Do you usually order (not-free) beverage at restaurants?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Do you usually order beverage (excl free water) at restaurants?

Yes
47%
No
44%
depends (plz specify, if you can)
9%

Total votes: 279

Topic Author
acegolfer

Do you usually order (not-free) beverage at restaurants?

Post by acegolfer »

I was raised in a culture where customers rarely order beverage/desserts at restaurants.

Fast forward 20-30 years, even if I can afford them, I don't order beverage unless it's included. However, when I study other customers, more than half typically order drinks and I wonder whether I'm out of ordinary.

I understand this is not a yes or no question. But I wonder what you "usually" do at the restaurants. TIA.
Last edited by acegolfer on Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
tbradnc

Re: Do you usually order beverage at restaurants?

Post by tbradnc »

9 times out of 10 I get water. I used to get a slice of lemon until I read in a few places that the lemons were seldom washed so now I just get water straight up.

My wife gets 1/2 sweetened tea and 1/2 unsweetened.

I am a dessert person - if I have a nice meal I'll finish with a dessert for sure.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

It generally depends for me.

With family, usually I get water, but some restaurants have specialty iced teas that I like and others have 99 cent margarita nights. If it is a business meal and the client is drinking, then I will order a drink for myself to make them more comfortable. If it is with friends and they want to share a bottle of wine, then I am all in.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

My wife usually orders a beer. I order unsweetened iced tea or sometimes water. If the water tastes of chlorine, I'll get bottled water. The kids usually prefer water, but my son will sometimes order a lemonade. The kids never drink soda; they never developed a taste for it, which is just fine by me.

I never order dessert, my wife seldom does, and the kids sometimes do.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

If it is breakfast, I'll have coffee. If it is dinner, I'll have wine or water. The rest of the time it is water.

I do order desert, probably about 1/3rd of time time.
ieee488

Post by ieee488 »

in winter = hot water with slice of lemon on the side.
in summer = unsweetened ice tea with slice of lemon on the side
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Yes unless I am on a diet then water no lemon.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

I always get tap water (free) with my meal. For breakfast, I'll also order either coffee or orange juice. For dinner, if the restaurant has decent wine for around $7 per glass or less, I will often have one or two. I hate when restaurants sell wine that goes for $9 per bottle for $10 per glass. I think restaurants often go for cheap brands that most people have never heard of, as people might hesitate to pay $8+ per glass if the menu said a common cheap wine name like "Gallo" or "Beringer." Alcohol prices in restaurants annoy me in general, so most of my drinking is done at home, which is safer anyway.

If it is a work-related dinner and the company is paying, then I will usually order a bottle of wine for the table, and/or hard liquor drinks for myself. Even then, I will usually choose a bottle of wine on the lower 1/3 cost spectrum of the wine list.

As for dessert, I have not ordered dessert in a restaurant in probably 10 years. I am usually too full at that point, and the desserts are way too rich. The typical 1,500 calorie chocolate cakes, etc. Occasionally I'll have a few spoonfuls of gelato when I get home after the meal, though.
market timer

Post by market timer »

Yes, usually two alcoholic beverages with dinner. Food tastes better with drinks.
kramer

Post by kramer »

It certainly depends for me and my significant other. I will sometimes order a Coke Zero or a beer, but usually stick with water (and sometimes black coffee).

At home I drink almost exclusively water and brewed coffee (black). I tried for a long time to develop a taste for wine but I just don't like it very much and stopped.

One problem I find is that there are few drinks that are not bad for you besides unsweetened coffee/tea and water. I try to focus on getting my bad stuff in the form of delicious food 8-)
John3754

Post by John3754 »

Usually yes, depending on the occasion and my mood it'll typically either be hot tea, unsweetened iced tea, beer, sake, or wine.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

Almost always water - good for you, refreshing, and free.
mtheulen

Post by mtheulen »

Coffee at breakfast.Anything else water
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

Ahh, you hit upon one of my vices.....I will always order a large glass of ice-cold cola, even if they charge me $2.50 for multiple refills.....then I will drink at least 2-3 of them.
Illegitimi non carborundum.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

If I do order a beverage, it will be beer/wine at dinner. I hardly ever order a soft drink or anything like that. If I go out for breakfast I'll usually order coffee/tea.

To answer your question, probably half the time. Almost never order dessert unless it's a special occasion.
Last edited by KyleAAA on Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

almost always, such as:
coffee & juice for breakfast.
iced cola, tea or lemonade for lunch
cocktail plus iced tea and/or coffee for dinner
(I almost always ask for water also)
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

I always have a beverage with every meal every time, be it coffee, water or alcohol. I honestly have never in my life seen someone eat a meal without a beverage. I see at this juncture 16 people have responded no and wonder why is this so. Just out of curiosity.

Small, edit...I almost never order desserts for myself. The kids do about half the time.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Normally, water unless they have something special.

For example, special coffee and / or tea that I have nor try before. Mango lassi, freshly squeezed lemonade and so on... So, this rule out any normal stuff like coke, pepsi and so on...

Dessert -> the same... It has to be something special..

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Usually just water, but occasionally unsweetened ice tea. Less often, I may have coffee.
travellight

Post by travellight »

Coffee with breakfast, water, occasional glass of wine with dinner. If there are interesting drinks like mango lassi, I will order that. I never order sodas. I will definitely go for dessert if it looks interesting.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Usually just water, to save money, because I feel that beverages are substantially overpriced, and that it is not a case where the restaurant is going to bring me anything I can't get just as good at home.

If it is a situation where I am ordering something small, or my wife and I are splitting an entree, and I feel as if I would be taking unfair advantage of the restaurant by not ordering a drink, I'll order one... or if it's a social situation where everyone is having drinks I'll have one... and (sigh... I am not really a nice person) if the bill is going to be split equally in a large group, then I order a drink because I think everyone else is going to order one because they all think everyone else is going to order one.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

If it's breakfast, I usually order coffee. Otherwise, just water. I seldom order dessert because I'm usually full after the meal and have no desire to add dessert on top of it.
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

I don't eat out much and don't drink much pop, but at restaurants I usually have pop, even though I cringe at paying $2+ for something that costs a few cents.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

leonidas wrote:I always have a beverage with every meal every time, be it coffee, water or alcohol. I honestly have never in my life seen someone eat a meal without a beverage. I see at this juncture 16 people have responded no and wonder why is this so. Just out of curiosity.

Small, edit...I almost never order desserts for myself. The kids do about half the time.
It is a matter of semantics. Most people consider a beverage something other than water. The probably unwritten Boglehead context of this poll has to do with the fact that water (tap) is free and beverages have a significant mark up in restaurants
rec7

Post by rec7 »

Many times I will bring a drink into the restaurants. I like it better and it is much cheaper. Most restaurants don't care if you do.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

I order only water, because I like it, and because I don't like to pay $2-$3 for tea or iced tea. In some cities in southern California, you only get water if you order it, under city mandate. (Though they aren't charging for it.........yet)
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Little bit of interesting trivia. In California, one of the water saving measures implemented at the end of summer is that you must request a glass of water. Restaurants are no longer allowed to just bring you a glass of water when you sit. Side affect of this that I have noticed is that not as easy to get a glass of water refilled as it is to get a glass of iced tea refilled. They still have pitchers full of iced tea sitting around, but they have to go to the back for water like they would for sodas. So unless I am restricting caffeine for some reason, I usually go with a glass of unsweetened iced tea.
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

Beer or water.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

I usually drink water unless there is a particularly interesting drink specific to that cuisine.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

coffe if breakfast, otherwise tap water. i don't drink sodas at home with meals; sure not gonna pay for one at a restaurant.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Depends. Probably more often than not. If I want water (went out to dinner tonight and I just had tap water) I just get tap water.

Sometime with dinner I will order beer or wine. Sometimes with lunch I will order iced tea. For breakfast I will order coffee.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
billern

Post by billern »

Yes, I almost always order a beer with dinner, if something good is on tap. No soda or drinks with lunch.
arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg »

I used to mainly order water... as the investment and cash flow has improved and the wife and I have started taking a monthly excursion to a fine dining establishment... I'll usually order a glass or two of wine, which is particularly overpriced! Otherwise if at a standard place (i.e. applebys or taking the kids) I'll drink water or a coke (we rarely keep soft drinks in the house, so I'm normally a coffee guy in the morning, water otherwise, milk with supper type of guy.)
Indexed Fully!
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

One reason wine and beer are priced at a markup is that you're renting a table. All things being equal, you probably take longer, maybe even a lot longer, to eat your meal if you order an alcoholic beverage. Same thing with dessert. You're not paying for only the food.

I'm surprised the poll is almost 50/50. I would've thought that ordering something would crush the competition.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

We rarely order any drinks for us, but sometimes order soft drinks for kids.
investor1

Post by investor1 »

Considering I am typically there for happy hour or dinner if I'm actually staying there to eat, yes, I usually order a beer. Any other meal, it is almost always water.
Herekittykitty

Post by Herekittykitty »

Usually not other than plain ole water. Because the enjoyment (benefit) I gain from whatever beverages are available for purchase in restaurants is generally low compared to the price of said beverages. On the other hand, often the enjoyment I gain from the restaurant meal (with plain ole water to drink) is significant compared to the price of the meal.

So looking at it from an economic perspective...... generally no to the beverage other than plain ole water and yes to the meal.

Well - unless there is a situation such as :sharebeer going on, in which case one does want to join in and have a :beer
I don't know anything.
choices

Post by choices »

Typically only water., no lemon. I drink coffee with Breakfast or dinner dessert.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I get red wine when it's appropriate.
I have to ask for water without ice to override the default. I don't like lemon in my water.
I never order iced tea. Real tea is hot.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Usually coffee plus a glass of ice water. The water gives me something to drink while I'm waiting for a refill on my coffee cup.

Coke or Pepsi if I'm having coney dogs.

Occasionally just water.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
hdatontodo

Post by hdatontodo »

I have only water about 3/4 of the time, and soft drinks at other times.

I haven't had alcohol for years, partially because my spouse often has 2 or more and having a $30 dinner become a $50 dinner because of drinks is a waste of money.
crg11

Post by crg11 »

It's usually either water or a beer/wine (if it's a nice dinner or if we are out with friends).
Robert44

Post by Robert44 »

Coffee at breakfast:
Water at Lunch:
Wine and maybe a martini at dinner:

We have many friends that are too frugal to buy alcohol. But we like it, so we buy it. Life is too short.
poker27

Post by poker27 »

leonidas wrote:I always have a beverage with every meal every time, be it coffee, water or alcohol. I honestly have never in my life seen someone eat a meal without a beverage. I see at this juncture 16 people have responded no and wonder why is this so. Just out of curiosity.

99% of the time I will have coffee with breakfast, and beer or liquor with dinner. However for lunches, and at home I will not drink any type of beverage. My SO thinks I'm crazy as well, as she will normally have two drinks with meals (hot and cold or water and soda). I dont need to have a drink to eat food, it adds to my enjoyment. And I enjoy coffee and alcohol.
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

I usually order soda if I eat pizza otherwise just water.
No desserts at restaurants.
Allocation : 80/20 (90% TSM, 10% on ARKK,XBI,XLK/individual stocks and 20% TBM) | | Need to learn fishing sooner
Gambler

Post by Gambler »

acegolfer wrote:I was raised in a culture where customers rarely order beverage/desserts at restaurants.

Fast forward 20-30 years, even if I can afford them, I don't order beverage unless it's included. However, when I study other customers, more than half typically order drinks and I wonder whether I'm out of ordinary.

I understand this is not a yes or no question. But I wonder what you "usually" do at the restaurants. TIA.
when they charge you $3 for a glass of soda, i'll just stick to water.
let the other suckers pay that to keep the main entrée prices low.

also skipping the appetizer and dessert.
"Always be thankful for what you have no matter how much or how little" -EternalOptimist
Toons

Post by Toons »

Water
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

Most of what I eat at restaurants I order a soft drink but it depends on what I am ordering as to what soft drink I order. It might be milk, chocolate milk, chocolate shake, or, most often, soda. The rare desserts and breakfasts I order milk. Whether or not I order a soft drink, I always ask for water, too.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

Seltzer water / club soda with lemon and lime wedge. I gave up soda in my mind 20s. Don't miss it. I tried a Coke a year ago and couldn't drink it, too sweet. But seltzer water scratches the carbonation itch.

I only order beer if it's something I want to try. Most restaurants have lousy beer selections (I'm a beer snob) so it usually doesn't happen.
sambb

Post by sambb »

yes, i order all sorts of beverages. I can afford the 1-2$, and i enjoy the beverages.