Yahoo mail [problems]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tc101

Yahoo mail [problems]

Post by tc101 »

Today yahoo mail is not listing current email. Mine starts with the newest messages on Oct 23. Reading online, other people are getting different dates, and other problems. Yahoo mail is getting worse and worse. I may switch.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
runner9

Re: Yahoo mail

Post by runner9 »

Mine shows correctly. Often during weekdays, mid part of the day, the whole inbox and folders are unavailable on and off on a regular basis. For me though it's always either working or always not working, never just showing some e-mails.
lazyday

Post by lazyday »

Opinions will differ but I trust google more than yahoo or microsoft for quality, reliability, and for being reasonable, open, and honest about my privacy.

I don't have an opinion on apple email.

gmail has had brief outages, but I've never experienced a problem.
Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 »

I have a fastmail account which I pay for, but don't use for regular email. I think I will switch to fastmail for all email.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
lazyday

Post by lazyday »

Does it have good spam control? Not every provider does.
chaz

Post by chaz »

Yahoo working just fine.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
cfs

Post by cfs »

My Yahoo account.

My Yahoo email account is working as designed, running good, this is my oldest and most reliable email account (one of the original Yahoo email accounts).
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
Toons

Post by Toons »

Glad I checked Yahoo mail,,,hadn't looked at it several months,,,over 2k emails :shock: ,working fine
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

tc101 wrote:Today yahoo mail is not listing current email. Mine starts with the newest messages on Oct 23. Reading online, other people are getting different dates, and other problems. Yahoo mail is getting worse and worse. I may switch.
The problem is that this is out of your control ... and in the control of your friends. :oops:

I have tried to switch out of Yahoo! but my friends still continue sending e-mails to me there. I am getting e-mails from my kids' Science Olympiad coach, even AFTER I expressly informed her to use my gmail account. I am part of a cultural organization/group. Now these are internet/tech savvy folks - I have repeatedly requested them to remove my yahoo e-mail address and put my gmail address instead ... to deaf ears. I have offered to do so myself, but am not getting the password.

So ... bottom line, changing an e-mail address is out of one's control. Now, I check TWO e-mail addresses. Those who e-mail me at Yahoo don't hear back from me (or don't hear back from me in time). But that does not appear to be impacting the Yahoos who mail me there :oops:
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

an_asker wrote: So ... bottom line, changing an e-mail address is out of one's control. Now, I check TWO e-mail addresses. Those who e-mail me at Yahoo don't hear back from me (or don't hear back from me in time). But that does not appear to be impacting the Yahoos who mail me there :oops:
Set the Yahoo account to forward, or set it to bounce, or set it to send an auto-reply reminding them to change. You can even automate sending increasingly aggressive notification based on how many times they yahoo.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

an_asker wrote:So ... bottom line, changing an e-mail address is out of one's control. Now, I check TWO e-mail addresses. Those who e-mail me at Yahoo don't hear back from me (or don't hear back from me in time). But that does not appear to be impacting the Yahoos who mail me there :oops:
I have the same problem. But I use Thunderbird and all email shows up in one place. Actually, I have more than one Gmail plus the Yahoo [plus the Outlook that noone knows about since it is only for OneDrive access]. But they all show up in separate folders in T-Bird.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
gardemanger

Post by gardemanger »

I have had the same Yahoo email account since 1998. I long ago set it up to forward to gmail*, because I *vastly* prefer gmail's interface and mail management. I haven't logged into the actual Yahoo email site for at least 5 or 6 years. I never had any problem with emails being lost or delayed.

* To do this, you have to get a paid Yahoo "Mail Plus" account at $19.99 a year, which offers POP and forwarding, whereas the standard free Yahoo mail does not. To me, it's worth it to have only one email address which I haven't changed in sixteen years.

** Criminy, I think this may have changed because now I'm seeing info about "Yahoo Ad Free Mail" which costs $50/year and it appears that "Mail Plus" is only available on a grandfathered basis to those who already have it. BUT the site that I'm looking at also seems to indicate that the free standard mail accounts now DO have POP and forwarding. Hmmm...

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/yahoo-account ... 15954.html
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I use Yahoo POP for free.
gardemanger

Post by gardemanger »

Yes, as I said in my post, it didn't used to be free. How recently did they make it free? I shall be rather cross with myself if I've been paying for Mail Plus for years without checking.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I think about a year ago.
lululu

Post by lululu »

jebmke wrote: I have the same problem. But I use Thunderbird and all email shows up in one place. Actually, I have more than one Gmail plus the Yahoo [plus the Outlook that noone knows about since it is only for OneDrive access]. But they all show up in separate folders in T-Bird.
+1
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

I no longer use gmail for privacy concerns, mainly I don't want them to be selling me add by parsing my emails. I use Apple mail but I don't use any web interface. I use dedicated apps for each of the devices I own. They do have a web interface if I so desired.
Seekay

Post by Seekay »

an_asker wrote: I have tried to switch out of Yahoo! but my friends still continue sending e-mails to me there. I am getting e-mails from my kids' Science Olympiad coach, even AFTER I expressly informed her to use my gmail account. I am part of a cultural organization/group. Now these are internet/tech savvy folks - I have repeatedly requested them to remove my yahoo e-mail address and put my gmail address instead ... to deaf ears. I have offered to do so myself, but am not getting the password.

So ... bottom line, changing an e-mail address is out of one's control. Now, I check TWO e-mail addresses. Those who e-mail me at Yahoo don't hear back from me (or don't hear back from me in time). But that does not appear to be impacting the Yahoos who mail me there :oops:
FWIW, you should be able to fetch your Yahoo email into your Gmail account. I haven't used it with Yahoo, but don't see why it wouldn't work as Gmail uses POP to fetch it.
More info here: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/21289?hl=en
You can even set it to reply from your Gmail account, so any future responses would directly come to your Gmail. Over time, your friend's email clients may automatically start to default to your Gmail address as they notice its the more frequent used one (Gmail does this by default)
Allocationist

Post by Allocationist »

I used Yahoo mail as my primary e-mail service for many years. In the past several months it has tended to freeze up and/or been inaccessible. This seems to have occurred as Yahoo was "upgrading" and "enhancing" their mail service.

In the past few weeks it got worse. About two weeks ago several hundred e-mails I received between July 2014 and November 2014 disappeared from various folders where I had them stored. Then, for some reason, over the course of a day or two, Yahoo mail resent me about five or six thousand e-mails I had previously received with the date/time they were resent.

Prior to Yahoo mail resending the messages, the vast majority of the thousands of e-mails were neatly filed in about twenty folders in chronological order. When they were resent to me they all ended up in my "In box" with the same date.

I had been thinking about changing to a new e-mail service for some time but kept putting it off because of the difficulty of changing my e-mail address with so many of my online accounts. When Yahoo mail resent the thousands of e-mails it created so much havoc in my Yahoo mail account that I made the move to G-mail. I found G-mail is much more stable and responsive. I'm glad Yahoo "forced" me to make the change.
wassabi

Post by wassabi »

tc101 wrote:I have a fastmail account which I pay for, but don't use for regular email. I think I will switch to fastmail for all email.
Best decision I made for email. I trust them and have access to support if I have any questions. For the price of one restaurant visit I get a year's worth of quality email.
gardemanger

Post by gardemanger »

If it's only been a year since Yahoo made that change to allow POP in free Yahoo Mail accounts, then I don't feel so bad, because I haven't paid for a Mail Plus renewal in almost a year. I certainly have no reason to renew the paid account unless/until they change the rules again.

Seekay, as I said above, I have a Yahoo e-mail account that I've had for over sixteen years and I've been forwarding it to my gmail account for about six years. I give out only the Yahoo address for everything, including all my financial business, and I've never had a single problem with emails disappearing or even getting delayed, so either I'm lucky, or the problems Yahoo Mail has been having reside mostly in the Yahoo Mail interface, which I don't ever use. I just access everything in Gmail and use gmail folders and rules and all the rest of it, never any problems.

Sometimes I get to amaze the young with the fact that my email address is my real first and last name. Then I can really look like a dinosaur by explaining that I got that username *before Yahoo mail existed* - because it was originally a Rocketmail account. But I'm afraid that doesn't make me cool, just old.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

I've used both gmail, and yahoo for years. Both have some issues, but work for me just fine.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

gardemanger wrote:I have had the same Yahoo email account since 1998. I long ago set it up to forward to gmail*, because I *vastly* prefer gmail's interface and mail management.[...]
Yahoo! email management used to be really great until about, say, three-four years ago. Now it is horrible. The navigation bar to the right of the e-mail is so narrow, every so often, I click to the right of it and get the popup message about going ad-free for $$.

But just because you brought it up, here is what I dislike about gmail mail management - and maybe someone here knows of a workaround. I like to keep my e-mails in folders (as of now, I have given up on being able to do so with gmail). In gmail, the way I go about doing it is:

a) search the topic (or sender or ...)
b) mark all the e-mails
c) unfortunately, at this point, there is no way to select a folder to move all the mail to, so I
c- 1) tag all the e-mails
c- 2) go back to the inbox
c-3) painstakingly go page by page finding those e-mails that are now tagged
c-4) move them to the desired folders

It is probably just me, but I do not like labels and have the emails still show up in the inbox. Would be really nice if you guys are aware of a workaround or a better way to move specific (100s?) of emails into a folder at one go.

FWIW, I've had yahoo since before 1998.
gardemanger

Post by gardemanger »

What you want to do is set up a filter in Gmail.

Go to any single message that is the type of message you want for your new folder, go to the little arrow pull-down in the upper right, choose "Filter messages like this."

The next screen gives you a search box where you can search on sender, topic, subject line, some other characteristics. Enter the characteristics you want to search on and select "Create filter with this search."

The next screen gives you the option of what to do with messages that are returned by this search - put them in an existing folder by applying an existing label, create a new label to make a new folder, many other things. You also want to check the box that will apply the filter to the messages found by the search that you've received in the past.
gardemanger

Post by gardemanger »

...Bearing in mind that Gmail uses the term "labels" instead of "folders," so the list of "folders" that appears on the left of the screen is not actually folders. Doesn't matter, they are the same thing in effect, and one useful aspect of labels is that you can apply more than one label to any message.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

I thought that there is/was a key difference - messages that are moved to the folders do not show up in the inbox whereas messages with labels do. Or is this just my misunderstanding?
lululu

Post by lululu »

an_asker wrote: Yahoo! email management used to be really great until about, say, three-four years ago. Now it is horrible.
They wrecked the groups interface so badly, I half believe they did it on purpose because, for some reason, they don't want people to use groups.

I would really be interested to know how these unusable interfaces came about.
gardemanger

Post by gardemanger »

an_asker wrote:I thought that there is/was a key difference - messages that are moved to the folders do not show up in the inbox whereas messages with labels do. Or is this just my misunderstanding?
No, there are no folders. Just labels. You select whether or not you want a labeled messages to continue to show up in the Inbox when you create a filter to label incoming messages and/or previously received messages. I cut and pasted the options below. When you "Archive" a message it doesn't really go away, just doesn't appear in the Inbox. If you have a label actively showing in your left-hand column you can click on it and look at all the messages in it whether they are "archived" or not.

When a message arrives that matches this search:
Skip the Inbox (Archive it)
Mark as read
Star it
Apply the label: Choose label...
Forward it add forwarding address
Delete it
Never send it to Spam
Always mark it as important
Never mark it as important
Categorize as: Choose category...
Create filter
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

gardemanger wrote:
an_asker wrote:I thought that there is/was a key difference - messages that are moved to the folders do not show up in the inbox whereas messages with labels do. Or is this just my misunderstanding?
No, there are no folders. Just labels. You select whether or not you want a labeled messages to continue to show up in the Inbox when you create a filter to label incoming messages and/or previously received messages. I cut and pasted the options below. When you "Archive" a message it doesn't really go away, just doesn't appear in the Inbox. If you have a label actively showing in your left-hand column you can click on it and look at all the messages in it whether they are "archived" or not.

When a message arrives that matches this search:
Skip the Inbox (Archive it)
Mark as read
Star it
Apply the label: Choose label...
Forward it add forwarding address
Delete it
Never send it to Spam
Always mark it as important
Never mark it as important
Categorize as: Choose category...
Create filter
Let me double check when I get home. Don't have access to gmail right now.
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

Yahoo e-mail is running like a Swiss watch from my end.