Your car(s) are equal to how many months income

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

The car(s) you drive represents how many months income ?

lump family cars and incomes together. Gross income and current value of car. e.g. Our cars are worth less than one month' gross income
24%
17%
25%
15%
9%
4%
2%
0%
7+
4%

Total votes: 294

Topic Author
Professor Emeritus

Your car(s) are equal to how many months income

Post by Professor Emeritus »

lump family cars and incomes together. Gross income and current value of car. e.g. Our cars are worth less than one month' gross income
Aptenodytes

Re: Your car(s) are equal to how many months income

Post by Aptenodytes »

The tails aren't quite right. Left tail should be 0 and right should be 8+.

I answered but am not sure why.
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

We just replaced an 18 year old car with a new to us car. Now if you had asked last week ....
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
market timer

Post by market timer »

Undefined, $0 / $0
bcjb

Post by bcjb »

Right now, it's less than one month. When we bought it (paid cash), closer to 3.
Topic Author
Professor Emeritus

market timer wrote:Undefined, $0 / $0
No that would be one month's income. 0=0 its not 0/0
Topic Author
Professor Emeritus

Aptenodytes wrote:The tails aren't quite right. Left tail should be 0 and right should be 8+.

The first answer is < 1 month which includes 0 and the last answer is 7+ i.e. > 7 which includes 8+
Topic Author
Professor Emeritus

No that would be one month's income. 0=0 it's not 0/0

:happy I had a car and income like that myself once :happy
Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes »

Professor Emeritus wrote:

In my mathematics I was taught that market timer is right -- 0/0 is undefined.

However, I find it hard to understand how a car can be worth $0. Every car has some value, even for scrap. Maybe market timer has no car, but that isn't the same as having a car worth $0.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I only put on 3000 miles per year so my 45,000+ miles are on a 14 year old car. Less than 1 month.
Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes »

Aptenodytes wrote:The tails aren't quite right. Left tail should be 0 and right should be 8+.

The first answer is < 1 month which includes 0 and the last answer is 7+ i.e. > 7 which includes 8+
Yes, but the problem isn't that the tails don't go far enough away from the middle, it is that they veer to close to the middle. In other words, the problem isn't that >7 doesn't include 8+; it does. The problem is that >7 also includes 7. E.g. if I do my math and I end up with 7.1, then that corresponds to 7 but it also corresponds to >7.

No big deal -- people will figure it out.
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

I almost said 1 month, and then I realized that if I look at my gross income, it is worth less than 1 months income. I've never broken 2 months worth of income.
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

I voted for 3 months
kramer

Post by kramer »

I drive a scooter so I disqualified myself :shock: But even a brand new one is much less than one month's spending. It's a nice feeling :)
Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter »

Wow. I feel like a spendthrift compared to you guys. :D

My 2 vehicles add up to 4.9 months.

2010 Corolla with 78,000 miles and a 2011 Chevrolet 4WD Extended Cab Work truck with 21,000 miles.

The good news, according to KBB is that the work truck is still worth nearly what I paid for it new. (I practically stole it from the dealership. :twisted: )

We are fairly early in our vehicle cycle though. I will keep both vehicles until I get to at least 200,000 miles or we have another opportunity to steal new vehicles from dealerships when I have cash in hand.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

If the answers matter at all the more telling question would be how much did your vehicles cost when you bought them?
22twain

Post by 22twain »

Assuming by "income" you mean things like salary, Social Security and pension, but not investment income:

A few years ago, before we started a transition to full retirement and were driving two 10+ year old cars, I would have answered 1 month.

In the meantime, our salaries have dropped and we bought two new cars last year, so now it's 7-8 months.
Help save endangered words! When you write "princiPLE", make sure you don't really mean "princiPAL"!
Topic Author
Professor Emeritus

Aptenodytes wrote:

In my mathematics I was taught that market timer is right -- 0/0 is undefined.

However, I find it hard to understand how a car can be worth $0. Every car has some value, even for scrap. Maybe market timer has no car, but that isn't the same as having a car worth $0.
I agree that 0/0 is undefined. But that was not the question it asks for "equals" 0=0 is defined.

I had a car I had to pay to have towed away 0 would have been a stretch
Topic Author
Professor Emeritus

Aptenodytes wrote:

Yes, but the problem isn't that the tails don't go far enough away from the middle, it is that they veer to close to the middle. In other words, the problem isn't that >7 doesn't include 8+; it does. The problem is that >7 also includes 7. E.g. if I do my math and I end up with 7.1, then that corresponds to 7 but it also corresponds to >7.

No big deal -- people will figure it out.
> 7 does not include 7. that is why I put in both 7 and >7 in particular 7.1 > 7
Topic Author
Professor Emeritus

letsgobobby wrote:If the answers matter at all the more telling question would be how much did your vehicles cost when you bought them?
not helpful if you want to sum the data. Everyone's current value will include people at all life cycle is in the car owning process
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger »

Using edmunds.com, total car value ~$30k. Total montly income ~$12k, so less than three months income but more than two.

2012 Volvo (bought used) and 2008 Honda (bought new).
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

2005 Ford and 2008 Hyundai. Both have about 120k miles. Combined value is about 60% of monthly gross. Car values are low, income is not high.

I'm not sure what one would do with this data.
Topic Author
Professor Emeritus

Kosmo wrote:
My hypothesis is that on the two 'big ticket consumption items" for most people (houses and cars) , that bogleheads will prove to be very thrifty consumers. The values are useful proxies for consumption costs in groups.
DFrank

Post by DFrank »

I calculated just over 2.5 months for us, voted for 3 months.
Dave
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Kosmo wrote:
My hypothesis is that on the two 'big ticket consumption items" for most people (houses and cars) , that bogleheads will prove to be very thrifty consumers. The values are useful proxies for consumption costs in groups.
You just contradicted yourself upthread. This says nothing about consumption, but a lot about ownership. My suggested question about cost of car at the time it was purchased addresses the consuming process.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

Bogleheads are cheap when it comes to cars, clothes, and watches.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

One, but I was recently solicited to purchase a 70K car to which I kindly said no thanks. My credit rating must be improving, I've never received such a solicitation before or maybe the car manufacturer is just getting desperate to offload those vehicles?
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I am dumbfounded by this question, and that does not happen to me often. I have a 17-year old Honda Civic. Every once in a while it gets mechanical problems that make me think, "This is it. It's time to get a new car." But before I do, I ask some questions, and people in this Forum and outside the Forum tell me how to fix the problem inexpensively. I fix problems, the Civic gets back to running, and I shelf the decision to dispose of it until the next mechanical problem.

I am assuming that the price I'd get for the Civic is close to zero. However, for me, it's value is rather large, because it's a stand-in for a new car. The disparity between the price and the value is huge.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Drew31

Post by Drew31 »

Based on responses, I see a new rule of thumb being created.... Never buy a car more than 3x's your gross monthly income.
DFrank

Post by DFrank »

Drew31 wrote:Based on responses, I see a new rule of thumb being created.... Never buy a car more than 3x's your gross monthly income.
Except as noted above the statistic might look very different if asked about value at purchase as opposed to current value. The average age of our fleet of 3 vehicles is approaching 9 years old. We don't shy away from buying vehicles that are more expensive than average, but we tend to keep them for a relatively long time (Although in general not as long as Victoria :wink: ).

We have a 15 year old pickup truck that still carries a value of ~$10k. It's a very popular model with a diesel engine, and has very low mileage for it's age since it's not driven daily. At purchase it was 4X that amount, and our income was quite a bit less than today. I plan to keep that truck for as long as we can get parts for it and maintain it, which conceivably could be a very, very long time.
Last edited by DFrank on Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

When we bought them, about three months. Now (2yrs later), based on slight increases in income and decreased value of vehicles, a little less than two months. With my wife's job change, we are trying to figure out if we can go down to one car and may sell the other to my sister; that would leave us at about a month.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

Now if I had included the 9 bikes in my garage the calculation would have been a bit different!
femur

Post by femur »

Mine is about 1/2 of one month.
Drew31

Post by Drew31 »

DFrank wrote:
Drew31 wrote:Based on responses, I see a new rule of thumb being created.... Never buy a car more than 3x's your gross monthly income.
Except as noted above the statistic might look very different if asked about value at purchase as opposed to current value. The average age of our fleet of 3 vehicles is approaching 9 years old. We don't shy away from buying vehicles that are more expensive than average, but we tend to keep them for a relatively long time (Although in general not as long as Victoria :wink: ).

We have a 15 year old pickup truck that still carries a value of ~$10k. It's a very popular model with a diesel engine, and has very low mileage for it's age since it's not driven daily. At purchase it was 4X that amount, and our income was quite a bit less than today.
Blast... just ruined all the fun.
anonforthis

Post by anonforthis »

This topic hurts because we spent too much on cars 50% of our annual income but we paid cash for them.
hexagon

Post by hexagon »

No that would be one month's income. 0=0 its not 0/0

My math says 0=3*0, so it is 3 months income.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

8.2667 months

Includes a car my mom drives, one my son drives, wife's 13 subaru, my 14 wrangler and my 07 lotus elise.

All paid for with cash, as is my son's college tuition
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
akblizzard

Post by akblizzard »

I consider the Harley as recreation instead of a vehicle so didn't include it...turning money into fuel and fuel into noise since 1975
czeckers

Post by czeckers »

Bought a 2-year old Subaru for less than 1 mo income.

Did buy a new van for the family at 2x monthly income.

-K
The Espresso portfolio: | | 20% US TSM, 20% Small Value, 10% US REIT, 10% Dev Int'l, 10% EM, 10% Commodities, 20% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

DFrank wrote:I calculated just over 2.5 months for us, voted for 3 months.
My calculation came to the same result and I voted 2 months, so we average out just fine.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

If I buy a beater every 3 months, I'll have a much better ratio than if I buy a brand new car and drive it for 20 years. But the latter will be better for my bottom line.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

I would guess my car is worth about $5k if I had to sell it, so less than one month's income. It's worth a lot more than that to me, though, because it prevents my having to buy a more expensive car. :)
backpacker

Post by backpacker »

We don't own a car and bike everywhere. It's grand!

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I have two vehicles, both purchased new, for $20k in 2004 and for $25k in 2009.
So I used $45k in the numerator to get my ratio as high as possible...
Attempted new signature...
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

greg24 wrote:If I buy a beater every 3 months, I'll have a much better ratio than if I buy a brand new car and drive it for 20 years. But the latter will be better for my bottom line.
If you bought and sold a beater every 3 months the cost would be directly proportional to the state taxes/fees for a car. So, a real beater goes for ~$1k, and within 3 months you should be able to sell it for the same price you bought it. In NY, that would run you 4 * (8% * $1000 * + $25 + $50 + $20) = $700/year (that is sales tax, plates, title, and inspection). You get a refund on the registration fee so that is no more expensive than buying a new car (its based on weight). Maintenance would essentially be $0 so long as every car you buy will pass a state inspection.

So, I'd argue that your beater strategy would actually be pretty effective (but not optimal) at keeping car costs down ($14000 for 20 years ignoring inflation), but would be very labor intensive.
Topic Author
Professor Emeritus

letsgobobby wrote:
Kosmo wrote:
You just contradicted yourself upthread. This says nothing about consumption, but a lot about ownership. My suggested question about cost of car at the time it was purchased addresses the consuming process.
No. durable goods are "consumed" over time. Consumption of a car can take 10 or 15 years. The value of a car at any time tells you how much wealth is going into car consumption at that moment. I agree that driving costs additional sums.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

letsgobobby wrote:
Kosmo wrote:
DFrank wrote:

We have a 15 year old pickup truck that still carries a value of ~$10k. It's a very popular model with a diesel engine, and has very low mileage for it's age since it's not driven daily. At purchase it was 4X that amount, and our income was quite a bit less than today. I plan to keep that truck for as long as we can get parts for it and maintain it, which conceivably could be a very, very long time.
I agree with these sentiments. In my family, our cars at age of disposal were:
- 13 years (bought at 5 years)
- 11 years (bought at 3 years)
- 10 years (bought new)
- 9 years (bought at 3 years)
- 8 years and counting (bought new and still going)
- 4 years and counting (bought at 2 years and still going)

The question of the car's value compared to our monthly income will vary greatly depending on when you ask us. Disregarding the fact that income could vary greatly, a car's value to another buyer (or scrap heap) will vary greatly until it reaches an outlier age where the value is close to zero.

I abstained from answering b/c the more valuable answer IMO would be what's the annualized cost of the car on average for Bogleheads. That way, we take into account purchase price, selling price, and years of ownership. Then compare that annualized cost to monthly income.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Annualized cost is hard to compute except in retrospect, that's why...
Attempted new signature...
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

The Wizard wrote:Annualized cost is hard to compute except in retrospect, that's why...
True, but may provide more of an insight of any trends. There will be flaws there too when you consider cars there were stolen or lost in accidents.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Some people buy brand new cars and keep it for more than a decade. Some keep it till car dies. Some always buy used. Some lease. Its not effective to read anything based on the pole results.
IMO something like average vehicle cost/year to average gross income/month over last 10 year pole is more effective.

The way I see, $$ paid to buy and $$ got at sell matters. Whats the point of checking your current vehicle's value if you are not going to sale it now?