Men's Personal Hygiene Products

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
karpems

Men's Personal Hygiene Products

Post by karpems »

Looking to upgrade my products a little from basic drug store products without breaking the bank.

Anyone have any recommendations for products or lines of products(shampoo, bodywash, shaving cream, etc.)?
hicabob

Re: Men's Personal Hygiene Products

Post by hicabob »

jdb

Post by jdb »

There was a prior valuable post on nasal hair trimming.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

I'm a big fan of Arm & Hammer products. Their unscented deodorant is my favorite.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Cremo is a pretty good cheap shaving cream, not a lather product. For a shave cream used with a brush, i like taylors of old bond street, and even better is Geo f trumper. For razors like the popular mach 3 etc, either dollar shave club or harrys, of course a lot cheaper to go retro with double edge razor.
Mike

Post by 123 »

I like to spice my life up as well. I alternate between Crest, Colgate, and Pepsodent. Makes me feel really wicked.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
LongerPrimer

Post by LongerPrimer »

Department Store, toiletries. :greedy but normally I use what wifey has..
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

I came across this shaving cream a few months ago.

http://nyshavingcompany.com/shop/index. ... cream.html

Classic barber shop smell. A little goes a very long way. So much that you will spend way more on crapo foam shaving cream before you work your way through a container of this. And with an old school safety razor - it's the best. :sharebeer
zbxb006

Post by zbxb006 »

Duke Cannon has some interesting products, and an interesting approach.
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

I am very susceptible to razor burn, and Nivea For Men's sensitive post-shave balm has been the most effective product I've found for limiting that.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

I use edge sensitive skin gel for shaving. I'm told it clogs up the sink but I like it. For aftershave I use the very un-Boglehead Hugo Boss splash. Have to buy it on eBay cause it looks like they only have it in the UK. Smells great and a bottle lasts a long time so I justify the cost to myself. American crew makes good smelling high quality hair products and I use the forming cream daily. For soap I use Axe body wash. Say what you will about their advertizing tactics, that stuff smells good (in particular I use their Phoenix scent). I've always used whatever shampoo the Mrs has in the shower. I think it's bedhead right now.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
Drew31

Post by Drew31 »

Bfwolf wrote:I am very susceptible to razor burn, and Nivea For Men's sensitive post-shave balm has been the most effective product I've found for limiting that.
I'll 2nd this product as very high quality.
spth

Post by spth »

Harry's. https://www.harrys.com. Online razors, blades, shaving cream and aftershave. Very nice products and less expensive then Gillette, etc. You can sign up for automatic delivery every month, 3 month, 6 month etc or order when you run out. Free shipping. One razor lasts me 2-3 months, but I probably should switch sooner.
CABob

Post by CABob »

Generally I think the standard drug store products are just fine. Most often I use Gillette Series shave gel and Old Spice body wash (I like the one for hair and body). For after shave lotions I prefer the cream lotions light or non-scented rather than the cologne or alcohol based lotions and have some trouble finding them in many drug stores. I have used Neutrogena and Nivea and find them acceptable but am looking for something else.
Bob
celia

Post by celia »

123 wrote:I like to spice my life up as well. I alternate between Crest, Colgate, and Pepsodent. Makes me feel really wicked.
You and your wicked smile: :D <---what happened to your teeth???
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.
3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR »

Atilla wrote:I came across this shaving cream a few months ago.

http://nyshavingcompany.com/shop/index. ... cream.html

Classic barber shop smell. A little goes a very long way. So much that you will spend way more on crapo foam shaving cream before you work your way through a container of this. And with an old school safety razor - it's the best. :sharebeer
Fully agree and will add that I moved over to shaving soap vs cream and like it better and I'm on the original soap purchase more than a year later, so it saves a lot of money even over the cream.

Link to the soaps:

http://nyshavingcompany.com/shop/index. ... -soap.html
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

Drew31 wrote:
Bfwolf wrote:I am very susceptible to razor burn, and Nivea For Men's sensitive post-shave balm has been the most effective product I've found for limiting that.
I'll third this, and note that the somewhat cheaper drug store version was not nearly as effective for me.
mw1739

Post by mw1739 »

I'll second the Taylor of Old Bond Street shave products.
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

climber2020 wrote:I'm a big fan of Arm & Hammer products. Their unscented deodorant is my favorite.
I switched over to Arm & Hammer toothpaste and my mouth has never felt fresher Thanks baking soda. :D
jstrazzere

Post by jstrazzere »

karpems wrote:Looking to upgrade my products a little from basic drug store products
Why?
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I don't even go to a drugstore, buy things at Walmart. My wife thinks I only go there to see the ladies.
Hondo

Post by Hondo »

I upgraded to Dollar Tree many years ago.
Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner »

I just use the Target brand Up&Up products. Seem to do the job. (Wife or any female co-workers have yet to complain)
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

FedGuy wrote:
Drew31 wrote:
I'll third this, and note that the somewhat cheaper drug store version was not nearly as effective for me.
Fourthed. Couldn't live without the stuff.
ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone »

I thought there were going to be a lot of confirms for Barbasol. You guys are making me feel frugal. 8-)

For those of you who don't use cheap shaving cream, do you actually notice a difference with the higher end product?
bltkmt

Post by bltkmt »

mhalley wrote:Cremo is a pretty good cheap shaving cream, not a lather product.

+1 on Cremo, although you don't have to use a brush (I don't). Fairly inexpensive and lasts a long time. Also Dorco razor and blades on Amazon - same as Dollar Shave club but cheaper.
Chip Spoons

Post by Chip Spoons »

jimday1982 wrote:
FedGuy wrote:
Drew31 wrote:
Fourthed. Couldn't live without the stuff.
+1

I use a DE safety razor, Neutrogena shave cream, and the Nivea balm. The Taylor of Old Bond shave cream in the tubs is a slice of heaven, but not cheap, and contains parabens. Don't like the Taylor hard-soap as much, but no parabens. Mostly off the brush, anyway. Takes too long.

My entry is this thing…

If you don't stink/sweat too much, this will save you a fortune.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

I have recently converted to Harry's (www.harrys.com) for shaving supplies. Happy with them so far. Good bye Gillette.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

A sharp blade and prepping your beard by washing it in warm/hot water will soften the hairs and using a sensitive skin shaving gel (I use Gillette series gel if it's on sale - a little goes a long way) before you whack them off with the blade.
If you have a dull blade, you will irritate the underlying skin. - no need for post-shave balm.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Anyone ever try Dollar Shave club? The commercial is pretty funny anyway.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
upperleftcoast

Post by upperleftcoast »

Proraso shaving products from Italy. First rate. Not too expensive. Merkur DE safety razor.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

bltkmt wrote:
mhalley wrote:Cremo is a pretty good cheap shaving cream, not a lather product.

+1 on Cremo, although you don't have to use a brush (I don't). Fairly inexpensive and lasts a long time. Also Dorco razor and blades on Amazon - same as Dollar Shave club but cheaper.
We get all of our razors from Dorco. $30 at last year's Black Friday sale and my wife and I still have about half the razors left. Also, I do not use shaving creme at all, but my wife can not live without Cremo. It's about $8 a tube and the tube usually lasts my wife 9-10 months of shaving her legs every other day. I can not imagine spending more than that on shaving creme (well, I personally spend zero), but to each their own.
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
A sharp blade and prepping your beard by washing it in warm/hot water will soften the hairs and using a sensitive skin shaving gel (I use Gillette series gel if it's on sale - a little goes a long way) before you whack them off with the blade.
If you have a dull blade, you will irritate the underlying skin. - no need for post-shave balm.
I shave after I shower to soften the hairs. I've tried many different gels. I use sharp blades. I still get razor burn. The Nivea balm is a life saver.
CABob

Post by CABob »

For those that like a shave cream such as Cremo, don't you find that they tend to clog the razor and the razor is hard to clean?
Bob
leonard

Post by leonard »

karpems wrote:Looking to upgrade my products a little from basic drug store products without breaking the bank.

Anyone have any recommendations for products or lines of products(shampoo, bodywash, shaving cream, etc.)?
Mama Bears Shave Soap.
Omega or Semogue Shave Brush.
Muele or other similar DE Shaving.
Good quality DE razor blade.
Shave bowl.

You are set for a great shave.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

climber2020 wrote:I'm a big fan of Arm & Hammer products. Their unscented deodorant is my favorite.
Me too!

Unfortunately it is not stocked in any local market I can find. Fortunately, I found it at Amazon.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
4stripes

Post by 4stripes »

Baxter of California has a great aftershave, based on that I'm sure the rest of their stuff is good too.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

Bfwolf wrote:I shave after I shower to soften the hairs. I've tried many different gels. I use sharp blades. I still get razor burn. The Nivea balm is a life saver.
I shave in the shower after holding my face under the hot water for a while, as my dermatologist recommended when I complained about razor burn. I still get razor burn, and agree with Bfwolf's assessment of the Nivea balm.