Social Security Number on Dental Policy – Legal?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Higman

Social Security Number on Dental Policy – Legal?

Post by Higman » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:31 pm

I just signed up with Delta Dental for 2015 dental coverage. I just received my dental card and found out that my subscriber id number is my social security number. So now my dentist and staff will have my social security number on file and use it to submit claims. My previous policy was with MetLife and did not use SSN. I called Delta Dental support line and asked if they could give me any other number – they answered no. Is this legal? Have any of you challenged this misuse of SSN with Delta Dental or any other insurance company?

HueyLD

Re: Social Security Number on Dental Policy – Legal?

Post by HueyLD » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:47 pm

Last edited by HueyLD on Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:50 pm

It may depend on state law. This is an older link:
https://www.law.uh.edu/healthlaw/perspe ... hould.html

A google search show lots of relevant things to read about this.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

leonard

Post by leonard » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:33 pm

Higman wrote:I just signed up with Delta Dental for 2015 dental coverage. I just received my dental card and found out that my subscriber id number is my social security number. So now my dentist and staff will have my social security number on file and use it to submit claims. My previous policy was with MetLife and did not use SSN. I called Delta Dental support line and asked if they could give me any other number – they answered no. Is this legal? Have any of you challenged this misuse of SSN with Delta Dental or any other insurance company?

Don't do business with them?
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:41 pm

I know that the common wisdom is to safeguard your SSN and not to use it for anything you can avoid.

However, I'm curious about the actual risk involved. I accept the premise, and generally refuse to provide it voluntarily, along with many personal items on so many forms.

Medicare certainly uses your SSN as an ID number. I routinely have to provide my SSN along with secondary insurance number, plus photo ID (drivers license) for almost any doctors visit, test etc.

I think I had to provide it to Fidelity to get their AMEX card.

I can't comment on the OP's question as to legality or not, but is there really a risk and is it worth the effort?

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:27 pm

Not sue about Delta Dental ( my wife's ID number with them is NOT her SSN.)

But when Blue Cross issued us cards some years ago and they used the SSN for the ID# I called them and they reissued the cards with a different number. You might try calling Delta, maybe give them a song and dance about ID theft...
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:40 pm

I got my 2015 Delta card this week and as always, the customer ID number is NOT the SSN. The SSN is nowhere to be seen, though probably it is on record with Delta. So if Delta gets hacked my SSN number is compromised even though it is not on the card. Maybe call again and see if customer ID=SSN is a requirement for your plan issuer (employer?).

All SSNs have probably been hacked many times at this point. I'm not sure if there is a new risk out there that you are taking by using SSN for anything.
10% cash 45% stock 45% bond. Retired, w/d rate 1.5%

Higman

Post by Higman » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:10 pm

Thanks to all for your replies. I suppose every iteration of Delta Dental policies is different. My subscriber number is my SSN, yet it also has a client number on the card. I did check the link provided by livesoft and branched off from there. Most of the privacy laws regarding SSN deal with what a company must do to protect the SSN, but is silent on using it in the first place. I will, as HueyLD suggested, go back to my employer retiree administrator to see what can be done. I did just draft a letter to the Chief Privacy Officer of the Renaissance Life & Health Insurance Co. (parent of Delta Dental). We’ll see what his reply is. Thanks again to all responders.

icefr

Post by icefr » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:10 pm

I'm also with Delta Dental and I was originally told my subscriber ID was my SSN. I was, however, able to call in to customer support and get a randomly generated subscriber ID, which I was much more comfortable giving out to my dentist.