car I had before that was a new Audi A5 which I ended up being very uncomfortable in (physically and figuratively). When I totaled it after only 6 months I used the insurance check for the used Volvo and the down payment on another rental property. :beer
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:22 pm

Bought a Toyota Camry Hybrid (2014) last June. Gets about 43 mpg hwy. Put 12500 miles on it to date. I love driving it.

DFrank

Post by DFrank » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:32 pm

My primary vehicle is a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser. I drive it because:
  • Toyota reliability
    Plenty of headroom (I am 6'4")
    Great off road capability - we use this vehicle for our off road/remote camping hobby
    Reasonable comfort as a daily driver
My wife's vehicle is a 2013 Infiniti FX37. She drives it because:
  • SUV functionality with great styling
    SUV functionality with great driving performance
    Very comfortable for road trips
    I fit in the car comfortably
We also have a 1999 F350 Superduty with the 7.3L Powerstroke diesel. We keep this truck because:
  • Plenty of headroom
    At times we carry a 3,500 pound truck camper
    Supremely useful for trips to the lumberyard/home center
    The engine should be good for 250,000 miles
    Despite being parked outside for most of it's life, this truck still looks almost brand new
Dave

Van

Post by Van » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:35 pm

2014 Mercedes-Benz 350 E class. Bought it new on 7/14/14. Why? Because I can't take the money with me.

RegularPerson12

Post by RegularPerson12 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:36 pm

2006 Nissan 350Z - husband picked out the car when he was still a bachelor. Bought it used from CarMax. It has less than 60k miles on it and we're just now running into problems - a tire sensor that won't stop lighting up, a driver's side window that won't open right now.

We'll keep it at least a little longer. We currently share the vehicle (I mostly bike) but looking forward to expansion of our family, we'll be purchasing a used Mazda CX-5. It has great ratings, is fun to drive, reliable as Japanese cars are, and is attractive.

c078342

Post by c078342 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:11 pm

2013 Audi A4: Great value for the money (~$45k). Comfortable interior, great (IMO) styling, excellent performance, AWD, excellent reliability.

2013 Porsche Boxster: My toy. This one replaced '02 Boxster S. There is no substitute. Vacations without golf clubs.

2015 Porsche Macan S: To be delivered this week (I hope). Replacement for VW Tiguan. Used for light hauling: dump (rather, transfer station) trips, vacations with golf clubs. Winter driving (we will obtain 4 winter tires/wheels to change out in the spring and fall).

You can probably identify a German affinity. It's the engineer in me.

NaOH

Post by NaOH » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:29 pm

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek - 14,xxx miles.

Bought it as my old car, a 2004 Pontiac GTO, was starting to have issues and I was going to be doing a lot of driving during my last year of school.
Wife and I wanted something with reasonable interior space/utility, AWD, and somewhat passable efficiency. Plus, I like 'unique' vehicles.

She drives a 2008 Hyundai Elantra budget special, 68,xxx miles. Purchased by her during residency because 1) she needed a car and 2) it was $15k brand new with warranty.
Nothing really special about it, but she likes it, and it's reliable and paid for.

My next car is going to be completely, utterly, obnoxiously loud/fast/impractical. She's okay with that. 8-)
"Are you flying? Or are you simply floating?"

TRC

Post by TRC » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:32 pm

2014 acura tl shawd.
Why?
Fast, all wheel drive, roomy, reliable, sexy

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:32 pm

1995 Lexus LS 400. 190,000 miles and other than a small oil leak which I treat by changing the oil and filter every three months because I am lazy, it runs like a top. I call it the fiscal responsibilitymobile

tj

Post by tj » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:45 pm

2011 Honda Civic. Why not?

Bonhomie

Post by Bonhomie » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:56 pm

1993 Toyota Camry, only 160k miles. Still driving because we bought my wife a 2014 Camry last year, and we are trying to save money for a house down payment. Hoping the old ride will last me a couple more years.

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:58 pm

We drive a 2008 Mazda 3 purchased new in 2007 that has approximately 75,000 miles on it. It's reliable, spacious enough for the two of us (relatively small adults with no children) and represented an excellent value for the money when compared to its competitors. Our previous car which we owned in a different country, was a Mazda hatchback that was not yet sold in the United States at the time we bought this one.

We also drive a 2012 Mazda Miata, which we bought new in 2012 that has approximately 10,000 miles on it. We bought it as a luxury purchase because we thought it would be fun to drive, and my entire adult life I wanted to own a car that I thought would be fun to drive. Choosing a Miata over other options was a no-brainer because of our previous success with Mazdas and the Miata's reputation for performance and driveability at that price point.

It's like that when our Mazda 3 is no longer reliable we will sell it and get by as long as we can on public transportation and the Miata. If we can manage this okay, then when the Miata is no longer reliable we'll get by as long as we can on public transportation/Car2Go/Uber/rentals and then go back to being a one-car family. We're hoping to get at least another 5 years out of the Mazda 3 and another 8 years out of the Miata.

dsmil

Post by dsmil » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:11 pm

1997 Acura Integra because it's the only car I've ever owned and it runs great. It will be funny in March when I'm driving my newborn around in my high school car.

skatterZ

Post by skatterZ » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:19 pm

2013 corvette
Because I can.

HeadHunter

Post by HeadHunter » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:41 pm

Strange you can't delete your own posts on this website.
Last edited by HeadHunter on Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:50 pm

stan1 wrote:
Gill wrote:
stan1 wrote:I negotiated a good deal on an extended warranty but so far have not needed it.
That's why most of us don't buy extended warranties. :happy
Gill
I wouldn't have done it for a Honda/Toyota, but when BMW turbo repairs can run up to $10K I decided it was worth $3K to insure. I'll let you know in two more years whether it was a good bet. Given that this is a BMW I'm still pretty confident I'll come out ahead. All of this was factored in when I made the decision to buy the car back in 2010.
I've been interested in BMWs, but you just convinced me never to buy one. $10k just for turbo problems? Forget that. (Not criticizing those who can)

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:01 pm

We have a Camry that's some 10 years old. Has had no problems, but since having kids and living in a place with stronger winters, I keep thinking a lot about safety more than anything else. I don't want to spend the money, but should I get rid of it to buy a safer vehicle with EST, and a larger one that can "compete" in an accident with all the huge trucks and SUVs in our area?

chaz

Post by chaz » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:03 pm

Corolla - I like it.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:08 pm

Like MoonOrb, I drive an '08 Mazda 3, bought in December of '07. The car has about 108,000 miles on it. It does need to have the A/C looked at but I am not a particularly lucky person, so the repair bill will likely be high. I drive it because other than the A/C problem, it has never failed to start and run. I have no plans to replace the car.

midareff

Post by midareff » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:27 pm

2013 Mercedes Benz C350 ordered new the way I wanted it. Retired and free of self deprivation.

pacodelostigres

Post by pacodelostigres » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:33 pm

I lease a 14 Charger RT AWD, because it has 395 lb ft of torque, because it snows a lot here, and because I would never consider owning this car long term. It's fun to do donuts in the parking lot at lunch. I haven't been in trouble for it, yet.

maroon

Post by maroon » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:14 pm

I'm amused that all us Subaru Forester drivers mention the HUGE sunroof/moonroof! :D

SailingAway

Post by SailingAway » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:15 pm

A 1988 Tayana.....see Avatar.....

Igetit

Post by Igetit » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:42 pm

2002 Honda CRV with 104k miles

It's my 5th Honda. (Not counting the one that I only had for a couple of months that was stolen)
I like it - its comfortable to drive & it's fairly spacious, there is room in the back for gardening purchases or yard sale items, it's ok on gas and it does alright in the snow.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:59 pm

I do lots of hunting and fishing. My 2015 4runner gets me there and back. It's built Toyota tough.
Mine is made in Japan. That was way cool for me.
Last edited by rustymutt on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

Steady59

Post by Steady59 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:30 pm

I have a very short commute and an old car habit.

1985 BMW 535i heavily modded (228K miles)
1970 2800 CS Coupe - midlife crisis car owned since 2000

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:38 pm

I drive a 2010 Mazda CX-9 because I have two kids and I feel safer in a bigger car. I absolutely love this Mazda. It feels and handles like a much smaller car and it definitely has some horsepower too when I need it. My wife has an Acura MDX, which is a similar size. When both cars are at home and I have my choice of what to drive, I will go out of my way (such as moving cars around) just so I can drive the Mazda. It might not have a fancy badge like the Acura but it is a true joy to drive.
Cosmo

triggerfish10

Post by triggerfish10 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:30 pm

We have 2 cars: a 2009 Toyota Rav4, and a 2011 Infiniti G37x. The SUV is great for hauling stuff around (groceries, dogs, our 1 year old daughter and her accoutrements), and the car is the perfect mix of sport and luxury for us (mostly me), and is a blast to drive. Both are great in the snow and have been very reliable thus far.
"A quiet and modest life brings more joy than a pursuit of success bound with constant unrest" - Albert Einstein

MnD

Post by MnD » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:57 am

2005 Tacoma 4X4 Doublecab long bed PU.
It's my third vehicle in life following up a 1977 Datsun kingcab PU and a 1989 Mazda extended cab PU.
It suits my needs, ultra-reliable, tops both the lake kayaks, good for camping, comfortable, holds the whole family and I haul stuff.
It's a comfortable commuter vehicle and long-haul trip vehicle - good view of the road, 4WD for bad weather.
It's awful for downtown city traffic and parking but I do virtually none of that. My commute is from one suburb to the other with plenty of free parking at work.

Wife drives a 2010 Altima hybrid, kids have near- identical 2002 Subaru Outback Limited wagons that differ just in color and transmission.
We have a lot of vehicle diversity so just switch around when needed.

airahcaz

Post by airahcaz » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:59 am

matjen wrote:
livesoft wrote:
matjen wrote:I sense someone is afraid to "admit" they own a Lexus. Amirite?
I own 2 Lexus SUVs. Many people on the forum already know that.
I gave my 1998 Lexus GS400 (with 210,000 CITY miles) to my 16 year old nephew this summer. Best car I ever owned. Would have seriously considered the new NX200 (in either sport or perhaps hybrid trim) but couldn't wait for a new car any longer and picked the BMW X1 instead.
I've had a 1992 Lexus LS400 in 1995, awesome problem free car, that I then gave to my sibling. I then bought a 1998 Lexus GS 400 in 2001, that I still drive, problem free (just have to put on seasonal snow tires).

Parents have had very problematic MB's, and I'd never go German.

We also own a problem free 2011 Toyota Sienna.

Our next vehicle (way down in the future) will be a newer Lexus again, or something like a Tesla)
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course. (Plagiarized, but worth stealing)

westie

Post by westie » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:04 am

3 cars we're retired

Wife - 2014 Subaru Forester Limited ..... her DD
Me - 2008 Nissan Frontier CC P/U truck ...my DD
Me - 2007 Honda S2000 bought as retirement gift new ...have 9700 miles on it.....my toy

mbk734

Post by mbk734 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:02 am

2013 Honda Accord LX
Honda has the best resale value according to studies, good gas mileage: 28/36, plenty of room, reliable, nice features, good value, looks nice, 5 star crash rating, reasonably priced. I got the lower end model so that I could buy a new car and yet still be affordable (although leather seats would be nice). I bought it new because used models had a good amount of mileage for not much savings over a new model.

I thought about an SUV (Pilot-more expensive, worse MPG) or vehicle with 4WD (Subaru Legacy), but figured that I can get by without it. I also though about a Toyota Camry or Hyundai Sonata, but I like the looks of the Honda and I have always liked Honda as a company.

Like my dad always says, a car is just something that gets you from point A to point B. :beer
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf

SHL

Post by SHL » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:27 pm

I drive a 2000 Honda Civic with 125K miles, because it's cheap to own. I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off. The money I would otherwise spend on a fancy vehicle is going in my retirement accounts instead. :moneybag
Stephen

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:41 pm

2006 RAV4 with 129,000 miles. We bought it new, wanting a small SUV that could take us on lousy forest service roads but still had decent mileage. It's been reliable and has met our needs though now, with 2 kids, we'd like something bigger for camping and potentially towing. That said I'll likely keep this indefinitely, since its reliability and mileage make it a good deal financially. I may buy a third vehicle for the camping/towing thing but wouldn't want to commute in it.

DTSC

Post by DTSC » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:56 pm

4 door 2012 Mazda 3

40 mpg on the highway, near 30 mpg in the city (depends on weather)
Fun to drive
Paid <$25K, new

ddj

Post by ddj » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:10 pm

We have 3 vehicles:

Me: 2004 Pontiac Vibe. 110k miles. Dad sold Pontiac/Olds for many years; $ made sense; reliable.
Wife: 2008 Jeep Libery. 80k miles. She has a Jeep thing.
Us: 1989 Ford f150 plow truck with Boss Sport Duty plow. Our driveway is 1/4 mile long and sometimes it snows.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:33 pm

2014 Nissan 370Z

Because after three decades of boring, sensible cars, I wanted something fun to drive again while I can still enjoy it. The 370Z seemed to be far and away the best "bang for the buck" for the characteristics I was seeking.