Find org to establish charity Haunt in Raleigh / RTP area?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tidalwave10

Find org to establish charity Haunt in Raleigh / RTP area?

Post by tidalwave10 »

While my own personal venture has been put on hold, what I'd rather do is get involved with my local community and establish a Haunted Attraction for charity in my area (Raleigh, NC / RTP Research Triangle Park / Wake or Durham County). I do a personal yard haunt at my residence which grows bigger each year. Parents always thank me for Going All Out (tastefully done, no guts, no gore, no startles--just spooky lightning / special effects ala Disney's Haunted Mansion).

I've been wanting to start volunteering my time far in advance of retirement to a good cause. And if all goes well, use that good will to motivate me to retire even earlier--because I think giving back is one of the highest callings I can think of. Blows my mind when some people, who seem not even to be passionate about their work, express not wanting to retire--because they don't know what they'd do with themselves. This irks me--the world's a fascinating place, and there is no shortage of charities and people in need who one could help if Financially Independent. I could retire tomorrow (in my early 40's), and live a vibrant, interesting, and meaningful rest of my life, no problem. Anyway...

So, rather than grow the Home Haunt, I want to:

A) Find and pitch charities in the the Raleigh, NC / RTP area on the idea of kid and family-friendly annual Haunted House fundraiser. Or Haunted Attraction as they are known in industry--yes, there are conventions and Trade Associations for this sort of thing. Last stats I heard were that Halloween is only second to Christmas re: money spent on holidays here in the U.S.

B) Find a hosting org that can provide building space--which could be partitioned into a Haunted Attraction for Charity. Could take most of a year to establish and build the haunt--there's scene / set design--and be a sponsor. It could be a local Fire Dept, Police Dept, EMS, with connections--and the Haunt could either benefit them or a cause they believe in, e.g. a Children's Hospital, Toys for Tots, Wounder Warrior, an Animal Welfare org like a local no-kill shelter, an org that supports families on Active Duty in the Military, etc.

C) Start collecting names of potentially interested volunteers--graphic artists, people with carpentry skills, those who know stagecraft (lighting, sound, special effects, possibly actors (although I do *not* like the Stalking Chainsaw type actors in some Haunted Attractions, whose goal is to make grown men soil themselves, etc).

Again, this would be a mostly kid-friendly, family friendly walk-through attraction. I do not "do" guts, gore, super startles, actors stalking guests, etc. On the other hand, if amping up the Scare Factor would result in a higher Take for the benefiting Charity, I'm OK going that route. It's just my preference to have a more mild, less intense experience ala Disney's Haunted Mansion. On the other hand, people like--and pay good money--to have the Dickens scared out of them. So I'm open minded. Just thinking of what any given charity might find acceptable vs. unacceptable.

Here's a thought: what about partitioning a show building into two pathways--two haunts in the same place:

1) Mild Path - for the Little Ones and their parents; or those who want spooky fun atmosphere without any grossness
2) Intense Path - bring in teens and adults who want their Zombie Apocalypse-type experience--high volume, lots of startles, darkness, disorientation, etc.

That would be the best of both worlds. And might bring in the largest take for a Charity? Heck, could charge independently for each Path--like putt putt golf operations having two separate courses, right? Thinking highly themed ones like Disney's Winter / Summerland courses down in Orlando. Or Universal Studio's City Walk Alien / Classic Monster mini-golf courses. Both Disney and Universal charge separately for each course.

Where do I begin with A, B, and C? I'm highly motivated to want to establish an annual charitable Haunted Attraction. Because it would combine my love of Halloween / special effects / holiday decoration with the privilege of helping a good cause / charity.

Please feel free to brainstorm and throw anything out there. I seriously want to do this for 2015 and/or 2016. Again, it's a Long Game; could take most of year, or year plus, to get all the pieces in place--benefiting charity, hosting org / sponsor, securing free use of a building, finding a critical mass of volunteers, etc. Need to start sooner than later, now that Halloween 2014 is over. And before I start my Christmas lighting display. :-)

I don't know where to begin. But want to start now. Any ideas / advice would be helpful. If anyone here is interested in being part of this in any capacity--whether it be on an advisory committee, helping with audio/visual effects & design, carpentry work, prop building, working the haunt--all volunteer crew, has to be to maximize the Take for the charity--please let me know. I figure the first step is just to start collecting email address of interested parties.

Anything would help, so please post.
kDictavissent

Re: Find org to establish charity Haunt in Raleigh / RTP are

Post by kDictavissent »

The Durham Jaycees have been doing a haunted house for about 40 years now. Before the American Tobacco project's basement was renovated into space for high-tech startups, they held it there a year or too (an old factory is an appropriately creepy place!) This year, I think they were at Northgate Mall. You might think about reaching out to them -- I am sure they would be interested in the skills and passions you are looking to bring, or at worst, might have some tips and advice to offer?
asterix0

Post by asterix0 »

Try a convention like this one:

WWW.HALLOWEENSHOW.COM

They have sessions that address many of your questions.
Topic Author
tidalwave10

Post by tidalwave10 »

kDictavissent wrote:The Durham Jaycees have been doing a haunted house for about 40 years now. Before the American Tobacco project's basement was renovated into space for high-tech startups, they held it there a year or too (an old factory is an appropriately creepy place!) This year, I think they were at Northgate Mall. You might think about reaching out to them -- I am sure they would be interested in the skills and passions you are looking to bring, or at worst, might have some tips and advice to offer?
Thanks Asterix and kD. I may reach out to the Durham Jaycees for advice / counsel--very glad to learn they have a long-running Haunt. But I'm in Clayton, and so that's a bit of a haul for me. Would prefer to establish something closer to home, more toward Raleigh downtown. The State Fairgrounds might be the perfect venue if I could find a connection there. Since it's open much of the year with various conventions shows, flea markets, etc. Lots of dormant space that could serve a great cause.
Topic Author
tidalwave10

Post by tidalwave10 »

I've emailed the Raleigh Jaycees to see if they've any interest. If they decline (I'm in my early 40's, and so wouldn't technically qualify for membership in the Jaycees), who would others suggest sourcing? And which Civic org do Jaycees typically migrate to--or what options are typically available to them--when they reach age 41? The age range for membership is stated to be 18 to 40. There's got to be a Civic org in the Raleigh area that would like to help host a fundraising Haunted House for a deserving charity.

I've been wanting to get into the habit of giving back. And seek to "bake in" charity & philanthropy to the venture I've mentioned starting but have stalled on (challenges, deadlines, and pressures at my Day Job). In fact, I believe getting engaged with charity work ASAP will incent me to be an even better passive investor--the incentive being to retire as early as possible to maximize the hours I'd have to do volunteer work for causes I believe in with others who share a passion for those causes--or merely a common passion in something like Haunted Attraction in service of a good generic charity or foundation that makes grants to other deserving charitable entities. Could be for medical research as well. Dunno. But the opportunities to volunteer and give back seem boundless.

It's irksome to me to hear some colleagues relate that they're not sure they want to retire because they'd have no idea what they'd do with their time. And this is not from people I believe to be particularly passionately, incandescently engaged with and about their work. Don't know if it's lack of imagination, emotional maturity, etc. But I find it astonishing and puzzled by the sentiment.

If one loves one's work to the degree to which they'd nearly Do it For Free; work where they can hardly wait to arrive each day at the office--different ballgame / ballpark. Then Work is Play--more meaningful, etc. Wish people were more mindful in general of the broader world outside salaried life and the needs of others / causes. Seems like it often takes a personal tragedy for many to get involved in volunteer / charity work, e.g. a close family member diagnosed with cancer, a terminal rare disease, heart disease, etc. I'd rather not wait for Tragedy to fall upon me or my family and friends before I give back. Merely being born in the U.S., to me, is like winning the lottery. Such opportunity and privilege. Feels irresponsible not to do something to give back based on the inheritance and advantage of simply being born here.

And with that... anything would help. Please advise on finding a receptive hosting org for a Raleigh / Wake County area Haunted Attraction. What options are open to me--which are the better options, preferably in rank order--for proceeding?
tidalwave10 wrote:
kDictavissent wrote:The Durham Jaycees have been doing a haunted house for about 40 years now. Before the American Tobacco project's basement was renovated into space for high-tech startups, they held it there a year or too (an old factory is an appropriately creepy place!) This year, I think they were at Northgate Mall. You might think about reaching out to them -- I am sure they would be interested in the skills and passions you are looking to bring, or at worst, might have some tips and advice to offer?
Thanks Asterix and kD. I may reach out to the Durham Jaycees for advice / counsel--very glad to learn they have a long-running Haunt. But I'm in Clayton, and so that's a bit of a haul for me. Would prefer to establish something closer to home, more toward Raleigh downtown. The State Fairgrounds might be the perfect venue if I could find a connection there. Since it's open much of the year with various conventions shows, flea markets, etc. Lots of dormant space that could serve a great cause.
Topic Author
tidalwave10

Post by tidalwave10 »

Any thoughts? Anything would help. This will be a "long game." For the remote possibility of launched this event for the 2015 Halloween Season, I must start now. 2016 is fine. But the sooner a deserving charity can benefit from a fundraiser like this, the better.

Am I doing anything wrong, e.g. should I pre-select a deserving, and accepting of the idea, charity first? *Then* perform a hosting org search?

Again, any thoughts and ideas would help.
Topic Author
tidalwave10

Post by tidalwave10 »

tidalwave10 wrote:Any thoughts? Anything would help. This will be a "long game." For the remote possibility of launched this event for the 2015 Halloween Season, I must start now. 2016 is fine. But the sooner a deserving charity can benefit from a fundraiser like this, the better.

Am I doing anything wrong, e.g. should I pre-select a deserving, and accepting of the idea, charity first? *Then* perform a hosting org search?

Bump. Hoping perhaps someone new may be reading this Board today and can offer ideas / leads. Anything will help.
Topic Author
tidalwave10

Post by tidalwave10 »

tidalwave10 wrote:
tidalwave10 wrote:Any thoughts? Anything would help. This will be a "long game." For the remote possibility of launched this event for the 2015 Halloween Season, I must start now. 2016 is fine. But the sooner a deserving charity can benefit from a fundraiser like this, the better.

Bump. Hoping perhaps someone new may be reading this Board today and can offer ideas / leads. Anything will help.
Bumping up for the weekend.

Should I be tap Corporate Sponsorship like RedHat or SAS for this? If so, anyone have a good contact in either org? Might be good to have corporate sponsorship from companies with HQs in the Raleigh area; or at least in the State of North Carolina (I could see Lowes Hardware as a potential sponsor, contributing building supplies and materials for the Haunt).
Topic Author
tidalwave10

Post by tidalwave10 »

Bumping up for the holidays. Wonder if I should make an appointment with the local Raleigh SCORE office. Although SCORE is intended to provide free counseling to entrepreneurs, creating a large charitable event is a venture of sorts with many moving parts--staffing, budgeting, legal issues, etc.

Still looking for more ideas. Thanks for those who've contributed already. Will have to get cranking on this extra hard after the holidays.

Happy Thanksgiving to all! Wish me luck--I'm flying to New England where a nor'easter is predicted...
Topic Author
tidalwave10

Post by tidalwave10 »

tidalwave10 wrote:Bumping up for the holidays. Wonder if I should make an appointment with the local Raleigh SCORE office. Although SCORE is intended to provide free counseling to entrepreneurs, creating a large charitable event is a venture of sorts with many moving parts--staffing, budgeting, legal issues, etc.

Still looking for more ideas. Thanks for those who've contributed already. Will have to get cranking on this extra hard after the holidays.

Happy Thanksgiving to all! Wish me luck--I'm flying to New England where a nor'easter is predicted...
Still looking for further leads if anyone has some, thanks.