Lincoln MKC - anyone tried this one out?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Browser

Lincoln MKC - anyone tried this one out?

Post by Browser » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:06 pm

The new Lincoln MKC looks interesting - cross shops with the Acura RDX, Volvo XC60, and other small luxury SUVs. Right now seems to be in short supply at dealerships. Wondering if anyone has tried one out or bought one and what your opinions about it are?
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

GuyFromGeorgia

Re: Lincoln MKC - anyone tried this one out?

Post by GuyFromGeorgia » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:36 pm

I got a $25 giftcard for talking to the Lincoln people at the mall and doing a test drive a few weeks back. It looks like a solid car and Lincoln is pushing it hard. If you're in the market for that style and price range it is worth the look, but it is pretty pricey IMO.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:00 pm

Isn't is a rebadged Ford Escape?

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:40 am

I have tried this vehicle. It was part of Lincoln date night so I got to drive it around for 48 hrs. They also gave us a card to use towards dinner/lunch which was 100+. I was pleasantly surprised. This vehicle is *quite* good in handling and luxury. I did not expect the handling to be that good in this brand.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:08 am

Same as a Ford Escape, Mercury Mariner, Land Rover LR2. Used to also be a Mazda Tribute and Lincoln had a model (forgot the old name). I'd be at the Ford dealer saving $10k for the same vehicle with different badges and slightly different body pieces.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:44 am

I don't know about the vehicle itself, but the spoofs of the MKC commercials with Matthew McConaughey are great.

This one is from the Ellen show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K69chHMtrs4

This one is from SNL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3eN9u5N2Q4
Last edited by Bustoff on Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:43 am

It's spiffed-up Ford Escape. It's good looking and all, but several thousand more than a fully-loaded Escape, though you can get a few better features/options. I personally can't get past paying $40k for a small SUV with a 4-cyl engine. I have yet to see a MKC on the road, though everyone and their brother seems to own the latest Escape where I live.

Browser

Post by Browser » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:21 pm

Cherokee8215 wrote:It's spiffed-up Ford Escape. It's good looking and all, but several thousand more than a fully-loaded Escape, though you can get a few better features/options. I personally can't get past paying $40k for a small SUV with a 4-cyl engine. I have yet to see a MKC on the road, though everyone and their brother seems to own the latest Escape where I live.
Kind of like saying that the Acura RDX is a spiffed up Honda CRV, or that a Lexus is a spiffed up Toyota Rav4. Do you have any facts, or is it just your opinion?

Lee Saage

Post by Lee Saage » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:29 pm

Browser wrote:
Cherokee8215 wrote:It's spiffed-up Ford Escape. It's good looking and all, but several thousand more than a fully-loaded Escape, though you can get a few better features/options. I personally can't get past paying $40k for a small SUV with a 4-cyl engine. I have yet to see a MKC on the road, though everyone and their brother seems to own the latest Escape where I live.
Kind of like saying that the Acura RDX is a spiffed up Honda CRV, or that a Lexus is a spiffed up Toyota Rav4. Do you have any facts, or is it just your opinion?
This from the Consumer Reports model summary:
The MKC adds luxury and high-tech features to the Ford Escape platform.
Most of my money went to fast cars, fast living and good wine. The rest I just wasted.

semperlux

Post by semperlux » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:05 pm

From this link:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/car-com ... n_mkc_2015

Looks like the core difference between the 2 (Ford Escape & MKC) is a turbo 4 with higher HP & torque, & larger wheels.

ourbrooks

Post by ourbrooks » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:22 pm

They're made in the Ford Louisville plant which also makes Ford Escapes. Sometimes, differently branded cars are even made on the same line. I recall visiting Chrysler's Sterling Heights plant and seeing Dodge Stratus, Chrysler Cirrus and Plymouth Breese all made on the same line. I can't find out whether the Escape and the MKC are made on the same lines, but it's a possibility.

Browser

Post by Browser » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:04 pm

And then there's this:
"The four-wheeled result seen here is a surprisingly cohesive luxury CUV, one with significantly more aesthetic and dynamic separation from its Ford Escape sibling than the MKZ and its Fusion counterpart. Said another way, after flogging Lincoln's latest for hundreds of miles over canyon roads outside of Santa Barbara, we've come to understand that this is far from a re-grilled Dearborn special with luxury tinsel - it's a bona fide standalone product that readily displays the sort of clear differentiation seen in platform cousins like the Audi Q3 and the Volkswagen Tiguan. It's the real deal." -- Autoblog

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:13 pm

If you keep your car a long time, I would go with the Acura for reliability reasons.