Ski questions from a Southerner

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Lynn1987

Ski questions from a Southerner

Post by Lynn1987 »

My family will be taking a vacation in a couple of weeks and will only have one day during the trip to spend at a ski resort (Big Sky). Is it worth it to take the "ski school" class? Or since we wouldn't have time to really practice what we learned anyway, should we just get the ski lift ticket for the beginner slopes and give it a try on our own? Also, any tips on where to buy clothing? Don't want to spend a lot and would prefer to get something we could wear other places. What about the Target C9 brand Duo Dry pants (the ones with the light fleece inside). Would that over thermals work instead of regular ski pants?
livesoft

Re: Ski questions from a Southerner

Post by livesoft »

For one day, I would buy long johns and wear jeans over them. Besides that, I would not even go the first time for one day.

One will need good gloves or mittens, good hats and probably good goggles in addition to one's blue jeans.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

I would take a half day lesson or maybe just 2 hours then spend the rest of the day falling down on the beginner hills. There are companies that rent ski clothes, not sure if they are near the resort you are going to.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

Recently, a family member visited me and like you wanted to go skiing and only had one day to ski. My advice was to try something else due to the time constraint and expense associated with skiing. I advised her to try snowtubing or sleighing. My reason was she needed clothes and equipment, all things she would need to rent. She had also never skied so she needed a lesson. Overall, the cost was too much for one day.

When I first started out, I tried to teach myself to ski and paid a huge price as I hit the ground several times throughout the day. It got to the point where I wasn't having fun and stopped. The following day, I took a lesson and by the third day I felt really comfortable on slopes and wasn't falling nearly as much. A lesson will work wonders. At least it worked wonders for me. I wouldn't have taken a lesson had I stayed for one day. Also,knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have tried to ski without a lesson on day one.
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

To be honest it really isn't worth it for one day. I would try some other winter activity. At a minimum I would recommend 3 lessons and a couple more days on your own to practice what you've learned. Good luck.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

If you do ski, I would try to take a lesson in the morning, then hit the bunny slopes. At the very least, you'll learn how to fall and not break your leg. I agree that 1 day probably isn't enough, but you're there and might as well try it.

Good luck,

JT
Watty

Post by Watty »

Is your schedule flexible so that you can switch which day to ski?

If not then there is a fair chance that you will have bad weather the day that you are expecting to ski so if you spend a lot on clothing you might not get to use it. I would go to thrift stores and see what you can find there. If you are unlikely to use it again you can just donate it to a thrift store there so that you don't have to haul it back home.

I don't know about that ski resort but often there is a nearby place where you can rent sleds and inner tubes and you might have a lot more fun doing that.

If you do go skiing the do take the beginner class. Years ago before I learned to ski the first time I went to a ski resort I was too late for the morning classes so I just went to slopes and gave it a try. After quickly falling down about four times I managed to get up better and started going down hill .... too fast....How to stop?.....How to turn? ..... head over heals crash ! I was pretty banged up and I had ripped my pants from my knee to my waist, at least I had long johns on and a spare pair of pants in the car. I ended up going inside and waited for the afternoon beginner class
Drew777

Post by Drew777 »

They should be able to give you a basic crash course fairly quickly. Spend some time on the bunny slope until you can slide down somewhat under control and then try the beginner slope. As far as clothing, if you wear anything that isn't waterproof spray Scotch Guard on it. I've always used ski clothes, but have friends who have done this and it helps.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Most ski areas have beginner packages that include a lesson, beginner lift ticket, and ski rentals for not much more than a standard ticket. A lesson definitely helps to get you started. Do the lesson in the morning, then spend the afternoon practicing on your own, at your own pace.

Some form of waterproof or water resistant pants are very helpful as a beginner. NOT jeans. You will likely be falling down sometimes, and wet jeans are no fun. Waterproof shell pants over some other pants and thermals would be good. The old style insulated ski bib overalls are excellent for learning, and can often be found cheap. If snowboarding, you definitely want heavy insulated pants, as you will spend plenty of time sitting in the snow.
LowER

Post by LowER »

Nearly 50 year avid skier here (It was my profession on several levels for a while): A snowmobile tour may overall be less expensive and as much or more fun given your circumstances. I also agree with the recommendations for tubing, sledding, or a sleigh ride. If you find a good snowmobile guide, I can almost guarantee you that will bring a lifetime of great memories.

Full disclosure: I am not not nor do I know any snowmobile guides but I did ride them in my youth without guides, but my most memorable times were with family on tours through amazing scenery.

Skiing can be inexpensive when you have acquired the gear over years and have access to cheap season passes and live close, otherwise it can be crazy expensive.

Many snowmobile touring outfits will have all the outerwear and helmets and pretty much everything you need, just ask up front what they can provide.
mt

Post by mt »

Montana guy here. Big Sky has great skiing, but is a destination resort and as such is very expensive. If you are set on downhill I would suggest Bridger Bowl north of Bozeman for two reasons. One, it is cheaper. More importantly, it has better terrain for rank beginners.

Another option would be to cross country skiing. Bohart Ranch is right next to Bridger Bowl and about 30 minutes north of Bozeman. Lone Mountain Ranch is near Big Sky. Both have fun hills. I think you will have just as much fun cross country skiing with less crowds.

Here are prices for beginner packages at all 4 places (rental/lesson/trail or lift pass):

Big Sky (downhill) $119
Bridger Bowl (downhill) $60
Lone Mountain Ranch (cross country) $65
Bohart Ranch (cross country) $40 for classic or $45 for skate skis

All four places are flipping gorgeous and you can't go wrong spending a day outside at any one of these places. I like all four. We'll be spending the week after Christmas in Bozeman and hitting Bridger Bowl and Bohart. Hope this helps.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

i agree with the other comment that if you are a beginner you probably won't have very much fun if you are only going to be there one day.

i spent a week vacation skiing big sky years ago. one day we drove to yellowstone and rented snowmobiles and drove them to old faithful. i think you would have a better time doing something like that rather than snowplowing down the beginner slope.

to you live near any ski area's? i live in atlanta and there is one ski mountain in alabama a couple hours away (not open yet) and one in north carolina a little more than 3 hours away. good places to learn before going to an expensive destination resort.
LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE »

And I'd like to know the date you intend to hit the slopes without a lesson. (So we aren't there to get run over)

Skiing isn't easy, but getting hurt sure is if you don't know what you are doing. Bring your insurance card, and be sure you are covered in that state. 1 out of 4 will end up needing stitches or worse. And hopefully you won't injure someone else.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.
German Expat

Post by German Expat »

Wy wife doesn't ski but happily tags along to go to the mountains and work a bit at the hotel, do some walking, get a massage etc. She did guided snow shoeing tour 2 years ago in Steamboat and really enjoyed it. The gondola brought them up the mountain and they had a great sunny day with a good view. She did not enjoy years ago her only day of skiing. Skiing takes a bit of time to learn and 1 day is just not enough. I would only do it if you plan to come back for skiing but would not bother just so you can say you skied once.

Had a company outing years ago and 1 guy thought its easy, went up with us on the mountain, fell about 10 or more times before he gave up and then carried the skies all the way down. Skiing looks easier then it is and even with the newer carver skis you still got to get the basics worked out first.
Topic Author
Lynn1987

Post by Lynn1987 »

Thank you for all the responses. I know that spending one day at a ski resort is not the most efficient use of our dollars, but being able to travel and try new things as a family is why we scrimp and save in other areas. We talk about places we've gone and adventures we've had for years - long after any "things" we've purchased have been forgotten.

We are actually mainly going to snowmobile in Yellowstone and the area adjacent to it, but since Big Sky was on the way from the airport, I thought it would be a good time to just get a taste of skiing. (The snowmobile rental company provides clothing, boots, gloves, etc. in their package). We live in Tennessee - not in the deep South - so we do have some cold weather. If I can use some clothing we already have and add a few pieces we're lacking, I think we'll be okay and comfortable enough for one day.

The list of less expensive nearby resorts is appreciated and I will look into them to see if we can go to one of them instead. I think that we really do need to take a lesson before trying it on our own, so will likely go that route.

We are not too far from Gatlinburg, TN, which has a small ski area. If we decide we like it after our experience in Montana, we could go to Gatlinburg to get more proficient before planning a ski-only trip. Wish we had thought about doing that before planning this trip!

Thanks again for all the advice!
dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir »

Have you thought about tubing rather than skiing? Granted its not skiing but its still a fun family snow activity, tie the tubes together, all crashing together at the bottom.

Do kids really ski anymore? I see mostly snowboarding around here in the Midwest.

Who are you using/renting your snowmobiles from?
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-
dowse

Post by dowse »

I agree with those who said it's not worth it for one day unless you plan to continue to ski and take lessons on a regular basis. How about snowshoeing? If you can walk, then you can snowshoe. You can find trails for all levels and experience some winter beauty. For southerners, I would think it would be quite a novelty.
spectec

Post by spectec »

Before you leave, if you can get over to Gatlinburg and take a beginner course, you will enjoy the adventure much more when you go on your trip. I've spent 30-45 minutes with beginners many times, then immediately took them up on a beginner slope chair lift. The most important thing for a beginner is to learn how to set a wedge and hold it until they STOP! That's the first thing I show them by standing behind them and pushing them while they are set in a wedge. The eventually learn I can't even push them forward if they have the wedge set & their edges dug in properly. The second best thing is knowing how to fall down under control. Then you learn one of several ways to quickly get back up. Knowing you can maintain control either standing or on the ground is crucial to avoiding injury to yourself and others.

Most beginners wear themselves out using a rope tow, and when they get tired they are more likely to fall & injure themselves when they should be learning some basic technique. So learn how to stop, learn how to fall under control, learn how to get up easily, and then get on a chair lift with a competent teacher so you can get to the top of the beginner slope with enough energy to learn some technique coming down the hill. Eventually (usually with a half-dozen runs) you'll learn how to gradually transition out of the wedge, how to use your poles only for timing, and other simple things which make skiing a wonderful experience.

If you can't get in a class before you go, then by all means take a class if you hit the slopes out there. With the right instructor, you will learn enough to keep yourself and other skiiers out of the emergency room. And a short beginner course costs a lot less than your insurance deductible.
Last edited by spectec on Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

You can have fun on your first day of skiing. However, if you are not prepared for really cold or bad weather, then it will not be fun. That is a decision you can make on that day. I have a feeling after your time in Yellowstone you might have had enough of really cold conditions. Below zero temperatures can get your attention fast. It sounds like a great trip. Have fun.
Best Wishes, | Joe
mt

Post by mt »

The cross country ski trail system in West Yellowstone is awesome. You can rent skis or snowshoes at Free Wheel and Heel, located right before the YNP entrance.
Zecht

Post by Zecht »

I wouldn't buy any special clothes since you probably aren't going to make a regular habit of skiing. I would definitely recommend a short ski school course, not sure what they offer at Big Sky but most have a 2 hour, half day, and full day class. Take the 2 hour one if possible. One thing that will surprise you about downhill skiing is just how exhausted you can get. I would want my skiing trip to be mostly learning and less class if I was going for one day.

Oh and one other thing. If anyone of your family members wants to snowboard instead, remind them that the first 2 or 3 times they do it, they will spend more time on their butt than anything else. It takes time to feel out the balance and control it without falling/faceplanting and being able to respond to little kids who like to arbitrarily stop in the center of slopes for no reason. Skiing is easier for a first timer since the balance is more intuitive.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

livesoft wrote:For one day, I would buy long johns and wear jeans over them. Besides that, I would not even go the first time for one day.

One will need good gloves or mittens, good hats and probably good goggles in addition to one's blue jeans.
Anything but jeans, more generally anything but cotton. If you wear jeans you will be miserable within half an hour. Long johns alone are better than wet jeans over long johns. Naked is warmer than wet jeans over long johns. And for a beginner the jeans will be wet. If you want cheap get wool pants from an army surplus or thrift store. Old wool dress pants are far, far better than jeans.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

Please don't wear jeans! You will be miserable (wet/cold/stiff). You don't have to spend a ton of $$, but follow Epsilon's recommendations or buy, rent, or borrow basic ski pants for the day. Having gear/clothing that matches the weather conditions is key to you enjoying your day.
jackholloway

Post by jackholloway »

Skiing is a great deal of fun on your first day! Rent some skis, take a beginner lesson, then plow around the beginner slopes. Most ski areas are gorgeous, and getting blizzarded on adds.

I would not spend a lot on special gear, though I would pick up a cheap pair of ski pants at a thrift store.
gunn_show

Post by gunn_show »

yukonjack wrote:To be honest it really isn't worth it for one day. I would try some other winter activity. At a minimum I would recommend 3 lessons and a couple more days on your own to practice what you've learned. Good luck.
+1
need several consecutive days for lessons...practice... etc...skiing is not a simple easy sport to pick up, most take years to get beyond green dot bunny slopes
and the cost of goods alone for ski gear makes it the most expensive hobby ever...

go ski sledding or snowmobiling instead
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten
jackholloway

Post by jackholloway »

gunn_show wrote:
yukonjack wrote:To be honest it really isn't worth it for one day. I would try some other winter activity. At a minimum I would recommend 3 lessons and a couple more days on your own to practice what you've learned. Good luck.
+1
need several consecutive days for lessons...practice... etc...skiing is not a simple easy sport to pick up, most take years to get beyond green dot bunny slopes
and the cost of goods alone for ski gear makes it the most expensive hobby ever...

go ski sledding or snowmobiling instead
Seriously? It is only worth doing if you are beyond the bunny runs?

Sure, black diamonds were fun, but it was keen from the first day.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

I can't take this any more with some of the advice in this thread.

Skiing is not a cheap hobby. If you are not willing to shell out some bucks for this, then find something cheaper to do. I confess that for a single day, getting an entire family decked out for skiing seems rather expensive. That doesn't mean it seems expensive to you.

Waterproof pants/bibs are a necessity for skiing, especially if you're learning. But you can skimp on an awful lot of stuff, from skis to mittens. I buy 95% of my gear at a ski swap, used, for ridiculously cheap prices- this year a $100 jacket, $10 mittens, $125 for skis and bindings etc. This isn't crap gear either. It's nice stuff people use to climb in the himalayas. But it's tough for a tourist to find those kinds of deals.

I'd just buy the clothes. It's not like it won't be used for other stuff. That $100 jacket is here in Hawaii with me and working just fine as a windbreaker.

Then just rent the boots/bindings/skis/poles. No biggie. Probably $30 a piece for the day. Add in $80 for a lift ticket and you're good to go. Don't forget sunscreen and goggles, or at least sunglasses if it's a nice day.

A lesson in the am followed by skiing on your own in the afternoon is a good idea.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
robert88

Post by robert88 »

Last edited by robert88 on Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
telemark

Post by telemark »

I've never tried downhill skiing, but I used to do a lot of cross country. With that in mind I recommend polypropylene long underwear. No cotton, unless you are looking for a Jack London experience. Look for synthetics or wool. You can expect to fall down a lot, so the outer layer should be water resistant. Also remember that you will be at altitude, so everything will be harder than you expect. Depending on the weather you may also need sunscreen.
sevenseas

Post by sevenseas »

I think a one-day introduction to downhill skiing is perfectly fine with the recommendations given above as to lesson, clothing, etc. I started with a one-day trip with family and friends as a college student. Didn't take lesson, just goofing around on bunny slopes, nearly had a really bad wipeout in which I barely avoided crashing into the ski rack at the base of the hill. Oh, and I'm pretty sure I was dressed in jeans! Understandably, wasn't taken by the sport after that and didn't go again for many years. As a grad student, I went on another one-day student trip to Sugar Bowl in Tahoe, properly dressed, and took a half day lesson followed by afternoon practicing on bunny slopes. That "second" one day trip got me completely hooked, and was the start of many many glorious hours on the slopes. Point is that just one day could get you and your family hooked, after which you could patronize your local hills or even plan some longer trips if motivated. Have fun!
Topic Author
Lynn1987

Post by Lynn1987 »

Thanks everyone for the additional input. Will definitely not use any cotton. The skis, poles & boots are included with the lesson fee, as is the lift ticket for the beginner slopes. I think that everything we might buy we could also put to use during winter hiking and 4-wheeler riding, which we also enjoy doing occasionally. It's just me, hubby & our teen son, so not a big family to outfit. Several suggested tubing - it sounds fun also...looks like they have that in the evening, so not sure we can fit it into our schedule, but would like to.
dbCooperAir wrote:
Who are you using/renting your snowmobiles from?

From a company in West Yellowstone called Two Top
spectec wrote:Before you leave, if you can get over to Gatlinburg and take a beginner course, you will enjoy the adventure much more when you go on your trip. .
Unfortunately, we can't fit that into our work schedule before we leave, but that would be ideal!
spectec

Post by spectec »

Just remember that the poles are not for keeping yoursef upright. They are for timing your turns and for feeling the terrain behind you, after you've begun your transition to parallel skiing. You don't even need them when you are first learning to ski, other than to steady yourself when you initiallly step into the bindings on the skis. It's best to learn the basics without even having the poles in your hand because they're nothing but a distraction. Also, whateve you do, hold them both in one hand, about shoulder level, when getting on & off the chair lift. Learn to ski without them from the start, and you'll pick up the sport much faster. If you'll notice, little kids always learn to ski without poles.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

The best use of the poles is moving through the lift line.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
bluemarlin08

Post by bluemarlin08 »

Take the lessons, what you learn you can bring home and continue in NC at Sugar Mtn, much better place for beginners than Gatlinburg, have a blast.
spectec

Post by spectec »

totally argree. Sugar Mtn is probably the best place to ski in NC, especially for a beginnner. It offers a significant variety of terrain for a Southeastern ski area. "Easy Street" is the best beginner/transition slope in this part of the country.
Topic Author
Lynn1987

Post by Lynn1987 »

Thanks for the tips on using the poles and also for Sugar Mtn info!
ladders11

Post by ladders11 »

curmudgeon wrote:NOT jeans.
Agree. Not just the cold wetness but also the fact that people buckle their ski boots tightly over their pants and then have the snowpants over their boots. Jeans can't really be buckled into the boots comfortably, and they aren't big enough to go over the outside.
spectec

Post by spectec »

Tucking heavy pants (such as jeans) into the boots and buckling over them also increases the likelihood that you will restrict blood flow to your feet and they get cold. Cold feet are very uncomfortable when skiing and you lose the ability to feel the connection to the skis. So if you tuck anything other than thin material such as lightweight pants or insulated underwear into your boots, remember the trade-off. Loose boots mean loss of control of the skis - too tight means cold feet.

One other item well worth mentioning would be ski helmets. You'll see lots of people skiing with toboggans or other fancy, whimsical headgear of all types. I used to do that myself. But I made the transition to a helmet years ago and am glad I did that. The first time or two it felt a little odd. But now I can say with absolute certainty I wouldn't get on a ski slope without wearing a helmet. Some people claim that ski helmets restrict their visibility, but that is just downright silly.

When you rent gear, helmets will add a little to the cost. But they are cheap insurance against severe head injury. Falling down is part of the learning experience when skiing - make sure your head & face are protected if that happens to be the first thing to contact the ground. If you are not convinced, maybe this statistic will help. Up to 80% of skiing fatalities involved people who were not wearing helmets.
ladders11

Post by ladders11 »

Last edited by ladders11 on Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spectec

Post by spectec »

Nice article, but I think the author is speaking out both sides of his mouth simultaneously. I almost laughed out loud at his assertion that "It's probably safer to use a helmet", but the really important question is whether to ski or snowboard. It's like sayinng it's probably important to wear a helmet, but the really important thing is whether to ride a Harley or a Suzuki.

Helmets protect the skier from their own falls, and furthermore from falls created by other skiers running into them. Either type of event can result in a nasty face plant or (even worse), a backward fall with the back of the head bouncing off the ground.

In any event, most anyone who spends more than an hour or so on the bunny slopes is getting very bad instruction - they need to get a trainer who knows what they are doing. Transitioning to a wide, gentle intermediate slope is cirtical to enjoying the sport and developing any usable & transferable skiing skills. Otherwise, one just wears themselves out, becomes exhuasted, increases the likelihood of getting injured, and gets in the way of the true beginners who actually need to USE the bunny slope.
Topic Author
Lynn1987

Post by Lynn1987 »

Since this post had a number of replies, I thought I would provide an update after our trip. We ended up going to Big Sky - although Bridger Bowl would have been less expensive, our time was really limited, and Big Sky was more convenient. We arrived at this beautiful area in time to take a beginner ski lesson for about 3 hours in the morning and stayed for the rest of the day practicing. The instructor was very good and my 16-yr-old son did really well. DH and I did not take it up quite as easily as he did LOL. Since we've had an unusually severe cold snap in the single digits here in TN after we got back, I've already used some of the cold-weather gear I purchased.

It was not cheap - but the laughs we shared and memories we took away as we learned and practiced together....priceless. :happy
Woodshop2300

Post by Woodshop2300 »

only advice i'd suggest is to be sure you get some good tinted goggles.
when i say "good" i don't mean quality, i mean how dark they are.
The glare off the snow on a full sun day can be really harsh, you will feel it at the end of the day and in the morning if the tints not enough.
Topic Author
Lynn1987

Post by Lynn1987 »

Woodshop2300 wrote:only advice i'd suggest is to be sure you get some good tinted goggles.
when i say "good" i don't mean quality, i mean how dark they are.
The glare off the snow on a full sun day can be really harsh, you will feel it at the end of the day and in the morning if the tints not enough.
Thank you - we've already been actually...but had regular sunglasses (mine were very cheap ones b/c I tend to lose them) - and we did talk about wishing we had goggles!