LED Flood Light Question (CREE/FEIT/Etc)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
davebo

LED Flood Light Question (CREE/FEIT/Etc)

Post by davebo » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:31 am

So I have about 35 recessed lights in my house that currently use a 65 watt flood lights. I've heard about LEDs for quite awhile and decided to test a few of them out since my electric bills have always seemed very high (due to having little kids leaving lights on).

So far I've only tested out only FEIT bulbs (1 set from Costco, 1 from Ace hardware). They look pretty good compared to normal lights, but they are a smidge brighter it seems. When I dim the lights all the way down, the lights are not near darkness like regular bulbs are. That doesn't concern me as much as the fact that they are a bit brighter overall. I’m probably staring at them a bit too much and maybe a random visitor wouldn’t notice it, but I think someone would definitely be able to point out the LED light if you asked them. Originally, I thought the brightness was due to the fact that I had purchased the Costco lights which were 750 Lumens. I then went to Ace Hardware and purchased the FEIT 65W 650 Lumens (thinking it wouldn’t be as bright) and they actually look MORE bright than the Costco ones.

I now think I’m going to test out the CREE bulbs from Home Depot since they get good reviews. I really wanted to do the Costco ones since they are $10/bulb vs. $17.50 bulb for the CREE ones at Home Depot. A few questions.

1) Have you noticed that LED bulbs don’t DIM all the way down like normal bulbs?
2) Any opinion on brands? Ones that closely replicate the warmness of regular bulbs?

wageoghe

Re: LED Flood Light Question (CREE/FEIT/Etc)

Post by wageoghe » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:41 am

This doesn't answer your question, but I recently installed several of these (from Costco) in some old recessed light fixtures in our kitchen. They were easy to install. They also made for a much cleaner look vs simply replacing the existing incandescent bulbs. They are supposed to be dimmable, but we don't have a dimmer so I can't comment on that.

http://amzn.com/B00GRH9ZOC

nordlead

Post by nordlead » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:45 am

what you may be perceiving as "brightness" may be color temperature. A cooler (higher color temperature) light may appear brighter than a warmer (lower color temperature) light, or it could be very inefficient incandescent bulbs.

As for lights that provide a good warm incandescent like color, GE and Cree both have LEDs available in the 2700k range with a very high CRI (color rendering index). A CRI over 90 is considered very good, but the higher the better (depending on the application and if you care). The GE's have been better (higher CRI) in the past at the cost of efficiency (we're talking 0.5-1W here) and price, but I don't know if that is still the case.

As for dimming, I can't say for sure. It could have been the bulb, it could have been the dimmer switch. If you want to read more, go here - http://ecmweb.com/lighting-amp-control/ ... ng-dilemma

fund

Post by fund » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:01 pm

+1 to what nordlead said.

We recently replaced all our incandescent bulbs with LEDs. Incandescents normally have a color temperature of 2700K, so an LED with that same color temperature should look pretty similar. Keep in mind that 2700K is pretty yellowish; the higher (i.e., cooler) the color temperature, the more blueish the light appears. Many LEDs are available in a color temperature of 5000K (and I've even seen 6500K), but, to my eyes at least, the resulting light is way too stark and industrial. I'm not a huge fan of 2700K (too yellowish to my eyes), so we installed 3000K LEDs made by Satco. They're available on Amazon, though we got them at our local hardware store.

Keep in mind, as well, that dimmers should be CFL/LED compatible. We changed our dimmers so they'd work with the LEDs. IIRC, the dimmers are made by Lutron. Don't forget to turn off the relevant circuit breakers before you change the dimmers!

Hope this helps.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:16 pm

Dimming of LED bulbs is highly dependent on the particular bulb and the dimmer used, even within the same brand of bulbs or dimmer. You have to make sure that the LED bulbs you buy work with the dimmer you have, or else change the dimmer to match the bulbs, which may be practical if you have one dimmer for 35 bulbs.

Wattage roughly corresponds with lumens, but varies between brands and even between particular LEDs within the same brand. For instance, Cree makes series of LEDs with different characteristics in the series. Part of that has to do with improved technology over time.

Most LED bulbs are available in a choice of warm (appears yellow like incandescents) or cool (appears white or even blue) and some are now available also in a more intermediate, neutral color temperature. It is a separate measure from brightness.

Here is an example of a color reference chart:

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz32 ... -color.jpg

Here is the Feit dimmer compatibility page:

http://www.feit.com/Dimmer_Compatibility

Definitely confirm that you like the quality and quantity of light a bulb produces in your home before replacing all of them.

dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:53 pm

davebo wrote: 1) Have you noticed that LED bulbs don’t DIM all the way down like normal bulbs?
Yes, mine don't anyway, and I have tried more than few of them.

davebo wrote: 2) Any opinion on brands? Ones that closely replicate the warmness of regular bulbs?
The issue I have with the current brands is none of them become warmer as you dim them, manufactures are coming out with lamps that will but I have not seen them in the wild yet. Some call it sunset dimming, warm dimming etc.
https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/newsroom ... tores.aspx

I have a pile of fixtures that I prefer the warmer colors when dimmed, areas with a fire place look better with a nice dimmed incandescent lamp in my eyes vs. the LED's, I'm not willing to give that up yet. I hope the new sunset diming lamps will solve this for me.

All the other areas of the house indoors and outdoors have been changed to FEIT or Cree lamps.

Edit: I'm looking for a sunset lamp in a A-19, you can find the PAR lamps
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-

davebo

Post by davebo » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:15 pm

dbCooperAir wrote:
davebo wrote: 1) Have you noticed that LED bulbs don’t DIM all the way down like normal bulbs?
Yes, mine don't anyway, and I have tried more than few of them.

davebo wrote: 2) Any opinion on brands? Ones that closely replicate the warmness of regular bulbs?
The issue I have with the current brands is none of them become warmer as you dim them, manufactures are coming out with lamps that will but I have not seen them in the wild yet. Some call it sunset dimming, warm dimming etc.
https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/newsroom ... tores.aspx

I have a pile of fixtures that I prefer the warmer colors when dimmed, areas with a fire place look better with a nice dimmed incandescent lamp in my eyes vs. the LED's, I'm not willing to give that up yet. I hope the new sunset diming lamps will solve this for me.

All the other areas of the house indoors and outdoors have been changed to FEIT or Cree lamps.

Edit: I'm looking for a sunset lamp in a A-19, you can find the PAR lamps
Yes, I've noticed that about the dimming as well. I assumed the brightness problem could be solved by just dimming the lights a bit, but it didn't do the trick for me.

The FEIT bulbs that I purchased were advertised as "soft lights" with a 2700 color temperature, but they still look a little too bright. Hopefully the CREE's will do the trick and look a little softer. My wife and I definitely notice the brightness, but she seems to think it won't make a huge difference. I'm concerned that swapping out 8 lights per room with a slightly brighter bulb will actually make a huge difference.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:29 pm

If you want to dim an LED get something like a Hue that controls the dimming in the bulbs power supply. The reason incandescent dimmers don't work well is that the LED dies work best with a regulated current. The power supply in the base of the bulb is doing is best to regulate the current. That the LED dims at all is because the current regulator is not perfect and voltage changes bleed through. But it's hard to design a supply that is both close enough to constant current to keep the LED from burning up with voltage fluctuations and bad enough to give you the dimming you want. So they compromise by not dimming enough.

Color temperature is another effect. An incandescent gets cooler (more yellow or red) as you dim it. An LED stays the same color. This means that a dimmed incandescent looks like a sunset, a dimmed LED looks like a large room with a tiny window (I.e. daylight color but not much light).

Edit for grammar
Last edited by Epsilon Delta on Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hectorochoa

Post by hectorochoa » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:51 pm

I have purchased some of these from WalMart for $8.88 and am happy with them.

Walmart #: 552605213

partner

Post by partner » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:55 pm

davebo wrote:So I have about 35 recessed lights in my house that currently use a 65 watt flood lights. I've heard about LEDs for quite awhile and decided to test a few of them out since my electric bills have always seemed very high (due to having little kids leaving lights on).

So far I've only tested out only FEIT bulbs (1 set from Costco, 1 from Ace hardware). They look pretty good compared to normal lights, but they are a smidge brighter it seems. When I dim the lights all the way down, the lights are not near darkness like regular bulbs are. That doesn't concern me as much as the fact that they are a bit brighter overall. I’m probably staring at them a bit too much and maybe a random visitor wouldn’t notice it, but I think someone would definitely be able to point out the LED light if you asked them. Originally, I thought the brightness was due to the fact that I had purchased the Costco lights which were 750 Lumens. I then went to Ace Hardware and purchased the FEIT 65W 650 Lumens (thinking it wouldn’t be as bright) and they actually look MORE bright than the Costco ones.

I now think I’m going to test out the CREE bulbs from Home Depot since they get good reviews. I really wanted to do the Costco ones since they are $10/bulb vs. $17.50 bulb for the CREE ones at Home Depot. A few questions.

1) Have you noticed that LED bulbs don’t DIM all the way down like normal bulbs?
2) Any opinion on brands? Ones that closely replicate the warmness of regular bulbs?
I recently bought GE LED BR30 2700 60/65 Watt (equivalent) bulbs at Target for $5.99 and A19s at Walmart for less than $5. . They keep running out but seem to resupply quickly. I recently moved into a new energy star house that had all covered CFL bulbs installed. I hated the way the room was dark for a few minutes until the CFL got up to speed. I only had to put 1-2 LEDs (depending on room size) in each room room to solve the problem. Since the CFLs were also 2700 and covered (spiral enclosed in glass) You can't tell the difference except the fist couple minutes after turning on if you look right at them. The CFL looks pink until warmed up.
My local Electric supplier may be subsidizing the price but I don't know for sure.

Bengineer

Post by Bengineer » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:36 am

I just put in a few Philips #452383 BR30 2700k 9.5w flood bulbs. They seem a bit brighter, but their 650 lumens vs the 620 (somewhat less after aging) incandescents they replaced doesn't seem like much. 10% maybe?

I like them. The light is good, the light is spread a bit more, not so much guilt when I leave them on. I don't have them on a dimmer.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:33 pm

I actually just recently earned some Continuing Education credits from a class about the intricacies of various types of LED bulbs. My personal conclusion is a preference for the best lumens to wattage ratio, which I found to be the CREE bulbs.

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:32 am

We have a bunch of recessed LEDs.

They don't dim as far down as incandescents for me either

They indeed 'feel' brighter, even at the same max brightness and color temperature.

I've used BR30 bulbs from several manufacturers. The biggest difference was how "pointy" the light LED's would look if you stared directly at the bulb, as well as how long they took to glow off when the power was cut. incredibly minor stuff.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:21 am

Bengineer wrote:I just put in a few Philips #452383 BR30 2700k 9.5w flood bulbs. They seem a bit brighter, but their 650 lumens vs the 620 (somewhat less after aging) incandescents they replaced doesn't seem like much. 10% maybe?

I like them. The light is good, the light is spread a bit more, not so much guilt when I leave them on. I don't have them on a dimmer.
In Europe I have had very good experience with Philips bulbs. The 2700K yellow color, the reliability etc. Whereas some other brands of LED have been less satisfactory.

mikep

Post by mikep » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:02 am

Check your local electric utility rebates, which mine offered $5.00 off/bulb for cree at home depot. Then you can buy home depot gift cards second hand for 8-12% off such as at cardcash.com and use those to buy but Costco not so much. This may lower the price difference.

Postmon

Post by Postmon » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:39 pm

Rather than switch to LEDs, have you looked into motion sensor switches that turn on/off automatically when someone is in the room? Seems like the LEDs are getting better/cheaper by the day and I'd hate to invest all that money into 35 bulbs given how fast they're improving.

I started converting over to Feit LEDs but found the color to be too white and sterile even though they were 2700K. I then found the Philips Warm Glow bulbs. The color was great -- just like an incandescent but they buzzed all the time. So, now I'm back to incandescents and waiting for an LED that works for me.

davebo

Post by davebo » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:31 pm

Postmon wrote:Rather than switch to LEDs, have you looked into motion sensor switches that turn on/off automatically when someone is in the room? Seems like the LEDs are getting better/cheaper by the day and I'd hate to invest all that money into 35 bulbs given how fast they're improving.

I started converting over to Feit LEDs but found the color to be too white and sterile even though they were 2700K. I then found the Philips Warm Glow bulbs. The color was great -- just like an incandescent but they buzzed all the time. So, now I'm back to incandescents and waiting for an LED that works for me.
I actually tested a few different types of bulbs (CREE, FEIT, and SATCO). Surprisingly, the FEIT's I purchased in a local hardware store were of lower quality (in my view) than the ones purchased from Costo. The costco ones were around $6/bulb and looked the best out of all of them....they also had the highest CRI out of all of them (93+ vs. 80). I actually found the CREE brand out of HD to be the worst looking.

I'll monitor my electric bill and see if there is any noticeable change.

miles2go

Post by miles2go » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:31 pm

I'm using the 65-watt replacement Philips BR30 floods (not the newest slim-lines) in my basement and they produce a pretty nice dimmable light. I put them on a Maestro occupancy switch/dimmer so if the kids forget to turn them off no worries. I previously tried Cree's floods and they just looked too yellow -- people looked almost jaundiced -- so I returned them.

Anyone try Cree's TW series?
...and [many] miles to go before I retire.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:54 pm

davebo wrote:I actually tested a few different types of bulbs (CREE, FEIT, and SATCO). Surprisingly, the FEIT's I purchased in a local hardware store were of lower quality (in my view) than the ones purchased from Costo. The costco ones were around $6/bulb and looked the best out of all of them....they also had the highest CRI out of all of them (93+ vs. 80). I actually found the CREE brand out of HD to be the worst looking.
Possibly a case of the smaller hardware store having old stock. It can be worth checking manufacturing dates. Manufacturers have been known to do incremental updates without changing the packaging.

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:53 pm

By the way, if anyone is thinking about replacing their 65 watt incandescent flood lights with the CREE LED bulbs, I just had a very good experience with these today. In the main kitchen area, I have a total of 6 65 watt BR30s in recessed cans. When one of them recently burned out, I decided to go LED and I replaced it with a 65W Equivalent Soft White (2700K) BR30 Dimmable LED Flood Light Bulb at Home Depot just to see how it looks. Not only was I very pleased with the light, it was actually pretty difficult to discern the difference from the other nearby 5 incandescent bulbs. In fact so much so that I decided to wait until the other five incandescent bulbs burn out before replacing them versus doing it all at the same time.
Cosmo

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:56 pm

Cosmo wrote:By the way, if anyone is thinking about replacing their 65 watt incandescent flood lights with the CREE LED bulbs, I just had a very good experience with these today. In the main kitchen area, I have a total of 6 65 watt BR30s in recessed cans. When one of them recently burned out, I decided to go LED and I replaced it with a 65W Equivalent Soft White (2700K) BR30 Dimmable LED Flood Light Bulb at Home Depot just to see how it looks. Not only was I very pleased with the light, it was actually pretty difficult to discern the difference from the other nearby 5 incandescent bulbs. In fact so much so that I decided to wait until the other five incandescent bulbs burn out before replacing them versus doing it all at the same time.
Cosmo
If you run the numbers, as I did, you might be amazed to discover that it would pay you back to replace the 65 watt bulbs NOW.

The tradeoff is if the price of LED bulbs falls faster than your discount rate, that's unlikely to be so. And they are falling. But, 2 years ago or so, I replaced all my 50 watt halogen bulbs before they were due for replacement. At my electricity rate (c. 22 cents US/ kwhr) it paid off to do so immediately-- even with bulbs costing me about USD20 at that time.

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:34 pm

Valuethinker wrote:
Cosmo wrote:By the way, if anyone is thinking about replacing their 65 watt incandescent flood lights with the CREE LED bulbs, I just had a very good experience with these today. In the main kitchen area, I have a total of 6 65 watt BR30s in recessed cans. When one of them recently burned out, I decided to go LED and I replaced it with a 65W Equivalent Soft White (2700K) BR30 Dimmable LED Flood Light Bulb at Home Depot just to see how it looks. Not only was I very pleased with the light, it was actually pretty difficult to discern the difference from the other nearby 5 incandescent bulbs. In fact so much so that I decided to wait until the other five incandescent bulbs burn out before replacing them versus doing it all at the same time.
Cosmo
If you run the numbers, as I did, you might be amazed to discover that it would pay you back to replace the 65 watt bulbs NOW.

The tradeoff is if the price of LED bulbs falls faster than your discount rate, that's unlikely to be so. And they are falling. But, 2 years ago or so, I replaced all my 50 watt halogen bulbs before they were due for replacement. At my electricity rate (c. 22 cents US/ kwhr) it paid off to do so immediately-- even with bulbs costing me about USD20 at that time.
I was thinking the same thing. Since I am in no real hurry, I am going to wait and scrub the web for any specials over the next few weeks and purchase more of them. It will be really nice to get the ones above our stairs replaced since those are such a PITA to replace because of the height. Hopefully they will indeed last for many years. Hell, I would be glad to get just half the life out of them (10 years or so). They actually have a 10 year warranty, which is nice.

Cosmo

3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:01 pm

You needn't replace all of the incandescent bulbs. Prioritize and replace the ones you use the most. If you use a led bulb in place of a 60W incandescent you are saving about 50W. If you run that bulb 5 hours a day you are saving 1/4 th of a kilowatt hour. If your electric cost is $0.20/ kwhr that is about a nickel a day $1.50 a month $18/year. So even at the prices you are talking about, the bulb will pay for itself in less than a year. On the other hand, it you replace a bulb that you use only an hour a day, it won't pay for itself for 5 years.

You can get them in any warmth you want. I replaced some floods in my living room with daylight 4000K led floods and really like them. But that's my preference.

ERMD

Post by ERMD » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:12 pm

just replaced all the 65w floods in our living room/kitchen (12 total bulbs) with philips warming glow LEDs. fantastic bulbs, and when they dim, they actually turn a burnt orange color, simulating what incandescents do when dimmed. couldn't be happier. i also looked at CREE and FEIT bulbs.

these cost me 16.99 per bulb at home depot. can't remember the numbers off the top of my head, but going from incandescents, my break even point was about 2 years.
between scotch and nothing, i'll take scotch. -- faulkner

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:55 pm

The Cree and the Philips are getting very close.

I can tell the difference b/w the Cree's and regualar 65w incandescent bulbs.

I still prefer the incandescent bulbs but I've started rotating the Cree's in. Basically every other bulb is an LED.

It's not as pleasing but does help the electric bill.

davebo

Post by davebo » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:49 am

I tried the CREE and thought it was too grocery store-ish. The BR30 FEIT at Costco were, by far and away, the best looking and the best price. They were $11.99 for 2 bulbs.

I got really excited after I saw my electric bill this past month since it showed usage was down 30% from the same time last year (similar temperatures). Only thing I forgot is that I was gone for 5 days, so probably not exactly a true reading. Still though, I've never seen a drop like that (even when I've been on vacation) so I think it had a big impact.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:17 am

davebo wrote:I tried the CREE and thought it was too grocery store-ish. The BR30 FEIT at Costco were, by far and away, the best looking and the best price. They were $11.99 for 2 bulbs.

I got really excited after I saw my electric bill this past month since it showed usage was down 30% from the same time last year (similar temperatures). Only thing I forgot is that I was gone for 5 days, so probably not exactly a true reading. Still though, I've never seen a drop like that (even when I've been on vacation) so I think it had a big impact.
About 3 years ago I had this drop in electricity consumption of about 20% (10 kwhr pw). It's the only thing which I can really trace it to. So I am guessing that 25 LEDs (replacing 50w halogens) and a few CFLs was worth 500 kwhr pa. At my electricity prices that is saving $120 pa, say.

agent13x

Post by agent13x » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:09 pm

I decked out my entire kitchen with these from Philips. http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B008NNZSI0

Mine are the older version with regular dimming. They have a new version out that is called "Soft White with Warm Glow" that claims to dim the color temperature down, just like a regular bulb. You should check them out. I have no need to dim our kitchen lights, but I might try these for the basement.

I tried several LED bulbs, and these were simply the best ones I could find as far as matching the brightness and color of regular bulbs.

ERMD

Post by ERMD » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:44 am

agent13x wrote:I decked out my entire kitchen with these from Philips. http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B008NNZSI0

Mine are the older version with regular dimming. They have a new version out that is called "Soft White with Warm Glow" that claims to dim the color temperature down, just like a regular bulb. You should check them out. I have no need to dim our kitchen lights, but I might try these for the basement.

I tried several LED bulbs, and these were simply the best ones I could find as far as matching the brightness and color of regular bulbs.
yup. see my post above.
between scotch and nothing, i'll take scotch. -- faulkner

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:42 am

Cosmo wrote:
Valuethinker wrote:
Cosmo

I was thinking the same thing. Since I am in no real hurry, I am going to wait and scrub the web for any specials over the next few weeks and purchase more of them. It will be really nice to get the ones above our stairs replaced since those are such a PITA to replace because of the height. Hopefully they will indeed last for many years. Hell, I would be glad to get just half the life out of them (10 years or so). They actually have a 10 year warranty, which is nice.

Cosmo
NOTE: This OP is over two years old.

I wanted to resurrect this thread to see if any others have had negative experiences with replacing their conventional flood lights in recessed cans with LED bulbs (CREE). Since replacing four of the lamps in my kitchen area with LED bulbs over two years ago, two of them have burned out, with the second one burning out yesterday. I initially thought it was a fluke and I had the first one replaced. However, after reading up on it a bit more, I found out that the life expectancy of the bulbs can be shorter when using these LEDs in conventional recessed cans due to heat dissipation issues. Turns out, I should have either installed and LED retrofit module or a brand new dedicated LED housing and trim. What is everyone else's experience with this? Sound like the former method should be easy enough but the latter should be left to the pros.

Cosmo

ZinCO

Post by ZinCO » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:09 am

I followed this thread when it originally came out. Ended up doing 30+ of these:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-E ... 950542-_-N

No failures so far. They look far better than open cans in my opinion, and have the foam gasket and are rated airtight (a temp gun was showing the area right around the cans was around 50F before I replaced them, so there was significant heat loss before).

These are frequently on sale, you can order them in bulk through the website also (up to 6/box I think). Don't be fooled though by the similar-looking cheaper ones from the same manufacturer that do NOT have the gasket.

ZinCO

Post by ZinCO » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:15 am

Almost forgot: a month after we moved in to this house we had a huge Miller Moth infestation. I believe they were coming into the house from the attic, through the holes in the sides of the cans. They were bad enough that they were setting of the motion sensors on the alarm system (we were on a trip and had to have the alarm company remotely disable the motion sensors while we were gone).

So hopefully I'm keeping the moths out in the summer and the heat in in the winter. The moths are a once-every-seven-years thing I understand, so can't say for sure whether that problem has been solved or not.

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:56 am

ZinCO wrote:I followed this thread when it originally came out. Ended up doing 30+ of these:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-E ... 950542-_-N

No failures so far. They look far better than open cans in my opinion, and have the foam gasket and are rated airtight (a temp gun was showing the area right around the cans was around 50F before I replaced them, so there was significant heat loss before).

These are frequently on sale, you can order them in bulk through the website also (up to 6/box I think). Don't be fooled though by the similar-looking cheaper ones from the same manufacturer that do NOT have the gasket.
It sounds pretty straight-forward but how long does it take to install one fixture?

squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:06 pm

I just installed about 40 of these at my mothers, last year. I just used some generic retros from HD. I suggest two people, I had one of my guys go in the attic and hold down the can, went smooth and quick, given the existing cans weren't screwed down and some slightly bigger in diameter that I had to patch. Took two days after patch work. Way smaller electric bills. 2700k light, 10w per can 750lumens. Most homeowners should be able to handle it themselves if they don't run into problems like we did.

amazing all the waste in electricity with old style incandescent bulbs. 10w led vs 100w flood.

ZinCO

Post by ZinCO » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:20 pm

In my case, the existing cans were well-anchored so I didn't need anyone to hold them down. There were a couple with big gaps between the can and the drywall cuts, so I took the opportunity to fill those gaps (although the lip on the retrofit lights would have covered those gaps anyway). For the vast majority it was five minutes apiece. Took just as long to move the ladder as it did to remove the existing bulb, pull off the existing trim, bend down the tabs (some of the cans had the tabs bent up out of the way, but the springs on the retrofits need them to anchor) and push the retrofit into place. I was replacing Philips LED BR30's so no real change in electric bill, but much better aesthetics and the airseal mentioned previously...

Now I've got all these BR30's sitting in a box. Think I paid about $20 apiece. I should donate them somewhere...

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:38 pm

squirm wrote:I just installed about 40 of these at my mothers, last year. I just used some generic retros from HD. I suggest two people, I had one of my guys go in the attic and hold down the can, went smooth and quick, given the existing cans weren't screwed down and some slightly bigger in diameter that I had to patch. Took two days after patch work. Way smaller electric bills. 2700k light, 10w per can 750lumens. Most homeowners should be able to handle it themselves if they don't run into problems like we did.

amazing all the waste in electricity with old style incandescent bulbs. 10w led vs 100w flood.
Thank you. Good to know this. That would be a show-stopper for me as I do not have easy access to the attic space above.

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:39 pm

ZinCO wrote:In my case, the existing cans were well-anchored so I didn't need anyone to hold them down. There were a couple with big gaps between the can and the drywall cuts, so I took the opportunity to fill those gaps (although the lip on the retrofit lights would have covered those gaps anyway). For the vast majority it was five minutes apiece. Took just as long to move the ladder as it did to remove the existing bulb, pull off the existing trim, bend down the tabs (some of the cans had the tabs bent up out of the way, but the springs on the retrofits need them to anchor) and push the retrofit into place. I was replacing Philips LED BR30's so no real change in electric bill, but much better aesthetics and the airseal mentioned previously...

Now I've got all these BR30's sitting in a box. Think I paid about $20 apiece. I should donate them somewhere...
Thank you.

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:27 pm

I have tried almost every brand. In my opinion, Phillips warm glow leds are the best for those that want an incandescent replacement (yellow Hue not daylight). They dim closer to an incandescent than any other by far, don't buzz, and can get almost as dim as incandescent.

I have not had them for very long though, they're kind of new. Cree pissed me off because all my older Cree bulbs are going out after just a few years, maybe 3 or 4. Way shorter than the supposed life span. All the other brands dim horrible, or buzz, or don't look right. The Lowe's generic ecosmart brand died even faster than the Cree ones, maybe a couple years.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:09 pm

While we are on the topic of LEDs, is anyone having any issues with LEDs flickering very slightly? I started replacing older Cree LEDs in my master bath and noticed the newer bulbs from Costco started flickering very slightly (barely noticeable but there) if the dimmer switch was anywhere other than full brightness. Full brightness has no issues. Dimmers were installed new five years ago and at the time we were using incandescent bulbs and later switched to Cree LEDs. The Cree bulbs started to noticeably flicker as they began to go bad and were replaced.
Tom D.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:36 pm

tomd37 wrote:While we are on the topic of LEDs, is anyone having any issues with LEDs flickering very slightly? I started replacing older Cree LEDs in my master bath and noticed the newer bulbs from Costco started flickering very slightly (barely noticeable but there) if the dimmer switch was anywhere other than full brightness. Full brightness has no issues. Dimmers were installed new five years ago and at the time we were using incandescent bulbs and later switched to Cree LEDs. The Cree bulbs started to noticeably flicker as they began to go bad and were replaced.
Get an electronic dimmer for LED bulbs.