Your Favorite Cookbook?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
gatorman

Your Favorite Cookbook?

Post by gatorman »

For a long time it's been Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Here's a link to the Amazon page for it:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ch+Cooking
Want to understand how to make a great Beef Bourguignon? This is the place to do it. If your going to buy it, I'd suggest you get the hardcover edition, you'll be using it until you start getting your meals delivered by Meals on Wheels.
I've also really liked Fifty Great Curries of India, by Camellia Panjabi,from which I and many others have derived many nights of great gastronomic pleasure. I'm addicted to Lamb Curry with Apricots. Here is a link:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... s+of+India
Currently I'm reading The Nero Wolfe Cookbook by Rex Stout, et al. I think it has the potential to join the ranks of my other favorites. I'll know as soon as my kitchen remodel is done and I can do a little cooking to try out a few of the recipes. I'm really looking forward to trying the shirred eggs some weekend. Here is a link:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... e+cookbook
I bought the '90's reissue and it was very inexpensive for such a treasure trove of good ideas.
Your favorites?
gatorman
chaz

Re: Your Favorite Cookbook?

Post by chaz »

DW gets recipes from the Food Network.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

How to cook everything by Mark Bittman

The complete Americas Test Kitchen 2001-2010

On Food and Cooking Harold McGee

Stirring it up! By Don Curto

Canyon Ranch Cooks by Scott Urhlein

The Mayo Clinic Cookbook
PugetSoundguy

Post by PugetSoundguy »

The Classic Italian Cook Book, by the late Marcella Hazan.

More recently: The Little Paris Kitchen, by Rachel Khoo.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

i like alton browns 3 volume set of receipes from his "good eats' series. which is in reruns on the cooking channel at 11pm on weekdays.

edit to add: i should mention that the cookbooks i have used the most during my life have been several of the ones by jeff smith, "the frugal gourmet".
Last edited by miles monroe on Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dewey

Post by dewey »

Biba Caggiano's "Trattoria" is a great book for Italian cooking--borrowing recipes from trattorias across Italy.

"Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home" is a regular standby for a combination of Julia Child and Jacques Pepin
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Joy of Cooking, by Irma S. Rombauer and Marion Rombauer Becker. Everything I need to know, especially how to do "basic" techniques, is clearly explained.

My copy is from 1973. The short chapter on Game includes a few diagrams and instructions on how to skin a squirrel. I used the diagrams for a ground hog.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

I have a 4 shelves of cookbooks on my bookshelf

The one I actually use the most? Joy of Cooking. It is an awesome compilation of recipes, techniques, and information about food. The latest edition which I have has most of the stuff from the classic version but a lot of new ethnic recipes from Asia, middle east and Latin America that were lacking in the earlier versions.

Second place is probably the BBQ Bible by Steven Raichlen

But frankly I find more and more recipes online these days. I'll google something like say "spinach artichoke dip" or "black bean chile" and then look at the 5 or 6 different recipes that come up, look for common or different ingredients and quantities, recipe comments, and then go from there.
trees

Post by trees »

The Herbal Kitchen: http://www.amazon.com/The-Herbal-Kitche ... 060599766/

Wonderful recipes that are (relatively) simple and use fresh ingredients and herbs. Just as importantly, it has beautiful pictures that you can browse through to get inspired, a must-have for me to make cookbooks truly useful.
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

The bread bakers apprentice by Peter Reinhardt.
Topic Author
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

I see several references to The Joy of Cooking. I think it is significant it is mentioned as a book which pays much attention to technique. Most of the good cookbooks I can think of are very strong on technique and I think the emphasis on technique is what separates the real cookbooks from the mere recipe books.
gatorman
fposte

Post by fposte »

The America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated New Best Recipe. Known fondly among my circle of friends as "The Magic Cookbook." Much more failure-proofed than most, explanatory about reasons, great results.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

gatorman wrote:Currently I'm reading The Nero Wolfe Cookbook by Rex Stout, et al. I think it has the potential to join the ranks of my other favorites. I'll know as soon as my kitchen remodel is done and I can do a little cooking to try out a few of the recipes. I'm really looking forward to trying the shirred eggs some weekend. Here is a link:
I bought the '90's reissue and it was very inexpensive for such a treasure trove of good ideas.
Please do tell us what you think of The Nero Wolfe Cookbook when you get a bit more into it!

My favorite cookbooks are Marion Cunningham's revisions of the classic Fannie Farmer's Cookbook. She did two versions, one in the '80s and another in the '90s. Both of my copies are dog-eared. Cunningham was a James Beard protégé.

Third in line for most heavily used, most bedraggled cookbook on my shelf is Joy of Cooking, the 1997 edition which I think is mostly "new" recipes, the edition that was a complete departure from the classic and led to some unhappiness from Joy of Cooking traditionalist fans.

James Beard claimed that his favorite cookbook was Mrs. Rasmussen's Book of One-Arm Cookery, one in Mary Lasswell's series of comic books about Mrs. Feeley and her financially bereft retiree friends struggling to make ends meet during World War II. I have a copy, which is delightful. The George Price illustrations are wonderful. But I hate to admit I've never tried any of the wartime penny-pinching recipes like Pastrami Rolls, a unique hors d' oeuvre that includes pastrami and cream cheese rolled up and served on potato chips. Nor have I tried any of the dishes that Mrs. Feeley claims to have eaten to survive the Irish famine. "One-Arm Cookery" refers to cooking with a beer in hand.
lululu

Post by lululu »

Fannie Merritt Farmer's Boston Cooking School Cookbook, before it was revised by others.

Eleanor Early's New England Cookbook.
metacritic

Post by metacritic »

At present here are my top five:

Judy Rodgers, Zuni Cafe Cookbook
Christine Ferber, Mes Tartes
Fred Plotkin, La Terra Fortunata
Nigel Slater, The Kitchen Diaries
Ottolenghi, Plenty

Another day I might list the Moro Cookbook, Chez Panisse Fruit, David Thompson's Thai Food, Claudia Roden's New Book of Middle Eastern Food, and Paula Wolfert's Slow Mediterranean Kitchen.
Topic Author
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

Mrs.Feeley wrote:
gatorman wrote:Currently I'm reading The Nero Wolfe Cookbook by Rex Stout, et al. I think it has the potential to join the ranks of my other favorites. I'll know as soon as my kitchen remodel is done and I can do a little cooking to try out a few of the recipes. I'm really looking forward to trying the shirred eggs some weekend. Here is a link:
Please do tell us what you think of The Nero Wolfe Cookbook when you get a bit more into it!

My favorite cookbooks are Marion Cunningham's revisions of the classic Fannie Farmer's Cookbook. She did two versions, one in the '80s and another in the '90s. Both of my copies are dog-eared. Cunningham was a James Beard protégé.

Third in line for most heavily used, most bedraggled cookbook on my shelf is Joy of Cooking, the 1997 edition which I think is mostly "new" recipes, the edition that was a complete departure from the classic and led to some unhappiness from Joy of Cooking traditionalist fans.

James Beard claimed that his favorite cookbook was Mrs. Rasmussen's Book of One-Arm Cookery, one in Mary Lasswell's series of comic books about Mrs. Feeley and her financially bereft retiree friends struggling to make ends meet during World War II. I have a copy, which is delightful. The George Price illustrations are wonderful. But I hate to admit I've never tried any of the wartime penny-pinching recipes like Pastrami Rolls, a unique hors d' oeuvre that includes pastrami and cream cheese rolled up and served on potato chips. Nor have I tried any of the dishes that Mrs. Feeley claims to have eaten to survive the Irish famine. "One-Arm Cookery" refers to cooking with a beer in hand.
Mary Lasswell, that brought back some memories. I remember reading her book Suds in Your Eye when I was just a kid. I read a few of her other novels as well. I don't remember the details, but they must have been funny because I didn't stop after the first one.

It's hard to tell whether a cookbook is any good until you actually try a few of the recipes. I will say the NW cookbook has some unusual recipes, Vitello Tonnato, a veal roast with a sauce made from tuna and anchovies caught my attention last night. I'd try it myself, but the thought of having to eat the entire 5 lb. roast if no one else liked it is a bit daunting. I think I counted 23 recipes for shad roe, not usually available at the local Publix. But if you can get past those, there are quite a few gems. His method for roasting corn looks interesting, in the husk for 40 minutes, in the "hottest possible oven" and then shucked at the table. I've read about it before online and the consensus is that "hottest possible oven" means 450-500F. Silk removal is apparently not a problem, they come off easily. There's also a recipe for spareribs with a honey based glaze that looks pretty good and one for corn cakes that incorporates minced celery. I think I feel a barbecue coming on . . .
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

My most used cookbook is Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. It lives on my counter and I plan to use it today to make pans of caramel pecan rolls for holiday gifts.

I also love Dinner: A Love Story. Great recipes for families that like good food, but don't always have a lot of time.

My kids love The Pioneer Woman, as do I, so I get a lot of recipes from her website. She's got three+ books out (her kids books are super cute) and we've checked them out from the library. Every recipe I've made is a hit (and also available on her website). When I get the books, my kids sit down and make lists of what they want me to cook.

I have Mastering the Art of French Cooking, but I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions to get me going?
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
Topic Author
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

bungalow10 wrote:

I have Mastering the Art of French Cooking, but I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions to get me going?
It depends on what you like. Probably the easiest, and, to my palate, one of the tastiest, is her Onion Soup recipe. But I'm wondering if your kids would go for it? If you are a beef eater, the Beef Bourguignon recipe can't be beat. Read it over a couple of times before you start, there are a lot of technique tips that make quite a difference. It is more complicated than the soup recipe, but very doable nonetheless. I add extra mushrooms and onions. Another great recipe, my personal favorite, is Cassoulet, the ultimate winter comfort food. It is a stew of white beans, sausage, pork and, traditionally, duck. If you don't want to use duck, chicken thighs work quite well and are economical to boot. All that said, don't neglect the desserts, many are stupendous.
gatorman
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

gatorman wrote:
bungalow10 wrote:

It depends on what you like. Probably the easiest, and, to my palate, one of the tastiest, is her Onion Soup recipe. But I'm wondering if your kids would go for it? If you are a beef eater, the Beef Bourguignon recipe can't be beat. Read it over a couple of times before you start, there are a lot of technique tips that make quite a difference. It is more complicated than the soup recipe, but very doable nonetheless. I add extra mushrooms and onions. Another great recipe, my personal favorite, is Cassoulet, the ultimate winter comfort food. It is a stew of white beans, sausage, pork and, traditionally, duck. If you don't want to use duck, chicken thighs work quite well and are economical to boot. All that said, don't neglect the desserts, many are stupendous.
gatorman
Thanks, gatorman. All of those look like they would be enjoyed by my family.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
peppers

Post by peppers »

Taste of Home, the Ultimate Soup Cookbook

If you like it "hot", check out the Hearty Chipotle Chicken Soup.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
texaspapas

Post by texaspapas »

I'm not infrequently asked how I know so much about food/cooking because I'm not a "foody" type person. The reason is the Joy of Cooking, as mentioned above. At the beginning of each food section, it has a few pages that delve into the background of the foods and their preparation. It's subtly humorous and is very broad in its coverage of different types of food, from salads to baking, and from classic "American" to ethnic cuisine. If I could have only one, it'd be this one.

The older versions get more into skinning/de-feathering, etc. while the newer versions less so. Have to pick what your interested in when buying a copy.
Deep Thoughts

Post by Deep Thoughts »

I like spicy food. :)

For Mexican Food: Jeff Bayless Authentic Mexican. A beautiful book for its drawings and discussion of Mexican food and culture. I have 6-7 cookbooks in this cuisine (including all of Diana Kennedy's) and I keep on coming back to it. It is just excellent.

For Thai Food: It Raines Fishes by Kasma Loha-unchit. I have 4 or 5 other Thai cookbooks and this one just stands out. The care in explaining technique, the WHY of Thai cooking, the ingredients and how to prepare them. Superb on so many levels.

For Cajun: Forgot about Proudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen and get something with great great recipes and a much better explication of what southern Louisiana food is really about. My favorites are The New Orleans Cookbook by Rima and Richard Collin and a close second is Patout's Lousiana Home Cooking. If you can't make a decent gumbo after reading these two books, you need to just give up. :)
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Deep Thoughts wrote:I like spicy food. :)

For Mexican Food: Jeff Bayless Authentic Mexican. A beautiful book for its drawings and discussion of Mexican food and culture. I have 6-7 cookbooks in this cuisine (including all of Diana Kennedy's) and I keep on coming back to it. It is just excellent.
It's Rick Bayless, of Chicago. He's amazing.
davebarnes

Colorado Cache

Post by davebarnes »

A nerd living in Denver
jdb

Post by jdb »

Big Green Egg Cookbook. Started me on natural charcoal grill cooking and smoking several years ago, never looked back. Now get most of my recipes for charcoal grill online but still use this cookbook as basic source. Now have more Dutch Oven pots than can use, need to start giving some away. But we hardly ever use ovens inside house anymore.
Topic Author
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

jdb wrote:Big Green Egg Cookbook. Started me on natural charcoal grill cooking and smoking several years ago, never looked back. Now get most of my recipes for charcoal grill online but still use this cookbook as basic source. Now have more Dutch Oven pots than can use, need to start giving some away. But we hardly ever use ovens inside house anymore.
I had an Egg, sold it and got a new Vision. Think I'm going to sell that and get a Primo XL.
I find a lot of good recipes here:
http://amazingribs.com/index.html
and here:
http://www.thesmokering.com/index.php
and get a lot of good ideas here:
http://www.kamadoguru.com/
gatorman
bluemarlin08

Post by bluemarlin08 »

Our church cook book from 1973. Used many of those recipes when we owned a catering firm.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

I use very few cookbooks these days, but the ones I pull are Becky Crocker which I use for the meatloaf recipe and Famous Dave's for all things good in the summer.

The Pioneer Woman puts out some good stuff and I typically pull her recipes off of the web. In fact, when I am cooking something and am not quite sure then the internet is usually my source.

Ed
wilpat

Post by wilpat »

Google is my favorite cookbook!
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

bluemarlin08 wrote:Our church cook book from 1973. Used many of those recipes when we owned a catering firm.
I use the Templeton, IA 1982 Centennial Cookbook. Some of my best and most often cooked recipes come from that book. I grew up eating those recipes.

I also like Rick Bayless, I get one of his books from our library.
Riverstwo

Post by Riverstwo »

I probably have over a hundred cookbooks as I love to cook. Although what I enjoy most is having an idea of what I want to eat and share with friends and then I search for a youtube video demonstration and watch a few videos of different chefs making the same type of meal such as pan seared tuna, and then taking subtle hints from each one and put them together. I know this is time consuming but the payoff is huge and cooking is my hobby so its lots of fun.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

Riverstwo wrote:I probably have over a hundred cookbooks as I love to cook. Although what I enjoy most is having an idea of what I want to eat and share with friends and then I search for a youtube video demonstration and watch a few videos of different chefs making the same type of meal such as pan seared tuna, and then taking subtle hints from each one and put them together. I know this is time consuming but the payoff is huge and cooking is my hobby so its lots of fun.
You have a good point - I use cookbooks and websites for inspiration. Then I find a recipe that fits my ingredients on hand, time, equipment, etc.
vveat

Post by vveat »

I have a ton of cookbooks, but the most frequently consulted ones are from American Test Kitchen - "Best Recipe", "Cooking school", "Cook's country". In a similar style I like "All About Roasting" and "All About Braising" by Molly Stevens, as well as "Rulhman's Twenty". All have scientific explanations on why things work better one way but not another.

For reading pleasure I love the "Culinaria" series.
Topic Author
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

MP173 wrote:I use very few cookbooks these days, but the ones I pull are Becky Crocker which I use for the meatloaf recipe and Famous Dave's for all things good in the summer.

The Pioneer Woman puts out some good stuff and I typically pull her recipes off of the web. In fact, when I am cooking something and am not quite sure then the internet is usually my source.

Ed
I use the Betty Crocker cookbook a good bit. I think it was the first cookbook I bought, must be at least35 years old. Lots of good reliable recipes.
gatorman
masteraleph

Post by masteraleph »

Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything and How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. They're decent for recipes, but great for getting a basic repertoire that can be modified.

Deb Perelman's Smitten Kitchen cookbook. A lot of great recipes, and her blog has a ton more. Generally doable, taste great, and not overly fussy on presentation

Someone mentioned Ottolenghi- the Jerusalem cookbook (with Sami Tamimi) and particularly Plenty More have great herbal and vegetable backgrounds that work beautifully.
CABob

Post by CABob »

Eet Smakelijk
and Better Homes and Gardens that one in the red plaid cover.
Both have been on our shelf for over 30 years.
But when looking for something new, Google is my friend.
Bob
Topic Author
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

So, I've finished looking through the Nero Wolfe Cookbook. There are probably 15-20 recipes I'd like to try. Most of the desserts look good. I'm especially interested in one just because I like the name, Blueberry Grunt. Many of the meat dishes reflect a cooking style no longer popular, lots of sauces made with butter and heavy cream, a little too rich for me. There's a few trout recipes I'd like to try and a few other fish recipes as well that look reasonably low cal. Some of the breakfast items look like they might be good, griddle cakes made with sour milk and a healthy dose of corn meal in addition to regular flour, the shirred eggs I mentioned before and Nero's scrambled eggs that take 45 minutes to cook. I'd like to try them just once to see if there's any breakfast dish on the planet worth hovering over for three quarters of an hour. Its a re-creation of the cuisine of an earlier day ('30s-'50s, even though written in the '70s), so the vegetable selection reflects a very limited palette. But despite the limitations I mentioned, it is an interesting read nonetheless because of the passages from the novels incorporated into the cookbook. Also, I bought the reissue from the '90s, which incorporates a lot of period photography from the early to mid 20th century which was not in the original edition and which adds a lot. Overall, I feel like I got full value for my $5.35 (including S&H) investment. If you are going to purchase a copy, I wouldn't recommend paying much more.
gatorman
Last edited by gatorman on Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Thank you, Gatorman, for the review of the NW book! It sounds intriguing enough to take a look.

And thank you for starting this thread! I've enjoyed reading others' cookbook recommendations, although I've had a hard time staying away from Amazon and buying all the recommended books.

Laurie Colwin in her book of recipes/essays Home Cooking offers directions for "English Scrambled Eggs (although no one else I have ever met in England has ever heard of them)" which involves 40 minutes of stirring eggs, butter and cream in a double-boiler. "The result is a cross between a scrambled egg and a savory custard, and if you happen to have about forty minutes of free time some day it is certainly worth the effort."

Colwin's book is wonderful, by the way, and I recommend it. Not only are the essays highly entertaining but the recipes are great.

Thank you too for suggestions on where to start re: Julia Child cookbooks. Several have sat on my shelf since I read her wonderful memoir My Life in France--did you know she began work on The Art of French Cooking after failing a French cooking class at Cordon Bleu? That means there is hope for all of us. :D
Pizzasteve510

Post by Pizzasteve510 »

Many good ones mentioned so far. We have so many, and so many have given great contributions to our learning.

A few I recommend, not already mentioned, for specific styles:
Gerald Hirigoyen - Basque
http://www.amazon.com/The-Basque-Kitche ... 0067574610

Paula Wolfert - Mediterranean
http://www.paula-wolfert.com

Vegitarian Cooking for Everyone (great for vegetable sides)

I have also learned a lot from The Frugal Gourmet series, especially Immigrant Ancestors and Three Great Cuisines ones.
MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor »

I'm a timid cook. If I see a list of 25 ingredients, I move on.

I love Rita Rudner's comment:
I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and say to myself, "Well, that's not going to happen!”
I love to read cookbooks and I have an online subscription to Cooks Illustrated / America's Test Kitchen, etc. But the website the I use the very most is AllRecipes. It's user submitted recipes, but what's invaluable are the comments from other cooks. They rate the recipes, then add their comments and you can sort by most useful comments. The most useful comments will tell how they modified the recipe to improve it. I got my sloppy joe recipe and my crab cake recipe from there.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I just got an immersion cooker to try some sous vide cooking. Anyone doing this, or have a fav cookbook/ web site?
Mike
Dasnyc

Post by Dasnyc »

'The Joy of Cooking' - given to me by my mom back in 1972. Beaten up, but it's always been my 'go to' guide for basic ingredient handling and cooking techniques.

'The America's Test Kitchen Complete' 2014 edition - love the commentary that provides the rationale for the recipes.
lululu

Post by lululu »

Mrs.Feeley wrote: Thank you too for suggestions on where to start re: Julia Child cookbooks. Several have sat on my shelf since I read her wonderful memoir My Life in France--did you know she began work on The Art of French Cooking after failing a French cooking class at Cordon Bleu? That means there is hope for all of us. :D
She failed the class? That's the first I've heard of that.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

lululu wrote:
Mrs.Feeley wrote: Thank you too for suggestions on where to start re: Julia Child cookbooks. Several have sat on my shelf since I read her wonderful memoir My Life in France--did you know she began work on The Art of French Cooking after failing a French cooking class at Cordon Bleu? That means there is hope for all of us. :D
She failed the class? That's the first I've heard of that.
Oh yes! The story's hysterical. You must read the book Lululu. She took the course very seriously and when she failed, well...it wasn't her fault, it wasn't fair, she should have passed, the teacher had it out for her, all the typical excuses. Immediately thereafter she set out to write the ultimate book on French cooking, the book that had never been written before. There was lots of drama along the way. Including the fight she got in with the publisher when he wanted to break the book up into hundreds of pamphlets, arguing that American housewives don't like big books. Or the carcinogenic brick brouhaha when she recommended in the second volume that readers put asbestos cement in their oven when baking bread. It's a fun read.
DFrank

Post by DFrank »

Little different answer: Cooks Illustrated. Not a cookbook, it's a magazine. They don't just throw out a recipe, they write about how they developed a recipe along with what worked and what didn't work along the way. This helps build a better understanding of the process. It's almost like a written version of Alton Brown's show. By the time you have a collection of their magazines it's almost like having a cookbook. Of course, they do make their recipes available on line (for a fee), and they sell collections of recipes from the magazine in cookbook format.
Dave
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

About 50 years ago when we were both teenagers, my brother (no fool) gave me a Betty Crocker Cooky Book. I have marked up the inside back cover with a few additional cookie recipes and consult this well-worn volume every year when I do my holiday baking. (My only concession to the season.) Other than that, I don't really use cookbooks or recipes that much.
dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny »

Joy of Cooking
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

Joy of Cooking is a must have.
We search recipes on Cooks Illustrated website then pull out that issue from the shelves.
Specialty: Il cucchiaio d'argento
Lord Krishna's Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking

Dessert: Martha Stewart has a great cupcake and a great cookie book. A friend described one as being cookie porn as one can read the articles but the pictures make you feel lust.
Pale Blue Dot
dowse

Post by dowse »

The DW has a large collection, but a favorite is "Essential Pepin" by Jacques Pepin. One of our favorite chefs. His recipes and techniques can be done by an average cook at home. We watch all his shows that currently run on the Create channel. Picked up the book on a bargain shelf at a book store for about $16 (lists for over $40).
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

My wife uses the The Looneyspoons Collection quite a bit. Good stuff.