Gift to Yourself

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ny_rn

Gift to Yourself

Post by ny_rn »

Christmas is around the corner! What are you getting yourself as a gift?

I plan to contribute ~ $400 extra to vanguard total stock market (vtsmx) held in my taxable account. This will place me at $10k invested in this fund between my Roth IRA and taxable account for the year. :beer

Let's hear it!
Austintatious

Re: Gift to Yourself

Post by Austintatious »

deleted
Last edited by Austintatious on Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
claudia

Post by claudia »

What a great gift to yourself! I wish my husband was as dedicated to our finance plan.
C
midareff

Post by midareff »

I used to gift myself on my B-Day (December 28) instead of Xmas/Hanukkah. When I was a poor worker bee it was the promise of hard work and better times. When times got better it was a little something, nothing memorable. As things got still better and I rose through the ranks it might be a decent bottle of whiskey. From about age 50 on I took pretty good care of me, in a rather un-Bogleish manner IF I had met my investment target for the year. Now coming up on age 67 in a few days, it will be a bottle of 18 year old Jameson Irish Whiskey and a $1000 donation to charity. I also do a $1K donation at my wife's B-Day in July. Operation Smile has been the recent recipient although I am considering splitting now between them and Fred Hollows Foundation.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

Nothing special although I will enjoy the time off from my workplace holiday break.
ChicagoMedStudent

Post by ChicagoMedStudent »

I'll be investing in 5 or 6 bottles of high quality Bordeaux and Jumilla wines. This is likely to be a short-term investment.

I'll also be putting more $ into FTSE All-World ex-US Small-Cap (VFSVX) and International Value Fund (VTRIX) to rebalance, since they haven't performed too well recently.
Passions are the only orators which always persuade. - François de La Rochefoucauld

Post by 123 »

I bought myself a Grace Digital Encore internet radio ($140 with Black Friday discount code direct from Grace). I love the options available with internet radio. I find I get a lot more out of separate internet radios instead of listening using a computer. This was the 4th year I bought myself a discounted internet radio on a Black Friday deal. They're all working great and I have them everywhere. I had subscribed to satellite radio up until a few years ago but I gave it up when I got into the wider variety available with internet radio, at least when I'm not driving.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Two hive structures to get ready for my newest beekeeping hobby. And if works right could be a productive hobby, hopefully later in 2015 will have honey to give to family, friends and most importantly neighbors.
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

I get an extra pay in January. I plan to slap that money onto the remaining 2k of student loan debt I have. Not even 2 years ago I had over 36k. After loan forgiveness of 17.5k for 5 years in special education at a low income school and an additional $500 each month from my lovely wife, I can almost taste it. Next up, the remaining 47k on my mortgage which will leave us absolutely debt free before the age of 35 all while utilizing two "measley" teaching salaries. I don't mean to brag and there are surely others who are better off financially than me, but with a wife, a 2 year old and another due in a couple weeks, I am damn proud of our achievements.
J295

Post by J295 »

Eight day Ignatian retreat in 2015.
http://www.ignatianspirituality.com/ign ... /retreats/
Lon

Post by Lon »

I will be getting three separate COLA's on January 1st. I will wait until then to see how to treat myself.
dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir »

Good by flip phone hello smartphone, should be here next week and some good beer/cheer.
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-
gator15

Post by gator15 »

My gift will be a steak dinner at St. Elmo's steakhouse in Indianapolis. It's on the must try list regarding restaurants.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Nothing. Same with birthday. If I happen to find something I want later, then that will be my Christmas or birthday gift. But I don't like having to choose something by any certain day.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
cfs

Post by cfs »

Satisfaction.

Satisfaction will be the gift to myself after I send/deliver all the checks/donations to those persons and organizations I care about.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
tavore

Post by tavore »

Hockey Streams account :-)
([removed) --admin LadyGeek] NHL Game Center blackouts ...
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

cfs wrote:Satisfaction.

Satisfaction will be the gift to myself after I send/deliver all the checks/donations to those persons and organizations I care about.
Good answer.
obgyn65

Post by obgyn65 »

I just bought an electric guitar to play my favorite U2 songs.
"The two most important days in someone's life are the day that they are born and the day they discover why." -John Maxwell
Drelk3

Post by Drelk3 »

Gave myself the best gift ever today. My wife and I walked into a Toys R Us today and paid off the layaway accounts of 6 people, who will receive phone calls telling them to come in and pick up their gifts, and even better, we paid off the account of a young woman who came in to pay her bill and pick up her kids Christmas presents. She was shocked. We wouldn't give her our last name and told her we only wanted to make her holiday easier. Tears were shed by all; the manager said we helped restore his faith in humanity. The feeling we had after doing this was definitely the best gift we ever gave ourselves.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

Drelk3 wrote:Gave myself the best gift ever today. My wife and I walked into a Toys R Us today and paid off the layaway accounts of 6 people, who will receive phone calls telling them to come in and pick up their gifts, and even better, we paid off the account of a young woman who came in to pay her bill and pick up her kids Christmas presents. She was shocked. We wouldn't give her our last name and told her we only wanted to make her holiday easier. Tears were shed by all; the manager said we helped restore his faith in humanity. The feeling we had after doing this was definitely the best gift we ever gave ourselves.
That's awesome! Was there an amount limit on the layaways that you paid off?
Toons

Post by Toons »

I just bought myself one of these hat clip lights,,,,fantastic little gadget :happy

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QC ... UTF8&psc=1
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Drelk3

Post by Drelk3 »

TravelforFun wrote:
Drelk3 wrote:Gave myself the best gift ever today. My wife and I walked into a Toys R Us today and paid off the layaway accounts of 6 people, who will receive phone calls telling them to come in and pick up their gifts, and even better, we paid off the account of a young woman who came in to pay her bill and pick up her kids Christmas presents. She was shocked. We wouldn't give her our last name and told her we only wanted to make her holiday easier. Tears were shed by all; the manager said we helped restore his faith in humanity. The feeling we had after doing this was definitely the best gift we ever gave ourselves.
That's awesome! Was there an amount limit on the layaways that you paid off?

We were given a list of all layaway accts minus names and randomly picked 6. Amounts were up to us.
VirginiaBob

Post by VirginiaBob »

That Lending Club IPO was a pretty good unexpected gift.

Other than that, I really don't find myself wanting that much. Have a beautiful wife and 2 newborn twins, a house, 2 cars, food on the table, good health. Buying stuff is highly overrated.
dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir »

We were picking up a quick lunch at the local Subway, parents, kids and grandma. We get to the counter to pay the bill and was told someone already paid for it, never found out who. We were grateful but I was not sure what to think at that moment, maybe we look poor, we all took hot showers that day, I don't think we looked like we came from under the bridge by the river.

I assume it was just something someone wanted to do, pay it forward kind of thing, it was a nice gesture. I have never been good about accepting gifts, so it did help in some ways.
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I picked up the Anova Precision Sous Vide Immersion Cooker. Got some 24 hr baby back ribs going right now, will see if it was worth it tomorrow.
Mike
Boonedog

Post by Boonedog »

Remington 12 Gauge Model 870 Express for Home and Bear defense.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Boonedog wrote:Remington 12 Gauge Model 870 Express for Home and Bear defense.
What kind of wimpy bear needs a shot gun to defend himself? :twisted:
bluemarlin08

Post by bluemarlin08 »

New pistol
Ged

Post by Ged »

Drelk3 wrote:Gave myself the best gift ever today. My wife and I walked into a Toys R Us today and paid off the layaway accounts of 6 people
Super idea.
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

I picked up some Silver Eagles. I like to hold shiny stuff. :D
Ldevelopment

Post by Ldevelopment »

Very good idea!
Boonedog

Post by Boonedog »

cheese_breath wrote:
The Bears are wimpy round these parts so thats why I reserve the right to Arm Bears. :D
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Boonedog wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
The Bears are wimpy round these parts so thats why I reserve the right to Arm Bears. :D
Good one. :thumbsup
bluelight

Post by bluelight »

This is a tough one as my birthday is on Christmas, so the old 2 in one gift. DH wants me to pick out some jewelry which he "buys", but I pay for when the CC bill comes in. I'm thinking more along the lines of a new bird feeder.
JDDS

Post by JDDS »

I've been eyeing a second Apple TV for the bedroom TV. I don't often watch stuff in there, but I'm tired on occasion of moving the existing unit between TVs. I especially appreciate the bedroom TV when I'm feeling under the weather.
avenger

Post by avenger »

My partner and I just booked a 16 day vacation. First to visit friends in Fort Lauderdale, then a few days of R&R in Miami, then 9 days in Buenos Aires and Mendoza! :happy
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, BND, VTEB, SV fund]
JDaniels

Post by JDaniels »

New socks. I don't need much to be happy :happy
"The poor long for riches. The rich long for heaven. But the wise desire tranquility."
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Aurora by iWinks. A lucid dream machine.