Reliable mid size car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
frugalhen

Reliable mid size car

Post by frugalhen » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:57 pm

I have a 2 year old accord and must say I am not thrilled by it. I was wondering if the bogleheads could recommend a mid size car they have found to be very reliable.

Cars I am considering:

Camry
Nissan maxima
Buick regal (don't laugh, I really like it)

Any suggestions of a 2-3 year old car you have been happy with?
"get out and live, you are dead an awfully long time" - Jimmy Demaret

livesoft

Re: Reliable mid size car

Post by livesoft » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:57 pm

Lexus RX350
Have owned a Camry and a Maxima in the past. They were nice cars when I owned them.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:01 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (car).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:17 pm

You don't say, but imply, that your Accord has been unreliable - assuming "thrilled" refers to reliability and not driving experience. Exactly what experiences have left you so dissatisfied with your (2012? 2013?) Accord that you're ready to send it to the crusher after two years?

frugalhen

Post by frugalhen » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:22 pm

tibbitts wrote:You don't say, but imply, that your Accord has been unreliable - assuming "thrilled" refers to reliability and not driving experience. Exactly what experiences have left you so dissatisfied with your (2012? 2013?) Accord that you're ready to send it to the crusher after two years?

A knocking engine the dealer says is noisy but "within specs". The whining tranmission these are noted for and the road noise. I take meticulous care of my cars and despite this, my prior Honda blew a rod and had piston slap, which Honda thinks is normal. I have owned a lot of Hondas over the last 25 years but think their quality has slipped and styling has become booooooring.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:28 pm

Uh-oh, if you don't want boring, then you don't want a Lexus. Here is a review of boring: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-3 ... overs.html
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:21 pm

Check out Subaru Legacy. Same league as camry and, accord but the interior quality is superior imo. The AWD and handling makes it fun to drive.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:44 am

Toyota / Lexus would be your best bet. They have proven reliability. I am thoroughly disgusted with my Ford and will likely purchase a Toyota as my next vehicle.
Use CarComplaints website to review the year model you are interested in before pulling the trigger.

I fell in love with the new Camaro but decided against one after learning it has too many maintenance issues for my liking.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:22 am

Current generation Prius . Yes, it's a mid-size. We have a 2011 and couldn't be happier with it.

frugalhen

Post by frugalhen » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:14 am

StevieG72 wrote:Toyota / Lexus would be your best bet. They have proven reliability. I am thoroughly disgusted with my Ford and will likely purchase a Toyota as my next vehicle.
Use CarComplaints website to review the year model you are interested in before pulling the trigger.

I fell in love with the new Camaro but decided against one after learning it has too many maintenance issues for my liking.

Can you elaborate on why you are unhappy with the ford.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:37 am

I am a long time Camry owner. My most recent purchase was a 2014 Camry Hybrid. There is nothing terribly wrong with it but the ride, handling and road noise are much worse than my 2004 Camry, which even at its age and mileage, is a better ride than my new Camry. Also, the new Camry is notably smaller than the older one, and it has a tiny trunk (due to hybrid battery). The driver's seat sits lower, which makes it hard to see well for clearance when parking or in tight cornering. Of course 42mpg around down driving is hard to beat. Overall, there has to better choices in that range of cars but I do not know which ones it would be. I have always considered Camry and Accord the top of the food chain. Maybe not anymore.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:07 am

>Any suggestions of a 2-3 year old car you have been happy with?

If you are thinking of buying a used car...you are unlikely to find a Camry at a useful discount with respect to new.

If you are asking if you will like the car after 2-3 years...I was more happy with a Camry than a Civic.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:51 am

Piston slap at startup seems to be popular with many engines today; two out of my last three vehicles have had piston slap, a 4 cyl and 8 cyl from different manufactures. One of them was well known for the problem; the other one not at all. That despite using recommended weight oil and OEM filters. Piston slap that continues after the first minute or so after a cold start would be less common.

I don't know anything about the honda transmission whine, but road noise might be able to be improved somewhat by changing tires, although that didn't work for me with one of two current cars. Changing tire manufacturers and, to some extent, tread pattern, had zero effect (that I could tell) on road noise.

Have you asked a dealer how much they would pay for your car?

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:20 am

Based on how the snow was this morning we are considering a new Legacy or Impreza for the wife. Not sure where you live but the AWD is a big plus in snowy weather.

x35864

Post by x35864 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:14 pm

What size interior are you looking for? I had a Honda Civic and now have a Honda Fit. The Fit is smaller but has an equivalent "feeling" of size. In fact, when I lay the seats down, it's got a ton of carrying capacity and feels larger.

Last time I checked, Honda Fit was considered by Consumer Reports to be among the most economical cars factoring in purchase cost, insurance, depreciation, mileage, etc.

Simbilis

Post by Simbilis » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:53 am

harrychan wrote:Check out Subaru Legacy. Same league as camry and, accord but the interior quality is superior imo. The AWD and handling makes it fun to drive.
Second the motion. My 2011 Legacy (purchased at a decent discount from a RI dealer via Consume Reports) handles well in the snow and has required no unusual maintenance. Well, except that the rear break pads wear a little faster than the front. Strange but not a real problem.

UplandMike

Post by UplandMike » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:24 am

Maybe check out the Sonata? it seems the Koreans are making cars now how the Japanese used to. While the prices have certainly inflated, the value still seems to be there.

Browser

Post by Browser » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:40 am

frugalhen wrote:
tibbitts wrote:You don't say, but imply, that your Accord has been unreliable - assuming "thrilled" refers to reliability and not driving experience. Exactly what experiences have left you so dissatisfied with your (2012? 2013?) Accord that you're ready to send it to the crusher after two years?

A knocking engine the dealer says is noisy but "within specs". The whining tranmission these are noted for and the road noise. I take meticulous care of my cars and despite this, my prior Honda blew a rod and had piston slap, which Honda thinks is normal. I have owned a lot of Hondas over the last 25 years but think their quality has slipped and styling has become booooooring.
You didn't say, but does your Accord have the V-6 engine? Reason being that this engine has been criticized for the VCM (variable cylinder management) technology that shuts down some cylinders at cruising speed. Can cause some noise and vibration. Also, I think they've gone to a CVT transmission in some Hondas - does your have that? CVTs can be whiney. Road noise and stiff ride has always been a problem with Hondas and even the upscale Acura brand. The more recent Accord hasn't fared well in Consumer Reports ratings, so you are right that the quality seems to have slipped. I've owned two in the past and they were fine vehicles, and now own a 2002 CRV which has been a great car. But I wouldn't buy the Accord now, especially the V-6.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

TFinator

Post by TFinator » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:45 am

x35864 wrote:What size interior are you looking for? I had a Honda Civic and now have a Honda Fit. The Fit is smaller but has an equivalent "feeling" of size. In fact, when I lay the seats down, it's got a ton of carrying capacity and feels larger.

Last time I checked, Honda Fit was considered by Consumer Reports to be among the most economical cars factoring in purchase cost, insurance, depreciation, mileage, etc.
But for road noise and ride quality fit is considerably below civic, and nowhere close to a mid-size car. (Camry, for instance)

wander

Post by wander » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:32 am

dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:39 am

UplandMike wrote:Maybe check out the Sonata? it seems the Koreans are making cars now how the Japanese used to. While the prices have certainly inflated, the value still seems to be there.

The Sonata's cousin Optima made by KIA is fun little car to drive. I test drove a pile of midsize cars one day and the Optima was a decent driving experience compared to the others.

In the end I decided to keep my smaller current KIA and drive it into the ground, the Optima will be high on my list next time around however.
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-

FullYellowJacket

Post by FullYellowJacket » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:03 am

DW and I have really been enjoying our 2014 Mazda6 the last couple years. It is sporty, fun to drive, and the touring trim offers a nice interior. Even the base level is nice. We test drove an altima, camry, and fusion before the Mazda. The mazda blew them all out of the water as far as feeling like MY car.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:12 am

frugalhen wrote:
StevieG72 wrote:Toyota / Lexus would be your best bet. They have proven reliability. I am thoroughly disgusted with my Ford and will likely purchase a Toyota as my next vehicle.

Can you elaborate on why you are unhappy with the ford.

In the past four years, we had a 2010 Ford Taurus (new style) and a 2013 Ford Fusion. Both were company cars with dealership service every 5k miles religiously. I have personally taken the car to get service as my wife "never has the time" even though it is her car.

The Ford Taurus was out of service NINE days in three years due to brake failures. There were caliper issues on two wheels. The master cylinder failed at 40k. As the car was under warranty, the dealer did provide a loaner - a 2002 Ford Taurus. HOWEVER, it was a real PITA for me to have to give my car to my wife and make five trips to the dealership on brake issues. Also, on a popular model, they had problems getting all the parts for the repair. The car was turned in at 60k miles.

The Fusion has had no problems. However, at least twice a day, the car shifts pretty roughly. With Ford's past history of disposable transmissions, I am glad that we will returning in the car next year.

As a point of comparison, I have had my Toyota for eight years. I have only lost one day to a warranty issue. The Toyota dealership drove me to my place of work and back when I have needed service. I have had no breakdowns.

In fairness, I could say the same with my 1996 Oldsmobile BUT I did have engine failure at 120k, which is in this day an age, very unacceptable.

Jim85

Post by Jim85 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:17 am

Have a 2012 Ford Fusion. No problems whatsoever. My first non-Toyota. Recently rented a 2014 Fusion. Liked it even better, a little sportier, great gas mileage.