Leaf blower (& Gutter cleaner) recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
whadyaknow

Leaf blower (& Gutter cleaner) recommendations

Post by whadyaknow »

I'm in the market for a leaf blower, which hopefully doubles as a gutter cleaner with some extensions/attachments. Any recommendations?
80/20 Stock/Bond
tennisplyr

Re: Leaf blower (& Gutter cleaner) recommendations

Post by tennisplyr »

I bought an electric Toro leaf blower a few years back at Home Depot, it cost around $40 or $50 and I love it. Very powerful, try to stay away from those with a batteries because they are too weak. I didn't want to deal with gas. You might need to buy a long extension cord but they are cheap.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

tennisplyr wrote:I bought an electric Toro leaf blower a few years back at Home Depot, it cost around $40 or $50 and I love it. Very powerful, try to stay away from those with a batteries because they are too weak. I didn't want to deal with gas. You might need to buy a long extension cord but they are cheap.
+1 Toro corded electric.

I walk my roof to clean gutters as pine needles sometimes need to be dug out by hand from under the gutter hangers. Could not see to do this from the ground. Be careful, be sure of your footing, and take your time if you go this route.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

In respect to cleaning gutters, I no longer walk the roof. For the second floor gutter I had Gutter Helmet installed which keeps pine needles and maple leaves out. For the lower gutters I installed those plastic perforated snap-in gutter covers from Home Depot myself. Do not use screens in the inlets to downspouts under the gutter covers because any debris will clog-up there. Once a year I climb on a ladder to check, if inlets to downspouts are clean. Never lean a ladder against a gutter or you deform the gutter/screen setup.
chrysogonus

Post by chrysogonus »

I have a Stihl gas powered leaf blower that I'm very happy with. Electric wouldn't work for me since I don't want to be tied to an outlet, and some areas I use it aren't near an outlet.

It looks like they have a gutter cleaning attachment, although I don't have it. It takes me about 30 minutes once a year to clean the gutters, so it's not a huge chore.
Walleyewhacker

Post by Walleyewhacker »

I have a Stihl gas powered leaf blower that I'm very happy with. Electric wouldn't work for me since I don't want to be tied to an outlet, and some areas I use it aren't near an outlet.

+1

I live in a ranch style house, i get up on the roof and use my gas powered Stihl leaf blower. Hand held not the "jet pack" type. My last leaf blower was a Stihl and it lasted 11 yrs, not bad for a leaf blower….
jonbois

Post by jonbois »

I have a Stihl and an Echo both are very good and dependable
Toons

Post by Toons »

I've used this Toro on the ground and on the roof to clean gutters,,,highly recommend,powerful machine,read the reviews :happy

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PO ... UTF8&psc=1
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
tacster

Post by tacster »

Another vote for gas powered Stihl. I use mine a lot and it's been completely reliable and very powerful. I've yet to find any type of gutter guard that doesn't clog up, so I've resigned myself to walking the roof several times per year to blast out the leaves and debris.
INSERT PITHY QUOTE HERE
scubadiver

Post by scubadiver »

I own this:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_192729-86886-15 ... 006deeb9f2

Great leaf blower and good brand in general (I also own a husqvarna weed wacker). I use it to blow leaves and to clean gutters as well. Have owned it for four years and have not regretted the purchase for even a moment.

Scubadiver
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

Stihl leaf blower, they are the best. Get a good gutter cover....Gutter Helmet is very expensive so I have something similar by another name. Stay off your roof, it is not worth it to take the chance of a fall. Another alternative is to hire someone else to do the gutters. I use my Stihl almost daily in the summer months....even use it to pre-dry the vehicles after washing....works great. Merry Christmas!!
6miths

Post by 6miths »

I use the Stihl. Also great for clearing light snow in the winter - quick and right down to the pavement. Saw them doing it during a snowstorm at a Patriots game to keep the lines clear. Works like a charm.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
MnD

Post by MnD »

Stihl gas.
12 years old and still runs like new.
Use it all the time including walking the roof on a 2500SF ranch (with tons of large trees) to clean hundreds of feet of gutters in less than 20 minutes.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
4strings

Post by 4strings »

I would highly recommend this Milwaukee Blower. Great battery life, super light and blows up to 160mph.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M1 ... /204834633
SamB

Post by SamB »

I have used a backpack leaf blower for the last 25 years. I also have leaf/vac mulcher so everything goes back into the plant beds adjoining the yard. The biggest consideration is power. If either tool is under powered you will end up just getting rid of it. For this reason everything I own is gas powered, and bigger is better, especially with the leaf blower. I would never consider buying an electric powered yard tool. Basically, look at what the professional yard crews use and go buy it.

I sure don't recommend cleaning gutters with a leaf blower. I have never seen a professional gutter cleaner do it that way, and that ought to tell you something.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

I purchased the Stihl BG55($149) this fall along with the gutter cleaning attachment kit($39). It ended up being perfect for my needs. I bought it for blowing off my driveway, walks, decks, garage, occasional light snow, and lawn tractor (after mowing). I did not use it to blow many leaves as I generally just mulch those in throughout the fall. Although, when I did use it to blow leaves around the Stihl performed this task with ease.

I read some reviews noting it was difficult to start however have found that false and attribute that to user error (not reading manual). I think it starts rather easily if you follow the instructions. Also, some complaints were lodged regarding rotting fuel lines but once again if you store it without fuel or use an ethanol free fuel for the last run of the season then you won't have this issue either.

As far as the gutter cleaning kit I thought it was awesome. You do need to screw the pieces together with the provided hardware so it doesn't blow apart. I say this because once again, some reviewers complained it blew apart easily which would be true if you didn't follow the instructions. I have a Cape Cod home so the gutters are easily reached with this and I was able to blow out all the leaves. It is somewhat difficult to control when you throttle the blower hard with this attached but it is doable.

Also, when purchasing I was offered to double the warranty from 2 to 4 years by purchasing Stihl 2 cycle engine oil with the blower ($6 I think). So I did that and received confirmation later that I in fact did have a 4 year warranty now.

Buy through an actual Stihl dealer. They should unbox it, fuel it, and start it for you as well as register it for your warranty. Any issues, that's where you go back to.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/blower ... wers/bg55/ (leaf blower)

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/blower ... gutterkit/ (gutter kit)
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
surfer1

Post by surfer1 »

I was just researching this today. I've walked the roof and pulled out leaves from the gutters by hand, but it's scary if your roof is 2-stories. I also saw the electric Toro blower (225mph) combined with a build-it-yourself extension with pvc pipe, duct tape, and a 90' elbow to reach up to the highest gutters and blow them clean. Works best on dry leaves. See http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-to/ ... tters.aspx

Seems like a good solution to avoid getting on the roof.

I've also researched gutter guards. The cheap metal grated ones had the highest reviews, but they still tend to clog over time, eventually needing cleaning too. The hard ones (gutter helmet, etc) tend to dump water during heavy rain storms right out of the gutters.
john94549

Post by john94549 »

Depends on your gutters, their shape, the weather, and whether you get a collection of water/water-soaked leaves in the gutters.

Just had our roof re-done and the gutters along with them. The gutters have drainage from the hydrostatic head created by gravity. Stated another way, you're always going to get wet leaves and pine needles and whatever in your gutters.

You need a bull-dozer of a leaf blower to clean them out, as they are all soaked. Gas-powered, preferably operated by your gardener.
Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams »

+1 on the Toro corded, a very good unit for the price ( under $60) ). Might want to check this out for gutter covers, it's cheap, easy to install and keeps most of the junk out:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Amerimax-Hom ... 5yc1vZar5e