WHY is retirement enjoyable / something to look forward to?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
camptalcott

Re: WHY is retirement enjoyable / something to look forward

Post by camptalcott » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:56 pm

bb wrote:I think it is relevant to ask what % of people would continue to work / stay in their
current job if they were financially independent. My guess the percentage would
not be very high.
It would be interesting but it may not be as low as you think. For example I'm in that situation. Now part of my problem is that I'm still recovering emotionally from a lost but thanks to some smart investing from my late husband, I now have quite enough to live comfortably until the end of my days baring any thing catastrophic happening.

But what do I do? I just turned 55, most of my friends are still working so it's not like I can call them up and hang out. the person who I thought I'd be venturing into old age with is gone so I'm solo again. My kids are doing well and venturing into their own lives, no grandkids yet.

So I'm at a job I hate until I can figure out this so called "passion" everyone talks about having.
"He who dies with the most toys is still, nonetheless dead"

poker27

Post by poker27 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:16 pm

I'm 30 years from retirement, but still think about it daily.

My SO and I are going to the dominican next week, but were only staying for 4 night because of time constraints (and I hate flying).

We did a road trip this summer to South Carolina and TN. Only went for 4 night again because of work, and it would have been extremely inexpensive to extend the trip.

I also get a decent amount of time off at work (4 weeks vacation + a week sick), but its difficult to use when there are so many obligations and deadlines. I took a few days off for Christmas, wanted to do some minor things around the house. Well I got sick, and have no idea when I will do them now.

You always want what you cant have. Right now I cant retire, so I dream about it. Perhaps in 30 years when I can, I will wish to continue to work.

Confused

Post by Confused » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:38 pm

[Blanked for privacy]
Last edited by Confused on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:51 pm

You seem to define "getting very far" as being somehow related to money.
Only because of your complaining about your low pay. You brought up money, not I.
Terrible, low-paying jobs. But I did manage to work my way up to $16/hour with no benefits, after starting at $9.50/hour right out of college. Back to school from 2013-present. Maybe I can actually make some money this time.
I can't see any definition whereby you are "getting very far". You seem to hate just about everything about your life. You certainly complain pretty loudly.

I used to climb with a friend, degree in math, but worked as a night janitor so he could climb everyday. He did not particularly enjoy his job and he had little money, but overall he was a joyous person because he got to climb something like 350 days a year. He certainly did not sit around complaining loudly about his terrible job. He was getting to where he wanted to be which is a good definition of "getting pretty far". He had a good attitude. It helps one go far, however one wants to define that for themselves.

Honestly, I wish you a better future that your current present. If you are actually happy, great. It just does not sound like the case from what you write.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

john94549

Post by john94549 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:13 pm

As I am retired, I can answer quite simply: when one is retired, every day is the weekend.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:21 pm

john94549 wrote:As I am retired, I can answer quite simply: when one is retired, every day is the weekend.
But the weekend is special because it is a break from your work, can you really take a break from nothing?
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:28 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
john94549 wrote:As I am retired, I can answer quite simply: when one is retired, every day is the weekend.
But the weekend is special because it is a break from your work, can you really take a break from nothing?
You are right that a contrast between a "good" and a "bad" is important. But the main significance of weekends, vacations and, ultimately, retirement is in being in control of your time. You want to do something, and you do it. You are not at the mercy of limited time, interruptions and someone else's priorities.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Clearly_Irrational

Post by Clearly_Irrational » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:36 pm

I think a lot of people in this thread are confusing "not working" with "doing nothing" when those aren't the same things at all. Since retirement my parents tell me they're so busy they don't know how they ever had time to go to work.

invst65

Post by invst65 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:44 pm

My job sucks the life out of me.

So I look forward to that stopping.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:45 pm

Clearly_Irrational wrote:Since retirement my parents tell me they're so busy they don't know how they ever had time to go to work.
I have heard this before, but only after I have retired I started understanding this phenomenon. When you work, your job dominates your schedule. You plan your free time around the constraints imposed by your work; you don't over-plan, because your free time is regimented.

When you are retired, the external constraints are gone, and you can plan your activities to fill the available time, which is all your time. And so it's easy to over-plan, to over-commit.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

john94549

Post by john94549 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:47 pm

Folks sometimes ask me: "oh, so you're retired, what do you do?" I politely reply, "whatever I want". Behavioral economists like to carve us up into groups: (1) folks with money but no time; (2) folks with time but no money; and (3) folks with enough of both. Proud member of sub-set (3).
Last edited by john94549 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

traineeinvestor

Post by traineeinvestor » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:49 pm

I took "early" retirement in 2013 (aged 47). It was something I had been looking forward to and apprehensive about for a long time.

You don't retire from something you retire to something better.

FIREing isn't about escaping the work force. FIREing is about the things I could do if I wasn't working full time. It's knowing that, with my life being a wasting asset, I would have far more regrets late in life if I continued working than if I retired. It wasn't about leaving the working world behind (my job wasn't bad - at times it was pretty good), it was about creating space to move forward and do other things before I became physically or mentally incapable or simply ran out of time. Spending more time with my daughters was an important consideration and doing a part time MFA in creative writing is the first item on my list.

So far almost everything has gone well, the financial and non-financial planning paid off, I'm really enjoying life on the other side and I have zero regrets.

I also got a timely reminder that the unexpected can happen at any time (plans to improve my fitness were brought to a halt by a prolongued bout of placer fascitis and followed by a mycobacterial infection (NTM) in my lungs) and the difference between procrastinating ("one more year" syndrome) and doing it never is not always within our control.

gator15

Post by gator15 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:26 pm

I like my job because of the impact I'm able to have on other people's lives. Sure, my job is stressful and exhausting, but overall is been good to me over the years. Though my job is fine, I am doing what I can to expedite the option to retire as I got to experience some time off in 2008 and really loved it.

In 2008, I took a eight month break from work to pursue hobbies/interests. That time off was some of the best months of my life. It was great because I dictated how I wanted each day to go. During that time, I finished my masters degree, traveled, and trained for a marathon. When deciding to take time off, completing a marathon wasn't on my radar. I decided to pursue it later because I had the time. I can't fathom training for a marathon today as I just don't have the time with my work schedule. Though I saved a decent amount of money leading into 2008, my experiences in 2008 led me to save more aggressively as I want the option to retire sooner rather than later so I can dictate how each of my days will be spent.

avenger

Post by avenger » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:08 am

Gosh. Sad to read all of these posts about people hating their jobs so much that they can only think of retirement.

I love going to work. Although unusual in my field, I only work about 40 hours a week with plenty of paid time off, so I don't ever feel like I don't get time to myself. Also, it gives me a sense of purpose.

Saving as much as I can early in my career because I suspect the good times might not last forever (physician).
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [3 fund portfolio: VTI, VXUS, SV fund (yield 3.01%)]

westie

Post by westie » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:06 am

many people define who they are by their job ..consciously or not...... retirement then becomes scary ....if you're 60 or older, you realize how quickly the years pass by...figure on having 10 or 20 good years left and decide how you want to spend it

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:21 am

avenger wrote:Gosh. Sad to read all of these posts about people hating their jobs so much that they can only think of retirement.
The subject of this thread is "WHY is retirement enjoyable?" Many of us have retired in order to enjoy the freedom of retirement, i.e., not because we hated our jobs. I, for one, liked my job and I am even doing some related stuff in retirement without any compensation.
avenger wrote:I love going to work. Although unusual in my field, I only work about 40 hours a week with plenty of paid time off, so I don't ever feel like I don't get time to myself. Also, it gives me a sense of purpose.
You are fortunate. Most modern professional jobs require much more than 40 hours a week; and most low-paying jobs are unpleasant.
avenger wrote:Saving as much as I can early in my career because I suspect the good times might not last forever (physician).
Being financially independent gives you freedom to do as you please, to work or not to work, to work more or less, to work on things you want to work on. The sooner you reach financial independence the happier your life will be.

Best wishes,
Victoria

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:26 am

I can't wait to retire. I want the freedom.
Retirement investing is a marathon.

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:30 am

camptalcott wrote:Now one of the other reasons is simply that I've been working 38 years of my life at some type of job. I am simply tired of working. I'm tired of being on some one else's schedule, worrying about deadlines, project etc.
This. I have been employed since I was 16 years old, and I'm now 57 YO. That encompasses part time, flexible, full time etc. At this point I am simply tired of having to be somewhere doing something for someone else on a regular basis. I'm shooting for retirement at 60 which is 2.5 years from now. Cannot wait.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:59 am

avenger wrote:Gosh. Sad to read all of these posts about people hating their jobs so much that they can only think of retirement.
and I'd retort that I think its so sad to see all of these posters who have such boring, mundane lives outside of their careers that they can't imagine not having a job to go to!!! Get a life people! ;)

I don't enjoy my current job, nor past ones. I do believe that I simply do not enjoy working. I thoroughly enjoy my time away from work, and look forward to when that is 100% of my time.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:09 am

Most ordinary people have to really sacrifice present enjoyment to save for an early retirement that you may not live to enjoy. I've spent a small fortune on my passion which is travel. I've got pensions and full SS and I'm still working. I don't regret spending all of that money on travel when I had the energy to travel. If one's work is not enjoyable, why not find something a fulfilling hobby outside of your work.

Most people I know who took early retirements, either work part time or volunteer while they are still healthy. One couple on my recent cruise to Croatia took an early retirement to sail the world. They got bored after a few years and found volunteer work to provide some reason for living. Think very carefully about this dream of early retirement.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:16 am

Lynette wrote:Think very carefully about this dream of early retirement.
I do. Daily.

I can imagine a whole lifetime of things to see, places to go, new experiences to have, hobbies to learn, etc. Work is simply limiting the time available to do these things; until FI/ER.

I'm the type of person who needs a vacation after their vacation, so I don't see myself growing bored with no job. If you're [not you specifically, Lynette] the type of person who relaxes by a pool or on a beach without ever going in the water and calls that a vacation; well I guess your job may be more exciting than that, and that's all you need.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:16 am

surfstar wrote:
and I'd retort that I think its so sad to see all of these posters who have such boring, mundane lives outside of their careers that they can't imagine not having a job to go to!!! Get a life people! ;)

I don't enjoy my current job, nor past ones. I do believe that I simply do not enjoy working. I thoroughly enjoy my time away from work, and look forward to when that is 100% of my time.
I had visited all 7 continents by 40. I don't regret adding a couple of years to my worklife for that at all. On several of our trips my wife and I were about the only people under 55. Like I said glad we didn't wait there are advantages to doing some stuff when you are younger.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:21 am

TheTimeLord wrote:
surfstar wrote:

I had visited all 7 continents by 40. I don't regret adding a couple of years to my worklife for that at all. On several of our trips my wife and I were about the only people under 55. Like I said glad we didn't wait there are advantages to doing some stuff when you are younger.
Agreed :sharebeer Planning to see NZ later this year

We don't plan on Monk-like living with no trips. Travel is much preferred over new car payments and fine dining while we're young!

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:27 am

surfstar wrote:
TheTimeLord wrote:
surfstar wrote:

Agreed :sharebeer Planning to see NZ later this year

We don't plan on Monk-like living with no trips. Travel is much preferred over new car payments and fine dining while we're young!
North or South Island? Are you doing the Milford Trek? Queenstown is awesome. You will absolutely love NZ.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:47 am

surfstar wrote:
Lynette wrote:Think very carefully about this dream of early retirement.
I do. Daily.

I can imagine a whole lifetime of things to see, places to go, new experiences to have, hobbies to learn, etc. Work is simply limiting the time available to do these things; until FI/ER.

I'm the type of person who needs a vacation after their vacation, so I don't see myself growing bored with no job. If you're [not you specifically, Lynette] the type of person who relaxes by a pool or on a beach without ever going in the water and calls that a vacation; well I guess your job may be more exciting than that, and that's all you need.
:D :D You don't know me :D :D I had melanoma years ago so I avoid the 3 week Cancun-type vacation. Last year I made 9 trips. This year I'm cutting it back to 4 as I want time to learn Photoshop. Spanish, German etc. I've travelled the globe for the past 20 years. My point is that you have to really save and sacrifice present enjoyment if you are an ordinary employee. I work in IT for a corporation so you can likely guess my salary range. As I have pensions, full SS and savings, I don't have to spend all of my time watching the Stock Market as some of my friends who retire early did.

No one on this forum is going to admit that they made a mistake. Also the people here are not representative of my friends in real life who travel extensively but usually worked till full retirement age.
Some of the people on my cruise had made 40 trips with the same company and are still working - many self employed or who work part time. It does not have to be all of nothing.

I guess I need a sense of purpose and feeling that I am contributing to society. I don't think I'd be good at most type of volunteer work but I can give more to charity as I'm still working.

avenger

Post by avenger » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:08 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
surfstar wrote:

surfstar,

I don't think there is anything to "retort."

I would also agree it is sad for people not to enjoy time outside of work! As I do have a fair amount of paid time off, my partner and I go on two international vacations per year and travel within the united states about 6-8 times a year!
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [3 fund portfolio: VTI, VXUS, SV fund (yield 3.01%)]

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:13 pm

You own your time and your life.Come and go as you please.Go on a vacation or volunteer.It is the ultimate personal freedom of choice.....especially if you are fortunate enough to have enough money to do what you want.Of course if you are married this is probably not completely accurate.Even owning my own business and being my own boss am I really?I still have to service my customers so in reality they are my boss.When I retire I will only have one boss....my wife :D
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:18 pm

Avenger...You must have a whole lot of paid time off...nice job 8-)I would imagine most people would enjoy their time off work if they could go on two international trips and six to eight trips in the USA on paid vacation?You must be in either the House or Senate :D
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:32 pm

Lynette wrote:I work in IT for a corporation so you can likely guess my salary range. As I have pensions, full SS and savings, I don't have to spend all of my time watching the Stock Market as some of my friends who retire early did.
Some people who retire early have sufficient resources and foresight not to depend on the market performance. This Forum is full of such people.
Lynette wrote:No one on this forum is going to admit that they made a mistake.
People in this Forum admit to making mistakes all the time. Many of these mistakes are financial, some are marital, others are mistakes in miscellaneous areas of life.

Logically, continuing working when one has the resources to retire appears a more obvious mistake than retiring and taking control of one's life.

Victoria

chaz

Post by chaz » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:37 pm

I don't recall any mistake - but maybe in the future.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:40 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
YES!
like the old joke that goes something like this;
Wife: what are you doing today?
Husband: nothing
Wife: but you did that yesterday
Husband: I am not finished...
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:41 pm

Last edited by Lynette on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

avenger

Post by avenger » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:13 pm

hoops777 wrote:Avenger...You must have a whole lot of paid time off...nice job 8-)I would imagine most people would enjoy their time off work if they could go on two international trips and six to eight trips in the USA on paid vacation?You must be in either the House or Senate :D
Holidays, vacation. Most trips in the U.S. are long weekends though.

avenger

Post by avenger » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:15 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Logically, continuing working when one has the resources to retire appears a more obvious mistake than retiring and taking control of one's life.

Victoria
Why is this an "obvious mistake?" I know a good number of people in my profession and subspecialty who do just this.

chaz

Post by chaz » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:19 pm

avenger wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Why is this an "obvious mistake?" I know a good number of people in my profession and subspecialty who do just this.
I agree - I liked my profession so much that I didn't retire until age 74.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:28 pm

avenger wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
People in this Forum admit to making mistakes all the time. Many of these mistakes are financial, some are marital, others are mistakes in miscellaneous areas of life.

Victoria
You took my comment out of context. I reinserted Lynette's statement to which I was responding. Also, note that I wrote "more" obvious mistake, in a relative rather than absolute sense.

Details aside, pure logic indicates that when you have control of your time, you can do anything you wish, including parts of your former job that you find enjoyable. If you don't have control of your time, you do what your job requires you to do and hope that much of it is enjoyable.

Victoria

ilovedogs

Post by ilovedogs » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:37 pm

Why is retirement enjoyable/something to look forward to?

My experience very early in my career as a lawyer is I wasn't going to be paid for the things that really attracted me and the things I had to do were not enjoyable most of the time. I tried many ways to change that, but it wasn't enough.

Retired -- i.e. older and not being paid -- I do the work that I feel most alive doing. And I can.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:47 pm

Obviously circumstances differ for each person. What drives me is the need to feel I am doing something I feel contributes to society. At the moment I can work and give to charity. I don't know what I could do that would be more useful if I had more control of my time. At one stage I thought I would teach languages but it was too difficult to acquire the skills when I was still working. I will retire in a few years time - then I'll figure out a new phase of life.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:54 pm

Lynette wrote:
Philociraptor wrote:
Lynette wrote:Well you have to feed and house yourself / ves. So, if you have really wealthy parents, then you don't have to work. Otherwise marry a really wealthy spouse. Of marry a career person who wants a spouse to stay at home and look after the kids.

What exactly do you plan to do with the next 50 - 60 years of your life.
Married, not planning on having kids. Goal is to build up enough capital that it can provide the food and housing, plus some fun stuff.

No plans for after retirement yet, just doing whatever I want whenever I want.
I likely got the message from my parents that I was expected to work, work, work though I could likely afford to retire - 71, 2 pensions and full SS .. and savings. This past year, I spent a small fortune on travel. I'll likely hang on another 2 years and then retire as I cannot travel too far because I cannot be away for more than 1 week at a time and I want to go to Burma, India (again) and the Silk Road (Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan) and the ultimate dream - railroad across Siberia.

Well, hope all works out for you.
I've seen too many relatives and friends die in their 50s and 60s to think that "holding for another 2 years" at age 71 before finally retiring is a good idea. If you love to travel, you'll enjoy it so much more when you don't have to fit it in around work...

avenger

Post by avenger » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:05 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
avenger wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
You took my comment out of context. I reinserted Lynette's statement to which I was responding. Also, note that I wrote "more" obvious mistake, in a relative rather than absolute sense.

Details aside, pure logic indicates that when you have control of your time, you can do anything you wish, including parts of your former job that you find enjoyable. If you don't have control of your time, you do what your job requires you to do and hope that much of it is enjoyable.

Victoria
I see.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:12 pm

Lynette wrote:Most ordinary people have to really sacrifice present enjoyment to save for an early retirement that you may not live to enjoy. I've spent a small fortune on my passion which is travel. I've got pensions and full SS and I'm still working. I don't regret spending all of that money on travel when I had the energy to travel. If one's work is not enjoyable, why not find something a fulfilling hobby outside of your work.

Most people I know who took early retirements, either work part time or volunteer while they are still healthy. One couple on my recent cruise to Croatia took an early retirement to sail the world. They got bored after a few years and found volunteer work to provide some reason for living. Think very carefully about this dream of early retirement.
Lynette, are you a teacher? You might think differently if you only had 3 weeks off a year.

investnoob

Post by investnoob » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:14 pm

I love going to work. Although unusual in my field, I only work about 40 hours a week with plenty of paid time off, so I don't ever feel like I don't get time to myself. Also, it gives me a sense of purpose.

Saving as much as I can early in my career because I suspect the good times might not last forever (physician).
Not sure if you are lumping me in that group, but I want clarify my own post. I don't "hate" my job or the act of working. I hate the limitations it puts on my life. I would rather do other things than work or my job. For me a job/career is a necessity rather than a desire. I have whole bunch of other things I'd rather do. Things that I will most likely get to do in retirement.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:22 pm

Lynette wrote:Most of the people I know are healthy and could live for another 30-40 years after retirement. Not every one retires when they can afford to do so.
Most of the people I know who have died early appeared healthy right up until they weren't.

My wife's 'healthy" friend got cancer at 52, and died 8 months later. But she was a runner and very healthy. Until she wasn't.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:30 pm

Last edited by Lynette on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

avenger

Post by avenger » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:49 pm

HomerJ wrote:
Lynette wrote:Most of the people I know are healthy and could live for another 30-40 years after retirement. Not every one retires when they can afford to do so.
Most of the people I know who have died early appeared healthy right up until they weren't.

My wife's 'healthy" friend got cancer at 52, and died 8 months later. But she was a runner and very healthy. Until she wasn't.
This is why I think it is so important to enjoy life in the here and now. We are only promised the moment we are living in. Finding a career you like will go a long way toward that end. Dreading going to work every day for 30 years seems unbearable.

Yes, I admit we all ultimately work to live to some degree.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:03 pm

Lynette wrote:No one knows how long we will live. Stats are that we are all living longer. I have longevity in my parents. I've enjoyed the journey while working. I can earn far more money working full time than I could if I had "control of my time" to learn another skill. My passion is to travel and until recently I've been able to do this while working. Recently my job changed and its difficult to take off more than a work so I'm traveling within the US and Canada. So when I retire at 74, I'm off on a tour of the Silk Road, Mongolia, Burma, Southern India and of course Africa.

My only reason for posting is to give a different perspective on why some of us work longer.
Okay, you had a good reason not to retire before... You were making good money, enjoyed your job, and had plenty of time off so you could enjoy traveling (9 trips a year? I might keep working if I had that much time off too).

So there was no time/money dilemma for you.

But now you don't have as much time. You say you don't need the money.. So what's your reason for working until 74? Right now, your job IS limiting you... You could quit tomorrow and travel all you want now... Why wait 3 years?

You don't know anyone whose health drastically changed from 71 to 74?

chaz

Post by chaz » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:22 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
avenger wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria

Victoria
You can not do anything you wish, unless it is legal. I learned that a long time ago.

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:27 pm

a wrote:I think you can
remember that when you were in your 20s and 30s
no obstacle, be it politics, difficult subject
matter, long hours, deadlines, and so on, was
an impediment to your enthusiasm.

So what do you think is the real factor at work?
The enthusiasm was there because you wanted to "get ahead". That usually meant you wanted more pay, a better title, and respect from your peers.

People in their 40s and 50s now have all of that, and all that's left is the work. Amazingly, being successful at achieving your goals can make you feel empty and longing for something else. Never mind that 20 or 30 years of doing the same thing can wear on people.

I think this is why your 40s is usually time most people feel trapped. Trapped in a job they are growing bored/tired, etc of, and trapped with responsibilities they didn't have 20 years prior, and trapped knowing it is almost impossible to "start over" again because of those responsibilities.

The only way out is usually financial independence (IE, retiring).

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:34 pm

avenger wrote:
HomerJ wrote:Most of the people I know who have died early appeared healthy right up until they weren't.

This is why I think it is so important to enjoy life in the here and now. We are only promised the moment we are living in. Finding a career you like will go a long way toward that end. Dreading going to work every day for 30 years seems unbearable.

Yes, I admit we all ultimately work to live to some degree.
I agree that living here and now is very important.

Note that, counter-intuitively, many people retiring on their own terms have enjoyed their jobs, and many people who continue working detest their jobs. People in the first group tend to have clear ideas of what they want to achieve professionally, financially, and personally. They select their careers prudently, succeed in their jobs, make good money, save good money, and when they are ready, they move on to leisurely pursuits. These people successfully plan their lives before, during and after employment.

People in the second group are less focused, under-achieve, spend more than they make, are overtaken by their daily routines, and don't develop independent interests. These people don't plan; life just happens to them and frequently not to their liking.

The most successful ones master combining living here and now with planning for the future.

Victoria

wander

Post by wander » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:06 pm

a wrote:Many say they can't wait to reach retirement.
Yes, I can't wait to reach retirement if it happens right now, long before the date I can be qualified to receive SS.