Fitbit, Vivofit, or other?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Pony Ears

Fitbit, Vivofit, or other?

Post by Pony Ears »

Whos has one? Pros and cons?

I'm looking to get one as a Christmas gift, but would like to gather some real world info.
Aptenodytes

Re: Fitbit, Vivofit, or other?

Post by Aptenodytes »

i have the Jawbone Up, a freebie from a conference. I don't think it is considered a leading choice, but I can say that I like the battery life (about a week), which seems to be its main competitive advantage.

If I were buying one, I think I'd want one that captures heart rate; the Up only covers movement and sleep. But I also don't think I'd buy one.
Walleyewhacker

Post by Walleyewhacker »

I have the least expensive FitBit, use it for measuring steps obviously. I have had it for 3 yr so I cannot complain. The battery life is about 3-4 months. They have more expensive ones that measure steps, sleep, HR etc. I have the App on my iPhone so it works out good for me. The one thing is really does is get me looking at steps, making me keep going when I don't really want to etc…… Best work out investment I have made….and I have made a few :annoyed
tp_from_ks

Post by tp_from_ks »

My spouse has the FitBit flex, seems to like it's features. I was not interested at the 3-digit price point, figured I would lose it easily. Overall I'm impressed hers has lasted almost a year.

Today I saw a fitness band from Xiaomi in China for $13, seems to do similar functions too. This story on CNET made me think if I wait a few months, it will be available here at my price point for a fitness band ... But maybe not.
http://www.cnet.com/products/xiaomi-mi-band/
incowtown

Post by incowtown »

Walleyewhacker wrote:I have the least expensive FitBit, use it for measuring steps obviously. I have had it for 3 yr so I cannot complain. The battery life is about 3-4 months. They have more expensive ones that measure steps, sleep, HR etc. I have the App on my iPhone so it works out good for me. The one thing is really does is get me looking at steps, making me keep going when I don't really want to etc…… Best work out investment I have made….and I have made a few :annoyed
Totally agree. I also have the least expensive fitbit (zip) and it's been great for helping me remember to take the long way walking out to my car after work and to park farther away from the door when I go shopping. I expect it would be even better if I had the app. (I sync it using my home computer.)

The main selling point for me was you don't wear this model on the wrist. I keep it in the watch pocket of my jeans or clip it to the waistband of my sweats.

As best I can tell, it's accurate. I personalized mine with my stride (rather than using the default) and every time I walk the 1/2 mile or 1 mile track at work it logs the correct distance.
TradingPlaces

Post by TradingPlaces »

Pony Ears wrote:Whos has one? Pros and cons?

I'm looking to get one as a Christmas gift, but would like to gather some real world info.
Read amazon reviews.
ctreada

Post by ctreada »

Look at the Microsoft Band. Seriously.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Wait for the Apple watch and see what it offers for $300-400+. It might not be worth it and you're looking at April or later. I got the FitBit Force last year and for various reasons, returned it. I considered the Mio Alpha for the heart rate monitor, but reviews were mixed.

If you got to get something now, depending on your budget and what functions you need, there may be something that meets your need, but as soon as the Apple watch comes out, half the watches out there will be gone and the remaining ones will be half the price. It's all bleeding edge technology, so expect to upgrade every 6 months to a year to keep up.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

It seems to me that current smartphones have all the functionality of a fitbit and much more, so what's the point besides perhaps size?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
jstrange1970

Post by jstrange1970 »

My wife and I both have the Fitbit flex and I wouldn't recommend it. Hers had to be replaced by the company after less than 60 days due to issues with the USB charger pins not connecting correctly. Mine still works but the battery life is abysmal, considering what it actually tracks. The tracking / logging software is nice but the device doesn't really capture that much information (nor is it terribly accurate) so is of limited value.

Honestly, the most interesting thing was being able to log how little good quality sleep I was getting and make some changes there.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

TradingPlaces wrote:

Read amazon reviews.

Yep, do that often, but wouldn't you agree that the average boglehead poster is more informed/intelligent than the average amazon poster?
Browser

Tell me about FitBit - is it worth having?

Post by Browser »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Thinking about FitBit as a gift. Has anybody used this, and what do you think? Who is it appropriate for - mostly hardcore exercise types or can regular folks interested in their health get something out of using one? What can you do with it? What's the downside of having and using one?
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
livesoft

Re: Tell me about FitBit - is it worth having?

Post by livesoft »

I don't have a fitbit. I have a phone which can do the following:
record and chart HR over time
measure resting pulse easily
count "steps" the phone takes
use GPS to show how far one runs, walks, bikes
estimate calories used for exercising
play music while one exercises
give one a gold medal icon if one meets a goal
track one's food eaten and the calories there-of
make phone calls
receive phone calls
text messaging
tells one where they are in the world and provides maps
and much more.

I read about fitbit and just was not impressed, but I have read some folks really get off to it. I guess it is not for hard-core exercise types. I know of one person who uses it to get lower health insurance premiums for his spouse. She is supposed to record steps, but he wears it for her.
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

I wanted to have something that would motivate me to walk more. It tracked everything I did such as walking and going up stairs. I would forget to walk and the device didn't remind me. I asked people in the forum how does it motivate you? The common response was they have a footstep goal and they wanted to see how close they were to their goal.

Now, I use the reminder on my phone.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
TradingPlaces

Post by TradingPlaces »

TxAg wrote:
TradingPlaces wrote:

Read amazon reviews.

Yep, do that often, but wouldn't you agree that the average boglehead poster is more informed/intelligent than the average amazon poster?
That's irrelevant, and I will tell you why:

(1) Given two products on Amazon, with similarly broad marketing reach, and equal number of reviews, and roughly the same price, would you buy the one that is rated 3.5 stars, or the other one that is rated 4.5 stars? I think this is entirely orthogonal to what bogleheaders would or could offer,

(2) At bogleheads, you would get opinions that you can validly take into account. At amazon, you get large sample set, and other type of information, that is collected for free, and available without asking questions, and having to sift through a lot of information. Furthermore, some of the best reviews on Amazon, especially by those who have used 4 or 5 devices, extensively, are far more informed than a bogleheader's opinion who has used only 1 device,

(3) you significantly underestimate the information content of amazon reviewers. While bogleheads know investing and frugal living better, amazon reviewers are far better informed as far as consumer gadgets,

(4) using Amazon and boglehead are NOT mutually exclusive, and using both can only enhance ones information,
Last edited by TradingPlaces on Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TradingPlaces

Post by TradingPlaces »

As an example, I scanned this thread, and I did not see the #1 reason for getting an activity tracker.
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

I have a vintage Xmas 2012 Fitbit. Still works like a charm. 3280 miles to date! :D

I don't use any feature except tracking the daily steps/mileage. I've checked and found the miles are pretty accurate in spite of my short legs. Not sure how they do that?
JW
Retired at Last
PatSea

Post by PatSea »

I bought a Fitbit for my wife last year. She says the major benefit is the continual motivation to walk and exercise more, and to monitor her sleep. I even wore it to bed one night to monitor my sleep.
freebeer

Post by freebeer »

For me, yes for sure (over 8.7M steps and 30K floors to date). It helps me remember to get at least 10K steps/day (& I aim for 20 floors) and on the days when I'm close to higher levels I am likely to walk an extra 1K=2K steps or climb an extra 5-10 floors to get the next "badge". And for the days when I bust it out and do a major hike/climb it's nice to get the validation (and nice to have a records of elevation gained)... current max's are > 50K steps and > 600 floors, whoopee! :happy .

I have an older model which doesn't have Bluetooth sync but I haven't been inclined to upgrade (the current one has even made it through the wash a couple of times).
Bulldawg

Post by Bulldawg »

I like to monitor physical progress as well as fiscal. The fitbit works well for my wife and I as we like to hike ; the mapmywalk app works well too.
" IN GOD WE TRUST " ( official motto of the United States )
Louis Winthorpe III

Post by Louis Winthorpe III »

I know several people who bought them and then stopped wearing them after a fairly short period of time.
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

I have one.
In addition to the fitness and sleep tracking features, it makes a handy little buzzing alarm clock.
noyopacific

Post by noyopacific »

My wife wanted one and got it for Christmas last year. I believe the model she got was the Flex. She had minor trouble with the interface but seemed to be getting it. The bigger issue was with the clasp that held the band. It was constantly popping loose and falling off. She took it to a local shop and put a retainer on the clasp to make it more secure. This helped but it eventually fell off, disappeared and she couldn't find it for several months. It finally reappeared under the seat in her car. She didn't bother to resume use and was pretty frustrated by the experience.

Several years ago, we both had Bodymedia arm band activity trackers. We liked them except that you have to pay a subscription fee to retrieve the information. I got mine wet and it died, the only solution they offered was to sell me a new one at full price so we both cancelled the subscriptions.

If I were going to get another, I'd study to the unit by Basis Health Tracker.
The information contained herein, while not guaranteed by us, has been obtained from from sources which have not in the past proved particularly reliable.
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

Your bathroom mirror is an excellent health tracker.
lululu

Post by lululu »

imgritz wrote:I wanted to have something that would motivate me to walk more.
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

I got a Fitbit to use in conjunction with our Wellness Program at work. For me its just a novelty. After I get enough points to reach Platinum status for the year (usually late March) there is no reason to continue to use it. I track enough metrics in my life without having to keep up with this one...
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

If one got one of those little scooters, that dog could pull you along.
Spudd

Post by Spudd »

I really love it and find it motivates me to walk a lot more. I have (and prefer) the Fitbit One - it slips into your pocket or you can clip it to your bra or waistband if you don't have pockets. I don't want to wear a dorky bracelet. My husband feels the same as me - he loves his and feels motivated by it (he also has the One).

On the other hand, my best friend has one and while she wears it daily, it doesn't seem to motivate her. So your mileage may vary.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Fitbit works fine,,,,we just ordered this device in link below.Read up on the device and the why the pricing info is set the way it is. :happy (not affiliated)

http://www.pivotalliving.com/#!pivotal-tracker-1/c1sre

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwgeeks/a ... d-20141027
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

My wife likes the social aspect of it. Her close friends are on there and the app has built-in competitions with your friends for most steps.
ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus »

I have the little fitbit zip attached to my keychain. It motivates me to walk more (10,000 steps a day).

My phone has step counting capabilities too, but the fitbit zip seems to motivate me more.
dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny »

I received the Fitbit Zip as a gift and used it for about a year - meaning I created a profile on the Fitbit site. It got washed in the laundry and it was ruined. Fitbit replaced it after I provided documentation. The novelty has worn off but I still keep it in my pocket because my wife gave it to me. I don't visit the site anymore.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"
hiddensee

Post by hiddensee »

I think it is mostly a distraction. Unless you are doing cardio sports at a high level you don't need anything you can't get on a regular phone as a free app, and if you are doing cardio sports at a high level, there are already GPS heart monitors out there.
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

My wife is waiting to receive her 3rd replacement Fitbit. Makes you wonder about QC issues.
saver007

Post by saver007 »

I have a question on this topic.

I have a close relative who had two heart attacks. I am thinking of getting him a wrist wearable tracker with continuous heart rate monitor.

Any recommendations? Most of these products are marketed toward healthy active people. I am not sure if there is one aimed at heart patients or most optimal for them.
magellan

Post by magellan »

DW got a Garmin vivofit several months ago and is very happy with it. She uses it all the time. We just finished a vacation in Europe and it was great to be able to track how far we walked each day as we were touring.

DW went with the vivofit over the fitbit because vivofit has an LCD Display that shows basic information on the device without needing a phone (it does sync with phone/pc if you want it to).

Also, the vivofit has a replaceable watch type battery that lasts for a year and doesn't require frequent recharging.
JLJL

Post by JLJL »

I'll sell you my flex for $25. I have all the parts in various drawers throughout my home. The little USB thingie that has to be in the computer at all times if you want Bluetooth uploading, the little Battery charging holder adapter thingie that you need to charge the battery in a USB port, the extra wrist band, the actual counter that goes inside the band. And all of this should be gathered about once every 3 or 4 days for synching, charging, analyzing, etc.

OTOH I have a free step counter from a work challenge that clips on to anything and lasts like 2,000,000 steps or more and I used it much more than the fitbit. But it makes no bar charts, I need to type the digits into a spreadsheet if I want that.

The sleep activity thing was kind of neat but I sleep great anyway so nothing learned. And the vibrating alarm is indeed neat too. But I was nervous the battery would die so I never trusted it alone and always set the phone. Plus setting a different wake time is more than annoying.

Thumbs down, sorry FitBit.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

I don't own one but the common complaint I hear from others is that they don't measure exercise done on a stationary cycle.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
aja8888

Post by aja8888 »

JLJL wrote:I'll sell you my flex for $25. I have all the parts in various drawers throughout my home. The little USB thingie that has to be in the computer at all times if you want Bluetooth uploading, the little Battery charging holder adapter thingie that you need to charge the battery in a USB port, the extra wrist band, the actual counter that goes inside the band. And all of this should be gathered about once every 3 or 4 days for synching, charging, analyzing, etc.

OTOH I have a free step counter from a work challenge that clips on to anything and lasts like 2,000,000 steps or more and I used it much more than the fitbit. But it makes no bar charts, I need to type the digits into a spreadsheet if I want that.

The sleep activity thing was kind of neat but I sleep great anyway so nothing learned. And the vibrating alarm is indeed neat too. But I was nervous the battery would die so I never trusted it alone and always set the phone. Plus setting a different wake time is more than annoying.

Thumbs down, sorry FitBit.
PM me, I'm interested in it.

Thanks.
Puakinekine

Post by Puakinekine »

I don't know if David Sedaris is a Boglehead, so in case he doesn't chime in, here is what he has to say about his Fitbit experience.
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/ ... ping-out-3
ab80

Post by ab80 »

Don't know anything about it except a couple commercials I've seen. I think it looks stupid, no offense. You can track what you eat to see your maintenance calories. You can do cardio activity to help burn off fat, and go to the gym and lift weights to get in better shape. Looks like a waste of money so people can pretend to get in shape by spending money, like those who think they need to spend hundreds on new clothes before they start going to the gym.

Pay someone $20 to write a program to email you every day telling you to get to the gym and save yourself $80.

Apps like MyFitnessPal are free. Why bother with this?
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

ab80 wrote:Pay someone $20 to write a program to email
Setup recurring meeting reminder or task in your email.
CherylHall

Post by CherylHall »

Love my Fitbit have had it for years. I see its on special for $69 for Black Friday all over.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

livesoft wrote:It seems to me that current smartphones have all the functionality of a fitbit and much more, so what's the point besides perhaps size?
Don't discount the size issue. My smartphone fills an entire pocket (and doesn't even fit into some of my pants pockets) and I have to take it out every time I sit down or its uncomfortable. I don't always remember to put it back in my pocket when I stand up.

My Withings Pulse fitness tracker is small enough to drop in my pocket or clip to my pocket and I never have to remove it all day. The most I have to remember is to take it out of my pocket each night so it doesn't have an early visit to a soapy and watery grave in the laundry.
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

Mudpuppy wrote:
livesoft wrote:It seems to me that current smartphones have all the functionality of a fitbit and much more, so what's the point besides perhaps size?
Don't discount the size issue. My smartphone fills an entire pocket (and doesn't even fit into some of my pants pockets) and I have to take it out every time I sit down or its uncomfortable. I don't always remember to put it back in my pocket when I stand up.

My Withings Pulse fitness tracker is small enough to drop in my pocket or clip to my pocket and I never have to remove it all day. The most I have to remember is to take it out of my pocket each night so it doesn't have an early visit to a soapy and watery grave in the laundry.
+1
My Fitbit lives permanently on my belt so I don't need to ever think about it...... except for air travel. It had a 3-sigma close call when I needed to put my belt through the TSA X-ray and the Fitbit ended up on the floor. A following passenger found it and somehow got it re-connected with me on the other side. Not sure how that happened but thanks again! :beer

Now I leave the thing at home when flying.
JW
Retired at Last
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

But I use my phone to call the cops whenever I am out walking the dog and get mugged by grannies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQrI0bM7To0
Can you do that with a fitbit?
skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver »

Get running shoes, start running. Take your pulse the old-fashion way.

Join the local pool. Get up early and swim with the early birds. Build up to 1,600 meters or so. Believe, your body will let you know over time when you're fit.

Also, cut out the junk food, don't smoke and drink moderately. Don't high tech navel gaze.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged browser's thread into here (Tell me about FitBit - is it worth having?). Although Vivofit was in Pony Ears's thread title, no one mentioned Vivofit. Both are looking to give a FitBit (or something else) as a gift.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Aptenodytes wrote:i have the Jawbone Up, a freebie from a conference. I don't think it is considered a leading choice, but I can say that I like the battery life (about a week), which seems to be its main competitive advantage.
Vivofit (Garmin makes them) has a battery that lasts a YEAR (no lighted display, so you can't read it in the dark).

That's huge for me... No recharging at all...
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

livesoft wrote:But I use my phone to call the cops whenever I am out walking the dog and get mugged by grannies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQrI0bM7To0
Can you do that with a fitbit?
Most run a larger risk of having one's walking style criticized by someone from the Ministry of Silly Walks while walking with their Fitbits or cell phones.... Although my stair climbing with the cell phone in my pocket is quite silly indeed, given the phone's large size and how it impacts my range of motion.