Tips for post shoulder surgery

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bluemarlin08

Tips for post shoulder surgery

Post by bluemarlin08 »

Having torn rotator surgery tomorrow. Any suggestions that made life easier during recovery?
jebmke

Re: Tips for post shoulder surgery

Post by jebmke »

I'd follow the post-surgical advice that I got from my doctor.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
CThree

Post by CThree »

Good luck on the surgery! What type of fixation will the surgeon be using? Metal, plastic or Bio composite?
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Um, we don't do medical advice here.
I also had a rotator cuff issue a few years back, followed the advice of my medical pros and am all better now...
Attempted new signature...
Topic Author
bluemarlin08

Post by bluemarlin08 »

Not looking for medical advice at all, and of course I will follow Physician advice. A friend suggested a special type of pillow helped them, looking for things that make life a little easier, I am right handed and it is my right shoulder.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Be sure you are getting enough A B6 and E.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I do recall having trouble sleeping straight through before and during the fix period. No magic, I just had to deal with the disruption...
Attempted new signature...
czeckers

Post by czeckers »

You'll want to make arrangements to sleep in a recliner or equivalent for the first few days.

Think about life with only one useable arm:
Get baggy shirts and sweatshirts that will pull over your head and arm or zip. Forget about anything with buttons.
Get shoes that slip on.

Follow instructions religiously. You can wreck the repair if you do more moving than allowed.

If no one has talked to you about a nerve block, they may discuss one with you there. Not a bad idea to do a little research ahead of time so it's not out of the blue. Google nerve block and shoulder surgery or rotator cuff repair.

Good luck.

-K
The Espresso portfolio: | | 20% US TSM, 20% Small Value, 10% US REIT, 10% Dev Int'l, 10% EM, 10% Commodities, 20% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
czeckers

Post by czeckers »

Oh, and follow instructions on what medicines to take and not take, and what they say about eating and drinking.

Don't wear contacts. Bring an eye glass case if you wear glasses.

-K
The Espresso portfolio: | | 20% US TSM, 20% Small Value, 10% US REIT, 10% Dev Int'l, 10% EM, 10% Commodities, 20% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (medical advice). See: Forum Policy
Medical Issues

Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I'd like to suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes lists of their top recommended sites in the following categories: consumer health, cancer, diabetes and heart disease. They also provide a larger, but less frequently updated, list called Top 100 List: Health Websites You Can Trust.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.