Consider freezing your credit

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
zebrafish

Consider freezing your credit

Post by zebrafish » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:23 am

Let my story be a warning to others...

I received a free credit monitoring for one credit agency as a "gift" after a megacompany leaked my personal information in a data breach several years back.

On Tuesday morning, I received an email stating that my credit report had changed. Turns out, on the prior day a person who had stolen my identity had secured a $3000 loan in my name via an online lender. They had my SS# among other info.

About 8 hours and $100 later, I have filed a police report, gotten an affadavit notarized, called all three credit agencies to put a fraud alert in place, and sent copies of the affadavit/police report to the loan company return receipt requested, etc.

Having gone through this (and it ain't over), I have frozen my credit with all three credit agencies.

If my credit had been frozen to begin with, none of this would have happened. I would strongly encourage anyone I know to freeze their credit. The hassle of a temporary thaw is much less than the huge pain incurred by someone actually using your identity to steal money in your name. If you have credit monitoring, you still need to clean up the mess when someone steals your identity.

:beer

dodecahedron

Re: Consider freezing your credit

Post by dodecahedron » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:37 am

This certainly sounds like an idea worth considering. As someone who doesn't expect to need to be applying for credit any time in the foreseeable future, I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has frozen credit. What is involved? Is there a fee for freezing? (Or thawing.) How much paperwork hassle is involved?

zebrafish

Post by zebrafish » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:50 am

In my state, it costs $10 to freeze with each agency. I believe it is $10 to unfreeze or temporarily unfreeze.

It is relatively easy to do by phone or online.

When you freeze credit, each agency issues you a PIN that you must keep in a safe place. This PIN is needed to unfreeze or temporarily unfreeze.

There is a section on the Clark Howard website about doing this with phone numbers and web links...

http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clark-h ... uide/nFbL/

Hensell5

Post by Hensell5 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:11 am

I did it years ago. I am happy I did so. But note that in some states it is free, but others charge up to $15 per credit reporting agency. Realize that there are more than 3 agencies, but those 3 are the biggest and most important. Also, if you need to temporary lift it, there is a similar fee for each agency. And of course, each agency has a different procedure. It can be very times consuming. You usually have more hoops to jump through if you request a credit report if freeze in effect at time. Even if you do not intend to take out additional credit, realize insurance companies will also run checks when you are making significant changes to your policy or comparing rates when considering to change insurers. Your agent usually does not know which agency they use or if use multiple ones so you need to lift the freeze temporarily for all 3 (so 3 fees and time spent doing all 3 different procedures).

TRC

Post by TRC » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:28 am

Thank you for the reminder and sorry to hear about your experience! I'm planning to freeze my kids credit too (ages 4 and 7).

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:40 am

I froze my credit several years ago when I got tired of all the debt collectors calling. They were looking for an individual with the same first and last name as me that lived a few miles away.

When you open a new line of credit you need to lift the freeze. For example, I applied for a new CC in September with my credit froze, knowing that it would be turned down. I then received a letter telling me that it was turned down. I called the number in the letter and found out which credit agency they used. I initiated a temporary thaw for the balance of the day from the credit bureau website. (You could pick what day you wanted the lift to expire on.) Cost me $5. I called the CC company back and said it was lifted. They checked and said you are approved and the new CC would arrive in a few days. I went back on the credit bureau website. I did not have to do this, but I ended the thaw manually rather than have it expire at the end of the day. Credit was thawed on that one website for perhaps 40 minutes.

Browser

Post by Browser » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:01 am

In the last 3 months, I've had one of my credit cards reissued twice for data breaches - one for Home Depot and another for K-Mart, and now a second card is being reissued for the same. This is becoming a regular event. The threat level just seems to be ramping to incredible proportions. For this reason, I think I'll look into freezing my credit reports immediately.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:12 am

In order to confirm your identity, some sites pull information from your credit file (e.g. the Social Security site does this to set up an account). Will one need to unfreeze the credit file in order to sign on to one of these sites? Also, do doctors/dentists access the credit file when taking new patients? Do banks/investment companies need to access your credit file to set up an account? Many insurance companies use a credit score to set yearly rates - can they do this with your credit file frozen?

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:30 am

On the credit monitoring subject. Some credit monitoring companies have a service that will help you go through the process of freezing credit, filing police reports and going through the steps of it all. I don't know how much in detail they work but there are definatly better credit monitoring comanies then others. Its all fairly cheap too.

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:36 am

rkhusky wrote:In order to confirm your identity, some sites pull information from your credit file (e.g. the Social Security site does this to set up an account). Will one need to unfreeze the credit file in order to sign on to one of these sites? Also, do doctors/dentists access the credit file when taking new patients? Do banks/investment companies need to access your credit file to set up an account? Many insurance companies use a credit score to set yearly rates - can they do this with your credit file frozen?

SS offers a means to set up the account without using your credit history but you have to go to the local office.

I leave blank the SS number entry on doctor/dentist information forms. If they ask, I tell them I prefer for them not to have it. I find it interesting that one of them came up with a number that they print on their forms that has a single digit different from what the actual number is. I suppose they got it from one of their affiliates or insurance companies.

My insurance company went to this type of scoring a few years ago and I had to give them permission or thaw (I don't remember which) to do a check. Never had to do anything about this since.

I did open a new bank savings account a month ago. I did not have to do anything regarding credit. When I logged in to the account I saw a CC issued by that bank that I no longer use also displayed. Perhaps this negated the need to access the credit info.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:54 am

I locked my credit when Target and others were getting hacked. I really have no need for credit. Here is how one does it in California: http://oag.ca.gov/idtheft/facts/freeze-your-credit
Best Wishes, | Joe

skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:57 am

To stop the fraudulent opening of a bank account, CheckSystems, a service most banks use to vet new account applications, offers credit freezing also: https://www.consumerdebit.com/consumeri ... /index.htm

Does anyone know if LifeLock offers materially better ID theft protection beyond a credit freeze?

dad2000

Post by dad2000 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:03 am

I looked into LifeLock. I think that what I do is as good or better, and I would implement most of these protections with or without Lifelock anyway:

My credit has been frozen for years. I might do a temporary lift once every few years, but it's not a huge hassle.
I have my own monitoring. My accounts are all set up to alert me to changes or unusual transactions. I spread out my free annual credit reports.
I use one-time credit card numbers for online purchases.
I request new numbers/cards from my credit card providers (we only have a few) every 2 years.
I use unique passwords per account/site.

scouter

Post by scouter » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:34 am

I froze ours years ago. It was easy and in our state, it's free to thaw and re-freeze them. I wasn't able to freeze our kids' reports as they don't actually have a report until they get their first loan or credit card.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:53 am

Carl53 wrote:I leave blank the SS number entry on doctor/dentist information forms. If they ask, I tell them I prefer for them not to have it. I find it interesting that one of them came up with a number that they print on their forms that has a single digit different from what the actual number is. I suppose they got it from one of their affiliates or insurance companies.

Have any told you that you had to pay your bill in full at the time of service, since they couldn't offer you credit?

mfswatz9

Post by mfswatz9 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:03 pm

My spouse and I froze our credit about 7 years ago. When I wanted to open a department store cc, I unfroze one agency for a few days, and then refroze it. It is mildly inconvenient, as when I wanted to open an online cd and was not able to. Because of the Patriot Act, they must check your credit. But, for the peace of mind, it is worth it.

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:16 pm

rkhusky wrote:
Carl53 wrote:I leave blank the SS number entry on doctor/dentist information forms. If they ask, I tell them I prefer for them not to have it. I find it interesting that one of them came up with a number that they print on their forms that has a single digit different from what the actual number is. I suppose they got it from one of their affiliates or insurance companies.

Have any told you that you had to pay your bill in full at the time of service, since they couldn't offer you credit?

No. They seem quite happy to bill my insurance and quite willing to accept my copay, typically a cashback cc.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:19 pm

It doesn't cost anything to freeze or temporarily unfreeze your credit if you're a victim of identity theft. You have to send in police reports to prove you're a victim. As for freezing kids' credit, I don't think you can do it because the companies aren't allowed to open credit files on someone under the age of 18. There are no files to freeze. It is a good idea to call each credit company when your kids are approaching the age of majority (around age 16 or so) to make sure someone hasn't created an identity using their social security number, etc. This will give you time to clear up any identity theft issues prior to them actually legitimately having/needing credit.

neuro84

Post by neuro84 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:43 pm

From the perspective of someone still building credit, and looking to apply for a mortgage about 4-5 years from now: If I freeze my credit, does this stop my score from improving? Currently I have 1 cc and some student loans. The cc balance is paid each month in full, and the student loans are paid diligently. I think I'm hovering in the low 600s now because of limited credit history, but hope to improve that 700ish within a few years. Would a credit freeze mean that my score stays the same despite my timely payments?

If not, I think I'll look into it. Thanks for bringing this up, OP.

bs010101

Post by bs010101 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:40 pm

Does the freeze prevent hard and soft credit pulls, or just opening new accounts?

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:39 pm

Browser wrote:In the last 3 months, I've had one of my credit cards reissued twice for data breaches - one for Home Depot and another for K-Mart, and now a second card is being reissued for the same. This is becoming a regular event. The threat level just seems to be ramping to incredible proportions. For this reason, I think I'll look into freezing my credit reports immediately.

A freeze won't help with this; it protects against someone accessing your credit report (to open a new credit line), not abuse of your existing credit lines. Stolen information from merchants isn't useful for opening new credit.

A freeze would be useful in protecting you if other information were stolen, such as a breach at your employer (online or via a rogue employee/contractor in the payroll office). Your personnel file has your name, address, SS#, salary, job title, and job history.
David Grabiner

Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:55 pm

If the crooks already know your SSN and where you live, etc., can't they also unfreeze your credit?
"Cost matters". "Stay the course". "Press on, regardless". ― John C. Bogle

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:03 pm

Sunny Sarkar wrote:If the crooks already know your SSN and where you live, etc., can't they also unfreeze your credit?

No, because there is a password needed to unfreeze. (This is also why you need to unfreeze it yourself; when you apply for credit, you give the bank your SSN, address, salary, etc., but the bank can't unfreeze the report because it doesn't know your password.)
David Grabiner

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:11 am

grabiner wrote:
Sunny Sarkar wrote:If the crooks already know your SSN and where you live, etc., can't they also unfreeze your credit?

No, because there is a password needed to unfreeze. (This is also why you need to unfreeze it yourself; when you apply for credit, you give the bank your SSN, address, salary, etc., but the bank can't unfreeze the report because it doesn't know your password.)

+1. It's not that hard to temporarily unfreeze your credit. When you are applying for a new credit line, you just ask the new creditor which credit reporting company they use. Then you go to that company's website, enter your super secret code, and tell them you want your credit unfrozen for a specific period of time (say 72 hours between x date and y date). Then you tell the new creditor that they can pull your credit during that timeframe. I think you can even tell the credit reporting company to only allow a specific creditor to pull your credit, although I've never used that feature. Your existing creditors (the creditors already identified on your credit report at the time you freeze your credit) can continue to pull your credit after the freeze takes effect. The freeze just prevents any new company from pulling your credit or adding new information to your credit file. Freezing your credit does not impact your credit score.

Louis Winthorpe III

Post by Louis Winthorpe III » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:08 am

skepticalobserver wrote:
Does anyone know if LifeLock offers materially better ID theft protection beyond a credit freeze?

Materially worse. Consumer Reports recommends freezing your credit, setting up alerts with banks and credit cards (to flag transactions you wouldn't often make) and monitoring your accounts. They do not recommend using services like Lifelock.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2010/07/protect-your-identity/index.htm

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/02/debunking-the-hype-over-id-theft/index.htm

bs010101

Post by bs010101 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:20 am

It looks like putting on a security freeze prevents you from getting a copy of your credit report or using services like Credit Karma to monitor your score. If so it seems like the freeze has to be instead of self-monitoring, not in addition. Am I understanding it correctly?

cleosdad

Post by cleosdad » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:21 am

Rupert wrote:
grabiner wrote:

+1. It's not that hard to temporarily unfreeze your credit. When you are applying for a new credit line, you just ask the new creditor which credit reporting company they use. Then you go to that company's website, enter your super secret code, and tell them you want your credit unfrozen for a specific period of time (say 72 hours between x date and y date). Then you tell the new creditor that they can pull your credit during that timeframe. I think you can even tell the credit reporting company to only allow a specific creditor to pull your credit, although I've never used that feature. Your existing creditors (the creditors already identified on your credit report at the time you freeze your credit) can continue to pull your credit after the freeze takes effect. The freeze just prevents any new company from pulling your credit or adding new information to your credit file. Freezing your credit does not impact your credit score.

It can be a little harder. Last week my wife applied for a new rewards card. Both Capitol One and Barclays insisted on checking all three bureaus. I even emailed the CEO of Capitol ONE and they would not budge. She went with Barclays and they pulled all three and it cost her $30.00.

Louis Winthorpe III

Post by Louis Winthorpe III » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:46 am

bs010101 wrote:It looks like putting on a security freeze prevents you from getting a copy of your credit report or using services like Credit Karma to monitor your score. If so it seems like the freeze has to be instead of self-monitoring, not in addition. Am I understanding it correctly?

I don't know the answer to whether a freeze prevents you from getting your own report, but if I recall correctly, the self-monitoring CR recommends is looking at the activity in your bank and credit card statements for any suspicious activity vs using a service like Credit Karma.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:55 am

Louis Winthorpe III wrote:
bs010101 wrote:It looks like putting on a security freeze prevents you from getting a copy of your credit report or using services like Credit Karma to monitor your score. If so it seems like the freeze has to be instead of self-monitoring, not in addition. Am I understanding it correctly?

I don't know the answer to whether a freeze prevents you from getting your own report, but if I recall correctly, the self-monitoring CR recommends is looking at the activity in your bank and credit card statements for any suspicious activity vs using a service like Credit Karma.

It doesn't prevent you from getting a copy of your own report. As for companies like Credit Karma, yeah, I suspect they wouldn't be able to access your report. But why would you need credit monitoring if you have frozen credit?

Edited to add: Perhaps you could sign up for Credit Karma before freezing your credit so that Credit Karma would have continued access after the freeze is in place? I still get my free credit score every month from my credit card company even though my credit is frozen. But I had the credit card before freezing my credit.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:11 pm

dad2000 wrote:I use one-time credit card numbers for online purchases.

Where do you get these?

sjb19

Post by sjb19 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:24 pm

If you set up credit karma before freezing your files it will continue to update and work after a freeze. That is what I did.

blevine

Post by blevine » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:08 pm

Browser wrote:In the last 3 months, I've had one of my credit cards reissued twice for data breaches - one for Home Depot and another for K-Mart, and now a second card is being reissued for the same. This is becoming a regular event. The threat level just seems to be ramping to incredible proportions. For this reason, I think I'll look into freezing my credit reports immediately.

Freeze does not prevent thieves from stealing/using your credit card #, has nothing to do with that.
It prevents them from opening new accounts in your name, credit card or other debt.

Reissue of a new card after unauthorized charges on an existing card is inconvenient, but not nearly what
the OP experienced, which is the creation of new unauthorized accounts.

blevine

Post by blevine » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:10 pm

Regarding ability to get your credit report, yes you can.
I had a credit monitoring service, but canceled it, since the freeze effectively prevents it from changing.
I look at my free annual report. Sometimes with a freeze you need to jump through more hoops to
get your credit report, but you can get it. Those hoops make it hard for lenders too, and that's the goal !

blevine

Post by blevine » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:13 pm

neuro84 wrote:From the perspective of someone still building credit, and looking to apply for a mortgage about 4-5 years from now: If I freeze my credit, does this stop my score from improving? Currently I have 1 cc and some student loans. The cc balance is paid each month in full, and the student loans are paid diligently. I think I'm hovering in the low 600s now because of limited credit history, but hope to improve that 700ish within a few years. Would a credit freeze mean that my score stays the same despite my timely payments?

If not, I think I'll look into it. Thanks for bringing this up, OP.

No impact. Your existing cards and loans will report your payment status and build your credit history.
What is frozen is access to view this status for the purpose of making new loans/accounts, updating the contents continues.

imbogled

Post by imbogled » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:39 pm

Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. | Warren Buffett

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:55 pm

HomerJ wrote:
dad2000 wrote:I use one-time credit card numbers for online purchases.

Where do you get these?

Citibank has "Virtual Account Numbers" and Bank of America has "ShopSafe". You need to have credit cards from them to use the "virtual" option.

Boglemama

Post by Boglemama » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:48 pm

I froze hubby and my credit 4 years ago. I had to unfreeze it last year when we refinanced, and it's not difficult at all. Maybe took me 20 minutes. I did it all online and used our passwords. I asked the lender when they would be pulling the report and unfroze it for that day. Our state offers the ability to freeze/unfreeze your credit for free. The 20 minutes that it took was nothing compared to the peace of mind that no one can open new accounts under our name without our knowing, and also the amount of time that it would take if we were victims of someone fraudulently opening a new account. A friend was a victim of identity theft years ago and is still cleaning up the pieces.

Browser

Post by Browser » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:36 am

Just put a freeze on the three credit reporting agencies online. Took 30-45 minutes and not difficult to do. I'm concerned about fraud ramping up during the Holiday season, and the frequent credit card breaches that have been occuring to me, so finally motivated to take this step. Feeling better already.

mchop

Post by mchop » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:52 am

This is great information.

I googled WA state :

http://atg.wa.gov/freeze.aspx#.VGtqhfTF-YY

It is possible to establish a credit freeze or a "fraud alert"

"A fraud alert is a less restrictive option and may help prevent fraud. An alert does not block potential new credit, but places a comment on your history. Creditors should contact you prior to opening a new account."

rixer

Post by rixer » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:53 am

The wife has her own credit as do I. Would we both have to freeze our credit separately or would freezing it cover both of us?

Browser

Post by Browser » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:54 am

My state is Arizona - $5 each to activate the credit freeze. No big woop to do that at all, so why mess around with a "fraud alert." I'd rather prevent the fraud rather than be alerted after-the-fact.

placeholder

Post by placeholder » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:18 am

Browser wrote:I'm concerned about fraud ramping up during the Holiday season, and the frequent credit card breaches that have been occuring to me, so finally motivated to take this step.

As has been pointed out freezing credit does nothing about security breaches or protect existing cards or accounts in any fashion.

Browser

Post by Browser » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:50 am

placeholder wrote:
Browser wrote:I'm concerned about fraud ramping up during the Holiday season, and the frequent credit card breaches that have been occuring to me, so finally motivated to take this step.

As has been pointed out freezing credit does nothing about security breaches or protect existing cards or accounts in any fashion.

Yeh, duh. What I'm concerned about is that those credit card security breaches aren't totally unrelated to breaches of your personal information, such as social security numbers and so forth. The hackers are getting better and better at getting this information. What really sells on the black market these days are "identity theft packages" that include card numbers, addresses, phone numbers, and social security numbers. I'm a little concerned about credit card fraud since the card companies are supposed to reimburse you for that, but I'm a lot concerned about identity theft.

Soaker

Post by Soaker » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:54 am

rkhusky wrote:In order to confirm your identity, some sites pull information from your credit file (e.g. the Social Security site does this to set up an account). Will one need to unfreeze the credit file in order to sign on to one of these sites?

This came up a couple days ago when I was signing up for 2015 health insurance on Healthcare.gov. After entering my personal information I got the message that "we are unable to confirm your identity; please call Experian at (some 800 number)". I answered a few of the standard personal questions, e.g. "Which of the following streets did you live on within the last 10 years?", the person stated that my identity was confirmed and a few minutes later I was able to resume the enrollment process. No lift of the security freeze was required.

skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:11 pm

For those "belts and suspenders" types, Chexsystems, offers a security freeze: https://www.consumerdebit.com/consumeri ... /index.htm

As you probably know, many banks use ChexSystems to vet new account applications. A security freeze would (hopefully) prevent an attempt to open a fraudulent account.

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:38 pm

rixer wrote:The wife has her own credit as do I. Would we both have to freeze our credit separately or would freezing it cover both of us?

Your reports are individual and you would both have to separately freeze them.

41Fin

Post by 41Fin » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:54 pm

skepticalobserver wrote:
Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:11 pm
For those "belts and suspenders" types, Chexsystems, offers a security freeze: https://www.consumerdebit.com/consumeri ... /index.htm

As you probably know, many banks use ChexSystems to vet new account applications. A security freeze would (hopefully) prevent an attempt to open a fraudulent account.
Done.

Thanks for the heads up.

musicDax

Post by musicDax » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:37 pm

Very interesting about chexSystems, so what do people thing about putting a freeze with them on top off the freeze with teh 3 main bureus (transunion, equifax and experian) ??

I'm definitely putting the freeze on the 3 bureaus but am uncertain, don't know enough if doing it as well for chex is worth it / necessary.

watchnerd

Post by watchnerd » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:48 pm

Just froze my Equifax credit.

Experian asked for a fee, but then said it couldn't process it (???). TU wants me to create a whole credit management account...bleh.

Definitely want to freeze them all as I don't expect to ever use credit in the future.
Tweaked 3-Fund: 35% US Equities | 35% Total International | 30% Intermediate Treasuries

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:00 pm

musicDax wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:37 pm
Very interesting about chexSystems, so what do people thing about putting a freeze with them on top off the freeze with teh 3 main bureus (transunion, equifax and experian) ??

I'm definitely putting the freeze on the 3 bureaus but am uncertain, don't know enough if doing it as well for chex is worth it / necessary.
If you freeze Chex Systems then the bad guys can't open a bank account under your name. Anyway it's free, they don't charge a fee to freeze, unlike the big three. With this latest breach I want the best protection I can get. I froze them.