What do you drive, and why?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
camaro327

Re: What do you drive, and why?

Post by camaro327 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:17 am

2009 Civic Si - Nice power, handling, and decent fuel economy.

I would probably go the Accord/Camry route with a V6 if I was in the market today. Quick in a straight line and better fuel economy than my Civic.

m139115

Post by m139115 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:36 am

For fun I drive a 2012 Jeep 'Wrangler. Bigger tires (although I have only been off roading once) and fun to drive a 6 speed manual. Also I live in the south and nothing better than the top down on a sunny day.

The rest of the time I have a 2014 Mercedes e550 coupe. It's my 2 door sports car with more speed than I could ever use. It also keeps me from spending on a Porsche because it's a company car that I will someday get to keep. Downside is that it is an automatic transmission.

Ged

Post by Ged » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:55 am

I drive an Acura TL because I wanted something with a sporty feel and I couldn't get by the reliability issues of BMW.
goaties wrote:how do you carry stuff back from the hardware store? Even the Yaris can manage 2x4s, if they're not too long.
Big stuff (plywood sheets etc) I rent a truck at Home Depot for $20 or pay for delivery if it's really big. I can get 2x4's in my Acura TL because of the marvelous idea of a hatch in the rear seat.

jjdubbles

Post by jjdubbles » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:10 am

2001 Acura CL. Purchased it new 14 years ago, and it only has 88k miles on it. It runs well and gets me from point A to B safely, so I see no need to change.

It has low mileage since I travel a good bit for work and don't drive it all that much. I've been driving a lot more recently, but given that it's an Acura, I think it should make it to 150k with no problem (I maintain it well). Next car, albeit several years away, will likely be a 2-3 year old Honda Accord V6 Sedan or a 2-3 year old Acura TLX. I love the reliability and longevity of the Japanese brands.

tacanman

Post by tacanman » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:18 am

2003 honda civic 180k miles manual transmission. Why?......Dependable !

gator15

Post by gator15 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:19 am

I'm waiting for someone to say they owe a Ford Raptor. I find the Ford Raptor intriguing. Seems like the perfect vehicle for some of my outdoor activities. Problem is the truck is nearly $60k brand new (used vehicles aren't too much cheaper). Also, the truck gets terrible gas mileage, 11 mpg in the city and 14 mpg on the highway. It's a great looking truck though.

Utahdogowner

Post by Utahdogowner » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:27 am

A 2000 Toyota Avalon with 130 K, and a 2004 Toyota 4Runner with 115 K. We just had a talk the other night about how we love having paid off cars, and that we don't think we'll need new cars for at least five years. There the debate begins, because I want a minivan next,and my extremely frugal wife insists that she will go out and buy brand-new Range Rover the instant I come home with the mini van. We only have one child right now, We'll see if either of us change our tune when we have three or four.
Last edited by Utahdogowner on Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greenfire

Post by greenfire » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:29 am

I drive a 2012 volvo XC 70 because:

1. It is all wheel drive and I live in hilly snow country
2. It is very solid and safe
3. It handles nicely and is very comfortable
4. the back is big enough for my 2 English Mastiffs

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:34 am

2004 Honda Element with 150,000 miles on it, I want to get rid of it in 18 months or less, my wife's original car before we met that I drive now, but I only live 3 miles from work so its hard for me to justify a new car :?

MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:35 am

zbxb006 wrote:I drive a '59 Lotus 7, because, well, I can. And I am am guarenteed of never seeing another one sitting at a red light.
My fun car is a 2012 Caterham R300. There is one other Caterham in the community, but the only time I've seen him on the road is when we have purposefully met up. It's a great car with a few restrictions. You can only take one passenger and they better be thin and friendly. The weather has to be good. You can't carry much. How little can it carry? I've picked up my older son at school in it and he had to carry some of his books on his lap because they wouldn't all fit in the trunk.

My daily driver is a 2006 Acura RL that I bought in 2009. At the time I bought it, InformedForLife rated it as one of the safest cars on the road.

Our other car is a 2014 Honda Odyssey that replaced a 2003 model. It is hard to beat a minivan for practicality.

tuckeverlasting

Post by tuckeverlasting » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:01 am

2012 Honda Fit manual transmission with 13,000 miles. My first new car ever and I plan to keep it a long time. Great, economical fun car.
It's Good To Be A Boglehead

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:19 am

I spent several months last year doing research on what new car to buy, and I used this website to help me http://www.thecarconnection.com/.

I had a Toyota Tacoma light truck, manual which (believe it or not) got as much as 27 mpg on the highway and 24 in town. Unfortunately, the light truck market seems to be undergoing a lack of enthusiasm, and the newer Tacoma's are larger with less mpg.

I was tired of driving a 5-speed truck in traffic, despite all the use I got out of it, and I decided to go with an automatic sedan of some sort. I was looking for quiet comfort -- to live within a bubble while driving to allow me to ignore the 5-10 incidents of daily road rage I would have to overcome.

I weighed all the factors and settled on a 2014.5 Toyota Camry, 4 cylinder. The 0.5 in the model year was due to a correction made to account for the new off-center frontal impact test results that were lacking in all but the Honda Accord.

I test drove a Prius (which I approve of in spirit), but I felt it suffered from lack of umph. The Camry, even in 4 cylinder, was very powerful. Surprisingly I get better mileage than our other car, a 2013 Honda Fit.

I do regret not having the truck to haul things, but I am more than pleased with the Camry. I have never owned a car where I could drive over a set of railroad tracks and not even notice it. It has a backup camera, which I love, but in hindsight I would have appreciated all of the additional safety features you can get these days that monitor your proximity to other objects for you and alert you to trouble.

Riverstwo

Post by Riverstwo » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:25 am

I drive a 2002 Toyota Avalon because I picked it up used for 8 grand and it still drives like its brand new with 110,000 miles on it. Leather, heated seats, very roomy big back seats for passengers and nice trunk plus Toyota reliability and resale!

mindboggling

Post by mindboggling » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:27 am

In August 2014 I traded in an eleven year-old Ford Ranger pick up and bought a VW Jetta. Much better gas mileage, handles better in the snow, fun to drive w/stick shift. Also, no one makes light pick ups anymore so I would have had to move up to a bigger one at around $30K.

Steve
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson

health teacher

Post by health teacher » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:37 am

I drive a 2009 Pontiac G3 with 103,000 miles. It was my first, and quite possibly last, new car. Its a small 4 door and now that we have a 2 year old and baby #2 any day now, my wife hates it. It gets 30 mpg which is pretty bad for its size. At the time, it was a sporty, small, new car with 0% interest, so I felt it was a good buy. I have replaced the timing belt and water pump (maintenance) and had the transmission replaced under factory warranty. It needs a tune up and I am hoping to get 5 more years out of it.

My wife drives a 2002 Hyundai Sonata with 63,000 miles. She inherited this car when her grandma passed away 4 years ago. It was a slight upgrade over her 1999 Chevy Prizm which we still miss simply because it was a good first car. We replaced the timing belt and water pump and fixed an exhaust leak since then on the Hyundai. She hopes to get a few more years out of it.

As soon as we knock out the remaining $1,800 of my student loans we are going to start saving $250-$500 per month for an upgrade. We will probably upgrade to an SUV for the wife to drive to work (8 mile commute round trip) and to tote the family around. I don't know what I will drive next. I put 15-20k on my cars (at least I have in the past). A part of me wants to buy a $1,500 beater and try to get 2-3 years out of it, but another part of me wants to be a 1-2 year old car and ride it out for 10 years. Time will tell I suppose.

ychuck46

Post by ychuck46 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:44 am

I drive a 2012 Ford F150 Supercrew. Why? Because I like it.

The wife drives a 2007 Hummer H3. Why? Because she likes it.

ourtown

Post by ourtown » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:18 pm

2012 Audi A3 (diesel). Traded in my '04 Prius. My second job has me putting on more highway miles and the Audi gets equivalent to better highway mileage!

Serie1926

Post by Serie1926 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:19 pm

I drive an '05 Lexus LS430 with 158k miles and a '13 Lamborghini Gallardo with 5k miles.

Love the LS, it's our 3rd one. Dealer is awesome, car has been very dependable, and extremely comfortable to drive. The Gallardo is over the moon! Grin like a kid eating ice cream for the first time every time I drive it.

Wife drives an '06 Lexus IS350 with 92k miles. Great car and she enjoys driving something nice and sporty. She wants a convertible when she retires in a couple of years.

We've owned all since new.

davebarnes

2007 Audi A3

Post by davebarnes » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:30 pm

What
2007 Audi A3 (33K miles so far)

Why
1. Sold our 2000 VW Passat to our daughter in 2008 after she graduated from university.
2. German. Euro-style handling.
3. Small. We live in the city.
4. Cute. Murano Red.
5. Practical. 4 doors + hatchback.
6. Comfy. Leather, heated seats.
A nerd living in Denver

bluelight

Post by bluelight » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:37 pm

2002 Nissan Pathfinder. My hauler. It fits most everything I need it to and I love the height/visibility that an SUV gives. Because I don't drive much and have a short commute to work it only has 97K miles after 12 years. It is starting to show it's age and will most likely be replaced in a few years with another SUV.

2013 Audi A6. Purchased last week, replaced my husbands RAV4. We wanted a nice riding sedan for when we take trips to visit our kids and family. DH researched for awhile before we bought and so far we are both very happy with it.

2009 Porsche Cayman. Our fun car.

whyme

Post by whyme » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:07 pm

2005 Honda Accord. Decent gas mileage, easy to drive, comfortable and fairly spacious cabin, inconspicuous (I live in a city and for years was parking the car on the street) and amazingly trouble free. (It was also a good value when I bought it in '05, actually less than the Civic at the time.) The only issues I've ever had, over nearly ten years, were some glitches with the automatic door latches, which were easily repaired at little cost. Has about 100,000 miles on it and is sound enough that I would feel comfortable taking it on a cross-country drive. I would look first at the Accord (maybe the Hybrid) if I were shopping for a new car, but I don't anticipate wanting a new car until several more years have passed with this one.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:28 pm

I'm glad to see so many folks fessing up about their fun toys!

Kalo

Post by Kalo » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:35 pm

Bought a new 2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX about four months ago. Love it. Have never had a vehicle where I sat up high and it's a real pleasure to drive. No longer feel so intimidated when being tail-gated (drove a small sedan before). Hardly even notice if anyone is behind me. I choose my speed in the slow lane and everyone else just has to go around if they don't like it (I go the speed limit or up to 5 miles faster, and that makes me just about the slowest driver in the world I guess).

It has tinted windows in back and a sun roof and backup camera. Not much else fancy other than blue tooth and USB ports.

The one thing I don't like is that the shift knob (automatic) is just above the cup holders, and you have to be a little careful not to knock it when you are lifting your drink out. Not a huge deal.

I got a 36 month zero interest loan and have the money set aside to make the payments. Plan to drive this car for about 15 years.

Before I bought the CR-V I test drove the Honda Fit and as much as I liked it on paper, it felt like a toy to drive. Engine winding out all the time and you could really feel the road through the tires and up into the seat. Just knew I would not have been happy with it.

Kalo
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.

CoAndy

Post by CoAndy » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:55 pm

2012 Honda Accord with 37k miles.

Reasonable price, good fuel economy, and problem free.

Johno

Post by Johno » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:46 pm

stan1 wrote:
Gill wrote:
stan1 wrote:I negotiated a good deal on an extended warranty but so far have not needed it.
That's why most of us don't buy extended warranties. :happy
Gill
I wouldn't have done it for a Honda/Toyota, but when BMW turbo repairs can run up to $10K I decided it was worth $3K to insure. I'll let you know in two more years whether it was a good bet. Given that this is a BMW I'm still pretty confident I'll come out ahead.
Recently bought 2015 BMW 328i. I didn't get an extended warranty. I don't how I (not saying you can't) would value whether $3k would be more or less than the present value of future (post regular warranty) repairs. Despite the reputation among some of BMW's as unreliable recent model 328's (maybe not back to 2010) have better than average records per Consumer Reports. And $10k would just bum me out, not be a significant setback financially. That said, I know some people would say they'd never price the extended warranty to be a winning proposition for the buyer on an expected basis, but a lot of stuff about car pricing is weird so I'm not sure we can count on that. You could be right; as you say we'll see (and of course an individual outcome isn't going to prove anything in general anyway).

As for the car itself, we had a Lexus GX SUV for 10 yrs but one of our kids wanted to buy it so we decided to get a small sporty sedan for a change, and with less parental transport needs now that everyone's more or less grown up. We don't *have* to drive anywhere, and only typically put 6k mi/yr on the Lexus. And now we kind of share one of our other kids' cars as an everyday park-on-street car (the BMW is in a rented space in a parking building, urban area). So if on a BH frugality kick we could have just not replaced the Lexus at all. But the BMW is fun to drive and very nice looking. And to quote Peyton Manning to the tune of the Nationwide jingle 'nothing beats that new car smell'. I love it so far.

DoubleDraw

Post by DoubleDraw » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:49 pm

2012 Subaru Outback 30k miles - last payment is this month!! We bought new as we had to get out of the last car quickly and there were no good deals on a used outback at the time. They are in very high demand in our area. We absolutely love it!

•AWD for going skiing, which we do a lot (blizzak snow tires in the winter) - we can fit 4 + skis and gear with no ski rack
•decent mileage - avg 28mpg
•big, safe vehicle
•high resale value in our area
•plenty of room for gear when going camping, fishing or biking and has high ground clearance for getting back into the trailheads and camping spots we love
•comfortable (we got the leather and moonroof package) with a smooth ride

We are a 1 car family and soon both of us will be taking public transportation for our commutes so we won't put more than 5k miles a year on it. We plan to drive it for at least 7.5 more years or when we've had it for 10yrs total, probably longer.

gator15

Post by gator15 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:53 pm

Serie1926 wrote:I drive an '05 Lexus LS430 with 158k miles and a '13 Lamborghini Gallardo with 5k miles.

Love the LS, it's our 3rd one. Dealer is awesome, car has been very dependable, and extremely comfortable to drive. The Gallardo is over the moon! Grin like a kid eating ice cream for the first time every time I drive it.

Wife drives an '06 Lexus IS350 with 92k miles. Great car and she enjoys driving something nice and sporty. She wants a convertible when she retires in a couple of years.

We've owned all since new.
I'm pretty sure I would smile each morning if I walked out and found a Gallardo in my garage. That's awesome.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:46 pm

Johno wrote: Recently bought 2015 BMW 328i. I didn't get an extended warranty. I don't how I (not saying you can't) would value whether $3k would be more or less than the present value of future (post regular warranty) repairs. Despite the reputation among some of BMW's as unreliable recent model 328's (maybe not back to 2010) have better than average records per Consumer Reports. And $10k would just bum me out, not be a significant setback financially. That said, I know some people would say they'd never price the extended warranty to be a winning proposition for the buyer on an expected basis, but a lot of stuff about car pricing is weird so I'm not sure we can count on that. You could be right; as you say we'll see (and of course an individual outcome isn't going to prove anything in general anyway).
I got a new 328i as a loaner last year and enjoyed driving it. The previous generation 328i did have a pretty good reliability record with the inline 6 engine. If I had a 2010 328i I don't think I would have bought the extended warranty. The difference now is that the new 328i is turbocharged which has been a downfall for BMW reliability in the past as the cars get up over 40K miles. I decided to buy my extended warranty about a month before the regular warranty was up -- not upfront at the time of purchase. As with any insurance policy you hope you never need it but are prepared if you do; there's no way to predict the future other than to realize that there is potential for some very expensive repairs on these cars. As I said I got the list price of $4200 knocked down to $3000 for the extended warranty. I got almost a $10K discount off the car when I bought it back in 2010 and I planned from the beginning that I would likely buy the extended warranty. Another factor is that I did have a 2001 Mercedes Benz C Class coupe that I definitely wish I had the extended warranty on since I had over $5K of repairs in that car before Carmax took it off my hands without checking to see if the head gasket was leaking.

BahamaMan

Post by BahamaMan » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:13 pm

2014 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec....... Super reliable solid Car with all of the Luxury Appointments.

I used to Drive Lexus ES300 and GS350, but the Genesis is a Better Car. I also have owned the 2011 Genesis.

poker27

Post by poker27 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:59 pm

2007 Mazdaspeed 6- I got it new when I lived in the burbs, I was always a car guy and loved speed,but also wanted something slightly 'nicer' then a STI or Evo. Now it has 38k miles on it, 20k of which were driven in the first year, and rots in my garage. Yay for public transit and big city living :)

2011 Hyundai Sonata- SO's car, we bought it slightly used, and for the price at the time, we liked it more then everything else on the market. Its getting close to 80k miles, and has been reliable. Hope to keep it till 150k+

2009 Yamaha FZ6- got it 2 years ago, was always on my bucket list to get a motorcycle, and I'm not getting any younger. Its a sport bike so its fast, but not a super sport so semi comfortable.

crg11

Post by crg11 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:05 pm

2009 Hyundai Elantra SE - This is my daily commuter car. Low miles, paid off, barely needs any maintenance, and still has another 5 years on the power train warranty.

2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium - We wanted one car that would be an absolute tank in the winter with snow tires and this one certainly is. No concerns about getting where we need to go in an emergency during a blizzard.

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:10 pm

I drive a 2003 Avalon XLS with 110k miles-

-A very comfortable and a good looking car
- Low maintenance and very reliable
- Very roomy, fits 5 people comfortably and a large trunk
- Bought it in 2008, at 23k miles, paid cash for $13.5k
- Showing age now, changed the A/C compressor, shows engine light on...etc
- Wife is after me to replace the car..

-DW drives a 2010 Lexus Rx350 SUV with 28k miles
- She loves it, again a very comfortable vehicle, bought in April 2014 at 25k miles, paid $26.5 k cash

College going Son drives a 2009 Camry LE, with 75k miles, bought in 2011 at 39k miles for $13.5k cash
- It takes his abuse and keeps running smoothly so far

We have been lucky with TOYOTA cars and have driven almost all of their models.... Tercel, 2 Camrys, Solara, 2 Corollas, Sienna and Avalon
I use nothing but AMSOIL motor oil & filters, and all cars have served us well, except Solara, which had limited visibility, and caused accidents

Best Wishes to all for a happy new year

-
We do not stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing !!

spat

Post by spat » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:17 pm

2012 BMW 750ix, for my daily driver because it's comfortable for my crazy long commute.

2012 Infiniti QX56, for my wife because we need a car that the whole tribe can fit in.

2005 BMW 6-Series convertible, my guilty pleasure.

Not boglehead minded purchases, but all paid for, comfortable, fun, fit into our budget and don't stop us from saving a very large portion of our income.

Sure we could have found less expensive options, but trying to balance enjoying the ride and not ending up being the richest guy in the graveyard.

praxis

Post by praxis » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:45 pm

I replaced my '05 Explorer with a used '14 Tahoe this summer. We loved the Explorer. It only got about 21 mpg, but had many great features. It was 4WD and turned tighter than anything I've ever owned. The 3 rows folded flat and it was easy to park in town. I moved to the newer Tahoe because we put on 15K road miles/year and the 280K miles on the Ford made me nervous. I just parked the Tahoe an hour ago after 7 hours driving in sleet and rain and I think I'm gonna love how stable and solid it performs. This week we will be in deep snow in the steep mountains, and I am confident it will take care of us.

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:47 pm

2014 Subaru Outback

Wanted something that had more than 1500lb towing capacity, but didn't want to pay extra fuel for full size SUV. Handling in snow and icy conditions is a plus.

market timer

Post by market timer » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:04 pm

Our main family car is a Toyota Alphard. Good for hauling 7-8 people around for shopping.

Johno

Post by Johno » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:18 pm

stan1 wrote:
Johno wrote: Recently bought 2015 BMW 328i. I didn't get an extended warranty. I don't how I (not saying you can't) would value whether $3k would be more or less than the present value of future (post regular warranty) repairs. Despite the reputation among some of BMW's as unreliable recent model 328's (maybe not back to 2010) have better than average records per Consumer Reports.
I got a new 328i as a loaner last year and enjoyed driving it. The previous generation 328i did have a pretty good reliability record with the inline 6 engine. If I had a 2010 328i I don't think I would have bought the extended warranty. The difference now is that the new 328i is turbocharged which has been a downfall for BMW reliability in the past as the cars get up over 40K miles.
Might be true in theory (I used to deal with turbochargers almost the size of a BMW 3, the whole car I mean! in a previous life :D ) but actually the 6th generation 328i xdrive, turbocharged one we're talking about (aka the F30, since 2012), has had a good reliability record per Consumer Rep's data, and 'much above average' for major engine. So might be hard to predict. The previous generation was actually not quite as good overall (not particularly engine), again per their data. And while we could quibble with that, again where I'm stuck is what actual analytic method we'd use otherwise, what 'everyone knows' or what people say on car web forums? That seems to me the rub to pay out that kind of money. Besides which I'll drive the thing 60k miles in 10yrs if I drive it as much as my last car.

SunnySeattle

Post by SunnySeattle » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:53 am

2013 Tesla Model S because it is electric, seriously fast off the line, fueled by our home's solar panels, seats 7, made in 'merica, highest safety rating, and is a techie's dream car (it updates itself via WiFi and we have phone apps to control the car systems remotely). Downsides are that it was expensive and is new technology. Its tech is likely to be outdated by newer Model S features, just like phone and computer tech that is quickly outdated.

lululu

Post by lululu » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:30 am

tavore wrote:1998 Buick Century Ltd, with 123k miles. I bought it 4 years ago for 2200 with only about 107k miles. It's big, comfy, and handles well. Gas mileage isn't too much of an issue as my work commute used to be very short before, and non-existent now (working from home full time). It's been the perfect car for me as a relatively new driver in my 30s. I try to stay as car-free as possible, but it's good to have it when really needed.
1992 Buick LeSabre here. It was my Mom's car, and she maintained it well. so do I.

toblerone

Post by toblerone » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:43 am

2015 Mazda 3s Touring Hatch 2.5L MT, bought last November. So far, best car I've ever owned 8-)
It replaced a 2004 Mazda 6i Hatch 2.3L MT which was also bought new, second best car I've ever owned 8-)
Why? For a simple 4-seat car Mazda offers the best for peformance/reliablity/price combined, if performance matters the most.

JimmyD

Post by JimmyD » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:58 am

2010 Mercedes C300 - bought it certified pre-owned in 2011 with just over 12,000 miles on it, so it was virtually brand new. It was a former courtesy car and our local dealership sells them CHEAP. Couldn't pass up on the deal since my former Mazda 3 needed close to $1,000 in repairs and was getting up there in mileage.

The C300 has been an absolute dream thus far. Fast, sporty, comfortable. Coming up on a needed tire replacement, but being that I've got nearly 65,000 miles on the car now and they're original, I'm not complaining. Car hasn't needed anything else other than routine maintenance...and because I go back to the same dealership, they treat me like a rock star there with free coffee, ice cream, lunch, loaners, etc.

Needless to say, when this one kicks the bucket, I'll be purchasing another one from them.
Last edited by JimmyD on Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:15 am

Me: 2010 Ford Fusion. This replaced a Ford Expedition, which was my first and probably last foray into ostentatious keeping up with the Joneses vehicles. Expedition was used during period when we were doing more family driving and traveling with 2 children who are now grown and independent (ie no longer being driven to school daily etc). I traded it in during the cash for clunkers program so got a great deal and love the Fusion. Fun to drive, good gas mileage, easy to park. I also have to accommodate ergonomics for spouse who is 6'5" and it's comfortable for him to drive and sit in as well.

Spouse: 2007 Ford F150 pick up truck. We tow a boat and he does a lot of backcountry canoeing, as well as most of our yard work and household maintenance. Truck is something he feels is required to support these activities.

Neither vehicle is used for commuting as we live blocks from our employment and bicycle into work daily. Both are garage kept. We generally buy our cars new, pay cash and drive them for 10+ years and/or 100,000+ miles.

BackOfTheNet

Post by BackOfTheNet » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:04 am

2014 Fiest
Last edited by BackOfTheNet on Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

tuckeverlasting

Post by tuckeverlasting » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:40 am

Kalo wrote: I test drove the Honda Fit....you could really feel the road through the tires and up into the seat. Kalo
Believe it or not this is a "feature" I actually find desirable and wanted! I like to feel connected to the road. To each their own! The Fit is a small urban runabout great for tight spaces, been popular in Europe for years as the Jazz. Rock-solid reliable. Unfortunately (to my way of thinking) it has been "improved" and made bigger for 2015.
It's Good To Be A Boglehead

VGisforme

Post by VGisforme » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:56 am

I drive a 2006 Dodge Charger an R/T with the performance package an R/T with R&T for those familiar with the big Dodge. It is basically like the Daytona model without the loud colors and stickers. I'm 6 foot 7 and don't fit well into small cars plus I've got two car seats in back so can use the room there too.

I bought it used with 23k miles now I'm at about 84k. I've changed all 16 spark plugs myself twice, the only thing it chews up is front suspension bits like tie rod ends and tension struts otherwise solid. I've put on SRT spec shocks springs and struts bought used out of a 2010 Challenger SRT. Also use winter tires on my stock wheels and run summer rubber on SRT Challenger wheels in the warm weather.

I'm a car guy and it is a fun car to make minor mods to it, I've swapped the grille out for a black Daytona style one and removed the side moldings and many badges even replaced a couple with Mopar badges. I have a Diablo Sport tuner I use in summer mostly that really wakes the car up and complements the minor performance mods like intake and exhaust.

I'd love an A8 or 7 series but this is my affordable version.

My wife drives a Dodge Journey CUV and it has been reliable since new it is a 2009.

oragne lovre

Post by oragne lovre » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:03 pm

stan1 wrote:I'm glad to see so many folks fessing up about their fun toys!
I've always considered my car as a tool, not toy. But now I have a second thought: Why not a tool/toy combo? :)
The finest, albeit the most difficult, of all human achievements is being reasonable.

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:25 pm

'15 Toyota 4Runner Limited-----comfortable, reliable, safe and built like a tank. This is my fifth 4Runner----the resale (& trade-in) value of these vehicles is INCREDIBLE!
I know that you think you understand what you thought I said, but I don't think you realize that what I said is necessarily what I meant......

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:34 pm

07 Honda Accord which belonged to my late husband and has many nice creature comforts he liked (that I would never have bought myself): heated leather seats, GPS, moon roof (which I still haven't figured out how to operate and which intimidates me so I ignore it.)

But when I get in the car into *his* driver seat, and felt the seatbelt *he* wore snugly wrapped around me and sit in his nice cozy heated seat, it feels figuratively as if his arms are still wrapped around me. Car has 62K miles on it, and I drive far less than he did, and I hope to keep it *a long time*. My fantasy is that I will keep until self-driving cars are available!

bowtieman81

Post by bowtieman81 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:47 pm

2011 GMC Sierra half-ton truck for me. Why? I like trucks, especially since I am a bigger frame guy. We have put it to use several times hauling stuff. In all honesty though I am contemplating selling it this year and replacing it with a mid-size car. It is hard to justify the cost and I don't drive it much any more because I bicycle to work now. It is still worth almost what I bought it for so that encourages me more to sell it.

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid for the wife. Why? This was a bit of a surprise purchase for both of us. She had a sedan that the engine was going south on and she was really wanting a small SUV but I wanted another sedan. I liked the Fusion model but had zero interest in a hybrid. We drove a couple small SUVs and were not super impressed, then drove a regular Fusion and the hybrid version. Surprisingly my wife and I both liked the hybrid, so we bought one. This is my first venture into the world of hybrids and so far so good.

wxz76

Post by wxz76 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:47 pm

2004 Acura RSX 100k miles with manual transmission.