What did you enjoy spending money on this year?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
DaftInvestor

Re: What did you enjoy spending money on this year?

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:46 pm

- Various Christmas gifts for family and friends
- Travel / weekend-get-a-ways

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:29 pm

praxis wrote:
flyingaway wrote:
Need to work on my Spanish.
I'm using free duo lingo to get better at Italian.

We've tried other methods in other languages and like this one.

(sorry about OT)
Thank you! This will be on my New Year Resolution list.

ubermax

Post by ubermax » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:34 pm

Helped our son recoup some of his financial loss involving a second home that he rents out , helped our daughter and son-in-law with some money as a Christmas gift toward furnishings for their new home , & spending money on gifts for our 5 grandchildren .

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:26 pm

Rented a condo before buying......................glad we rented!

chaz

Post by chaz » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:01 pm

Cruises.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:12 pm

Bought a $12k Hotspring Spa.....just a small % of portfolio appreciation in 2014.

Thank you John Bogle and thank you USA.....we are powerful when we work together. No other country like it in the history of the world.

JimmyD

Post by JimmyD » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:21 pm

My wife and I had been in desperate need of a new laptop for a couple years now and finally pulled the trigger a few weeks ago on an Intel Core i7 (4th gen), 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD ($1,300) - the thing absolutely flys and we're thrilled at our ability to complete tasks so much faster now (every second counts with an 8-month old to take care of).

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:31 pm

Let's see

Copay for angioplasty because I would not have been happy paying the whole bill
New wrangler with insurance money from my last wrangler that was totaled. Ordered exactly what I wanted
A go kart for the kids. Its even more fun watching them bomb through the trails than it is to ride
Trip to florida and airboat tour to see alligators in the wild
Freshman tuition for my oldest son. Seeing a 3.75 gpa made me very proud
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

avenger

Post by avenger » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:41 pm

10 day trip to Puerto Vallarta at an estate with a good number of friends.

Pre-paid a 16 day vacation for March 2015 (7 days south Florida, 9 days Argentina).
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [3 fund portfolio: VTI, VXUS, SV fund (yield 3.01%)]

fkampere

Post by fkampere » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:00 pm

Glock 19
Larrivee Acoustic Guitar
Audioengine A5+ speakers

Girino

Post by Girino » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:44 pm

Thanks for the thread. My wife and I had a good time last night talking about this. We had different lists, of course, with some overlap. Here is mine.

Trip to Italy for research and vacation in April. I love Italy and got to practice my rudimentary Italian. Got to see and handle some 500 year old anatomical texts at the biomedical library in Florence. Hiked in the Cinque Terre and saw a bronze age obelisk along an ancient trail. Ate classic tortellini in brodo, and saw Vermeer's "The Girl with a Pearl Earring" while it was on tour in Bologna. The centro storico in Genova. Eating sautéed artichokes at a Jewish restaurant in Rome. Became an international criminal when I forgot to cancel my bus receipt in Florence and was arrested by a transit cop.

Dog obedience training for our new Golden Retriever puppy (we have a really good training center near us. I learned more than my dog).

A good used Baldor grinder for my woodworking shop.I smile whenever I start it up.

30% off on a Patagonia 3-in-jacket at REI just when I needed a new waterproof jacket.

Oh yeah, almost forgot: Bought a retirement home in Oregon, for which we immediately found renters to pay the second mortgage until we can move there next summer!

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:07 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:Sadly, the best I could come up with was iPhone 6 and iPad Air. This was my first full year contracting and my original contract only ran through July, add that to I was considering retiring on Dec. 1 (which I decided against) and I spent the year saving like a maniac and I think it has made me grumpy or maybe dopey.
Are you one of the seven dwarfs by any chance?

TXWill

Post by TXWill » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:22 pm

Fifteen glorious days exploring Alaska with friends, two weeks with family and friends on Marco Island, FL, and five days over Christmas with family in Kansas City.

I think I'm getting the hang of this "Retirement Thing"!

matti

Post by matti » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:10 pm

I took a work trip to Germany in Latvia this summer, and my wife was able to join me. So, we tacked on a few extra days and visited family in Switzerland (even hiking in the Alps)! I also went on a solo trip to Vegas in July (love me some blackjack). I'm heading back to Vegas in January as well....more blackjack!

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:50 pm

an_asker wrote:For me, it was travel. First time that I have gone on four major trips in one year. I don't do - and have never done - work-related travel, so traveling on vacation is big for me, both in terms of expenses and fun. While one of the trips was to visit friends and family, we did go to Niagara Falls, go on a cruise and visit Europe this year. That was definitely fun.
Finished the basement into a game room. It turned out awesome. We have an air hockey table and I finally got the billiards table I always wanted. Lots of family fun and worth the money spent. My seven year old is getting pretty competent at shooting pool. Nice flat screen on the wall, too.

If things go well in 2015, we'll put in a leather sectional and I'll get serious about finding the pinball machine I want.

Kiter

Post by Kiter » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:07 am

2014 Cabrinha Switchblade kites 7,9,and 12 meter

VesperLynd

Post by VesperLynd » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:26 am

- Some really excellent Pinot Noir and Rieslings.
- Locally grown farm food (better quality but more expensive than local stores)
- taking my daughter to nice places
- spa trip
- more stocks and bonds
- some great books

VesperLynd

Post by VesperLynd » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:30 am

praxis - can you shed some light on the names/brands/vintages of the affordable French reds you found at Trader Joes?

Thanks!

Cernel

Post by Cernel » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:42 am

Weddings!!!
All 3 of our children decided to get married within a 7 month period, 2 of them within 6 weeks, all around Christmas.
It was fun, but there goes the budget, because all 3 of them announced their plans during a 6-week period during this past summer, so really no time to plan financially.

SunnySeattle

Post by SunnySeattle » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:42 pm

Electronics, travel, river rafting, sailing, and snow skiing.

DH is a computer geek at work and home. He always has the latest phone, laptop, pad, etc. I'm the family Boglehead and after 22 years I have learned to push for saving in the areas we can, and electronics is definitely not one of them. For travel expenses... We took our first cruise (expensive at ~80% of our fun budget for the year) with the kids, to Alaska. Breathtaking sights, outdoor adventure, and highly recommend! The kids (6 and 8) said it was the highlight of their summer and asked when we can go on another cruise. I also tagged along on DH work trip (sans kids!) which only required us to pay my way. River rafting in WA and BC is cheap fun with our own boat and we camp. I also learned to sail big boats (30-40 ft), and we rent their boats for day or overnight trips rather than buying our own. For those who own their own boats there's an acronym for BOAT = bring on another thousand. Skiing is our most expensive outdoor hobby (lift tickets and lodging) though I think some of our fleece and ski pants are pushing 20 years old. We rent the kids' equipment and they mostly wear hand me downs from cousins, since they outgrow everything so fast.

So we spent money on fun in 2014, but also saved what we could along the way.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:49 pm

On December 30th I bit the bullet and bought a Mac Mini. So far I love the thing. So I bought 3 products in 2014 I have really enjoyed, all from Apple, an iPhone 6, an iPad Air and now a Mac Mini. I think I know who will be making my next laptop.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:57 pm

Adopted a dog from a local dog rescue group. As it had been a while since I had my own dog I didn't even mind the vet bills. Made some donations to other animal rescue groups that do good work.

nodenuff2

Post by nodenuff2 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:05 pm

1. Helped a struggling. Church 2. Helped a lady who lost her home. Gave money to our grown children Took my only grandson hunting watched him harvest his first deer and shoot his first quail.
2014 No. 42 2015 No.342 2016 No. 6 2017 238 what do I know? "Good bless America land that I love..."

Scotttheking

Post by Scotttheking » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:32 pm

$10k+ on travel :)

Partial list:
Scotland
Dayton, OH (Air Force Museum)
Toronto, UK
Hershey, PA
Gettysburg, PA
Arizona
NYC
I think Florida twice for death related events (ok, this wasn't as fun, but as a family member noted, it seems to be the way we all get together)

Spent in 2014, but going in 2015:
Hong Kong
London & Amsterdam

Probably elsewhere that I'm forgetting. Time to start a travel log.

Some high quality briskets, ribs, and a smoker this summer :)

spin_echo

Post by spin_echo » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:51 pm

travel to see family
kindle books
itunes movies

DoubleDraw

Post by DoubleDraw » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:04 pm

•We splurged a bit on our honeymoon to Kauai which was quite romantic and a memory we will both have forever
•3 days in the hospital for my wife when she was in a bad ski accident
•I consider our nicer-than-we-need house and car to be luxury expenditures and enjoy both of them immensely!
•New iPhone 6 for both of us this year - we love the bigger screen!
•Top quality coffee from a local micro roaster
•Organic meat and salads, higher quality bourbon (Blantons is delicious!)

Money well spent!

Rl2

Post by Rl2 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:48 pm

Trips to Nantucket and Southern California
Good wine
iPhone 6 for my wife
More Vanguard shares in my taxable account because I already maxed all tax-advantaged accounts :happy

gator15

Post by gator15 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:16 pm

-Trips to San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, and DC to see friends and attend sporting events
-Atv for camping trips
-dinners at various restaurants
-bottle of Johnny Walker Blue which I bought during the Super Bowl and recently finished the bottle
-gym membership as my trainer pushed me beyond my comfort level which led to great results.

Compound

Post by Compound » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:29 pm

1. Having the house exterior painted.
2. Paying down debt. (Hopefully will be able to check this one completely off the list in 2015 or, more likely, 2016)

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:38 pm

Compound wrote: 2. Paying down debt. (Hopefully will be able to check this one completely off the list in 2015 or, more likely, 2016)
I can't believe I forgot about that! I paid off my mortgage this year and am now debt free! :D
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:39 pm

I purchased my first Macintosh, a new 13" Retina Macbook Pro with an Intel i7, 8 GB of RAM and a 512 SSD. B & H had a one day sale on it offering $500 off. I was looking at the Macbook Air but the sale made the Macbook pro a better deal. Love it so far. Installed the free Apache OpenOffice which I also use on my Windows machines. Mac Yosemite comes with a free office suite, Pages, Numbers, etc. software but the learning curve made it simpler to use what I was familiar with. Spent some time setting up iTunes because most of the album art needed to be added manually. I observed NTFS external drives used on Windows computers mounted read only on Mac, reformatting them to exFAT fixes this and they work on both platforms. Switching from Windows to Mac was very easy. Additionally our household has an iPad, iPod, a Win 7 desktop and two Win 7 laptops and also a Barnes & Noble Nook and two Amazon paper white Kindles. The Apple computer was purely a discretionary purchase.
Last edited by SpringMan on Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:40 pm

Golf, gambling, and my first Ipad. I was almost kicking myself for not buying the Ipad years ago, it has proven to be very useful/handy.
Last edited by tim1999 on Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cowboyinasia

Post by cowboyinasia » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:42 pm

A really good desk, off of Craigslist for $40
Having my house's gutters cleaned
A rental unit
The family vacation to SoCal

Average Investor

Post by Average Investor » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:01 pm

I splurged on a rare 1959 Fender Precision Bass guitar.
Tomorrow never knows.

Billionaire

Post by Billionaire » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:52 pm

I spent a total of about $6000.00 on a new road bicycle ($3600.00) and related accessories/clothing. I rode about 1600 miles, all weekends. Work was too busy to get in any weekday rides.
Vacationed in Spain for two weeks.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:25 pm

1) Family trip to Houston, Texas for my niece's wedding

2) New $700 Bike

3) New Bike jacket

4) New $1,000 laptop

5) $35 every 2 weeks roasted coffee subscription from Sweet Maria

6) Groupon / Specialicious vouchers for eating out..

7) Teas from Upton Tea

8) Dues to Badminton Club..

9) Plenty of books from www.betterworldbooks.com -> about $4 each and free shipping

10) Donation to Capital Area Food Bank

Basically, do not need to think twice before I spend money on stuff that I love since I had saved enough via "Pay Myself First" method.

KlangFool

poker27

Post by poker27 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:53 pm

Vacations - A few extended weekend trips w/ friends, New Orleans, Charleston, Nashville, and going to Punta Cana in two weeks (was paid for last year).
Restaurants/bars- by far where we spend the bulk of our money, but with so many amazing places to try(and retry) we continue
Concerts
Engagement ring

praxis

Post by praxis » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:19 pm

VesperLynd wrote:praxis - can you shed some light on the names/brands/vintages of the affordable French reds you found at Trader Joes?

Thanks!
I'd be glad to share our choices, but I didn't keep track of all of them. If you shop there often, you know more than I do. We have no TJ nearby so usually pick up 2 cases each time we pass through a TJ town.

When I return home I will re-post the favorites that we still have in our rack. If you know TJ, you know that they are always featuring new wines from each area/country. Most of our experience is from Chile, Argentina, Spain, Italy, South Africa, Australia, Oregon and California. But I am so impressed with the French red wines that we are headed over there this spring to learn more.

I remember that the top of our list has been the Cote du Rhones from there. We have tried most of the ones that have been available on the shelves and have been pleased. Most of the bottles this summer averaged $12/bottle. Some more, some less. You may have other resources, but although we have fine, fair wine stores in our towns, Tj's has shown us many great values. At least for us this past year, it has been a joy to find these.

Cheers!

IPA Guy

Post by IPA Guy » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:44 pm

Wife and I enjoyed traveling to Europe for 16 days, a week in Hawaii and a few long weekends here and there. Traded our Cayenne S for an air cooled Porsche 911, a blast to drive a car that was on a poster on the walk when i was a kid. Probably spend too much on eating out, but we have so many restaurants within walking distance. Maxing out our a 403b, 457 and 2 401K's. Enjoying the delicious craft beer scene in Seattle. Hope 2015 turns out to be another great adventure as well. Happy New Year!

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:25 pm

Went on a nice trip with H and his HS classmates and his brother. We had a great time. Have also enjoyed helping maximally fund S's 401k and be able to help support D while her health improves and she continues to build her resume with experiences.

obgyn65

Post by obgyn65 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:54 am

Setting up free clinics in developing countries, buying meds for patients, and medical supplies.
"The two most important days in someone's life are the day that they are born and the day they discover why." -John Maxwell

camper

Post by camper » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:19 am

We bought a new Honda Civic. A first new car for this family. Done in part from lessons learned on this forum. Thanks Bogleheads!

midareff

Post by midareff » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:37 am

Operation Smile, Fred Hollows Foundation, Wounded Warrior Project and UNICEF. A few cable upgrades for audio gear, new cameras and lenses, a couple trips to the mountains. Lots of eating out. All in all (other than health issues... and a fortune for implants at the perio for both of us) it's been a very good year.